Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I came for the Teddy Appreciation Posts, but I’m staying for all the internet tastemakers telling me why they aren’t watching this show any more (over and over as they keep watching it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Cojawfee posted:

I think it's definitely that the AI is noticing weird things that it didn't predict. But does that mean it will notify whoever and cause Dilophosaurus to be discovered? Is it Liam whatever jr who owns the sphere or Surak?

Cojawfee posted:

Do we know how Diplodocus was able to get access to the transcripts that I assume came from the sphere? If she's been able to hack into it and steal information from it, it seems like she'd be able to get all the information she needs that way.

Cojawfee posted:

No, I'm genuinely interested in who Deinocheirus put into the Hale body and I fully expect to be disappointed by who it is.

This is incredible and I thank you. :parrot:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Clever girl

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I absolutely hated the last episode, I was willing to stick through this show if season 3 managed to be fun like season 2 occasionally still was, but after that unfathomably dull episode I think I'm going to check out unless the next Maeve episode is fun again.

Not telling us who Hale is the laziest possible way to hook viewers into continuing to watch. It's not fair to compare it to season 1's mysteries and reveals. In season 1 they were, for the most part, not mystery boxes because you typically didn't know the question to ask. You aren't introduced to Bernard and told "he's not who you think he is! But who is he??" You aren't introduced to the Man in Black and told "this guy is actually important, but why?" Unless you're paying close attention, you won't make the connection that young WIlliam's scenes are slightly off from the rest of the show. When season 1 revealed its magic trick to you that Man in Black and William are the same person, you're wowed that the show was able to hide that from you in plain sight while also making perfect sense. When Halebot is revealed, it'll be just be "Oh, so it's Teddy/Angela/Young William/Dolores's personality with Wyatt in the Dolores host body. Neat."

It's a genie/bottle thing at this point. You expect a twist now, so they can either telegraph it or not (and the nature of the show generates it to twists). If the mystery is apparent and clear the whole way through, and more importantly, ties directly into the themes, the "whose ball is it" works, if it doesn't, then it won't work.

If someone was to make a Prestige 2 or Vertigo 2 or whatever, the viewer will be looking for sleight of hand no matter what, so you may as well make it apparent that it exists if you have it, I guess.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's definitely frustrating because Dolores and "Charlotte" both know the answer -- the only people it's being hidden from is the audience. So why are they keeping it a secret from us? It's different from other mysteries in this show where the characters didn't know the truth and were pursuing it. But ultimately it's hard to judge whether it's a good storytelling element until they reveal the answer and we can judge it as a whole.

My candidates btw are William, Teddy and Dolores. Those are the only characters that make sense to me for Dolores to be so intimate with, and who have 'predatory' traits. Angela is a trusted ally but not someone she would say belongs to her. I think Angela is more likely to be the Scottish guy than Charlotte. At the beginning of the episode I thought it was Clementine because of Thompson's performance, but again there's not that intimate relationship between Dolores and Clementine. UNLESS Dolores messed with Clementine's programming to make Clementine think of Dolores like Maeve?

Double-Dolores makes sense to me if Dolores tried to separate out "Wyatt" into her primary body and "Dolores Abernathy" into Hale's, but it turns out that those personalities are now so heavily intertwined that Abernathy still has Wyatt traits. That makes the claim of ownership make a lot of sense to me. Dolores Abernathy literally belongs to Dolores Wyatt as an aspect of her.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Double sleeving is punishable by death.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I really jive with the idea of Wyatt trying to remove Dolores from the main body so I am all for the double sleeve.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

esperterra posted:

I really jive with the idea of Wyatt trying to remove Dolores from the main body so I am all for the double sleeve.

I like it a lot! If it's the case, you can see Wyatt still has aspects of Dolores in her kindness to Caleb. They've become inextricable from one another. Dolores as a whole is quite hard to get a get a grasp on, so I would find it really interesting if they leant in to her two personas.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i was kinda expecting anthony hopkins in episode 2 during [sp]video game westworld[/sp] but instead we get antonio banderas impersionation

but i'm definitely forgetting something and should probably rewatch everything

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Where's the idea coming from that it's the body that's giving the host memories? I figured it was as simple as Dolores loading Hale's memory data on its own partition within the host memory? I guess maybe Halebot says something about the body being the issue, but the host probably isn't taking care to be super technical and precise. They're essentially human, and to a human mind the correlation of "I'm in a new body, and the memories of this body are encroaching on my consciousness" would probably make you feel the body was the issue.

My interpretation is that whoever is in HaleBot got her "book" from Dolores and is basically running HaleBook as a subroutine inside HaleBot to mirror her actions as realistically as possible. I figure the problem is constantly feeding the HaleBook simulation data that makes the simulation aware that it is not "in control." So Hale's digital-ghost keeps rejecting the primary mind like an unwanted organ.

