Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, it's a definite draw. The mic situation wasn't so terrible as to not make it worth it. I was just genuinely surprised that there was a level of awfulness beyond casual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Unfortunately there’s a level beyond that. A friend who hasn’t played in years rung me up to play the other day. We ended up on skail 24/7 2fort. It was unbearable beyond 2fort being a horrible map. Literal shrieking over the mic by multiple people when they died.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Trying to get a handle on community servers again after years of not using them. I tried some server that had bots, this is way off peak hours of course. I was on frontier, and the red team was just building forests of sentry guns, just carpeting the area ahead of the cart. They're bots, so it was pretty easy to push through, but it was a very different experience.

And of course there was some weirdo on the mic doing a "funny" voice stream of consciousness shtick. TF2 baybee.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
anybody else keep getting disconnected from casual matches?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Unfortunately there’s a level beyond that. A friend who hasn’t played in years rung me up to play the other day. We ended up on skail 24/7 2fort. It was unbearable beyond 2fort being a horrible map. Literal shrieking over the mic by multiple people when they died.

People who play 2fort unironically are the worst.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

NotNut posted:

anybody else keep getting disconnected from casual matches?
Yes. Everyone. Bots are doing DDOSes or something. It sucks.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

:emptyquote:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

skial 24/7 2fort servers half-full of bots will survive with CS:S 24/7 gungame surf to the end of days

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

it's been a minute

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Just getting back into TF2 this past week and man the casual matchmaking situation is pretty loving dire huh? The 1 ping bot cheaters were easy enough to remove with vote-kicks, but the past three days of auto-disconnect is pretty unavoidable.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

24/7 Dustbooooowl!

I'm kidding, what I actually want to play is 24/7 Hightower

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PMush Perfect posted:

24/7 Dustbooooowl!

I'm kidding, what I actually want to play is 24/7 Hightower

Nah it's Doublecross that's the place to be

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Vaah posted:

Just getting back into TF2 this past week and man the casual matchmaking situation is pretty loving dire huh? The 1 ping bot cheaters were easy enough to remove with vote-kicks, but the past three days of auto-disconnect is pretty unavoidable.

Yeah, that happened in the last week or so.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Nah it's Doublecross that's the place to be

Emptyquoting for truth

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I really wonder why people are making these lag bots. They have become unusually common in only 2 weeks. I tried the creator.tf servers and they were fine on west coast NA. No mic-spamming, but plenty of run-of-the-mill pubstomping.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
whole lotta turds stuck at home instead of working retail

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Doublecross is one of the fee good ctf maps, so it means it could probably be adapted to be better as something else

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ArfJason posted:

Doublecross is one of the fee good ctf maps, so it means it could probably be adapted to be better as something else

Most CTF maps would probably work better as CP or KOTH maps

Also Powerhouse would be so much better as a KOTH map as it's so much more interesting to fight over the middle section than the slog that is capturing last in that map

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Apparently there are lag bots now. I haven’t experienced on put a discord server I’m in has been complaining about then. I’ve been seeing a lot more hackers lately on NA east coast than I ever have before. They are pretty obvious spin bots and leave the second anyone vote kicks.
Every server I join, even if it's just one guy on the enemy team that I cannot votekick. I've spent 20 minutes looking for a pub game and it's all been lagbots I give up man. :negative:

I know I'm like a broken record to the millionth degree here, but GOLLY it sure was nice when we had a server browser and could pick and choose what we joined with our own free will. Community servers could be lovely but there were good ones and it was better than this dogshit.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I am going to fire the game back up today. Those casual bots sound bad. I'm going to try the creators.tf servers as everyone seems to recommend them.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sanctum posted:

I know I'm like a broken record to the millionth degree here, but GOLLY it sure was nice when we had a server browser and could pick and choose what we joined with our own free will. Community servers could be lovely but there were good ones and it was better than this dogshit.
I would go back to playing if we could have that. Not because I "preferred" the old way as a matter of taste or whatever, but because I could actually join a game within minutes instead of waiting for half an hour for the connection to fail over and over.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Xander77 posted:

I would go back to playing if we could have that. Not because I "preferred" the old way as a matter of taste or whatever, but because I could actually join a game within minutes instead of waiting for half an hour for the connection to fail over and over.

I mean there is still a server browser, you just can’t join valve servers (not that you’d want to right now with all the cheaters).

