Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
3. Pooka Lives, 2020, Hulu

I poo poo all over Blumhouse, but they do occasionally put out something I enjoy. While the original Pooka, wasn't perfect, it was definitely enjoyable, and I can say the same about this one. The biggest complaint I have is the tonal shift between films, it wasn't exactly unwelcome either, but I felt the tongue and cheek tone should have been dialed back to about a 6, instead of the 8.

The major points were a bit predictable for those of us who have been extremely online. Winston from New Girl returns to his home town to hide out after pissing off some YouTuber, and takes a job in marketing for the relaunch of Pooka. As things accelerate, Winston and friends create the Pooka Challenge, which is accidentally creating tulpas of murderous Pookas.

It's a simple enough plot and it's been done before, and didn't really tread any new ground, but I say bring on the Apookalypse!

3.5/5

1. Society
2. Pet Semetery (2019)
3. Pooka Lives!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
You repeated the word Pooka so much, it feels like it's lost all meaning!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Well I had a very productive weekend. Most times I have to watch an entire challenges worth of movies to hit on a few that are truly fantastic, but I ended up hitting on at least two just this weekend, and maybe a third.

Rockula

Well after that hype about fantastic films this......is not one of them. Thanks to everyone who put on the 24 hour marathon, I managed to catch several of the films. I'm certainly glad I watched it, if only because it's one of those "how the gently caress does this even exist?" movies that will leave you baffled on an almost scene by scene basis.

Someone, I believe Lurdiak, theorized that they had always planned to record the songs with actual singers but just ran out of money in the end. While that's hard to believe, there has to be some explanation for it because there's no way what we got was the original plan. I assume when you cast leads for a musical one of the phases of the audition involves singing? No?

Come To Daddy

Elijah Wood knocks another one out of the park with this film where he plays a son who receives a letter from his estranged father asking that he travel to see him after many years.

Aside from that, go in as blind as you possibly can. The movie keeps shifting under your feet every few minutes and always keeps you guessing, while being stylish as hell throughout the whole thing. And like I said, Wood is just a really really compelling protagonist who has a lot more dimension to him than meets the eye at first.

I mentioned this in the horror thread but it struck me as the credits were rolling that Come To Daddy could act as a companion piece to Prometheus. Both films are about men who go looking for answers from their creator, and instead find incomprehensible madness.

Cast A Deadly Spell

Well I knew I would probably love this, and sure enough I did. I've had it on my list for several challenges now, and as expected I feel pretty dumb for waiting so long on it.

It's a world that I wish had been revisited because there's just so much charm to it. Both sides of the Lovecraft/Phillip Marlowe equation were really treated with a lot of love here, with constant references and homages to classic films and tropes. Throw in an excellent cast(Clancy Brown! Julianne Moore!) and some fun creature effects and I know I'll be in the mood to revisit this one fairly soon. Plus, I ended up doing a Fred Ward double feature and rewatching Tremors right afterwards, which is never a bad decision.

In The Tall Grass

This is the one that took me a bit by surprise. I expected to like it but ended up kinda loving it? I just really appreciate how weird it got, and also I thought it had really nice pacing. Within about 10-15 minutes I was completely engaged and on board, and the movie really never let up from there.

I suppose the ending was a bit predictable, I had the thought that it might end that way and turns out I was right. But there are several twists and turns in terms of how we get there that I didn't see coming, and I had no problem rooting for the characters and getting invested in them. And Patrick Wilson is definitely one of the great "totally friendly nice dude with something not quite right about him" actors of our generation. This is definitely one of the best Netflix films I've seen yet.

1. Leprechaun 4: In Space 2. Leprechaun In The Hood 3. Leprechaun: Back 2 Tha Hood 4. The Uncanny 5. Rockula 6. Come To Daddy 7. Cast A Deadly Spell 8. In The Tall Grass

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

In The Tall Grass

This is the one that took me a bit by surprise. I expected to like it but ended up kinda loving it? I just really appreciate how weird it got, and also I thought it had really nice pacing. Within about 10-15 minutes I was completely engaged and on board, and the movie really never let up from there.

I suppose the ending was a bit predictable, I had the thought that it might end that way and turns out I was right. But there are several twists and turns in terms of how we get there that I didn't see coming, and I had no problem rooting for the characters and getting invested in them. And Patrick Wilson is definitely one of the great "totally friendly nice dude with something not quite right about him" actors of our generation. This is definitely one of the best Netflix films I've seen yet.

Patrick Wilson is great in this and carried the whole film for me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Come To Daddy

Elijah Wood knocks another one out of the park with this film where he plays a son who receives a letter from his estranged father asking that he travel to see him after many years.

Aside from that, go in as blind as you possibly can. The movie keeps shifting under your feet every few minutes and always keeps you guessing, while being stylish as hell throughout the whole thing. And like I said, Wood is just a really really compelling protagonist who has a lot more dimension to him than meets the eye at first.

I mentioned this in the horror thread but it struck me as the credits were rolling that Come To Daddy could act as a companion piece to Prometheus. Both films are about men who go looking for answers from their creator, and instead find incomprehensible madness.

Yeah, this is still solidly my favorite horror film of the year. The Lodge is arguably darker and more horrific, but Come To Daddy just brings so much to the table in every aspect--performances, production, themes-- that even though it never becomes predictable, it never feels cheap or like a theme park ride, because the emotions and themes linger past the credits. Really glad to hear you enjoyed it!

