Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

oh jay posted:

He wasn't running away. He was running towards the bigger battle, intent on killing heroes to protect the villains.

Yeah. And Hawks was repeatedly trying every alternative. He offered Twice surrender. No dice. He then moved on to trying for a non-lethal takedown, despite the risk, except that Dabi made that route impossible. And then, when it was kill Twice or let Twice kill a lot of heroes, he did his job.

When someone's resisting arrest with lethal force, taking him out isn't murder. It's defense of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TheHan posted:

James Bond is like the one example you coulda picked where the narrative criticizes his actions!

Sometimes, maybe, rarely. More often the movie just goes "Wow that was hells of cool. Did oyu see that car out race a space laser?"

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

oh jay posted:

He wasn't running away. He was running towards the bigger battle, intent on killing heroes to protect the villains.

If his intent was simply to kill heroes, there was one right there. At the end he was absolutely trying to get away from the terrifying telekinetic knife man intent on executing him for crime of being born with the wrong quirk. (Typical in real-world legal systems, the justifiable use of deadly force in defense of others requires a clear and imminent threat, not merely an assumed potential future threat. (Hawks killing Dabi instead would have absolutely been justified.))

Contrast this situation to All for One, who absolutely represents a bigger danger to the public than Twice, but is still alive because All Might is actually capable of living up to the title of 'hero' on which this entire society is built. Which is why I want to see Hawks's misdeeds exposed, so the entire rotten edifice can come crumbling down and our protagonists can struggle to replace it with something better. Because that's a way more interesting story than "Killer Cop Saves Day, Leaves Trail of Bodies in Wake."

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
All Might literally tried to kill All For One before, it just didn't take.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Nephthys posted:

I really don't think you can be called a horrible person for using lethal force against a guy who very much could single-handedly turn the tides of this battle and cause the deaths of hundreds of heroes and civilians. I love Twice but he is a murderer and the stakes here are seriously way too high to mess around. Hawks tried doing it non-lethally as much as he could, but there wasn't any other option at that point.

It's kinda funny how killing him is objectively the only smart thing to do and the thread is up in arms because they didn't come up with it first.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ZiegeDame posted:

If his intent was simply to kill heroes, there was one right there. At the end he was absolutely trying to get away from the terrifying telekinetic knife man intent on executing him for crime of being born with the wrong quirk. (Typical in real-world legal systems, the justifiable use of deadly force in defense of others requires a clear and imminent threat, not merely an assumed potential future threat. (Hawks killing Dabi instead would have absolutely been justified.))

Contrast this situation to All for One, who absolutely represents a bigger danger to the public than Twice, but is still alive because All Might is actually capable of living up to the title of 'hero' on which this entire society is built. Which is why I want to see Hawks's misdeeds exposed, so the entire rotten edifice can come crumbling down and our protagonists can struggle to replace it with something better. Because that's a way more interesting story than "Killer Cop Saves Day, Leaves Trail of Bodies in Wake."

In one of his last moments, Dabi told Twice to "go nuts" and Twice replied "yeah." "At the end" he was definitely, 100% going to get clear for enough time to make enough clones to kill a bunch of cops.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

ZiegeDame posted:

Twice's last act was to send out a clone that murdered someone before it fell apart.

And he wasn't "executing him for crime of being born with the wrong quirk", he was executing him because he was a terroist about to commit mass murder who refused repeated requests to stand down.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ZiegeDame posted:

It isn't war, it's a police raid. Though in either context shooting a fleeing opponent in the back is not an action one typically considers heroic.

He wasn't really running away so much as running to a different part of the battle where he could help kill people. And he did, in fact, shank a guy in the back of the head.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
This chapter makes me think that Dabi's eventually going to be killed by Shigaraki. Dabi doesn't care about the League of Villains, and although Shigaraki wants to destroy everything I think he still does, in his insane way, care about the League members. Dabi's going to do something to endanger or even kill a member of the League (maybe Spinner since I don't think Dabi would consider him useful), Shigaraki's going to see or find out about it, and Dabi's going to be obliterated.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I like how you have to yadda yadda yadda literally every use of Twice's quirk to get to that argument over it being over being born the wrong way.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Weird to see the thread swing back from "actually the League of Villains is good" to "extrajudicial murder carried out by a government assassin is fine if you feel like it had a really good reason"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Viridiant posted:

This chapter makes me think that Dabi's eventually going to be killed by Shigaraki. Dabi doesn't care about the League of Villains, and although Shigaraki wants to destroy everything I think he still does, in his insane way, care about the League members. Dabi's going to do something to endanger or even kill a member of the League (maybe Spinner since I don't think Dabi would consider him useful), Shigaraki's going to see or find out about it, and Dabi's going to be obliterated.

Oh yeah, I totally see Dabi turning on the League at some point for his own selfish reasons. I see some kind of big confrontation with Spinner happening down the line since he's the other big Stain fanboy of the group.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

ZiegeDame posted:

In their epic showdown All Might wasn't trying to capture him alive, he failed to kill him because that was the win condition. Its unclear when All Might found out he had somehow survived having his skull caved into his torso like a Goomba.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, All Might and AfO were straight up trying to murder each other. I think that was the case in both fights actually, but in the rematch All Might didn't have enough left in the tank.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If All For One survived getting his skull crushed in by All Might in his prime, I'm not sure what a severely weakened All Might could even do to kill him at that point.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rhonne posted:

If All For One survived getting his skull crushed in by All Might in his prime, I'm not sure what a severely weakened All Might could even do to kill him at that point.

