Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Hubis posted:

I've got to think renting masonry bits is a bit like borrowing a condom

Even worse, because ya can't turn a drillbit inside out now can ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Soo.. My ex-wife liberated all my tools from me so I'm starting from scratch mostly.

Tool step 1:
Laser levels: Decent recommendations for a budget one? One of my upcoming projects is going to be building a wall to make a closet, and chalk lines suck, if the answer is a $200 kit I'll go chalk line but if there's decent enough stuff for ~100 I may pick one up instead of dealing with chalk lines. Will also be likely using this for other projects.

Edit: Preferably something that wont' get here in 40 days from amazon

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 3, 2020

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

tater_salad posted:

Soo.. My ex-wife liberated all my tools from me so I'm starting from scratch mostly.

Tool step 1:
Laser levels: Decent recommendations for a budget one? One of my upcoming projects is going to be building a wall to make a closet, and chalk lines suck, if the answer is a $200 kit I'll go chalk line but if there's decent enough stuff for ~100 I may pick one up instead of dealing with chalk lines. Will also be likely using this for other projects.

Edit: Preferably something that wont' get here in 40 days from amazon

I have a black and decker one that came free with a drill 15 years ago that sat in a box until last month when my wife was hanging some pictures. Unless you're looking for the fancier ones that place mutiple lines at once or shoot to multiple walls I don't think its a tool that quality really matters. If you cheap out your laser line will still be straight.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Fellow cheap laser level owner checking in: The line is definitely straight but I very much wish it was auto-leveling. It takes me more time to get it set up right then it would just make measurements and drop a chalk line or measure everything I'm doing individually.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I like my auto level Bosch a lot, it makes any adjustment easy. I probably wouldn't buy one without that feature and would end up doing what the poster above said

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Recommend me a motor-less lawnmower, I have a lawn now that is just big enough I want to run over it a few times with some sharp blades on wheels. Googling seems to show me monstrosities with support wheels and structures that make them much larger (storage wise) than I really need for my small little patch. Ideally I want some powder coated steel or aluminum with some sick rear end welds and some sharp loving blades on some hard tough plastic or rubber tires that will last for a decade because it's not a cheap piece of poo poo.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If you are in the US, American Lawn Mower Company makes almost all the available manual reel mowers, except Fiskars. Watch out for the cut adjustment range, some of the models are made for golf fairway style grass and don't go very high at all.

I have the scott's branded mower with the large wheels and it is good, though I haven't used other brands so I can't actually compare to anything. I have to go over grass twice to get it looking really nice, so about the same as trying to do a really nice job with a powered rotary mower. It has a hard time with debris like chunks of wood (stops the blades), but it cuts through tall grass or overgrown weeds well.

If I was going to buy again, I might pick one with a motor for the reel, so it would keep going even when making slow turns or when you run into a wall or fence the end of a row. That's really my only complaint. It's not a big deal, but I have thought about adding a cheap battery drill to drive the blades

e: I have this one there is also a 16" wide version.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 3, 2020

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for the great info, I am in the US. My backyard (front is done by HOA/landscapers) is seriously probably 25ft by 60ft at best so adding any sort of motor for turns just really won't be worth the hassle for me. I have a battery powered trimmer and can do it all by hand but it's a bit annoying and I don't get as even of a cut of course.

I'll probably end up going with what you linked but I'll check out Fiskars also.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
just lmao if you're not using a scythe, your agrarian ancestors would be ashamed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfIHiBB6xE

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

no lie I literally thought about that video when I was out cutting it ~10 days ago with my trimmer, I'm just not loving cool enough to do it

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have the Scott’s branded reel mower too and it worked well. Eventually I gave up and started using a hand me down gas mower though.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

canyoneer posted:

just lmao if you're not using a scythe, your agrarian ancestors would be ashamed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfIHiBB6xE

Channeling my inner Hank Hill: "Who would let their grass get that long anyway"?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I would think that grass that long has big fuckoff rocks hiding in it. That video would be more interesting if the brushcutter guy and the scythe guy had to use their bump feed / peen their blade respectively.

coathat
May 21, 2007

They need to do an appropriate test since scythes arent used for trimming around things and string trimmers aren't for cutting hay.