I'm gonna check out In The Tall Grass now. Your saying it's good (and Gey Muckle Mowser as well) gives me reason to think I'll enjoy it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, this is still solidly my favorite horror film of the year. The Lodge is arguably darker and more horrific, but Come To Daddy just brings so much to the table in every aspect--performances, production, themes-- that even though it never becomes predictable, it never feels cheap or like a theme park ride, because the emotions and themes linger past the credits. Really glad to hear you enjoyed it!

I'm gonna check out In The Tall Grass now. Your saying it's good (and Gey Muckle Mowser as well) gives me reason to think I'll enjoy it.

Yeah Come to Daddy rules, I think I'd put it just behind VFW in my favorites for the year so far, but it's close.

I didn't like In the Tall Grass quite as much as Basebf555 did but it's worth checking out for sure.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
14. Freaks (1932)

This was an interesting little piece of outcast solidarity and interpersonal intrigue. Obviously, its reputation overshadows it, but it's still enjoyable in its own right.

Watched so far: 1. Zombie (1979) / 2. Frankenstein (1931) / 3. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) / 4. Basket Case (1982) / 5. Carrie (1976) / 6. Audition (1999) / 7. Creepshow (1982) / 8. Cannibal Holocaust (1980) / 9. Daniel Isn't Real (2020) / 10. Popcorn (1991) / 11. Matango (1963) / 12. Raw (2016) / 13. Men Behind The Sun (1988) / 14. Freaks (1932)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

Yeah Come to Daddy rules, I think I'd put it just behind VFW in my favorites for the year so far, but it's close.

I didn't like In the Tall Grass quite as much as Basebf555 did but it's worth checking out for sure.

Honestly I was just on a high from watching a bunch of really good stuff in a row, and the good feeling may have elevated In The Tall Grass from "very good" to "great" as a result.

I think the pacing is worth another mention though. I can forgive a lot of flaws in a movie if it hits the ground running and keeps the pace up for the entire runtime, and In The Tall Grass definitely did that for me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I haven’t had a chance to see VFW yet. I’m excited for it, though.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

8. [REC] (2007) - Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza

This movie is quite a ride. It's a rock solid 78 minutes of pure escalation and wonderfully done found footage pov. I really enjoyed how well the source of the "zombification" was hidden and even when you get some answers, they're not a lot and its all still shrouded in mystery. A solid flick with a lot to enjoy in its short run time.

9. [REC] 2 (2009) - Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza

Watching both of these back to back is highly recommended. Part two does such a great job of keep that intensity going, but then amping it up even more, resolving a bunch of story questions from the first one and building some great lore towards the end. The action and horror is still just as tight and there's some great camera/editing tricks going on in this one that were super cool and fun to see pulled off to elegantly.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

16. Suspiria (2018) (Prime)

"There are two things that dance can never be again: beautiful and cheerful. Today, we need to break the nose of every beautiful thing."

This movie fucks. Like a nightmare that creeps between your bedsheets when the lights are turned off, and grips you with cold, clammy, ancient fingers, but still it fucks. I felt this movie in my body, in my muscles, in my skin. I became an antenna for visceral expectation and foreboding. It's bursting with a feminine, queer energy, with pinpoint intensity, and no trace of male gaze. Montage is used better here than I think I've ever seen it used before, with excellent and brutalist period costuming, and sets.

Gone are a lot of the dreamlike touches of the original, but I didn't miss them. I think this is definitely to be considered separately from the original. I also found the old age makeup on Swinton to be distracting, not because it's bad, but because her feminine affectations shone through slightly too much, making for a slightly distracting performance.

There are really too many moments to really point to a favourite, or standout scene. The lead actress sharing a look with Swinton's Blanca over a restaurant table is as arresting and meaningful as the elaborate, beautiful, and transcendentally expressive dance scenes.

One reason I put off watching this for so long, is that a lot of the people said the film was overlong and dull. I was enraptured the whole time, and I'm still tingling. I really can do nothing but gush.

17. The Old Dark House (1932) (BFI Player)

Three friends escape a dark and stormy night, by finding shelter in an old dark house. Inside they find a gruff monster of a man in Karloff, an inhospitable old woman who wishes they'd leave, and a genial if rather nervous old gent. It soon becomes apparent that the inhabitants of the old dark house are hiding something, or someone. A secret that might end in death for all involved.

I'd describe this as a cute, funny film, with lashings of atmosphere. It's like a light, warm, comfy blanket to snuggle up with on cold rainy night. It does a great job of being whimsical, airy, and not too serious. Whilst also being quite foreboding, with some mild threat. The quintessential spooky house movie that you can show to your kids and your grandparents, and have everyone come away pleased.

18. Diabolique (Prime)

"SEE IT, BE AMAZED AT IT, BUT… BE QUIET ABOUT IT!"

The film focuses on a love triangle, a murder plot, and a mystery. The final frame of the film is a warning that I will take note of, so I'll say no more about the plot. Suffice to say it's a tricky film to nail down the genre of. I'm watching it for the horror challenge, but you could argue that it isn't horror, but it definitely contains strong horror elements. What it definitely is is an absolute masterclass in suspense. The film begins ratcheting tension from the very first mention of a pair of sunglasses, and doesn't release until the very penultimate scene. That said it's also a surprisingly light film, with more than a few moments of humour. In all it's just an exquisite, finely crafted, spring-loaded trap of film.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

31) Head - 2015 - TubiTV

I can now say I've sat through a muppet slasher film.

