Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

there's also odysseys discovery tour which is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

anilEhilated posted:

IIRC it's on the map, there's a filter that shows the historical locations you discovered and if you center your map on them it gives a couple sentences on it.

e: f; b. Anyhow, it's nowhere near as cool as Origins' tour mode but I found it pretty interesting.
AC Odyssey got its own discovery tour mode at the end of last year, so if you were interested in that, it's now an option.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

AC Odyssey got its own discovery tour mode at the end of last year, so if you were interested in that, it's now an option.
notreinstallingnotreinstallingnotreinstalling I SHALL RESIST

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

anilEhilated posted:

notreinstallingnotreinstallingnotreinstalling I SHALL RESIST

Η αντίσταση είναι μάταιη, μαλάκα.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Having played Odyssey, I can tell what the last word means and it will not work.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sounds like someone doesn't wanna learn cool facts about Greece

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

anilEhilated posted:

Having played Odyssey, I can tell what the last word means and it will not work.
Tell us the truth. It's already working, isn't it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
...Actually I started the download a couple minutes ago. No idea where I'll find the time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Shadow of War on Brutal difficulty is so little of a traditional open-world game. I can't follow the narrative quest because there's two honking great orcs with no appreciable weaknesses and thirty levels on me sitting in the middle of the battlefield. I can barely fight two at at my level. Every attempt at doing a side-activity (orc event) either ends in me accidentally killing the orc again instead of dominating them or with a success screen popping up in the middle of battle to let me know one of them just completed their objective and leveled up and now I have to shame them all over again. I equipped a ring that said it caused orcs to explode on defeat thinking that sounded really good and it's really good at loving murdering me because there's both a substantial time-delay and friendly-fire on it. Every level is insanely hard to earn because there's no grind, it's just whether you defeat a captain or not. Your dominated captains continue attempting events at your level, which means you can either help them for zero rewards or roll the dice that they die like a loving idiot hunting a single caragor and get replaced by a new orc you have to repeat the same shame/defeat dance with.

I'm really enjoying it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Funso Banjo posted:

In the board game thread you’ll find a link to our Board game goons discord. We have a Tabletop Simulator channel and arrange games there.

Thanks for that - but I am having some problems with it and workshop and I'm sure it's my own idiocy. Not sure who to ask super simple questions to.

I modified a game in workshop (added my own board) but for some stupid reason the board itself isn't uploaded to workshop - or, it's not downloading the board for anyone who subscribed to it. This is driving me nuts I've literally been farting around with it for hours now.. longer than it took me to make the mod in the first place.

My mod is available, but it's only .0068 MB, the board itself is a 2.3MB image so I know it's not attached and no matter what I do it isn't attaching. Driving me nuts.

E: might be working now... Ffs I dunno what was happening. Ugh.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 6, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

OK AC talk:

I played AC1, 2, Brotherhood, Revelations, and I've been trying to find the time to fire up AC3 or AC4 (I really want to do these sequentially, and I'm stubborn).

AC:Odyssey sounds good, do you have to have played the others, Syndicate, Rogue, Origins, uhmm Unity? for Odyssey to make sense?

Also: Will playing Odyssey make playing the previous games not worth doing?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

AC:Odyssey sounds good, do you have to have played the others, Syndicate, Rogue, Origins, uhmm Unity? for Odyssey to make sense?

Definitely not. Odyssey and Origins are almost entirely their own thing, with only simple references to the rest of the series.

Playing Odyssey won't exactly invalidate the other games, but it's goddamn huge so you might just be burnt out on open world stuff in general for a while.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Odyssey will not invalidate other games in a "same formula, but way better" way because it and Origins are basically open world RPGs with Witcher 3-like quest structure and pacing. It might invalidate them in a "that was so good, I don't know why I would ever play the old ones" though!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Assassin's Creed 3 was never worth doing.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah, I started playing the series after Origins, and I don't feel like I was missing anything important. Both games have some brief stuff set in the present, but there is so little of it, I don't even know why they bother.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

OK AC talk:

I played AC1, 2, Brotherhood, Revelations, and I've been trying to find the time to fire up AC3 or AC4 (I really want to do these sequentially, and I'm stubborn).

