Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Slim Pickens posted:

lol like it hasn't already started

I hope Candace Owens dies from the roni. I genuinely do. Same for a lot of these scum gently caress ghouls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

In unrelated news, Amazon reports streaming demand for "Battleship Potemkin" on Guam suddenly up 47,000%

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tryzzub posted:

i was meaning specifically the rich folks who live near those parks and hang out in them

Don't even the rich fucks of NYC hate Trump? The votes he got in Manhattan alone were laughable

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LingcodKilla posted:

Teddy may been a poo poo head but caring about your troops and the wilderness makes him almost ok.

I'm really conflicted about him because while I definitely like some of the poo poo he did, you can only use the phrase "he was a man of his time" so many times before it just feels like a blanket justification for the many more lovely things he did. That said I'd take almost anyone over what we got at this point

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Honor Blackman is dead, so basically gently caress this dead gay earth

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Green Imperialism definitely a step up from... whatever the hell this is

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm really conflicted about him because while I definitely like some of the poo poo he did, you can only use the phrase "he was a man of his time" so many times before it just feels like a blanket justification for the many more lovely things he did. That said I'd take almost anyone over what we got at this point

Teddy represents, in many ways, both the best and worst of his era. Unflinching courage and bravado, a love for wilderness and a desire to preserve it, a desire to protect Americans from the excesses of big business... but also deep-seated racist paternalism and a lust for war and conflict that ultimately led to his own ruination. A man that can and should be admired for inspirational words and deeds, but whose (many) flaws must not be ignored—which is a sentiment Teddy himself would probably agree with.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

https://twitter.com/dave_brown24/status/1247198856523198464

:lol:

This is wilddddd.

Tag yourselves, I'm the sailor yelling "WHAT THE gently caress?" when Modly calls Crozier stupid.

Man this is some inspiring stuff.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Don't even the rich fucks of NYC hate Trump? The votes he got in Manhattan alone were laughable
It's hilarious that he went from "DIS IS MUH CITY" in the intro to The Apprentice to where he is now. Changing his residency to Florida, insulting and trying to screw over NY at every turn. Finally sort of admitting that NY hates him.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Madurai posted:

Goddamnit

brains
May 12, 2004

Handsome Ralph posted:

This is wilddddd.

Tag yourselves, I'm the sailor yelling "WHAT THE gently caress?" when Modly calls Crozier stupid.

and here i thought the USN was renowned for its damage control

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

brains posted:

:perfect:

Madurai posted:

Though she died at 94 from natural causes, so I can take some solace in that. She lived a good long life.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

brains posted:

heh

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

brains posted:

Nice

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

LingcodKilla posted:

Teddy may been a poo poo head but caring about your troops and the wilderness makes him almost ok.

He didn't care about the wilderness he just wanted places to shoot animals. Hes basically jr. in regards to caring about the wilderness

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

brains posted:

gently caress me

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

He didn't care about the wilderness he just wanted places to shoot animals. Hes basically jr. in regards to caring about the wilderness

And so he created the national park system which bans hunting in most parks?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Milo and POTUS posted:

Trump's entire family was always considered trash. They could never so much as get a sniff of getting on the Social Register, and it used to drive him up the wall that he'd never get invited to elite shindigs.

These upper crust events were usually limited to social register members, which normally came along with massive philanthropic activities. Big donations to the arts, charities, that kind of thing. So Trump was not in the register, nor gave a cent to anyone, and started crashing these parties with camera crews in tow. Needless to say, these people didn't want their faces all over the local tabloids, so he became even less popular. He did it often enough that these events would start being held in fortress like locations, so that a significant security contingent would stop him from getting in no matter what he did, and keep their faces out of the paper. You know, because they didn't want to have their families kidnapped and ransomed and murdered.

So Trump being effectively shut out would run these "competing" events that would occur at the same time, and he'd invite all the people that he thought were cool. But no one thought he was cool so going to a trump event was considered C list at best, and a guarantee that if you had a hope of getting on the social register then that was now up in smoke. You deal with trump, and the a-list would have nothing to do with you.

So basically for decades it was trump being a mangy cur, sniffing for scraps at the table, and then when that didn't work he'd steal the scraps, but then try to give everyone fleas at the same time.

It's also why people like the Kardashians or the Kushners will never get on the social register no matter how much money they've got. They've got to tie themselves to the walmart register and hang out with trump. And normally I'd not give a gently caress about turbo-rich people problems but when it has torn trump up inside for literally decades I find this all really funny.

Although I think trump kind of had the last laugh because the president automatically gets an invite to the register, but apparently no one will still have anything to do with him because he's social poison. And there's the thing that obama was on the register before him.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

This is... not true. He was an avid hunter, yes, and was not an environmentalist in the modern sense of the word, but he did care deeply for preserving places of natural beauty, like Grand Canyon and Yosemite, as well as bird sanctuaries and other safe havens for migratory species.

"Conservation means development as much as it does protection. I recognize the right and duty of this generation to develop and use the natural resources of our land; but I do not recognize the right to waste them, or to rob, by wasteful use, the generations that come after us. I ask nothing of the nation except that it so behave as each farmer here behaves with reference to his own children. That farmer is a poor creature who skins the land and leaves it worthless to his children. The farmer is a good farmer who, having enabled the land to support himself and to provide for the education of his children, leaves it to them a little better than he found it himself. I believe the same thing of a nation."