The film's setup is the movies a horror host is showing. The horror host and first short's a small portion compared to the 'main feature' which is the slasher film. As far as slashers go, it's a standard 80s style entry. And yes, that means muppet boobs, muppet casual sex, muppets swearing, and gory muppet death.

This definitely one to watch just for the experience.

32) Overtime - 2011 - TubiTV

While I felt the beginning could've moved a little faster, once the ball was rolling, I enjoyed this one. There were even parts I snortlaughed loud enough to get an annoyed glare from my cats, especially at the game console commercial.

It's a zombie flick which to it's credit, does try some original twists. The heroes are a pair of hitmen who are more terrified of the one's wife's bad mood than the zombies they tangle with.

While this won't be to everyone's tastes, I liked it.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

6. Friday the 13th Pt. 2 (1981)
Dir: Steve Miner

Welp, guess this is the year I finally dig into the Friday series. Up until now, only seen the first, Jason X, and Jason Lives for a Hooptober challenge. Never got around to the other ones for ...reasons? Maybe this is my newbie eye, but were the Friday sequels ever considered scary at the time? That's not meant to be a dig, it's a genuine question. I think we here all get that horror movies don't have to be *~scary~* to be enjoyable or interesting. It just feels like even this early on in the series, there's already kind of a playful aspect.

As for the film itself, it's fun! I always thought of this series as kind of a workhorse slasher, and I guess that's true of this one at least. You can tell it's still trying to figure out what exactly the series should be. Kinda love Jason's burlap sack look and I wonder what the weird alternate universe where the hockey mask didn't become an instantly recognizable horror signifier would have looked like.
Total: 1) Bliss 2) The Hunger 3) Bacurau 4) Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers 5) Rockula 6) Friday the 13th Pt. II

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Friends Are Evil posted:

6. Friday the 13th Pt. 2 (1981)
Dir: Steve Miner

Welp, guess this is the year I finally dig into the Friday series. Up until now, only seen the first, Jason X, and Jason Lives for a Hooptober challenge. Never got around to the other ones for ...reasons? Maybe this is my newbie eye, but were the Friday sequels ever considered scary at the time? That's not meant to be a dig, it's a genuine question. I think we here all get that horror movies don't have to be *~scary~* to be enjoyable or interesting. It just feels like even this early on in the series, there's already kind of a playful aspect.

As for the film itself, it's fun! I always thought of this series as kind of a workhorse slasher, and I guess that's true of this one at least. You can tell it's still trying to figure out what exactly the series should be. Kinda love Jason's burlap sack look and I wonder what the weird alternate universe where the hockey mask didn't become an instantly recognizable horror signifier would have looked like.
Total: 1) Bliss 2) The Hunger 3) Bacurau 4) Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers 5) Rockula 6) Friday the 13th Pt. II

Oh boy, you have 3 and 4 to look forward to! They're easily my favourite, though 3 is mainly because it's just a campy mess. I think the closest the Friday series comes to being genuinely scary is the 2009 film, it takes itself and the scares a bit more seriously.

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 6, 2020

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Honestly, 5 is one of my favourites. It is ridiculous and I love it.

I am probably not going to update this thread with my review of movies (check my Letterboxd for that B)), but I am pretty much going through the 'They Shoot Zombies' list and watching what I haven't seen. So far? Nosferatu, Bride of Frankenstein, The Haunting, and The Wicker Man. The Wicker Man is something everyone in this thread should watch.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Twin Cinema posted:

Honestly, 5 is one of my favourites. It is ridiculous and I love it.

I am probably not going to update this thread with my review of movies (check my Letterboxd for that B)), but I am pretty much going through the 'They Shoot Zombies' list and watching what I haven't seen. So far? Nosferatu, Bride of Frankenstein, The Haunting, and The Wicker Man. The Wicker Man is something everyone in this thread should watch.

Absolutely true. The Wicker Man owns.

Also I'm COOLCORN on Letterboxd and review basically everything I see, so follow me! (Everybody)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Final Destination is really good, yeah. I'm not a big fan of the direction for the finale, but it's still fun throughout.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

#1 Midsommar (2019)

As I mentioned in the horror thread, I had to turn this off the first time. Too claustrophobic, too vile, too pagan. Now I finished it in the proper headspace.

I don't know if it's great, but I know it is another high quality work from the young director and blows to smithereens most horror of recent years. The cinematography is beautiful, the artwork by the cult is elaborate and convincing, and it effectively builds a Rosemary's Baby-esque sense of passive hopelessness. You are a watcher from the outside of an impending slaughter, but you don't know exactly how the lambs are going to be done in.

Some of the characterization isn't particularly well-developed, such as the deteriorating relationship between Dani and her boyfriend. My "bad writing" senses went off when the jackass friend constantly made obnoxious jokes, and that's about it. Some better work could have been done justifying the group's inability to detect something wrong. There is a small missing piece between Dani being worried about missing people despite efforts by the cult to convince her it's fine, and then Dani willfully drinking a substance and participating in a ceremony.

You have to forgive the sheer improbability involved in Dani winning the dance, coming across Christian "mating" with another girl, and then Christian scornfully being selected for the main sacrifice. Such improbable things are needed to glue the house of cards together.

7.7 / 10

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

You have to forgive the sheer improbability involved in Dani winning the dance, coming across Christian "mating" with another girl, and then Christian scornfully being selected for the main sacrifice. Such improbable things are needed to glue the house of cards together.