I haven't played any of the other ACs and started with Origins. The modern day parts were confusing but also really really short so it didn't matter and I really focused on being Bayek and exploring egypt in this open-world rpg with lots of climbing. The "metaplot" of assassins vs templars was neatly folded into the egyptian/roman politics as all of your major targets are linked by being in some kind of cult or order or something. I barely remember because 90% of my time was spent playing the game.

Seven hours into Odyssey and it's even more divided from the past entries - the only modern day part was like 2 minutes at the beginning and it was folded into the "pick if you want to play as Kassandra or the other guy" so it barely mattered. There's zero ties to Origins so far, just me running around Greece as a mercenary making trouble. I also appreciate how thin the cutscenes are - a few at the beginning, then here and there as I go through the main quest but it's super thin which is lovely.

Compare that to the hour or two I put into the AC with Notre Dame that Ubisoft gave out for free and that thing was basically an interactive movie with next to no gameplay. I never even got to Notre Dame because I was so uninvested in what it was doing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

How are Origins/Odyssey on the "distract you with forced diversions into the present-day plot" front?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Protip: You don't need to play any AC game to make later ones make sense.

Proest Tip: You don't need to play any game ever to make later ones in the same series makes sense.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bruceski posted:

How are Origins/Odyssey on the "distract you with forced diversions into the present-day plot" front?

I spent 10-15 minutes in the modern day in Origins out of 25 hours of play

I then spent 2 minutes in the modern day in Odyssey out of 7 hours of play

So basically next to nothing.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Bruceski posted:

Origins has a couple of segments that are like Desmond's in 2/Rev where you play a very short assassin mission in the real world.

Odyssey only reference to modern day is when you pick your character at the start afaik.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

On the off chance that anyone in here would like to talk about something other than Ubisoft games for a bit, I put a lot of time into A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build because it's a puzzler that's light on the system so I could play it inbetween Odyssey rounds. It's very good! It feels like Baba Is You but focused on ONE type of puzzle: get three balls of specific size stacked on each other. You can push. You cannot pull. The balls get bigger when you roll them over snow. Make a snowperson!

It's super charmingly presented, fiendishly clever, and I am stuck on the final few puzzles. Only time will tell if I finish the game or let it sit incomplete like I did to Baba Is You. To my shame, I am stupid at puzzles.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Baba is You is brutally hard, and I've been solving one puzzle every month or so! Not constantly playing, like just, waking up with an idea of the solution one day.

Also it's getting a level creator mode so Baba is You is You soon!

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Samuringa posted:

Origins has a couple of segments that are like Desmond's in 2/Rev where you play a very short assassin mission in the real world.

Odyssey only reference to modern day is when you pick your character at the start afaik.

Odyssey has a couple of small bits near and at the end iirc. Its a miniscule fraction of even the amount Black Flag had.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Bruceski posted:

My file in Odyssey is at 84 hours and climbing and there have been exactly two (2) real world bits that I can recall. Once at the start when you pick your character, and then one more at a bit later point where you pop out for like 2 minutes, can look around the little apartment the animus is set up in, and then go back in.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I think even Ubisoft realizes now that the modern day segments were a mistake to begin with.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

I think even Ubisoft realizes now that the modern day segments were a mistake to begin with.

I feel like there could have been an interesting way to pull them off, but it would have required interweaving them together more, or splitting them apart further, because even in Origins when I was in the modern world I spent that time going "bayek? where's bayek?" because I was a thousand times more invested in that story.

Just.... do something other than treat the historical segments like a minigame the modern people are devoted to playing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There isn't too much of it in the main game, but that can't be said for the Atlantis DLC.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I actually quite liked the real world sections in AC2 (or Brotherhood, it's been a while) because they were decidedly okay and gave the impression of Desmond actually learning through the Animus which would obviously pay off with a really cool modern day Assassins Creed right?

