Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Do note that while blue arrows tend to correspond to more robust spell, combat art, and ability lists, this generally does not apply to hidden talents beyond what you get for unlocking them. Also characters without strengths in reason/faith, or who even have weaknesses in them, will sometimes still have weirdly impressive spell lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Like Clockwork posted:

There's also some books in the abyss that heavily imply that Fódlan is an alt-earth that was colonized by dragon aliens before the slitherers decided to use wizard nukes to get rid of them.

Y'know. Normal fantasy things!

They also tried to wizard nuke NORAD Garreg Mach central, but it had a defense system installed so the attack failed and it's why they never try that during the game's events. The other fortress doesn't have that and as such gets wrecked.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SuperKlaus posted:

Hi also new. Do a character's skill aptitudes and deficiencies affect growth and capability beyond how many points they get in one-on-one instructions? I've been sticking very closely to what my dudes have blue arrows for in my training and class selection and I suddenly realized I've been making an assumption and maybe should loosen up.

For weapon skills, the blue arrow also means they learn one or two additional combat arts for that weapon. For magic, there's no particular pattern, but characters with a strength in a magic type tend to get a decent selection. For the other skills (riding, flying, heavy armor), there's no advantage other than the inherent bonus letting you unlock those classes earlier.

For budding talents, training for a weapon also unlocks a combat art, training in magic gets a variety of skills, mostly giving a small combat bonus, but those characters will not learn additional combat arts beyond that, and have mostly mediocre spell lists. The other budding talents give unique skills that aren't available anywhere else, and are basically always worth unlocking.

Authority also is a bit weird. Everybody gets one or two skills that give a bonus if the batallion is down to 1/3rd health or less (rarely useful, but Dimitri gets a powerful combo), and some characters learn "rally" skills which lets them use their turn to give another characters a one-turn bonus. All the house leaders and Byleth also get a defensive skill to reduce the damage dealt to batallions. There's no particular pattern to this, but you want to get everyone some points in authority regardless, because batallions are really good.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 6, 2020

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

All the house leaders and Byleth also get a defensive skill to reduce the damage dealt to batallions.

Everyone gets Defensive Tactics at B Authority. You’re thinking of Model Leader, which those characters plus Seteth and Yuri get at C+; it doubles the rate at which battalions level up.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Since we are on newbie questions. Is there any reason to teach one of your students multiple melee weapon types? Like one of my kids is set at axe/brawling and that seems like a not good idea?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Since we are on newbie questions. Is there any reason to teach one of your students multiple melee weapon types? Like one of my kids is set at axe/brawling and that seems like a not good idea?

Requirements for later tier classes. Axe/brawling is the requirement for Warmaster, a very good but male-only class.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Not particularly. You need to use one of your five skill slots to give them the ability to use any weapon competently so the more weapons/magic you try to train them in the fewer skill slots you have to work with.

The only thing you might want some secondary weapon skills for is to qualify for higher level classes. And even then they rarely require anything beyond C

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Advanced (level 20) and Master (level 30) classes often require proficiency in two or more different skills. You can see the requirements for all classes up to advanced in the reclass menu (inventory → reclass), but the master requirements are hidden until you hit C professor level. If you want to know, the master classes and their requirements are:

Mortal Savant: A Swords, B+ Reason
War Master: A Axes, A Gauntlets; male-only
Gremory: A Reason, A Faith; female-only
Falcon Knight: C Swords, A Lances, B+ Flying; female-only
Wyvern Lord: C Lances, A Axes, A Flying
Great Knight: B+ Axes, A Armor, B+ Riding
Bow Knight: C Lances, A Bows, A Riding
Dark Knight: C Lances, B+ Reason, A Riding
Holy Knight: C Lances, B+ Faith, A Riding

The two flying classes are straight upgrades on Pegasus Knight and Wyvern Rider, but the others are less clear-cut, because they usually give up some of the features of the advanced classes before them for a little more mobility or hybridization.