I'm faily certain the implication is that all of things happened because the villagers were in on it and helped them happen. But it's been a long time since I've seen Midsommar.

Anyway, yeah, I'm gonna stop posting my reviews here too cause I just haven't had the spoons, but I'll be reviewing on Letterboxd and will post a final tally at the end of the month.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Someone give me a wildcard recommendation to watch tonight! I have Netflix, Hulu, Shudder, Prime, and I'm willing to rent something digitally as long as it's not more than a couple bucks. I'll watch the first movie posted that I haven't already seen.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

Anyway, yeah, I'm gonna stop posting my reviews here too cause I just haven't had the spoons, but I'll be reviewing on Letterboxd and will post a final tally at the end of the month.
I don’t really understand that when literally the whole point of the thread is to write your reviews in it.

Like if the thread were just to mention a movie you watched, that’s literally just the horror thread.

Someone give me a wildcard recommendation to watch tonight! I have Netflix, Hulu, Shudder, Prime, and I'm willing to rent something digitally as long as it's not more than a couple bucks. I'll watch the first movie posted that I haven't already seen.

Dario Argento's The Stendhal Syndrome is on Shudder.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 6, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

1) Colour Out of Space (2019)

Who the gently caress decided that Richard Stanley wasn't to be allowed to direct a movie for 20 years? It's not Lovecraft, quite - there's a black man in it and he isn't evil - but it's as close as we'll get.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Sweet, thanks!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Okay okay I'll keep posting reviews here. I was just having a bad brain day. Anyway

15. Island of Lost Souls (1932)

Absolutely shocked that this was 1932. The cinematography and pacing and effects absolutely stand up today, not to mention the horror aspect. This one surprised me, I loved it.
4/5

Watched so far: 1. Zombie (1979) / 2. Frankenstein (1931) / 3. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) / 4. Basket Case (1982) / 5. Carrie (1976) / 6. Audition (1999) / 7. Creepshow (1982) / 8. Cannibal Holocaust (1980) / 9. Daniel Isn't Real (2020) / 10. Popcorn (1991) / 11. Matango (1963) / 12. Raw (2016) / 13. Men Behind The Sun (1988) / 14. Freaks (1932) / 15. Island of Lost Souls (1932)

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I can confirm Island of Lost Souls slaps legal rear end while also very likely being the best adaptation to date of The Island of Doctor Moreau.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Franchescanado posted:

I don’t really understand that when literally the whole point of the thread is to write your reviews in it.

Like if the thread were just to mention a movie you watched, that’s literally just the horror thread.

Come on Fran, gently caress that creepy movie.
Wholesome alternative: Next of Kin (1982), on Shudder.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

married but discreet posted:

Come on Fran, gently caress that creepy movie.
Wholesome alternative: Next of Kin (1982), on Shudder.

It was the first one I saw that gey muckle mowser hadn't watched on Letterboxd. I haven't seen it either.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I had to turn it off cause it was way too rapey and misogynistic. It's very unpleasant to watch and not in the good way at all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't how I feel about Stendhal Syndrome. Its super "rapey" but like, its a movie about rape and the trauma of it. Its uncomfortable and all the real world stuff about Asia Argento and the fact that her dad is directing her all make it a little extra uncomfortable. I don't know. You should definitely get trigger warnings going in.

Bear I mind I might be the less aware person there is here because I didn't even realize it was Tilda Swinton as the old man in Suspiria.

Patrick Wilson is great in this and carried the whole film for me.

For me I think my problem with In The Tall Grass was that I found everything happening with Wilson, the rock, the cult, and the church way more interesting than what they actually did for the 3rd act. All that stuff got left ambiguous and while I usually expect a touch of "unknown madness" from King I also usually can trust he'll give me more minutiae then I want. In this case I was super thirsty for more.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

2. Human Lanterns (1982)

Two rival kung-fu masters, who are both rich and prominent citizens of the same town, are constantly at odds with each other but their rivalry explodes into a bloody feud when a mysterious masked killer pits them against each other by preying on the women they love.

Human Lanterns mixes two very different genres together that of Wuxia (martial arts in ancient China with fantasy elements) and the slasher (masked killer stalking and killing people, most often young women.). The blend is not really seemless but very interesting nonetheless. For most of the film these two genres don't intermingle. You have scenes that are clearly Wuxia scenes and scenes that are clearly horror but it isn't until the end of the film where the two halves of the film crash into each other in a spectacular final battle in the killers lair.

The film is high camp with over the top acting and heavy stylization. One of the characters has a "disfiguring" facial scar that looks more like someone stuck a lump of clay on his face, every other scene has a character break out in exagerated laughter like they're playing to the cheap seats in a large theater, and every single fights involves superhuman acrobatics and in one fight the main weapon is colorful paper fans.

The slasher parts are surprisingly graphic with drawn out scenes of the killer mutilating his victims in pretty graphic detail and for some reason there's often an echo effect applied to the victim's scream which makes them sound almost otherworldly the blood is all bright bred and the gore effects aren't that realistic but it still manages to feel pretty seedy.

