Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

BioThermo posted:

As an avid fan of fromsoft games and of people complaining about bosses in SA threads shortly before beating them, let me just say:

We're in the waning days of TBD, I've opened full playsets of 3/5 of the temples, Atris, Tymaret calls, Set Champ, Iroan games, and evern garbage poo poo that no one will ever play like Purph's intervention.

I'm at 3/4 of a lot of good cards like ECD and Trawler.

But I have not opened a single copy of Shatter the Skies. gently caress you randomizer, I will beat your rear end before Covid takes Maro's entire family off this mortal coil.

thank you

incredible that you managed to get all those cards yet somehow managed to get 0 wildcards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Lol at the Esper control playing only 3 five mana teferis and a single Dream trawler as win cons with no counter spells in historic.

Field of the dead does not care about your wraths.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

Which one of you nerds is SA_Viking

It's more likely that you won/lost from a South African white nationalist.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

kanonvandekempen posted:

It's more likely that you won/lost from a South African white nationalist.

I kicked their rear end so good

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

love 2 simic flash

http://mythicspoiler.com/iko/cards/cunningnightbonder.html

Cunning Nightbonder
[U/B][U/B]
Creature - Human Rogue
Flash

Spells you cast with flash cost 1 less to cast and can't be countered.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BioThermo posted:

As an avid fan of fromsoft games and of people complaining about bosses in SA threads shortly before beating them, let me just say:

We're in the waning days of TBD, I've opened full playsets of 3/5 of the temples, Atris, Tymaret calls, Set Champ, Iroan games, and evern garbage poo poo that no one will ever play like Purph's intervention.

I'm at 3/4 of a lot of good cards like ECD and Trawler.

But I have not opened a single copy of Shatter the Skies. gently caress you randomizer, I will beat your rear end before Covid takes Maro's entire family off this mortal coil.

thank you

I'll trade you my playset for all the other ones you mentioned

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Look Around You posted:

love 2 simic flash

http://mythicspoiler.com/iko/cards/cunningnightbonder.html

Cunning Nightbonder
[U/B][U/B]
Creature - Human Rogue
Flash

Spells you cast with flash cost 1 less to cast and can't be countered.
That's messed up.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Flash decks are getting a lot of goodies in this set and that annoys me because playing against Flash is really loving annoying

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/ChannelFireball/status/1246933671245996032

This tourney series that's been going on Channel Fireball's twitch basically 24/7 has been really interesting and the meta has continually evolved from it week to week.

It's going to be really loving cool next week when Ikoria releases on Thursday and there's a big tourney with qualifiers the next week. So keep an eye on that, should see some interesting decks!

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/bmkibler/status/1247190331969294338

I'm sorry I just thought this was hilarious

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Turns out cube will separate me from my money even with a terrible expected payout scheme.

Glad the team is gettin' a little more creative.

Also thanks for the heads-up on the other silly-deck mode. I'm not generally interested if its coins for (the bad computer-generated) cosmetics, but if it's free to enter I'm down for spicin' things up.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
What the hell is all this Cube business? Is it like Time Cube? Is it like Cube 2: Hypercube?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you, like me, are bored of spamming Rakdos Sacrifice here's Temur Fires which looks cool

https://twitter.com/Cardarelli39V/status/1246944661073268752?s=20

and here's a loving SICK G/W shell have fun tuning this nerds

https://twitter.com/BrewerCoutinho/status/1246151660516388866?s=20

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Zero VGS posted:

What the hell is all this Cube business? Is it like Time Cube? Is it like Cube 2: Hypercube?

in mtg, a cube is where people make a curated set of a lot of cards (at least 360 but can go over double that) and then you make 'packs' out of them to draft from. cubes can be a ton of different things and are usually made by people with big collections to get replay value out of cards that'd otherwise be lying around, and drafting a cube generally implies a bunch of oddball cards or an overall theme.

the cube currently on arena has these 555 cards: https://scryfall.com/cubes/arena

note that this cube event is a phantom event (terminology borrowed from mtgo) meaning that any cards you draft you don't keep. this is because on mtgo people would want to gently caress around with drafting sets with classically expensive cards and on mtgo cards actually have prices somewhat analogous to their paper versions so the events would have to be ridiculously expensive to balance it out

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Cube event is good

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted:

and here's a loving SICK G/W shell have fun tuning this nerds

https://twitter.com/BrewerCoutinho/status/1246151660516388866?s=20

Nice. I've been trying to make gw tokens work on and off for six months so it'll be interesting to try this

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am still mostly playing brawl, and I just had an amazing token tribal vs. token tribal match.