So it's scythe vs a tractor with a 9 foot sickle bar

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've been using a 20v Black and Decker cordless drill for a few years, and its been adequate for just about everything, but then I was drilling 2" holes in a 2x4 and the magic smoke came out along with some magnet bits (brushes?) and its more or less dead.

Couple of questions -
I like what Milwaukee has to offer, but I can't decide if their compact brushless 18v is good enough, or if I should go full overkill and spend on the m18 Fuel line. The fuel is more than double the torque, but my main concern is that it doesn't blow up with heavy use. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Should I be using a bimetal hole saw? Or will a 2" self-feeding bit, or a 2" forstner bit be more efficient? Or even a carbide hole saw just for wood?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I want like 2 or 3 or 5 of the Milwaukee M18 drills and I have no idea why since our old rear end Makita corded drill works just fine.

I also want a recip saw and a jigsaw. And a circular saw.

And a miter saw.

And a band saw, although I don’t think Milwaukee makes a floor-standing one of those.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 5, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

While working on my espalier trellis, I have made the extremely disturbing discovery that RULERS AND TAPE MEASURES DO NOT, IN FACT, ALL MEASURE THE SAME, and now I am questioning everything I have ever done :psyboom:

A bunch of mine differ by as much as 1/16” to 1/8” per foot, which may not sound like a lot, and in a lot of cases probably doesn’t matter too much, except that the thing I’m building is 38’ long and 10’ high, and at lengths like that, THOSE ERRORS ADD UP TO SOME FUCKERY

Sooo apparently now I have to ask this thread to recommend me some accurate rulers, tape measures, yardsticks, etc and I kinda hate myself for asking that but again... 38 feet, wrong rulers, poo poo fucks up

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I. M. Gei posted:

While working on my espalier trellis, I have made the extremely disturbing discovery that RULERS AND TAPE MEASURES DO NOT, IN FACT, ALL MEASURE THE SAME, and now I am questioning everything I have ever done :psyboom:

A bunch of mine differ by as much as 1/16” to 1/8” per foot, which may not sound like a lot, and in a lot of cases probably doesn’t matter too much, except that the thing I’m building is 38’ long and 10’ high, and at lengths like that, THOSE ERRORS ADD UP TO SOME FUCKERY

Sooo apparently now I have to ask this thread to recommend me some accurate rulers, tape measures, yardsticks, etc and I kinda hate myself for asking that but again... 38 feet, wrong rulers, poo poo fucks up

So tape measures have that little bit at the end that wiggles for a reason:
https://www.ustape.com/blog/hidden-features-of-measuring-tape/

But that shouldn't be PER FOOT.
I don't rightly know what an accurate tape measure would be I just know to use the same measuring tape for everything that I'm working on in case there's a difference between it and another tape.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

I. M. Gei posted:

Is there any chance your rulers are shrink rules?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That is such a huge amount of deviation that I have to wonder what the hell kind of crappy ruler/tape measure you managed to find. Can you post a photo?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That is such a huge amount of deviation that I have to wonder what the hell kind of crappy ruler/tape measure you managed to find. Can you post a photo?

Here’s what I’ve got:

lovely Home Depot yardstick.

Two lovely tape measures.

Lufkin 100’ tape measure. This one is probably the most accurate tape measure I have, but it just measured a piece of wood as being 7’6” long when it was actually about 5/16” longer than that.

This is apparently the only really accurate measuring device I own.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The trick is to find a ruler and tape measure that agree and only use those, throw the rest away as defective tools.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I. M. Gei posted:

Here’s what I’ve got:

lovely Home Depot yardstick.

You know wood shrinks seasonally? :newlol: Lufkin and Stanley tape measures and most all of, you know the retractable kind? They have steel blades and're pretty consistent.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If you can get away with measuring everything with the same item then its not such a big deal.
Otherwise, I've found that the name brand poo poo is usually several oval office hairs more accurate than the brand x stuff.
Like the really really small tape measure that I got for signing up for a credit card is fine for putting in my fishing tackle box, but is not fine for much else.

The 15-25 dollar stanley or lufkin or (insert mega cool brand name) tape measures are more likely to have measurements that are accurate.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Tajima, Starrett, Lufkin and Stanley (in that order) are my preferences. But mostly because of the markings, I doubt their accuracy is different enough for carpentry, for woodworking stick to the first two. I use Stanley Fatmax for carpentry and cement work.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Checking a new Empire ruler I got at Home Depot.