The killer's identity and motivation isn't really a mystery but it's obscured a bit in the first few scenes although it becomes clear to the audience long before any of the characters figure it out. He wears a skull mask but with a big mane of hair around it and tufts of hair around his hands and feet which makes him look like some sort of skeletal ape. His movements are also quite animalistic and he is constantly climbing up trees and roofs, hanging from ceilings, and leaping through the air unbound by gravity. Which would probably make him even scarier if it wasn't for the fact that this is a Wuxia film where the laws of gravity don't really apply and every fight scene has someone fly through the air or use lily pads like trampolines. Not that he isn't creepy, at least in the first few scenes where he's preying on helpless ladies before he starts to get involved in the actual fights, his strange monkey movements and constant cackling make him very unsettling and memorable and if this movie had reached an wider audience in it's day I'm sure he could be just as iconic as many other slasher killers of that era.

I'd recommend it for anyone whose into either slashers or martial arts films but do keep in mind that since this is a Shaw Brothers film it's pretty drat "rapey". So content warning on that one.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

married but discreet posted:

I had to turn it off cause it was way too rapey and misogynistic. It's very unpleasant to watch and not in the good way at all.

STAC Goat posted:

I don't how I feel about Stendhal Syndrome. Its super "rapey" but like, its a movie about rape and the trauma of it. Its uncomfortable and all the real world stuff about Asia Argento and the fact that her dad is directing her all make it a little extra uncomfortable. I don't know. You should definitely get trigger warnings going in.

Bear I mind I might be the less aware person there is here because I didn't even realize it was Tilda Swinton as the old man in Suspiria.

For me I think my problem with In The Tall Grass was that I found everything happening with Wilson, the rock, the cult, and the church way more interesting than what they actually did for the 3rd act. All that stuff got left ambiguous and while I usually expect a touch of "unknown madness" from King I also usually can trust he'll give me more minutiae then I want. In this case I was super thirsty for more.

I appreciate the warning on it. I just knew it was an Argento film.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The preview breakdowns of it seem a little deceptive since they basically say its a movie about a cop chasing down a killer/rapist but they ignore the fact that that only describes the first 5 minutes of the film after which she gets raped by him and spends the rest of the film recovering and hiding from the bad guy.

I don't think that SHOULD be a spoiler. Its something people should know going in and happens in the first scene of the film. But I put it in spoiler tags so you can choose because its definitely upsetting.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

I appreciate the warning on it. I just knew it was an Argento film.

:argh: I just watched it, and the whole time I was thinking "Fran recommended this so there must be something worthwhile about it" lol

I'll write up a post later, I didn't completely hate it but it definitely comes across as uncomfortably misogynistic

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

33) Film House Fever - 1985 - TubiTV

This was a pleasant surprise, a compilation film I've never heard of.

To me, compilation films are as dangerous as trailer collections. They both end up with me making a list of more movies I need to sit through. Compilation films are very much a product of the early to mid 80s when the demand for videos to rent was huge and it was slow go on getting tapes on the shelves. They followed a basic format of connecting segments organizing the film clips. Terror in the Aisles had Donald Pleasance and Nancy Allen discussing the allure of horror films, It Came From Hollywood had name comedians of the time on a studio backlot or in skits roasting the clips.

Film House Fever goes the route of a couple movie loving proto-Goons going to a twelve hour film fest. An additional pleasant surprise is the inclusion of two film short clips that I'd never seen before featuring Bruce Campbell.

Overall, I enjoyed the hell out of this one.

34) Dead Before Dawn - 2011 - TubiTV

Not sure what subgenre to fit this into since it covers zombies and demonic curses. The poster says it's in 3D, but the one on Tubi's 2D.

Overall, this one was interesting. They could've gone generic zombie on this one but they tried quite a few differences to mix it up. An urn containing an evil spirit gets broken and the spirit uses the ridiculous curse the teens who broke the urn made up as its way to spread.

It's cheesy in parts, but overall a fun watch.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
16. Hagazussa (2017)

Hoo, wow, okay. Okay. Hang on. Okay. Let me paint a story for you.
Me: "Hm, I need a new movie to watch."
Feigelfeld: "What do you have in mind?"
Me: "Well, I really like the desaturated bleak dreariness, and occult symbolism of The Witch."
Feigelfeld: "Okay..."
Me: "But on the other side of spectrum, I love low drone metal-esque soundtracks and trippy visuals a la Mandy."
Feigelfeld: "I see..."
Me: "And ideally it would be like... OVERWHELMINGLY Pagan. Like, I'm talking rural Saxony in the middle ages."
Feigelfeld: "I think I get what you want, here you go."
-A serpent descends down from the world tree with a golden VHS in its jaw, with "Hagazussa" written on it.-

I swear, if ever there were a movie that was made for me, this is it. I want to live inside that soundtrack forever.

Watched so far: 1. Zombie (1979) / 2. Frankenstein (1931) / 3. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) / 4. Basket Case (1982) / 5. Carrie (1976) / 6. Audition (1999) / 7. Creepshow (1982) / 8. Cannibal Holocaust (1980) / 9. Daniel Isn't Real (2020) / 10. Popcorn (1991) / 11. Matango (1963) / 12. Raw (2016) / 13. Men Behind The Sun (1988) / 14. Freaks (1932) / 15. Island of Lost Souls (1932) / 16. Hagazussa (2017)

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

21. Species (Prime)

Just one yesterday. It's more action-oriented than I remember, but it holds up decently for something from the mid-90s, aside from a few laughable CGI effects. 3/5

M_Sinistrari posted:

30) The Rohl Farms Haunting - 2013 - TubiTV

While not perfect, I feel this is one of the better found footage entries.