A rule of thumb is that for classes with one or two different requirements, you can still get a good chance to pass the exam if you're short by one skill rank; if there are three requirements, you can afford to be short by two ranks total and still see better than 70% chances to pass.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 6, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zore posted:

Not particularly. You need to use one of your five skill slots to give them the ability to use any weapon competently so the more weapons/magic you try to train them in the fewer skill slots you have to work with.

The only thing you might want some secondary weapon skills for is to qualify for higher level classes. And even then they rarely require anything beyond C
When do you not have space for two proficiency skills? You have to be on some serious endgame optimised build poo poo there. I have two weapons, or a weapon and magic, and most of my characters at all times.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

It's pretty easy to fill four ability slots with some combination of Death Blow, Darting Blow, Fiendish Blow, Hit +20, Alert Stance, Weight -3, HP +5, and STR/MAG/SPD/DEF +2. Of course in a new game you’re less likely to master a beginner class or master two intermediate classes unless it's Maddening; otherwise you level up too quickly.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Amppelix posted:

When do you not have space for two proficiency skills? You have to be on some serious endgame optimised build poo poo there. I have two weapons, or a weapon and magic, and most of my characters at all times.

I mean almost all my characters are set up with

Weapon Proficiency
*Breaker or Close Counter
Authority Prowess
Death/Fiendish Blow

Then one of any number of fifth skills depending on their class like Vantage, Weapon Critical, Weapon Avoid, Range +1, Weight -3/5 etc

Even early on I'd take Str/Mag/Spd +2, Hp +5 etc over a second weapon proficiency

Like having to waste skill slots on making weapons and authority not poo poo is my least favorite design decision in the game. Skill design in general in this game is rear end, almost all of them are lovely passives since they made all the interesting skills into weapon arts or crests

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 6, 2020

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

There’s also no incentive to use more than one weapon type on a character between the lack of weapon triangle and the limited amount of equip slots for combat arts (not to mention that most of them are useless).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Scrap Dragon posted:

There’s also no incentive to use more than one weapon type on a character between the lack of weapon triangle and the limited amount of equip slots for combat arts (not to mention that most of them are useless).

Eh, I think there's an exception to be made for putting bows or magic on a character who's mainly melee. I've had an assassin on my roster every game because I find the flexibility so useful. Bows especially given the abundance of fliers and flying demonic beasts.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Just beat it on Verdant Wind. This was my first Fire Emblem game, and I enjoyed it well enough. The combat system isn't the most interesting in the world and I feel like could have easily skipped 30 of my 70 hours and still have the same experience though.

As fByleth I ended up picking Mercedes because I didn't like any of the other options [wtf Sothis?]. I was leaning towards Dorothea but after her A Support with Manuela I decided to leave them be.

Raphael/Marianne, Ignatz/Hilda, Claude/Petra: :unsmith:

I didn't know what to do with Bernadetta or Lysithea :(

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Scrap Dragon posted:

That was probably my least favorite aspect of the class system. When every class can use every weapon type and the weapon types have no inherent properties like the weapon triangle, it makes the classes all feel generic and samey. I prefer it when the weapon restrictions on a class affect how it plays.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zore posted:

I mean almost all my characters are set up with

Weapon Proficiency
*Breaker or Close Counter
Authority Prowess
Death/Fiendish Blow
Ohh, I see, you equip Authority. I've literally never used that on anyone.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I used to to equip Authority Prowess on everyone, and then I double-checked what it actually did, because I was convinced it boosted gambit accuracy or evasion at some point.

Zoran posted:

Everyone gets Defensive Tactics at B Authority. You’re thinking of Model Leader, which those characters plus Seteth and Yuri get at C+; it doubles the rate at which battalions level up.