The marks appears to sync up with this internet ruler I use to check ruler accuracy... but only if I look at them with both eyes open. If I look at them with one eye closed it looks off a bit.

Am I supposed to look at them with both eyes open, or with one closed?

...... I am developing a problem...... help me.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Get an inspection microscope and use both eyes

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Count the number of atoms per foot, it's the only way to be sure.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
What if his rule is made of primitive cubes but he's expecting body-centred? Best way is to shine a laser on whatever he's trying to measure and time how long it takes to bounce back. Do you own a vacuum pump?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just ordered two Starrett rulers on Amazon and I hope that’s the last time I ever have to do that (it won’t be, I cannot un-know what I know now :gonk:)

I also found out that Amazon sells rulers that cost over $5000 :stare:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 6, 2020

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. If there are any rotary tool enthusiasts here, I have a question:

In short, is it fair to say that my ancient cordless Dremel just isn't the right tool for cutting metal? I've tested multiple cutoff wheels, different speeds, different metals, and it just doesn't have the oomph to cut through, for example, wire shelving without bogging down. Nevermind cutting through a bolt or something more substantial.

Should I bite the bullet and get a corded version, or is this operator error?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wire shelving, if it's the rubber-coated type I'm thinking of, is a pain to cut with a rotary tool like that... but a set of bolt cutters will go through it easy.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Trabant posted:

Hello thread. If there are any rotary tool enthusiasts here, I have a question:

In short, is it fair to say that my ancient cordless Dremel just isn't the right tool for cutting metal? I've tested multiple cutoff wheels, different speeds, different metals, and it just doesn't have the oomph to cut through, for example, wire shelving without bogging down. Nevermind cutting through a bolt or something more substantial.

Should I bite the bullet and get a corded version, or is this operator error?

I have a corded Dremel and while it doesn't bog down, I have cut wire shelving and it's difficult and time consuming. A manual hacksaw is actually quicker, or especially a sawzall, which I use a lot more than my Dremel.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ jinx!

Yeah, the enamel-ish paint they use all over tends to gum things up, but it's a problem in general. I've never had success with a rotary tool and metal of any kind. It just binds and halts the wheel.

Ended up taking a hacksaw to the shelving, although now I'm wishing I had a bolt cutter.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Angle grinder will go through that in fractions of a second.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Angle grinders will go through practically anything in fractions of a second. Just don't lose control of the tool...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Angle grinders will go through practically anything in fractions of a second. Just don't lose control of the tool...

or use discount cuttoff wheels..
Also protect yourself.. plz use face protection.. which I hope you have already kuz if not.. just L O L if you try and get a face shield right now.
Also any kind of breathing protection :( I wont' be buildign my closet for awhile because I don't feel like breathing drywall dust while mudding it.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 6, 2020

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
True, that would probably be the most versatile of all options.

Alas, a grinder's not in the cards, as my only real workspace these days is my balcony. I could've used a grinder at my makerspace, but while at home I can't really use much beyond "doesn't make much noise or mess" kinds of tools. That's why the Dremel came out of retirement, only to disappoint yet again.

Eh, it doesn't always disappoint. Just when metal is involved.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

tater_salad posted:

or use discount cuttoff wheels..
Also protect yourself.. plz use face protection.. which I hope you have already kuz if not.. just L O L if you try and get a face shield right now.
Also any kind of breathing protection :( I wont' be buildign my closet for awhile because I don't feel like breathing drywall dust while mudding it.

Have you seen wheels pop anywhere besides the collar and spin freely? I've always wondered but never had it happen but I've seen the collar break a lot and that isnt bad at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I. M. Gei posted:

Checking a new Empire ruler I got at Home Depot.

The marks appears to sync up with this internet ruler I use to check ruler accuracy... but only if I look at them with both eyes open. If I look at them with one eye closed it looks off a bit.

Am I supposed to look at them with both eyes open, or with one closed?

...... I am developing a problem...... help me.

Rulers have thickness, so they are suspect to parallax. You should be looking normal to the ruler at each point you want to measure (probably with one eye if it's that critical.) So if you're measuring something 1 foot in length, you'd start with your head in front of the zero mark to align that, then move it over 1 foot to look at the other end and check where those markings are.

Or just get a precision glass scale/linear encoder. Those ones aren't very accurate, only +- 3 microns, but I think that'll meet your accuracy requirements.