Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Holy poo poo, the sequel to King of Dragon Pass actually came out :aaaaa:
Six Ages has been on iOS for quite a while now. I'm glad to finally see it on something I actually own, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Cardiovorax posted:

Six Ages has been on iOS for quite a while now. I'm glad to finally see it on something I actually own, though.

Yeah, I picked it up on iOS where it apparently came put last year. But I remember when it announced, the release seemed so distant and frankly unlikely that I just pushed it out of mind.

Sprenk
May 8, 2005

(not fat)
Not sure this is the right thread for it, but anyway. I signed up for the Humble Choice thing with the coupon from the covid bundle. I picked out my games for this month, but I saw that they would start billing me like the 24th of May or some such. Doesn't that mean I could also pick out games for May once they get released, and then cancel the Choice before the bill hits? In effect, you'd get two months? It sounds weird to me but I don't really know how it works.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sprenk posted:

Not sure this is the right thread for it, but anyway. I signed up for the Humble Choice thing with the coupon from the covid bundle. I picked out my games for this month, but I saw that they would start billing me like the 24th of May or some such. Doesn't that mean I could also pick out games for May once they get released, and then cancel the Choice before the bill hits? In effect, you'd get two months? It sounds weird to me but I don't really know how it works.

Nope, you get access to May's games on the 24th unless you choose to have them bill you early for them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sprenk posted:

No, the billing for a given month only goes into effect at the end of the month, so that you have time to decide if you want the stuff or not, at which point you can then pick out which of the games you want. A week or so later, the stuff for the next month will be revealed.

You can, however, choose to be billed early and get access to the games you want to select early. Think of it as kind of like a pre-order, basically: you put in your order for it now, but you only pay cash on arrival.

Sprenk
May 8, 2005

(not fat)

goferchan posted:

Nope, you get access to May's games on the 24th unless you choose to have them bill you early for them.

Cardiovorax posted:

No, the billing for a given month only goes into effect at the end of the month, so that you have time to decide if you want the stuff or not, at which point you can then pick out which of the games you want. A week or so later, the stuff for the next month will be revealed.

You can, however, choose to be billed early and get access to the games you want to select early. Think of it as kind of like a pre-order, basically: you put in your order for it now, but you only pay cash on arrival.

Ah yeah, that does make more sense. Thanks for the clarification!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I liked all the ancient aliens stuff in Origins but it was really weird how neither Bayek nor the animus lady ever commented on the stuff you came across. Surely Bayek would have some thoughts on putting on a glowing iron man suit after being teleported out of a hologram cave?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I like to imagine the Final Fantasy tie-ins as actual in-universe paid advertising added by Abstergo.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm weird, I actually liked the BUT ALIENS real world part of the Desmond substory and wasn't really interested as much in Ancient Italy/Rome or whatever.

I mean like it was cool like, OLD ANCIENT CITY, but the Today parts were easier to relate to....because well, it's today.

But it seemed like they weren't doing enough of them.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1247163040664977412

e: wait poo poo epic games store sorry thread, we'll have to wait a year
LMAO Deep Silver milking that Epic :10bux:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Since someone asked a Humble Choice question:

If I pause a month (I already own everything I'd want from this month) do I lose access to the Classic plan I'm grandfathered into?

This kinda makes it seem like I will

(I pay annually if this makes a difference)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

101 posted:

If I pause a month (I already own everything I'd want from this month) do I lose access to the Classic plan I'm grandfathered into?
Done it twice already, no you don't. You don't get to access the trove and your store discount while paused, though, so you may as well do it on the literal last day.

I pay monthly, though, so you should check if this actually pushes your due date back a month.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

101 posted:

Since someone asked a Humble Choice question:

This kinda makes it seem like I will

(I pay annually if this makes a difference)

Pausing does not terminate the Classic plan. You can find that statement on the transition FAQ they put out.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 6, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

The reason they shitcanned the obvious modern day AC is because they had no idea how to adapt the AC formula to a time when cars and guns existed. Like their dumb, by committee, "this is how X is done, Y works like this, climb the towers yo reveal the map etc etc." Iirc, that much has even been said in interviews before. They just don't know how to do an AC game where you're not stabbing everyone while running around on foot.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

The reason they shitcanned the obvious modern day AC is because they had no idea how to adapt the AC formula to a time when cars and guns existed. Like their dumb, by committee, "this is how X is done, Y works like this, climb the towers yo reveal the map etc etc." Iirc, that much has even been said in interviews before. They just don't know how to do an AC game where you're not stabbing everyone while running around on foot.