Yeah, I keep mixing those two up. I was counting Seteth and Yuri as house leaders, though!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

galagazombie posted:

That was probably my least favorite aspect of the class system. When every class can use every weapon type and the weapon types have no inherent properties like the weapon triangle, it makes the classes all feel generic and samey. I prefer it when the weapon restrictions on a class affect how it plays.

There are certainly benefits to having a completely open class system, and while it has its minuses I don't want them to totally do away with it. A good compromise might be having classes which can use, say, a sword plus one other weapon type of your choosing, either per battle or at promotion. So maybe you promote Shamir to Bow Knight, and she can use a bow + sword, OR a bow + lance, but not bow + sword + lance.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
One of the things that bothered me the most about the 3DS games was that every character got a generic outfit if you put them in a class other than their default one. If you made anyone other than Lyssa or Maribelle a war cleric, they got the exact same dull blue battleskirt, whereas Three Houses lets anyone put on a battle skirt/ab robe in their own color scheme.

Whatever class system they go with next is cool with me, so long as any option to crack it open and go off the beaten path is accounted for in the art assets.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Zoran posted:

It's pretty easy to fill four ability slots with some combination of Death Blow, Darting Blow, Fiendish Blow, Hit +20, Alert Stance, Weight -3, HP +5, and STR/MAG/SPD/DEF +2. Of course in a new game you’re less likely to master a beginner class or master two intermediate classes unless it's Maddening; otherwise you level up too quickly.

Yeah these were all looking like winners as I was plotting out where to go with my skill spaces, but as you say it seems kinda awkward to bounce between all the classes and entry requirements in question to pick stuff up. And are the +2 stat masteries really competitive later game? Other than Speed I guess?

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

SuperKlaus posted:

Yeah these were all looking like winners as I was plotting out where to go with my skill spaces, but as you say it seems kinda awkward to bounce between all the classes and entry requirements in question to pick stuff up. And are the +2 stat masteries really competitive later game? Other than Speed I guess?

The stat boosts are helpful early on, but typically get replaced later. I wouldn't worry about getting multiple, but the early game is relevant too, especially for maddening.

The arts are more useful long term. I always try to get Monk's Draw Back on my casters because they don't usually use arts, it can be handy, and it's their natural class anyway.

Reposition is also pretty great, but would be competing with actual weapon arts so it's a trade-off. I usually find that I want two damaging arts and a utility one, though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

One of the things that bothered me the most about the 3DS games was that every character got a generic outfit if you put them in a class other than their default one. If you made anyone other than Lyssa or Maribelle a war cleric, they got the exact same dull blue battleskirt, whereas Three Houses lets anyone put on a battle skirt/ab robe in their own color scheme.

Whatever class system they go with next is cool with me, so long as any option to crack it open and go off the beaten path is accounted for in the art assets.

It was annoying that say Owain had a unique model as a mercenary but if you promote him to swordmaster he's the same dual sword samurai that the others are. :argh:

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Every character wants one movement art, just whichever is easiest for them to pick up. Shovechaining is real and good

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Even in three houses, i think there's like... seven color schemes scattered across the cast. There's black, red, green, blue, purple, brown... and probably one more i forget.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Empire is red/white and red/black. Kingdom is two shades of blue. Alliance is yellow. Almyra is green. Church is white. TWSITD are pure black as are rogues and all that. Ashen Wolves are white-grey/purple. Resistance Army is black and pink. Those are roughly the main color schemes that everyone follows for generic classes. Barring something insane like Constance's.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Also Byleth is dark grey

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Sylvain is black despite being Lions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Oberndorf posted:

Sylvain is black despite being Lions.

And Marianne is blue despite being Alliance (coincidentally or not, she's the one Empire or Alliance woman who can marry Dimitri).

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Annette is also black and Mercedes is white.

The colors come from the unit’s color palette, not their faction.

