Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Carlosologist posted:

honestly, Yakuza 4 is a good story up until the preposterous rubber bullets come into play

Naaaah it's still great even after that

Yakuza 4 is so good, Arai is one of my favourite characters in the whole series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Arai is a lot cooler than Mine , who is my least favorite antagonist (I haven't finished 5 though)

Edit: 6s was weak too, which is one of it's only flaws

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 5, 2020

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

oh no doubt the story is still fun especially once it all gets tied together through the four characters

I haven't played 6 yet since I'm revamping my setup but I can't wait to get to it after replaying 5

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

mastershakeman posted:

Arai is a lot cooler than Mine , who is my least favorite antagonist (I haven't finished 5 though)

Noooo Mine is good and so is 6's. I don't know what else to say. Finish 5 please

e: there is NO 6 SPOILERS FROM NOW ON for the guy who just started 6.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I want to start 6 but this quarantine means no money spending for me. I'm so goddamned anxious too, I need another dose of Dragon Engine Yakuza.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I found 4 to be the most convoluted and nonsensical, but some of its individual character moments were great.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

man nurse posted:

I found 4 to be the most convoluted and nonsensical, but some of its individual character moments were great.

The constant betrayals were what sold me on the series, I love how convoluted its plot gets for the sake of constant betrayal

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Oh my god Kiryu has the power to befriend cats

This is the greatest game even if Pocket Fighter’s appearance comes without his minigame

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Kiryu being mad chill with Hamazaki and then not understanding why Haruka - who saw him get stabbed at the end of 3 - is pissed is peak Kiryu it's almost hilarious

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i really like how the beach in front of sunshine is where escaped prisoners wash up. it's the exclusive location for it.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

the rubber bullets are good if only for the scene where king cop rants out that that's one of the stupidest cover-up plans he's ever seen

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Decided to hop back into Kiwami 1 for the first time since I completed the story to do some clearing up on the completion list and 81% is where madness begins to set in, mostly because of Goro 'five health bars' Majima and gambling.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Walton Simons posted:

Decided to hop back into Kiwami 1 for the first time since I completed the story to do some clearing up on the completion list and 81% is where madness begins to set in, mostly because of Goro 'five health bars' Majima and gambling.

Just to make sure, you’re spamming Tiger Drop like there’s no tomorrow for the former, right?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I've only just learned Tiger Drop so I'll use it from now on, before I was using rush style and weapons.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I can't believe how OP Tiger drop is.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

seiferguy posted:

It's a very good in universe explanation for why no one believes kiryu can live up to the legend , right until they swing at him and are suddenly plastered into a wall across the street

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Tiger Drop is even more obscene in Yakuza 5 because you get a skill (near the end of the game) that makes its window of opportunity much more forgiving. You can't not tiger drop someone.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

And Tyler Too! posted:

Tiger Drop is even more obscene in Yakuza 5 because you get a skill (near the end of the game) that makes its window of opportunity much more forgiving. You can't not tiger drop someone.

Y5 is Kiryu at his peak, it’s incredible how you just monster people towards the end.

Also I replayed 4 and forgot that Akiyama had his own sort of Tiger Drop type attack. Never really got time to master it, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
akiyama's counter was just a counter, not an artillery shell disguised as a punch.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Y4 Kiryu gets himself back into shape so quickly it's kinda scary. In universe Kiryu is super-hero strong so it's not surprising that Akiyama's counter isn't as strong

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 5, 2020

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Something I wonder quite a bit now about Tiger Drop is if Yagami's Flux Fissure has surpassed it in sheer power. Tiger Drop has that burst counter effect going for it, but Flux Fissure can be weaved into combos and is an offensive move that, when fully leveled and timed correctly, is brutal.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
As a single hit, sure, but I can use only 1 Flux Fissure per target (maybe 2). That's tied less to player skill/timing and more to the game saying "no I'm blocking these now". Not every attack can be Tiger Dropped but enough can IME. I can choose to Tiger Drop something to death as long as it spits out counterable attacks through the fight.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The final climactic showdown between Kiryu and the final boss of any game is the boss rushing up to Kiryu and getting gut punched hard enough to send him flying across the room only to get back up and try it again, rinse and repeat. Occasionally Kiryu kicks him in the stomach instead

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Flux Fissure is even more nuts to me because you don't even have to time anything, even if you just whiff the initial punch inevitably one of the enemies near you will walk into the rest.

Carlosologist posted:

Y4 Kiryu gets himself back into shape so quickly it's kinda scary. In universe Kiryu is super-hero strong so it's not surprising that Akiyama's counter isn't as strong

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

akiyama's counter was just a counter, not an artillery shell disguised as a punch.

gently caress yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5ebDwmA2DU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Something I wonder quite a bit now about Tiger Drop is if Yagami's Flux Fissure has surpassed it in sheer power. Tiger Drop has that burst counter effect going for it, but Flux Fissure can be weaved into combos and is an offensive move that, when fully leveled and timed correctly, is brutal.

Y5 QTE after QTE as Aizawa's massive health evaporates anytime Kiryu is controllable.

Flux is better against trash, but against coliseum / boss type mobs it's Tiger all the way. And it's blocked after one success.