22. The Rohl Farms Haunting (TubiTV)

Thanks for the new source of found footage movies to binge through, since I've seen everything on Prime. Multiple times.

That said, I wasn't impressed with this. Other than the fact that they had a farm to work with, there's too much "look, a scary thing" coming from the protagonist. 2/5

23. Poltergeist Encounters (TubiTV)

A little bit better. Your standard paranormal investigators exploring a creepy house flick. I did like that the start of the movie establishes the characters using footage from their other adventures, but once they get into the house, it's pretty paint by numbers. 2/5

24. Paranormal Apparition (TubiTV)

Not found footage, just cheap. There's a good idea for a haunted/possessed house movie in here, but it's just so terribly acted and poorly shot. It was apparently originally titled "Cold Blood Canyon;" I wonder what happened in 2007 to make them change the title. 1/5

25. Strawberry Estates (TubiTV)

This was shot in 1997, which makes it not a Blair Witch ripoff, which is interesting, since they have the same ending. There's actually some decent found footage in here. Unfortunately, it's overwhelmed by everybody talking way too much about their theories about life, the paranormal, and everything. 1/5

26. Strange Events (TubiTV)

Anthology movie that I know I've seen before because the gag in the last one is hilarious. The quality varies wildly, but the first one is quite good and the last one has one note but hits it really well. 3/5

27. Chasing the Devil (TubiTV)

The best of the batch today. Found footage about a guy investigating his sister's supposed suicide following the onset of schizophrenia. The way the demon works in this one really lets it break out of the mold of "four people in a building" found footage. 4/5

28. #Screamers

A bunch of techbros get killed way too slowly. After setting up an online video site, in 2016, that they expect 30% of the world will set as their home page someday soon, their biggest viral hit is a creepy video that may be real, so they go to investigate. It is. They die. The last 10 minutes are actually decent, but it's a slog to get there. 0/5

M_Sinistrari posted:

32) Overtime - 2011 - TubiTV

While I felt the beginning could've moved a little faster, once the ball was rolling, I enjoyed this one. There were even parts I snortlaughed loud enough to get an annoyed glare from my cats, especially at the game console commercial.

It's a zombie flick which to it's credit, does try some original twists. The heroes are a pair of hitmen who are more terrified of the one's wife's bad mood than the zombies they tangle with.

While this won't be to everyone's tastes, I liked it.

I'd also recommend this. There are some great one-liners and two plot lines that are at absolute opposite ends of the spectrum, theoretically, that weave in and out of each other wonderfully.

Watched so far:
1. The Unwelcoming House (Prime) - 3/5, 2. The Unwelcoming House 2 (Prime) - 2/5, 3. The Writer's Ghost (Prime) - 0/5, 4. Dark Exorcism (Prime) - 5/5, 5. The Ninth Configuration (Prime) - 3/5, 6. The Exorcist III (Prime) - 5/5, 7. The Prophecy (Prime) - 3/5, 8. The Ghost (1963) (Youtube) - 4/5, 9. Shock (Youtube) - 4/5, 10. Wes Craven's Chiller (Youtube) - 3/5, 11. The House by the Cemetery (Youtube) - 4/5, 12. The Werewolf of Washington (Youtube) 3/5, 13. Snowbeast (Youtube) 1/5, 14. Good Against Evil (Youtube) 3/5, 15. The Horrible Dr. Hichcock (Youtube) 1/5, 16. The Terror (Youtube) 0/5), 17. Night of the Demons (1988, Prime) 5/5, 18. Night of the Demons 2 (DVD) 4/5, 19. Night of the Demons 3 (DVD) 3/5, 20. Night of the Demons (2009) 4/5, 21. Species (Prime) 3/5, 22. The Rohl Farms Haunting (TubiTV), 2/5, 23. Poltergeist Encounters (TubiTV) 2/5, 24. Paranormal Apparition (TubiTV) 1/5, 25. Strawberry Estates (TubiTV) 1/5, 26. Strange Events (TubiTV) 3/5, 27. Chasing the Devil (TubiTV) 4/5, 28. #Screamers (TubiTV) 0/5

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
17. Guinea Pig 4: Mermaid in a Manhole (1988)

Sources seem to differ on whether this is the 4th or 6th movie (Letterboxd says #5? Who knows!). But you know what? This wasn't bad at all. Because of the runtime (just over 60 minutes), it never wore out its welcome, and felt a lot like a visual creepypasta, the way it explored a creepy idea for a bit and then had a stinger twist ending. The use of textures and lighting had me feeling sick the whole time, so mission accomplished I guess. And they even managed to create some interesting characters. In a guinea pig movie!!

Watched so far: 1. Zombie (1979) / 2. Frankenstein (1931) / 3. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) / 4. Basket Case (1982) / 5. Carrie (1976) / 6. Audition (1999) / 7. Creepshow (1982) / 8. Cannibal Holocaust (1980) / 9. Daniel Isn't Real (2020) / 10. Popcorn (1991) / 11. Matango (1963) / 12. Raw (2016) / 13. Men Behind The Sun (1988) / 14. Freaks (1932) / 15. Island of Lost Souls (1932) / 16. Hagazussa (2017) / 17. Guinea Pig 4: Mermaid in a Manhole (1988)

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 7, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Got a late start today because of trouble sleeping and a resulting massive migraine. But at least I didn’t have to go work or anything. Or tomorrow. Or the next day. Or the next…

16 (19). Hatchet (2006)
Directed and Written by Adam Green
Watched on Tubi, also available on Tribeca.

