Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

FFXIVs localization is radically different from english to japanese. They can absolutely fit a joke like that if they wanted to just for the westerners

It’s also the best localization square has ever done and from what I hear the original script is kind of bland by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

JBP posted:

Hard mode is hard.

Well the first boss was hard but I reworked my materia and won. Prayer and chakra will be very important so I'm just using them a lot to make them work better and it's made the game easy again. You also get lots of levels, AP and skill points in hard mode so you get strong very quickly. Nothing has given me an issue after the boss but we will see.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

It’s also the best localization square has ever done and from what I hear the original script is kind of bland by comparison.

Originally it was, now Koji Fox works with both the english and japanese teams to make sure everything is consistent and punchy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I didn't bother with the sidequests on hard and the game took them from complete to unfinished. Why even show them if hard modifies it lol.

Air buster is no bullshit on hard God drat

JBP fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 6, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/242093653328134145/696539247204630568/1585915061060.webm

Ending Spoiler, and some context 7 seconds is how long it takes Sephiroth to drop and stab Aerith in the original FF7

RIGHT THREAD THIS TIME

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The best FF localizations are FFXII and FFXV.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Yeah like Omni said, the Japanese fans actually complained and asked for them to make the JP version more like the English localisation after bilingual Japanese players hyped it up so much so now they're more in line.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah like Omni said, the Japanese fans actually complained and asked for them to make the JP version more like the English localisation after bilingual Japanese players hyped it up so much so now they're more in line.

Also to avoid things like the Nael situation from occuring again.

So in 1.0 Nael Van Darnus was the Legatus of the VIIth legion in charge of the METEOR project (Yeah XIV be like that, think of it as a big theme park of Final Fantasy), who for the most part was believed to be male, but was actually a woman by the name of Eula, who'd taken her brothers identity when he died. In 2.x Nael shows up again as the thrall of Bahamut, and when she's revealed as a woman the english translation says something along the lines of "Bahamut twisted Nael's form when he enthralled her." which is... not how that line goes in Japanese to put it simply. Then there was another thing with a character Hauchefaunt, which made him basically swap characterization between an expansions for Japanese players, and from them it was like "Okay, why don't work together, to ensure these don't happen."

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I heard that there's supposed to be a scene where Cloud and Co. come across the entryway to Deepground and the ghosts show up and just usher them the gently caress away from there. Does anyone know where I can see that scene? Because it sounds hilarious.
It doesn't play out quite like that sadly.

After the plate comes down, you make a quick visit to Elmyra's house but she tells them not to go after Aeris and cause more trouble. The party decides to pick through the sector 7 ruins looking for surviors. Climbing through the rubble you follow Biggs' cat down underground into a secret abandoned shinra lab exposed by the rubble. You see Biggs is still alive through a window and then the party falls through a grate in the ground. You wake up as Barret wandering through generic warehouse areas, then Tifa joins, they find the unconscious/comatose Biggs and move him to safety, then there's a boss against a weird new monster, Cloud joins in. At the end of the fight Barret shoots the boss monster through a wall exposing a load of bio-tanks with dead people inside.

The party realise ShinRa are doing human experiments until death. The boss was implied to be the result of these experiments (like the monsters in the Nibel reactor?). Cloud is like "I kinda knew Shinra did this poo poo" and the timeghosts turn up and fly out and carry the party back outside.

Then they decide they need to save Aeris because she'll be experimented on to death.

When I saw secret doofy lab dungeon, I assumed Deepground but I didn't spot any direct connections in the footage I saw.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I'm partial to retcon wraiths, personally

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wait, was the report of nobody dying from the plate crash in the remake false?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

This is why it’s hilarious to me that people are going as far as cancelling their preorders based on spoiler telephone before the game was even released.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Just like it always was.

Seriously, it just hit me. AVALANCHE all die defending the pillar not to the plate crash.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

So they show some survivors in the ending... but like... You loving told everyone to get out in vanilla FF7. PRESUMABLY, SOME PEOPLE LEFT. Aerith also directly in RE goes to like a Sector 7 'leader' (it's an old lady with crazy hair) to warn the plate's dropping and to GTFO. Presumably everyone on top of the plate died from the sheer drop.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So wait does Avalanche live or was that also bullshit?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

So wait does Avalanche live or was that also bullshit?

from what I'm seeing.

Biggs: You have the chapter with him after the plate falls. We next see him in a bed in the ending just starting to wake up so = alive.
Jessie: Tries to suicide attack a helicopter with a grenade (Forget if it's Tsengs or not), the Ghosts swarm and stop it from destroying it. Status Unknown.
Wedge: Survives the plate fall. Tries to help out at the Shinra building. Gets jumped by ghosts. Status Unknown.

No idea if this is fixed, related to events, or whatnot. But they're definitely left the door open for bringing at least Biggs back in later parts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think this stuff is kinda interesting. And like, if you want FF7 again, I have a game for you. It's called FF7.

A remake's an egotistical exercise one way or another. I'd rather they get loving weird instead of playing it safe. If it works out, they've made interesting art and a meta commentary on a classic. If it doesn't work, the original game still exists.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Onmi posted:

In 2.x Nael shows up again as the thrall of Bahamut, and when she's revealed as a woman the english translation says something along the lines of "Bahamut twisted Nael's form when he enthralled her."