Watch Dogs?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

The reason they shitcanned the obvious modern day AC is because they had no idea how to adapt the AC formula to a time when cars and guns existed.
... but like every game since Black Flag has has guns in it, at the latest?

Orv
May 4, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

While you are mostly wrong about this (Watch Dogs) let us not forget the final modern day section of AC3, wherein Desmond breaks into an Abstergo facility to find that all the security guards are armed with glocks that fire one round every minute.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Does anyone have any opinions on Let It Die? The idea of a gear-based dungeon-crawler where you need to craft/scavenge gear as you climb a huge fuckin tower is really appealing, but I know it's F2P and shot-through with microtransactions and mobage-style inticements to spend. Is it fairly lenient or do you hit a point where you need to spend real money to advance?

I'm looking for a new (non-supernatural, non-charactyer action) brawler after finishing the Yakuza series but it's tough.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 6, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pierson posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on Let It Die? The idea of a gear-based dungeon-crawler where you need to craft/scavenge gear as you climb a huge fuckin tower is really appealing, but I know it's F2P and shot-through with microtransactions and mobage-style inticements to spend. Is it fairly lenient or do you hit a point where you need to spend real money to advance?

You reach a point where it becomes extremely prohibitive to advance without paying, though not impossible and you do this within like three to six hours played depending on how good you are at Souls-likes.

It's also an exceptionally bad Souls-like atop that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

I think this was a solved problem by then. The answer is to give the player a fuckload of mobility options.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Cardiovorax posted:

Blackpowder firearms, not 600 round a minute automatics. Big difference. And I'm saying what I remember from old interviews I read at the time, when gaming magazines still existed.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Pierson posted:

I'm looking for a new (non-supernatural, non-charactyer action) brawler after finishing the Yakuza series but it's tough.

It can be really brutal and unforgiving, which initially seems like big incentive to spend money, but in almost every case spending money won't help you either.

It's honestly most like a weird indie roguelike, with bizarre design decisions everywhere. Kinda like, what's the name, that Dreamcast roguelike RPG. Baroque! It's kinda like that, a little.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Orv posted:

While you are mostly wrong about this (Watch Dogs) let us not forget the final modern day section of AC3, wherein Desmond breaks into an Abstergo facility to find that all the security guards are armed with glocks that fire one round every minute.

I always thought it would be cool for the modern game to have you say running around the coliseum modern day, and the screen flashes and you're Ezio in Italy and the guys with submachine guns are now guards with crossbows, and then mix that up for the other games in the Desmond series. Climbing through scaffolding in an under construction high rise and now you're Edward running around a sea of ships' yards and masts, etc.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
This is a very weird question: I have a few games in my inventory left over from when you could do that. Are they worth anything more than what the game is normally worth? Someone is asking for one of the games in my inventory and I don’t know if that makes it special since I guess he could just buy it from the Steam store itself

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Orv posted:

It's also an exceptionally bad Souls-like atop that.
Ouch. It's a shame too because the aesthetic looked fun.

I did try chasing a good new Souls-like game for a while and tried like a half-dozen (Code Vein, Surge 1+2 etc) but they all suffer from being Not As Good As Bloodborne.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

This is a very weird question: I have a few games in my inventory left over from when you could do that. Are they worth anything more than what the game is normally worth? Someone is asking for one of the games in my inventory and I don’t know if that makes it special since I guess he could just buy it from the Steam store itself

What game is it?

Orv
May 4, 2011

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Not inherently simply by being giftable but depending on the game it might be a bit of a rip off.

PlushCow posted:

I always thought it would be cool for the modern game to have you say running around the coliseum modern day, and the screen flashes and you're Ezio in Italy and the guys with submachine guns are now guards with crossbows, and then mix that up for the other games in the Desmond series. Climbing through scaffolding in an under construction high rise and now you're Edward running around a sea of ships' yards and masts, etc.