Creator.tf and potato.tf are good servers with a relatively vanilla play. The major differences being no crit and a quite a few custom maps. There’s skial as well, but they are 24/7 of the more popular maps (high tower, upward, turbine, etc.) that is still pretty vanilla except that that they had bots in low population settings, and will change afk players to bots instead of kicking them.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah the only difference is now you don't get to see that there's only 3 servers running kong king with people that aren't full, and you get to check a large number of maps at once. It's slightly more annoying to look for server running just one map or just one game mode, but it's a lot easier to search for several specific maps at once.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There's still some good community servers, but really, most in the list are idle/cp_orange/x1000/other poo poo that's barely related to the main game.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

nielsm posted:

There's still some good community servers, but really, most in the list are idle/cp_orange/x1000/other poo poo that's barely related to the main game.
Making the auto-matchmaking system default killed legitimate community servers in a hurry. We used to all know to avoid poo poo like skial because it used bots and switched to 32player once it was full.

TF2 did things the old way and it was better for people familiar with it, but also very certainly a greater hassle for new players since good luck figuring out what's a decent community server to frequent. The insufferable communities that arose led me to playing pubs with hud_saytext 0 ; voice_enable 0. It wasn't perfect, you had to know where to look to get an actual no-gimmick 24 player server with a normal map rotation, but at least an admin could quickly ban a hacker. And without community servers we'd never have tried custom maps. My map folder got to 50 gigs at one point.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tell me about it... I don't have problems using a server browser. I used QuakeSpy before it was renamed to GameSpy, unfortunately I also only had modem back then so never could play much online.
I just wish the Steam/Source server browser was better, at least had a way to filter out multiple keywords. If there is one it's at least not obvious.

Having a curated online experience isn't bad in itself, but it quickly turns worse than a community-managed online experience when the publisher doesn't actively maintain the curated servers.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1246665469744099329

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

:rip: Coaching

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

'respond quickly'

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Valve are such a weird company. If they decide to care about something they can use the force of a thousand suns. If they don't it's like they don't even exist.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sanctum posted:

an actual no-gimmick 24 player server with a normal map rotation

I mean, I did kinda just make one (along with a whole shitload of other retro PC game servers) and post it over in PGS... :v:

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Valve released an update today, which may have fixed the lagbot crashes.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Valve released an update today, which may have fixed the lagbot crashes.

Let’s hope this works. I think they need to outright kill the text mode, as a lot of the multi boxing is exploiting this feature. Not sure if it’s feasible though.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Guessing the update was successful. Last night I had an extremely long and good match on Sunshine that did not get lag botted.

Zookeeper Steve
Jul 21, 2008
Jumpers are still going ham on tf2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PINs9bXxsk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N51RSdwmmJo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80D45Jsuxww
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vev4bR9Gzk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKifiCF4kIA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbzyky-_lUA

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Is something going on where people can make alt bot accounts and run them concurrently, in the same server, while also playing there?

There are multiple hacking snipers on every server I connect to tonight but I have a hunch they aren't actual players hacking but scripted AI bots because they are all the same - act stupidly despite being all perfect aim snipers. Someone got mad at me when I immediately votekicked a duplicate playername that re-joined and referenced to me being 'no fun' the same as he did with my team 5 servers back of being 'no fun' when I had pocket medic and we actually trounced on 3 hackers (just bots probably) and won. This is multiple hackers every single game, without exception. Is TF2 lobby still around or what's the alternative to that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sanctum posted:

Is TF2 lobby still around or what's the alternative to that.

Come to the goon server https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919173

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Sanctum posted:

Is something going on where people can make alt bot accounts and run them concurrently, in the same server, while also playing there?

There are multiple hacking snipers on every server I connect to tonight but I have a hunch they aren't actual players hacking but scripted AI bots because they are all the same - act stupidly despite being all perfect aim snipers. Someone got mad at me when I immediately votekicked a duplicate playername that re-joined and referenced to me being 'no fun' the same as he did with my team 5 servers back of being 'no fun' when I had pocket medic and we actually trounced on 3 hackers (just bots probably) and won. This is multiple hackers every single game, without exception. Is TF2 lobby still around or what's the alternative to that.

MOD EDIT: Weird text I got rid of.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Sanctum posted:

There's definitely a thing of cheaters bringing along a party of bots to make themselves immune to getting vote kicked.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Galaxander posted:

There's definitely a thing of cheaters bringing along a party of bots to make themselves immune to getting vote kicked.

Those bot groups also will kick normal players, was briefly top-scoring as sniper on upward last night when like 6 people joined at once and that immediatey called a votekick on me that passed in like 3 seconds. Never kicked the friend I was playing with though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Vaah posted:

Those bot groups also will kick normal players, was briefly top-scoring as sniper on upward last night when like 6 people joined at once and that immediatey called a votekick on me that passed in like 3 seconds. Never kicked the friend I was playing with though.

Yeah. They usually don't try to be subtle anyway, but nothing makes it more obvious than a bunch of votes instantaneously cast whenever a vote is called.

I still wish they'd change voting to have parties count as one person so that a party of six would be 1/7 instead of 6/12.