God I wish I had the bahamut materia

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Jessie cheesily dies in Cloud's arms giving a speech and a fist bump while Tifa cries. Possibly the only confirmed/named casualty from the platefall.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Big Scary Owl posted:

You guys should post the meltdowns so we can see too lol

Someone just called me son of a bitch on a Spanish forum for saying Midgar is just as linear in FFVII as it is in the Remake. English forums are tame in comparison.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm all down for changes so far honestly. My main worry is Square is pretty hit and miss, especially when it comes to adding new stuff to old things. Like hell the Ardyn dlc for FF15 that kinda shat on a lot of the cooler stuff in that game for a recent example. And the original Compilation. What we've got so far is great but I can't alleviate the worry that they'll poo poo the bed hard later. But like what I've seen of the changed and expanded stuff so far has been great, so I should probably worry less but they have kind of earned a lack of faith here I think.

Gameplay is impeccable though. Give me some more of that any time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think the whole reason I'm on board for the story changes is that they've made it, like, a whole thing. If the remake had come with a bunch of story changes that were just sort of there, I think it probably would've annoyed me and I would've wished it was just a more faithful remake. But the fact that it's something a lot weirder and wilder than that makes it interesting.

Can't deny that the trainwreck that is the Compilation has me worried that future installments of this will get extremely up their own asses, though. I mean FF7 on its own is convoluted and weird, but the Compilation is something else entirely, and I'd hate it if that was the sort of direction this is heading. At least they seem to have the characters right, though, and that might be all it takes to save it from being another Compilation situation.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Does Rufus show up for his boss fight?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean they've already shown it won't really be a compilation thing. The characters are on point and there's a lot more natural humor than the other compilation stuff managed. Even with the additions the tone hews pretty close to the original FF7.

Heck, even the theming of the new stuff actually matches FF7. FF7 is a game about memory, imagined glory, how your mind can play tricks on you and force you to see things in ways that just aren't true. The remake is taking that theme and expanding it to FF7 itself. It's way more thematically relevant than how literal, say, Advent Children was with that, with Sephiroth literally saying 'I'll never be a memory.' That felt more just literal, like someone saw the word memory getting thrown around in FF7. This feels more like somethign that emerges naturally from FF7's thematic throughline.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iunno why this doubleposted

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

MonsterEnvy posted:

I assume he does since he was in the latest trailer shotgun boosting himself at cloud like a vergil.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

VagueRant posted:

Jessie cheesily dies in Cloud's arms giving a speech and a fist bump while Tifa cries. Possibly the only confirmed/named casualty from the platefall.

Cloud never getting to chose Jessie as a partner or even a date at the Golden Saucer is the one universal constant the developers agreed to with the Retcon Wraiths.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

VagueRant posted:

It doesn't play out quite like that sadly.

After the plate comes down, you make a quick visit to Elmyra's house but she tells them not to go after Aeris and cause more trouble. The party decides to pick through the sector 7 ruins looking for surviors. Climbing through the rubble you follow Biggs' cat down underground into a secret abandoned shinra lab exposed by the rubble. You see Biggs is still alive through a window and then the party falls through a grate in the ground. You wake up as Barret wandering through generic warehouse areas, then Tifa joins, they find the unconscious/comatose Biggs and move him to safety, then there's a boss against a weird new monster, Cloud joins in. At the end of the fight Barret shoots the boss monster through a wall exposing a load of bio-tanks with dead people inside.

The party realise ShinRa are doing human experiments until death. The boss was implied to be the result of these experiments (like the monsters in the Nibel reactor?). Cloud is like "I kinda knew Shinra did this poo poo" and the timeghosts turn up and fly out and carry the party back outside.

Then they decide they need to save Aeris because she'll be experimented on to death.

When I saw secret doofy lab dungeon, I assumed Deepground but I didn't spot any direct connections in the footage I saw.

Aw, that sounds less funny.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes, and they turned him into the "cool, patient samurai" archetype. I love the little cutscenes they added in the middle of boss fights. In Rufus' case they're particularly hilarious.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

They show part of his boss fight in the launch trailer, if you're curious to see some.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Does he come with his Panther.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Yes, his kitty is still in.

I want to see the reactions of people who never played the original when during the FMV that's the emotional climax of the game there's a cutaway to a cartoon cat punching the ground in frustration.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The review thread on /r/Games is in full meltdown mode if anyone wants to gawk:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/fvvzqy/final_fantasy_vii_remake_review_thread/

Most reviews talk about how things start changing wildly towards the end and people are not taking it well over there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Reddit seems like a boundless source of the mentally unwell, both in this specific case and also in general.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
A friend of mine showed me the spoilers (neither of us care that much about getting spoiled, we're both going to wait a couple of games in before starting, nor do we have a strong attachment to FF7) and we're having polar opposite reactions. She thinks it's stupid, unnecessary and awful, I say it's rad as hell and gives purpose to the remake and the original existing in the same platforms.

This is gonna be a fun couple weeks as the internet fights over Nomura's wild ride.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Reddit's kind of hit or miss depending on the subreddit, but the big gaming subreddits are cesspools, just absolute negativity vortexes.

Figured I'd post that anyone since earlier in the thread people wanted to see the meltdowns. I'm sure once more people actually play the game we'll see some even better ones.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I bet you that the next FF7R game will be something like Final Fantasy 7 Remaster or Rebuild. Just Re"something" and we all better strap in to Nomura's wild ride.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really hope they do the thing where each one has a different Re- title, ending with Reunion.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Harrow posted:

I really hope they do the thing where each one has a different Re- title, ending with Reunion.

Final Fantasy VII Remake 1.0: You are (not) SOLDIER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Harrow posted:

Revise
Recall
Restore
Remind
Reforged