"Moreover, I believe that the natural resources must be used for the benefit of all our people, and not monopolized for the benefit of the few [...]. [...] there are many people who will go with us in conserving the resources only if they are to be allowed to exploit them for their benefit. That is one of the fundamental reasons why the special interests should be driven out of politics. Of all the questions which can come before this nation, short of the actual preservation of its existence in a great war, there is none which compares in importance with the great central task of leaving this land even a better land for our descendants than it is for us, and training them into a better race to inhabit the land and pass it on. Conservation is a great moral issue, for it involves the patriotic duty of insuring the safety and continuance of the nation. Let me add that the health and vitality of our people are at least as well worth conserving as their forests, waters, lands, and minerals, and in this great work the national government must bear a most important part."

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

not caring here posted:

Trump's entire family was always considered trash. They could never so much as get a sniff of getting on the Social Register, and it used to drive him up the wall that he'd never get invited to elite shindigs.

These upper crust events were usually limited to social register members, which normally came along with massive philanthropic activities. Big donations to the arts, charities, that kind of thing. So Trump was not in the register, nor gave a cent to anyone, and started crashing these parties with camera crews in tow. Needless to say, these people didn't want their faces all over the local tabloids, so he became even less popular. He did it often enough that these events would start being held in fortress like locations, so that a significant security contingent would stop him from getting in no matter what he did, and keep their faces out of the paper. You know, because they didn't want to have their families kidnapped and ransomed and murdered.

So Trump being effectively shut out would run these "competing" events that would occur at the same time, and he'd invite all the people that he thought were cool. But no one thought he was cool so going to a trump event was considered C list at best, and a guarantee that if you had a hope of getting on the social register then that was now up in smoke. You deal with trump, and the a-list would have nothing to do with you.

So basically for decades it was trump being a mangy cur, sniffing for scraps at the table, and then when that didn't work he'd steal the scraps, but then try to give everyone fleas at the same time.

It's also why people like the Kardashians or the Kushners will never get on the social register no matter how much money they've got. They've got to tie themselves to the walmart register and hang out with trump. And normally I'd not give a gently caress about turbo-rich people problems but when it has torn trump up inside for literally decades I find this all really funny.

Although I think trump kind of had the last laugh because the president automatically gets an invite to the register, but apparently no one will still have anything to do with him because he's social poison. And there's the thing that obama was on the register before him.

Apparently he was also the biggest leaker to Page Six (gossip column) by an order of magnitude.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Internet Wizard posted:

And so he created the national park system which bans hunting in most parks?

Technically Roosevelt did not create the National Park system (Which traditionally marks its founding with the creation of either Yosemite in 1864 or Yellowstone in 1872) or the National Park Service (Founded in 1916 to manage the National Parks). Roosevelt's main contribution, aside from being a very vocal advocate for conservation, was in applying the Antiquities Act of 1906 (Designed to prevent European archaeologists from hauling off native artifacts from sites like Mesa Verde) widely and fervently, granting protections to a large number of sites like the aforementioned Mesa Verde, Chaco Canyon, Devil's Tower, Grand Canyon, and others as National Monuments—many of which were later given full-fledged status as National Parks.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gotta crack a few nursing homes to make a UBI omelette

https://twitter.com/TheMendozaWoman/status/1247121283264978947?s=19

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Eej posted:

Bolshevism! :ussr:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Eej posted:

Oh, certain people are going to not like this very much.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A Bad Poster posted:

Oh, certain people are going to not like this very much.

Especially Falangists.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

A take so hot it would kill off all the thermophiles in the Grand Prismatic Spring at Yellowstone.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Handsome Ralph posted:

This is wilddddd.

This is some wholly uninspiring poo poo

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Handsome Ralph posted:

This is wilddddd.

Does the Navy actually want a crew to mutiny?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

BigDave posted:

Glad someone else was thinking the same thing...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

BigDave posted:

Yes, because that just proves how terrible of a captain he was and justifies their firing of him.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
It was like a day ago that the Navy thread was talking about how piracy and privateers are obsolete in modern warfare. But I don't think anyone was thinking that an aircraft carrier could turn to piracy. Might be time to look at that again.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1247240533115670529

https://twitter.com/onionweigher/status/1246928763935494145

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ron_paul.gif

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Thoughts and prayers

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Nothing he didn't bring upon himself.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ceiling fan posted:

It was like a day ago that the Navy thread was talking about how piracy and privateers are obsolete in modern warfare. But I don't think anyone was thinking that an aircraft carrier could turn to piracy. Might be time to look at that again.

Lets say a supercarrier is to mutiny and become some roving mercenary for hire/pirate group. Would sinking it actually be an option? Wait for it to come to shore to resupply? Wait for it to need to refuel?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arrath posted:

Lets say a supercarrier is to mutiny and become some roving mercenary for hire/pirate group. Would sinking it actually be an option? Wait for it to come to shore to resupply? Wait for it to need to refuel?

Spam it with cruise missiles, dogpile it with submarines, or drop a ballistic missile on it if you dgaf.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arrath posted:

How often does a carrier need more JP-5? I'd figure pretty often? I mean, unless you don't use any aircraft...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

You really need the whole fleet not just the carrier