Really as much as people laud Flux Fissure Yagami's true strength is Ex mode heat moves. He has so many that are easy to trigger, and in Crane a lot of them hit multiple people to make them viable against trash. It's kinda like the Y3 / Y4 rolling headbutt, very easy to trigger, except he has a LOT of them so you can go down the list and not hit scaling.

In the latter half of the game, I used Flux exclusively for the Heat gen so I could continue rampaging in Ex mode.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

seiferguy posted:

I've personally given the Tiger Drop the nickname of "The Trivializer" because you can use it to pretty much coast through any battle in the game without even having to try. It feels like they dialed it back a little damage-wise in Y2K as opposed to Y1K, but even then it's still hilariously overpowered. It's pretty much the BFG-9000 of hand-to-hand combat moves.

I started playing Y3HD after beating Y2K the other day. I was preparing myself for some quality whiplash going from one to another but since Y3 was my first ever Yakuza game I felt like I could handle it, but son of a bitch are the first four chapters a tortuous drag. I'm almost convinced Chapter 4 is a low-key test in psychological torture in how they keep dangling the carrot of "Oh, don't you need to catch your flight back to Kamurocho ASAP, Kiryu?" while constantly bombarding the player with just one more goddamn thing you have to do first be it babysitting the orphans or entertaining some stranger on the street on how to take pictures of things on the street to learn new moves. Could have some of this stuff waiting until I got to Kamurocho first? I was dying to have the story move forward but the game keeps arrogantly refusing to let me continue. It makes the whole Kiryu needs to capture the ring thief and keep hitting Shinji up for money bit at the beginning of the first Yakuza feel like a brief inconvenience. I actually tossed my controller to the floor at one point because I couldn't take all the endless busywork it throws at the player. In retrospect I'm kind of surprised I stuck with the series after that because if I played that today I would have probably given up on the series entirely.

Also, compared to the later titles, the combat in Y3 is janky as gently caress. It's shocking how easy it is to get stunlocked in to a corner by just two or three trash mobs. In one of the substories, I had three enemies shave off 60% of my health bar in seconds before the game afforded me the chance to actually do anything in response.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

6's was great because he was an irredeemable rear end in a top hat that was a legitimate threat to Kiryu. Nothing romantic, humanizing or inspiring about their conflict, here is a shithead that *will* do anything to get power because he is a complete and utter dick, and he has Kiryu's family on the ropes. He's exactly what the narrative calls for. There are enough sympathetic antagonists in the game.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The only reason I beat the last boss of Y5 was because of Tiger Drop. Had WAAAAAY too many health bars and then suddenly I started just Tiger Dropping him and suddenly he'd lost like 4 bars and everything was fine.

Also, I just got Tiger Drop in 6 (I have like a billion skill points EXCEPT for the green category, so it's slow-going to get stuff.) I...haven't once been able to pull it off.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh my god every rooftop fight is the stupidest macho poo poo ever and I Love it

Edit why is Daigo so dumb

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 6, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

mastershakeman posted:

Edit why is Daigo so dumb

lol the eternal mystery.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Really need to stop playing story missions while drunk, my ability to remember Japanese names is bad normally but I lose track of the plot in record time if I'm not completely focusing. Just a little ways into part 2 on Yakuza five and I've had to look up a plot summary several times with extreme caution lest I get the whole story spoiled.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Brass Hand posted:

The best part about Mesuking is the substories around it being so wholesome while the game itself is just fan service

I love you, Kiryu :allears:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

never change, kiryu

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Rookoo posted:

Really need to stop playing story missions while drunk, my ability to remember Japanese names is bad normally but I lose track of the plot in record time if I'm not completely focusing. Just a little ways into part 2 on Yakuza five and I've had to look up a plot summary several times with extreme caution lest I get the whole story spoiled.

I'm almost done with the finale and only just started getting names to faces

the weirdest thing for me is Azumi, I actually looked him up to see why I couldn't remember him and it turns out hes just a nobody that's a lieutenant. Everyone else has final fantasy 8 syndrome where they all were connected decades before, but not him

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I’m really glad that every enemy in Yakuza either approaches Kiryu or is accosting an innocent bystander, because otherwise the gratuitous violence might start feeling uncomfortable and not cathartic at some point.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

they picked the most random substories to do cutscenes for in Y4. As an example why did they animate Kiryu getting slapped as opposed to the Stardust substories

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
This will no doubt anger someone, but the only time I've successfully tiger dropped someone outside of training was the end boss of yakuza 6.

And I never used flux fissure either in judgement.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

FairGame posted:

The only reason I beat the last boss of Y5 was because of Tiger Drop. Had WAAAAAY too many health bars and then suddenly I started just Tiger Dropping him and suddenly he'd lost like 4 bars and everything was fine.

Also, I just got Tiger Drop in 6 (I have like a billion skill points EXCEPT for the green category, so it's slow-going to get stuff.) I...haven't once been able to pull it off.

Tiger Drop is pretty hard to do in the dragon engine for whatever reason.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Copper For Lyfe posted:

This will no doubt anger someone, but the only time I've successfully tiger dropped someone outside of training was the end boss of yakuza 6.

You nailed it when it mattered most, and I for one am proud of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I tend to avoid the Tiger Drop as well, just because I feel like it seriously cheapens fights when all you have to do is counter them over and over.

Unless, of course, the fight is already cheap and frustrating, in which I'll gladly gut punch him into the atmosphere.