A group of people you forgot existed 20 years ago get stuck in the swamp where the undead Victor Crowley is rumored to prey on people to get revenge for being bullied and killed his whole life for being deformed.

This was a late add to my franchises list but I decided to give it a look. I felt good about that decision when it opened with Robert Englund on a rickety boat in the swamp in the middle of the night and I felt good about the decision. Then I heard Marilyn Manson and then Bud from The Cosby Show visited Tony Todd in silly makeup and I settled in. This is a really weird time capsule that looks like it was made a few year before 2006. Mercedes McNabb is someone I just completely forgot ever existed. There in lies its charm. This is not a good movie and it walks a weird line between spoof and serious that bounces back and forth in working. Like there’s a lot of scenes that are kind of long that are just not great jokes failing to land. But at the same time there’s something amusing about someone trying sincerely and failing without any concern or shame. There’s this amazing scene where their boat is stuck and they have to get to the shore that’s like 10 feet away by walking across a tree but then a bunch of them fall into the water and like its obvious that the water is about knee deep but they still have to pretend to swim to shore. Also “I didn’t really go to NYU! It was my first choice but I didn’t get in and went to Hostra!” feels like a really, really dumb regional joke that I happen to get and made me chuckle.

The horror icon aspect is kind of a let down. Englund and Todd both have one scene and Todd doesn’t even open the door the whole way. Unless you’re really excited by the idea of the guy who played Jason playing a different guy who slashes people in the woods but gets to act more there’s not much there. But I guess that’s part of the appeal here. Its a parody/knockoff of slashers and Jason in particular. But it takes itself just unseriously enough that I did enjoy it more than the average Jason movie. Not to say it was better, just.. sillier.

Still, its just a weird dynamic. It knows its a campy but I’m not sure it knows its a comedy. Or maybe it does know its a comedy but half the time we’re laughing with them and the other half we’re laughing at them. Its too silly to be annoyed by or anything but certainly not good enough to understand why it has 3 sequels nor one that should draw in more D list names for the second one. Horror, you are a wonderfully stupid genre who gives everyone as many chances as they want. But I’m doing this because you get Danielle Harris in the next movie so I’ll probably see you there at least.

I read the Wikipedia entry of the director and saw that he also directed Frozen and spent a good minute going “WHAT THE gently caress?!” before I realized it was the wrong Frozen. Oh, he went to Hofstra. That explains that joke.

- (20). Suspiria (1977)
Directed by Dario Argento, Written by Argento and Daria Nicolodi.
Recorded off TCM, available on hoopla and Kanopy.

Argento’s classic about a young American dancer who goes to a prestigious German dancing school only to experience a series of gruesome murders and a conspiracy of witches at the core of the school.

I finally watched this Oct ’18 and while I definitely enjoyed it and saw what people said about it I didn’t REALLY see why it was such a big deal. Last October I recorded it off TCM thinking I might rewatch it. I never got around to that that month but before I deleted it I decided to watch the Ben Mankiewicz intro since I love those and caught the very start of the movie and was surprised at how good it looked. It looked so much more vibrant and colorful right from the start than the copy I had seen off of Hoopla so I decided to hang onto it. Finally getting around to it tonight it really was so much more vibrant and beautiful and I really started to see what everyone was saying about the film. It also probably helped a lot that I was on a bigger, better tv. The truth is I don’t pay a ton of attention to the difference between HD and UHD or the number of pixels or that sort of thing but a film like this probably does gain a lot from that.

There’s still some things about the film I thought were shaky. Some of the cuts and such. I think the exposition dump is a little awkward and placed late in the film and would have been better broken up a bit or if we had met those dudes before they show up to explain the movie. The dubbing. But I SAW it this time in a way I didn’t the first time. In particular the infamous ceiling scene, I really finally saw why it was such a celebrated scene and it stood out more this time. The scene where Sarah is being stalked and murdered also has such vibrant colors and great visuals. I saw the them the first time but they stood out so much more this time in a way I know they didn’t then.

I also think that helped the film as it didn’t feel as “long” to me. And like while I know that exposition dump scene bothered me the first time, this time it really didn’t. My theory is that was just me being more engaged in the film when nothing but colors and images were happening so the whole thing flowed better. But its also possible that it just benefited from relaxed expectations. The first time I saw it I watched it as the first film of the month after trying to get my hands on it for years and a lifetime of hype. This time I sat on it for 6 months and watched it 7 days later than I had intended to because I was just waiting for when I was in the mood. That relaxed approach probably helped a lot. And somehow I didn’t even remember how the film ended past Suzy finding the Black Queen. I kind of thought it just ended there so I was definitely more plugged in this time, or at least I think it will leave more of a lasting impression on me this time.

Definitely seeing more of the classic in this now and Argento’s reputation. Looking forward to finally meeting the second of Three Mothers this month.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 7, 2020

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

35) Return of the Scarecrow - 2018 - TubiTV

At this point I'm convinced when someone makes a throwback film, it's for one of two reasons: 1) A genuine love of the films of the era, or 2) To use as an excuse for not putting effort into the film. With this one, it's definitely a 2.

The only way to know this is apparently an 80s era horror-comedy throwback is that it says so in the synopsis. Nothing else gives the idea. Even looking at it as just a horror-comedy, it falls flat. The humor comes across more as 'something that made us smirk while writing the script' than anything else. About the only positives in this one was the scarecrow's appearance and the animated segment explaining the scarecrow's backstory.