IIRC All For One was also severely weakened, just not as much as All Might was

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CharlestonJew posted:

IIRC All For One was also severely weakened, just not as much as All Might was

Yeah, recovering from having your face embedded in your own lungs will surely wind you.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
All For One got his head smashed in and is currently held in a prison where he can't move at all and he still regularly has a smile on his face. I wish I had that guy's confidence and cheer.

Preferably without the megalomania.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Gran Torino also mentioned that his Quirk loadout was completely different, so anything could have happened.

Although, imagine if he had kept Shock Nullification instead of giving it to the USJ Nomu...

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

oh jay posted:

Gran Torino also mentioned that his Quirk loadout was completely different, so anything could have happened.

Although, imagine if he had kept Shock Nullification instead of giving it to the USJ Nomu...

We see him use shock reversal at least once in the Kamino fight.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Sometimes, maybe, rarely. More often the movie just goes "Wow that was hells of cool. Did oyu see that car out race a space laser?"

Hmm fair, but only cause James Bond will always be a power fantasy in the end. In true comic book fashion this is just the “Why doesn’t Batman kill The Joker” debate but anime.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Anshu posted:

We see him use shock reversal at least once in the Kamino fight.

Different quirk that has to be actively used.

I'm wondering if United States of Smash could have broken through the Shock Nullification. The USJ Nomu wasn't even visibly hurt. It just got knocked away.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Doesn't All For One mention having doubles and triples of the same Quirks to compound them?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Doesn't All For One mention having doubles and triples of the same Quirks to compound them?

yeah there's a whole bit of him going '[x quirk] times 5, [y quirk] times 6!' during the big fight

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I thought it was more categories than specific quirks, because when almost everybody in the world has a superpower you're bound to see duplicates and broadly similar abilities, but I could easily be remembering wrong.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

He got a bunch of really strong punching type quirks together so he could beat All Might at his own game(but it was actually all a smokescreen for his impact reversal quirk).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Weird to see the thread swing back from "actually the League of Villains is good" to "extrajudicial murder carried out by a government assassin is fine if you feel like it had a really good reason"

I seem to remember said government assassin asking Twice pretty nicely to just not use his quirk to commit terrorism anymore and turn himself in before killing him

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 6, 2020

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Really sad that twice got murdered for the crime of having a powerful quirk and nothing else. I love the part of the argument where we're drawing parallels between police brutality/murder and assassinating a literal one man army with malicious intent who is currently in the midst of a war against society at large who has murdered in the past and plans to immediately murder as many heroes as he can en masse as confirmed by both his immediate words and actions and his history.

I love Twice, and I would have been incredibly happy to see him murder a lot of heroes in some nice detailed 2 page spreads, but Hawks was more than justified in killing him.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dabi saying that he doesn't care about Evil Friendship or anyone else pairs nicely with Twice affirming his loyalty to the League because they're his friends and gave him a place to belong.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

mycot posted:

I like how you have to yadda yadda yadda literally every use of Twice's quirk to get to that argument over it being over being born the wrong way.

Twice wasn't killed because he was born with his quirk, he was killed because of how he chose to use it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Put pretty simply,

The guy Twice iced nicely sufficed to ice Twice

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, there's no one who's a villain purely because of being born with their Quirk; every single villain we've seen could all be perfectly fine and good heroes in their own way. Shinsou's entire character arc is about that very point.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think Mina, the girl that looks like a literal space alien and attacks with skin dissolving acid being a hero should be enough to counter those kinds of arguments

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But she has sick moves! No one with sick moves can be evil!

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Though Mina looks like a particularly adorable alien.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
When do we get the flashback to when Mina accidentally melted her little brother's face off the first time she manifested her quirk?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ZiegeDame posted:

When do we get the flashback to when Mina accidentally melted her little brother's face off the first time she manifested her quirk?

Maybe she melted herself just like Kirishima. Her skin isn't supposed to be pink, it's just all one big open wound.

The horns are all natural of course.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
It'll be pretty funny is the super cool rabbit themed hero dies on Easter.

Hoping she'll just end up in the fake limbs club though like the color page.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think Mina, the girl that looks like a literal space alien and attacks with skin dissolving acid being a hero should be enough to counter those kinds of arguments

I don't think Mina's quirk is really anywhere near as 'evil' seeming as like Shinsou's or some of the VA's. Heck even compared to some others in 1A it's fairly normal, Shouji's quirk is to form gross flesh tentacles with eyes and teeth from his back and he always wears a mask because he doesn't want people to be terrified of his face.

But even so like among the good guys who have these messed up quirks none of them really seemed to have been shunned by society or fallen through the cracks as hard as the VA guys did, or at least we've never really been shown as such. Shinsou's scary quirk meant everyone immediately judged him unfairly and he wasn't given a fair shake at UA and kept out of the Hero program, but Twice's gave him huge identity issues and left him with a giant existential fear about whether he was real or not with seemingly the only person who cared about him prior to the VA being an underworld information broker. The story just really hammers home how hosed over a lot of the VA were and there's nothing really comparable from the heroes side so far, though granted we've had way more in-depth looks at the VA backstories than most of the heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Twice also was a one man crime spree before his traumatic clone slaughter experience.