Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Toshimo posted:

Wait. What?

Now I'm backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's backwards because I'm first language english, no need to get complicated.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

All those panels are right to left ya doofus :lol:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Infinitum posted:

All those panels are right to left ya doofus :lol:

Oh okay then I'm a dufus. My bad.

(I had a flashback to the other argument, it's happened like dozens of times in this thread.)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Wait. What?

then you read the panels from up to down, then turn the page over to the left.

loving reading I tell you!

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Sort of relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i had no problem reading the mangas pages

probably because i actually read manga on occasion instead of complaining on the internet about how its backwards and unamerican

e: btw mitsuboshi colors got an anime about a year or so back that was real good, if anyone feels like they might be interested in that series

site fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 5, 2020

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Instead of backwards, we should just use the clearer terminology: "bad and wrong".

:D

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
The only thing dumber than anime being right to left is anime itself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Doc Block posted:

The only thing dumber than anime being right to left is anime itself.

--Franklin D. Roosevelt

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
If you don't like manga, that's fine, and if you have issues with a specific set of pages posted here go ahead and let it out, but just cruising in to say the entire medium sucks, or, even worse, that Japanese writing is wrong (????) isn't really any less tedious than somebody going into the Marvel or DC threads to say that superheroes are for mental infants or whatever. People have been told numerous times not to derail panel threads with this kind of stuff and so from now on it'll be an immediate 12-hour probe.

I don't like a lot of the manga scenes posted in the badass/funny/etc. panels either-- I don't like a lot of stuff posted in them-- but just moving on without posting is the easiest thing in the world.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Spidey #10

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 6, 2020

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Red posted:

Spidey #10

Holy poo poo, that zoom on the mustache.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Also, those Spider-Man sketches JJJ aparently was doodling when Cap interrupts him.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You forgot the best page!

:ninja:

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 6, 2020

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The one with a :filez: watermark?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oops, banned for FILEZ

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Foiled by GIS :negative:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

It looks it was edited out so whatever.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

A wise bit from CITY:

Some characters are trying to escape having a big fete thrown for them, and have to go through a series of kind of half-assed trials to do so. One of them is being dragged along unwillingly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
CONTEXT: Rob Liefield pushed his Image cofounders too far and was booted out of Image. Jim Lee had a little fun with that

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Are those hooves? Do those flamboyant dudes have hooves? Is it a coloring mistake? What?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Karanas posted:

Are those hooves? Do those flamboyant dudes have hooves? Is it a coloring mistake? What?

That is J Scott Campbell mocking how Rob is incapable of dawing feet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dude thought that last panel was a good idea and he still makes fun of someone else's art. that takes some real chutzpah.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't think the handle of Captain Avenger's sword lines up with the blade, lol

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Every terrible thing you see there is a Rob Liefield-ism, in case that wasn't quite clear, who was disliked even at the height of his work's popularity.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

dude thought that last panel was a good idea and he still makes fun of someone else's art. that takes some real chutzpah.

J. Scott Campbell is one of those guys that I genuinely don't get the sustained success of. He's like everything people gave Humberto Ramos poo poo for, but because he doesn't do facial caricature and all his ladies are pinpus with really weird proportions no one seems to care.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Rhyno posted:

CONTEXT: Rob Liefield pushed his Image cofounders too far and was booted out of Image. Jim Lee had a little fun with that

Incidentally this is from Gen 13 #13, which features a lot of 90's-topical comics cameos.

And then in a horrifying twist he eats Beanworld.

Wolverine also shows up but you all know what Wolverine looks like.

This had a cover date of October 1996 so it's an interesting case study of how broad the field of mainstream comics was outside of the popular Image-era stereotypes. Aside from the stuff I've posted here there's also stuff like a bunch of Pulido-style "bad-girls" as well as the main characters from Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise. A really weird, neat artifact that does give Campbell some fun pastiches to show off.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

mind the walrus posted:

J. Scott Campbell is one of those guys that I genuinely don't get the sustained success of. He's like everything people gave Humberto Ramos poo poo for, but because he doesn't do facial caricature and all his ladies are pinpus with really weird proportions no one seems to care.

We had a discussion when Vulpes’ Black Cat launched about how the covers kept some goons from picking it up, but helped make it a big seller among other readers. One of the Campbell variants was a textless cover of Felicia in bathtub full of milk. The cover was selling a different book than the interiors were presenting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

We had a discussion when Vulpes’ Black Cat launched about how the covers kept some goons from picking it up, but helped make it a big seller among other readers. One of the Campbell variants was a textless cover of Felicia in bathtub full of milk. The cover was selling a different book than the interiors were presenting.

Ugh. Like the Greg Horn covers on the Emma Frost series.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes the Greg Horn/Ed Benes effect like on the otherwise solid Slott She-Hulk, Emma Frost solo, and of course Simone's Birds of Prey in the early 00s-- nothing but cheesecake up-front even though inside it was solid stuff. There is a weird subset of the market that really does go for that poo poo like whoa and I'm not going to throw shade as much as say that it seems counter-productive in the long run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ed Benes drew a lot of the BoP interiors so that wasn't exactly false advertising.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

How Wonderful! posted:

It looks it was edited out so whatever.

I didn't even notice, but I guess I'll look closer when GIS-ing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Yes the Greg Horn/Ed Benes effect like on the otherwise solid Slott She-Hulk, Emma Frost solo, and of course Simone's Birds of Prey in the early 00s-- nothing but cheesecake up-front even though inside it was solid stuff. There is a weird subset of the market that really does go for that poo poo like whoa and I'm not going to throw shade as much as say that it seems counter-productive in the long run.

I’ll throw shade, but I’ll always admit that the weirdies buying the low effort cheesecake covers are what have always helped keep shops in business.

And to be clear; not all cheesecake is bad.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

mind the walrus posted:

It's 100% why Zenescope still exists. It has to be.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Ed Benes drew a lot of the BoP interiors so that wasn't exactly false advertising.

And it's not like Gail Simone is opposed to horny in her books anyways.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I’ll throw shade, but I’ll always admit that the weirdies buying the low effort cheesecake covers are what have always helped keep shops in business.

That is the weird part to me. Seems like a feedback loop-- hard to get new demographics because the weirdos and low-effort cheesecake drive out a wider market, but without them you literally can't afford to trial-and-error new material long enough to anchor any real business (and that's on the lofty presumption that such diverse foot traffic for a shop can exist).

And yeah cheesecake is a neutral term. What matters is how it is used.

My only real bug has been the weirdos like Maddox who will pick nits until they're blue in the face about cheesecake not being, well cheesecake and intentionally arousing, and the corresponding tendency to mix-and-match cheesecake covers/interiors with books that are nominally for all ages or would possibly flourish in a different demographic with proper framing/pushing.

There are obviously dozens of complicating factors, but overall it can feel like pointing out that the Emperor Has No Clothes because everyone is really embarrassed to admit they've spanked it to a Frank Cho cover at one point.

Wanderer posted:

It's 100% why Zenescope still exists. It has to be.
I see some Zenescope covers that are legitimately good in that cheesy heavy metal way, but yeah they must be a cheesecake factory in terms of real sales.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 6, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

We should take this to the general chat thread or make a thread about it. I keep forgetting this is the funny panels thread.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

The Power Girl solo run right before the New 52 was cheesecake and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I keep forgetting this is the funny panels thread.

Brutal, jesus!

But anyway I would be very interested in reading about Zenoscope comics and other cheesecake presses, if only because I know so little about them and Random Stranger's Image/Awesome/Extreme deep-dive has been so informative and interesting.