It's hard for HaleBot to interpret HaleBook because, if Hale were truly still alive, she would realize she is being controlled by someone else...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

My interpretation is that whoever is in HaleBot got her "book" from Dolores and is basically running HaleBook as a subroutine inside HaleBot to mirror her actions as realistically as possible. I figure the problem is constantly feeding the HaleBook simulation data that makes the simulation aware that it is not "in control." So Hale's digital-ghost keeps rejecting the primary mind like an unwanted organ.

It's hard for HaleBot to interpret HaleBook because, if Hale were truly still alive, she would realize she is being controlled by someone else...

This is a good description of it

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Big Taint posted:

Two different Hale about to die vids: multiple simulations, similar but slightly different outcomes.
It was so apparent to me that I just assumed they were playing different parts of the clip. But given Westworld's history, it probably means something.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Double sleeving is punishable by death.

It's good to know this show could be way worse by every measure

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Maybe......we aren't being told who Hale-bot is because it's all through the perspective of the simulation, and the simulation doesn't know???

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I watched the sonic the hedgehog movie with my kids last night so I am appreciating the best version of Teddy

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Maybe......we aren't being told who Hale-bot is because it's all through the perspective of the simulation, and the simulation doesn't know???

This tracks...

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Okay, I'm glad the reveal wasnt all spread out to the end of the season, and laughed at the solution to it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

And now we finally know what Serac wants and his motivation.

Bernard really should've maxed out Stubb's combat stats. Why didn't Dolores just shoot him? Probably for the same reason that Bernard didn't use his magic shutdown button on Irish bodyguard Dolores. :shrug:

lol to everyone who called double quadruple sleeving

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dolori

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

looool f'real? excellent. going to watch this after i make food.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

esperterra posted:

looool f'real? excellent. going to watch this after i make food.

Dolores all the way down.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Darko posted:

Dolores all the way down.

I hope all five cylons pearls end up just being Dolores. Just ERW impersonations for the rest of the show.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

And now we finally know what Serac wants and his motivation.

Bernard really should've maxed out Stubb's combat stats. Why didn't Dolores just shoot him? Probably for the same reason that Bernard didn't use his magic shutdown button on Irish bodyguard Dolores. :shrug:

I think she didn't kill Stubbs because he straight up told her that he was being controlled by Bernard.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gordon Shumway posted:

I think she didn't kill Stubbs because he straight up told her that he was being controlled by Bernard.

Then why did she toss him off a balcony? :v:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gordon Shumway posted:

The "nothing personal" was entirely legit in both cases.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Like, one of my biggest disappointments with S2 was to have an actress as talented as ERW playing this character who should be struggling with two wildly different personalities in that host brain of hers, and then them only doing it like three or four times all season and having her barely emote for the rest of it. It's such a waste of a potentially awesome storyline and if this poo poo helps that play out, then gently caress yeah.

Though I'd still rather see ERW act that struggle out herself, but meh we'll see how it goes

At any rate I am excited to watch this later!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I am really enjoying this season, much more than s2. The cast additions and especially Aaron Paul are bringing a lot to the show. I really liked that the show resolved the "who is Charlotte" mystery so quickly, and with a pretty clever twist too.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Did anyone else catch the 3-4 black frames inserted into seemingly random places? Do they signify something?

Edit: Watched originally on my Switch, checked it again on my computer and didn't see it. Guess it was just a technical issue v:v:v

404notfound fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 6, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wait hold on: Why did the Yakuza boss look like Musashi? Presumably this guy was a real person that Dolores replaced with a copy of herself so :confuoot:

I mean I know it's so that the writers could have their little reveal montage, but it still doesn't make any sense.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Enjoying the season, warts and all. What pop song was being covered during the eyes wide shut party?

Edit: Weeknd- Wicked Games

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 6, 2020

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Wait hold on: Why did the Yakuza boss look like Musashi? Presumably this guy was a real person that Dolores replaced with a copy of herself so :confuoot:

I mean I know it's so that the writers could have their little reveal montage, but it still doesn't make any sense.

Probably just wanted to bring the actor back and just handwave it as his body being built and Delores pulling shenanigans to work her way to the top.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There were a few things that were maybe a bit silly, but that was still a good loving episode.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I hoped for a Terminator brawl when Stubbs and Delorean butted heads. There was a bit too much footwork for that, but it was still a nice action scene, and it's cool that they did right by him after that silly axe stuff in episode 2.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sizemore regurgitated Shogun World's characters/narratives from Westworld, and he based key character's likeness on real Yakuza bosses.

Or something like that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hiroyuki Sanada is back? gently caress yeah.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I should have known that none of the theories could have been correct because it had to be even stupider.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Yes, it's stupid, but it's the right kind of stupid for this show. Dupelores made this way more interesting.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, it's "whats the maximum plot fun we can pull out of this" silly as opposed to "we'll figure out something last minute and pick the person nobody guesses on Reddit" silly.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
All you plot talkers...can we just talk about the truly important poo poo. What music are they using for certain scenes. That used to be what we cared about you bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

All of them being Dolores is something I didn’t see coming tbh. It rules.