(With the exception of generic units of course.)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

McTimmy posted:

Empire is red/white and red/black. Kingdom is two shades of blue. Alliance is yellow. Almyra is green. Church is white. TWSITD are pure black as are rogues and all that. Ashen Wolves are white-grey/purple. Resistance Army is black and pink. Those are roughly the main color schemes that everyone follows for generic classes. Barring something insane like Constance's.
Yeah people kinda said this already but the recruitable units do not follow their faction for colours with any kind of pattern. Here's the number of black eagles who have a red palette: 3.

wait actually is it 4? regardless at least half of them aren't red, and the same's true for the other houses. including the wolves, where for example hapi has a green palette. for some reason.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 7, 2020

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Ahhh the terribleness of my typing situation for the moment. I meant to say that everyone typiclly followed those color schemes as a whole, not that they were locked to them based on what faction they belonged to.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
That patch that added the option to keep people in their good looking custom outfits instead of the generic ones when outside their "canon" class was a lifesaver. The generic class outfits are so bad. And not only are they bad half don't even make sense in-universe. Just random kimonos and roman gladiators despite the setting not having a notjapan or notrome.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

galagazombie posted:

That patch that added the option to keep people in their good looking custom outfits instead of the generic ones when outside their "canon" class was a lifesaver. The generic class outfits are so bad. And not only are they bad half don't even make sense in-universe. Just random kimonos and roman gladiators despite the setting not having a notjapan or notrome.

Armor lord gremory Edelgard is glorious.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

hopeandjoy posted:

Annette is also black and Mercedes is white.

The colors come from the unit’s color palette, not their faction.

(With the exception of generic units of course.)

Yeah, that's why the Golden Deers look like a rainbow.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The Golden Deers are a sentai team and it is glorious.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

galagazombie posted:

I only wished it was fully extended to mounted units (some characters have it, but others don't), because the Wyvern Lord's atrociously dumb skirt armor just stands out like an eyesore and I would love to get rid of it in some fashion.

Hellioning posted:

The Golden Deers are a sentai team and it is glorious.
All they need is a theme song to complete the package, and it'd be glorious.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

AradoBalanga posted:

I only wished it was fully extended to mounted units (some characters have it, but others don't), because the Wyvern Lord's atrociously dumb skirt armor just stands out like an eyesore and I would love to get rid of it in some fashion.

hosed up that Seteth gets a generic outfit once he becomes a Wyvern Lord.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

hosed up that Seteth gets a generic outfit once he becomes a Wyvern Lord.
Same goes for Cyril and Petra (if you take her down the Wyvern Rider path). Ingrid's even weirder; her timeskip outfit fits Pegasus Knight (as you'd expect)...and Cavalier. Not Paladin or Falcoknight, as one would imagine, but Cavalier. What?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Balthus is basically Van Wilder if you think about it

I just finished the DLC not too long ago and I liked it! more class options are always great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I just hit Credits on my first run of the game, played Golden Deer, what a wonderful game, a nice satisfying experience with wonderful characters. I love a nice traditional happy ending. I love Claude. seeing my students post campaign lives and romances and the ending gave me a nice needed smile :unsmith:

This was one of the rare games to completely grip me and even rarer keep me interested to finish it for its massively long campaign. I will say though, I definitely wish the game was a teeny bit shorter, it was definitely becoming a chore to work through the months and grind in the last 25% of the game.

I will probably take a break for a few months and play some other games before doing the Black Eagles Edeglard run, is it worth it? does it supply a vastly different mission structure or experience? or is it the same missions but with swapped characters?

Also, does it allow me to use New Game Plus to start a new campaign with a different faction? or do I have to start from zero.

Also, should I bother getting the new DLC 'Shadow wolves' campaign? is it worth it?

One thing that was bothersome throughout the game was at some point getting cooking ingredients became super scarce, and I almost never ran into Umbral Steel or Mythril, which made unlocking special weapons and maintaining the ones I had a nightmare, is there something I'm missing? I did side missions and stuff but I only could ever repair a special weapon once or twice in the whole game.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 21, 2020