Nah. All buildup, no payoff.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

They made them absolutely terrible in AC3, hope you like this slow walking guard following stealth sequence in this narrow hallway.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 6, 2020

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The real world stuff was at its most interesting in the first few but it was becoming apparent rather quickly they didn't know what they really wanted to do with it as opposed to the animus worlds.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

Shadow of War on Brutal difficulty is so little of a traditional open-world game. I can't follow the narrative quest because there's two honking great orcs with no appreciable weaknesses and thirty levels on me sitting in the middle of the battlefield. I can barely fight two at at my level. Every attempt at doing a side-activity (orc event) either ends in me accidentally killing the orc again instead of dominating them or with a success screen popping up in the middle of battle to let me know one of them just completed their objective and leveled up and now I have to shame them all over again. I equipped a ring that said it caused orcs to explode on defeat thinking that sounded really good and it's really good at loving murdering me because there's both a substantial time-delay and friendly-fire on it. Every level is insanely hard to earn because there's no grind, it's just whether you defeat a captain or not. Your dominated captains continue attempting events at your level, which means you can either help them for zero rewards or roll the dice that they die like a loving idiot hunting a single caragor and get replaced by a new orc you have to repeat the same shame/defeat dance with.

I'm really enjoying it.

I am also enjoying this right now. Biggest gripe is that the captains all talk a bit too much; they really needed to shorten most of those “Ranger! I’m going to kill you” speeches. That is one thing shadow of Mordor did better!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Funky Valentine posted:

i like it as a framing device because i think it gives the developers license to do stuff i don't think they'd try putting into a strict "play history" version of the game, like the god invasions in origins.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

I am also enjoying this right now. Biggest gripe is that the captains all talk a bit too much; they really needed to shorten most of those “Ranger! I’m going to kill you” speeches. That is one thing shadow of Mordor did better!
even the orc whose entire gimmick is that he only says a single word talks too much

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I actually quite liked the real world sections in AC2 (or Brotherhood, it's been a while) because they were decidedly okay and gave the impression of Desmond actually learning through the Animus which would obviously pay off with a really cool modern day Assassins Creed right?

Nah. All buildup, no payoff.

I never finished the AC2 trilogy but the first 2 were loving amazing at the time and haven't been matched by most games shy of Breath of the Wild or the newer AC games.

All that hype and then AC3, being set in revolutionary America was the biggest wet fart of a franchise I can think of, and the only reason the series kept going was AC4 was wildly different and it was pirates and open seas adventure which everyone loved.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

GrandpaPants posted:

I think the episodic nature really worked against it, since if it were a complete product, people can talk about it and discuss the story, but I don't think anyone was speculating on what was coming next and whatnot. I'm not even sure if anyone even cared about LIS1 in that way.

People definitely did the thread fallout over the ending was apocalyptic at the time.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

On the off chance that anyone in here would like to talk about something other than Ubisoft games for a bit, I put a lot of time into A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build because it's a puzzler that's light on the system so I could play it inbetween Odyssey rounds. It's very good! It feels like Baba Is You but focused on ONE type of puzzle: get three balls of specific size stacked on each other. You can push. You cannot pull. The balls get bigger when you roll them over snow. Make a snowperson!

It's super charmingly presented, fiendishly clever, and I am stuck on the final few puzzles. Only time will tell if I finish the game or let it sit incomplete like I did to Baba Is You. To my shame, I am stupid at puzzles.

Just in case you didn't know, that game does not end when you've built your last snowman. The other half of the game is even more insane.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

OK AC talk:

Anything resembling a coherent modern day plot ends with AC3. They just throw whatever the gently caress at the wall with each successive entry.

I mean, AC3 is connected to Liberation (which you shouldn't play) and AC4 is connected to Freedom Cry and Rogue, but thankfully the sidequels don't actually matter in terms of meta plot (and everything in Liberation is actively discarded).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

There isn't too much of it in the main game, but that can't be said for the Atlantis DLC.
It's not that bad. For one, it's framed as its own story so you don't need to know anything else from other games. And they're very short gameplaywise - you just do some puzzles and there's one fight.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Anything resembling a coherent modern day plot ends with AC3. They just throw whatever the gently caress at the wall with each successive entry.
Yeah, there really isn't a plot and modern day framing device only gets more and more irrelevant with every game. Hell, some games don't ever bother, like Syndicate (which is fairly fun and also entirely standalone, if you ever want to play a more "classic" Asscreed game again.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, there really isn't a plot and modern day framing device only gets more and more irrelevant with every game. Hell, some games don't ever bother, like Syndicate
Yes it does. It has such important developments as "the rear end in a top hat character you wanted dead since game 2 almost dies, but then doesn't" and "our secondary characters almost get the mcguffin, but then don't".