They actually kind of sort of flirted with this a couple times, first in Unity with the WW2 sections and then more recently in Origins and Odyssey which both have sequences where your perception of reality shifts during a given sequence, but nothing that overt. Would be cool though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Pierson posted:

Ouch. It's a shame too because the aesthetic looked fun.

I did try chasing a good new Souls-like game for a while and tried like a half-dozen (Code Vein, Surge 1+2 etc) but they all suffer from being Not As Good As Bloodborne.

it's pretty crummy but it is free so it's got that going for it at least. gachapon mechanics, money traps, and a power creep curve so violent it's criminal ahoy though. if for whatever reason you do end up pulling the trigger on it just to check it out, never use real money currency (which the game throws a bunch at you when you're starting out to get you hooked) for anything besides expanding your stash. the game will beg you for fifty cents each time your character dies and it's absolutely the worst way to spend real world money on the game since all your characters get obsoleted as you climb the tower anyway, and if you want your inventory full of blueprints back you can just pay a pittance of in game cash for that

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PlushCow posted:

This would rule, if you handled combat as Desmond having some :stare: type flashbacks and then snapped back to reality after it was done it would both solve the modern combat problem and really sell that Desmond’s constant animus usage and the Bleeding Effect are really scrambling his brain.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Sininu posted:

What game is it?

Child of Light
But I got a few other games hanging around too

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

Blackpowder firearms, not 600 round a minute automatics. Big difference. And I'm saying what I remember from old interviews I read at the time, when gaming magazines still existed.
Mh, fair point. I imagine it wouldn't have been that difficult to just handwave it the same as other games also habitually get away with, but I'm not Ubisoft.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Child of Light
Unless those games have since been delisted, no.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Child of Light

As far as I can tell that game has nothing special about it so I wouldn't worry much about getting ripped off.

I got a game lying around too. Someone pls take my Awesomenauts copy. It's f2p now, but you'll get two characters for free with it!!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ymgve posted:

Just ignore the sound stuff, you only need to activate 7 of the 11 lasers to finish the game. Also ignore the village area until you've been through every other area, if that has stumped you - it is placed close to the start of the game, but you are not supposed to understand the puzzles there yet.

Did you discover the big "secret" of the game yet?

Don't want to spoil it directly, but it is revealed a bit into this video, if you want to know it. It is also a great video in general about The Witness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOJC62t4JfA

Woof, what a game. I got a bunch of lasers up, started to descend into the 'endgame' area and then left when I found the puzzles with broken screens. That's not stimulating, that's just being a loving dick. Opened a few doors in the village, came to a puzzle about color mixing, and was about to alt-tab out to find out what color red and blue light mix into when I realized I really don't care anymore, I'm done. 10 hours in and I'm not going to bother to finish the game, it's really reinforcing my belief that someone got inspired by Talos and then totally failed to make a good successor.

btw that's a 30 minute video...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

New GTFO rundown scenarios seem fun, played and beat the first one. Some new graphics,
they introduce a few of the new mechanics.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Superanos posted:

Just in case you didn't know, that game does not end when you've built your last snowman. The other half of the game is even more insane.

I am super super curious but also too dumb to solve this final puzzle. I'll keep pokinig at it!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

seriously what the gently caress am i supposed to do

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

time works the same way

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

StrixNebulosa posted:

seriously what the gently caress am i supposed to do

I think I remember this puzzle! Specifically, I remember looking up the solution because I'd had enough. :negative: If I remember correctly the solution is super long and complicated. I couldn't bring myself to do the post-game. Think overall I like Cosmic Express and Sokobond better than Snowman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Serephina posted:

I got a bunch of lasers up, started to descend into the 'endgame' area and then left when I found the puzzles with broken screens. That's not stimulating, that's just being a loving dick.

Yes, those broken screen puzzles were obnoxious but I guess the idea was that if you were this far into the game you'd put up with them? Them and the timed/randomized puzzle stuff near the end go against the general laid-back nature of the game. Outside of those I think it's a very well realized puzzle game.