This one's definitely skippable.

36) Godmonster of Indian Flats - 1973 - TubiTV

It's not often I come across a movie that genuinely has me wondering 'what the hell did I just sit through?'. At the time of writing this entry, I've sat through it twice and I still have no idea what the hell I sat through.

We've got early 70s Reno, a town living like it's the Wild West as Hollywood showed it in full outdated/cliche depiction even by 70s standards but there's cars and motorcycles, the town's mayor trying to fight off a buyout attempt, an anthropology professor doing mad scientist biology studies, and a mutated sheep monster tearing around. And that's only some of the weirdness in the film. Adding to the bizzareness is this is the Something Weird restoration from the only surviving 35mm print so while it's clarity's good, it still has the expected print damage.

I get the sense that the director had plenty to say and lumped it all into one film instead of picking a subject or two and making multiple films.

Overall, it's a weirdness that's not for everyone, but has to be seen to be believed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just thought this would be an interesting film to pair with Suspiria for fairly obvious reasons. And I couldn’t sleep last night, so I napped today, so I wasn't remotely tired.

17 (21). Climax (2018)
Directed and Written by Gasper Noe
Watched on Prime.

A dance troupe blow off steam with a wild night of excess. Sex, drugs, booze. But it all gradually grows out of control and turns into a nonstop nightmare.

Jesus.

I don’t even know what to say.

This movie is just nonstop movement, in keeping with the dance. That’s literal in that the camera just never stops moving in what very effectively comes off like one long 45 minute continuous shot as it shifts from subject to subject fluidly just as the action the characters are going through and the nightmare its becoming just keep moving at a breakneck speed to its disorientating climax. Its also audible as the soundtrack just never stops thumping and starts to blend disturbingly with the screams and horror its playing for. Its also just more madness happening in every room and out of the corner of scenes than you can even process. Its alive and its losing its poo poo. Its a hell of an experience for sure but you should be warned with like any and every trigger warning you might be worried about. I have no idea if the film is trying to say something. Sometimes it seems like its dabbling in nihilism but I don’t think its that. At times it feels like the world’s greatest anti-drug PSA, but it doesn’t actually feel like its blaming the drugs so much as the assholes who kinda seemed like assholes before the drugs. Noe claims there is no moral lesson and I’m inclined to believe him. There’s obviously stuff in there about race and sexuality and gender and cynicism and a million other things but I’m not sure any of it is really supposed to be saying anything. Its just madness and chaos and constant, terrifying movement as everything falls apart in a waking nightmare.

There’s no real plot to speak of and Wikipedia says the cast of mostly dancers with no acting experience improvised much of it. Although some of the more major events were most certainly scripted the improvisation makes sense as it just added to the constant movement and chaos everywhere. Its honestly not a tremendous acting experience from a lot of them but since much of what they’re asked to do is just to move expressively they’re all capable of doing that and making it their primary medium. Sofia Boutella does a good job carrying the bulk of what exists of a plot and deserves credit for that. I thought she was absolutely captivating from the start as there was something about her presence that had me keeping my eyes on her even during the opening dance number.

Its a hypnotic experience and a remarkable piece. Part of me wants to turn it right back on and rewatch all the dancing and everything that happened now being more familiar with the characters and their fates. Part of me wants to never watch this movie again. Part of me wants to go see Noe’s other work. Part of me wants to swear him off entirely. If you haven’t seen it its definitely something worth considering, but again, be warned its loving dark and goes some very disturbing places that I’m still not really over.

March “Madness” Pre-Gaming
Watched - New (Total)
1) Gallowwalkers (2012); - (2). Re-Animator (1985); - (3). Candyman (1992); - (4). Bride of Re-Animator (1990); - (5) Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (2000); - (6). Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh (1995); - (7). Poltergeist (1982); - (8). Candyman: Day of the Dead (1999); - (9). The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974); - (10). Poltergeist II: The Other Side (1986); - (11). Wishmaster (1997); - (12). The Exorcist (1973); - (13). Hell House LLC (2015); 2 (14). The Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977); - (15). Hell House LLC II: The Abaddon Hotel (2018); - (16). Final Destination (2000); - (17). The Prophecy (1995); - (18). Poltergeist III (1988); 3 (19). The Exorcist III (1990); - (20). Idle Hands (1999); - (21). Night of the Living Dead (1990); - (22). Psycho (1960); - (23). Demons (1985); (24). The Descent (2005); - (25). Monsters (2010);

April “Spring Shut-In” Marathon
Watched - New (Total)
1. Blood Punch (2014); 2. La morte vivanta aka The Living Dead Girl (1982); 3. Prom Night (1980); 4. Rabid (1977); 5. Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II (1987); 6. Mayhem (2017); - (7). Wishmaster 2: Evil Never Dies (1999); 7 (8). The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986); 8 (9). Color Out of Space (2020); - (10). Critters (1986); 9 (11). The Prophecy II (1998); 10 (12). Hell House LLC III: Lake of Fire (2019); 11 (13). Demons 2 (1986); 12 (14). Final Destination 2 (2003); 13 (15). Wishmaster 3: Beyond the Gates of Hell (2001); 14 (16). Maniac Cop (1988); - (17). The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971); 15 (18). Zombieland: Double Tap (2019); 16 (19). Hatchet (2006); - (20). Suspiria (1977); 17 (21). Climax (2018);

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 7, 2020