I won because my tokens can fly, and his couldn't. He actually survived this round due to lifegain, but couldn't turn the game around.

Playing this game offline would have been a fate worse then death.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

would it be too much to ask for literally any indication in the UI as to a) what a haversack of favor is and b) what it actually gave you after it's been opened

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
New battlepass has been announced. Rewards seem even further reduced from the last one.

I'll skip this one i think

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

kanonvandekempen posted:

New battlepass has been announced.

where?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

kanonvandekempen posted:

New battlepass has been announced. Rewards seem even further reduced from the last one.

I'll skip this one i think

quick gist is: 1000 fewer gems on the paid track, 15 less booster packs on the free track, which was already a significant step down from Eldraine

edit: basically a hidden $10 upcharge on the paid track since you can't earn it back and 40% fewer packs if you stick to the free track

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/ikoria-lair-behemoths-mastery-system-2020-04-06

For comparison, the Theros Mastery: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/theros-beyond-death-mastery-system-2020-01-15

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
E: :argh:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/ikoria-lair-behemoths-mastery-system-2020-04-06

Yeah, doesn’t really seem worth it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

To be fair, with everyone working from home those gems are a lot harder to make now.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Cube is fun, someone killed me on like turn 5 by accelerating out an Ilharg, who brought out a Ghalta who they then added an Embercleave to

I've never been more delighted to be killed without warning.

It's too bad the pay structure is really crummy, given you don't really get any cards from it it just doesn't seem worth it to me. Also, why not a draft format? I guess too early to do a person draft and too much work to do a bot draft, huh.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
so i started actively playing this like three days ago and in this time the game barfed a crapload of w/g enchantment-matters pieces at me* so i was like "okay jesus i'll throw some jank together"

please tell me how to improve this absolute pile of jank (important i only have one rare and 0 MR wildcards)

*two calixes, two setessan champions, three daxoses (it could have been five if i'd drafted differently), and two destiny spinners

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Hauki posted:

quick gist is: 1000 fewer gems on the paid track, 15 less booster packs on the free track, which was already a significant step down from Eldraine

edit: basically a hidden $10 upcharge on the paid track since you can't earn it back and 40% fewer packs if you stick to the free track

Eldraine was the in-season set for like 4 months Sep 26-Jan 24

Ikoria is in-season for 2.5? Apr 16 - July 3

But yeah if it costs the same 3400 gems like Theros did.... I think the EV is still there but it's very minor. I had the EV of Theros at 4750 gems which is more than worth it, but Ikoria would be a much thinner payout.

This is how I valued Theros

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

Eldraine was the in-season set for like 4 months Sep 26-Jan 24

Ikoria is in-season for 2.5? Apr 16 - July 3

But yeah if it costs the same 3400 gems like Theros did.... I think the EV is still there but it's very minor. I had the EV of Theros at 4750 gems which is more than worth it, but Ikoria would be a much thinner payout.

This is how I valued Theros

sure, so knock 1000 gems off that and you get a positive EV of 350 gems if you hit 90 in a significantly shorter period of time I guess

VVV - oh right, I forgot that, so down to a net of 150 "gem value" if you cap out the track at 80?

Hauki fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 6, 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It caps out at 80 this time. They should probably just make it cost less since it's a shorter period.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Hauki posted:

sure, so knock 1000 gems off that and you get a positive EV of 350 gems if you hit 90 in a significantly shorter period of time I guess

You can decide to buy the pass 1 day before Core 21 comes out, and 350 free gems is 350 free gems. I'd rather have more, but I don't really get a choice in the matter.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

President Ark posted:

so i started actively playing this like three days ago and in this time the game barfed a crapload of w/g enchantment-matters pieces at me* so i was like "okay jesus i'll throw some jank together"

please tell me how to improve this absolute pile of jank (important i only have one rare and 0 MR wildcards)

*two calixes, two setessan champions, three daxoses (it could have been five if i'd drafted differently), and two destiny spinners

it's a little difficult to say how to improve this without knowing what else is in your collection since you don't have wildcards and some of these cards are real head-scratchers.

in general you want 4x of your cards since you're looking to execute a game plan consistently

candlelight vigil is nothing, cut it.

you want heliod's pilgrim if your deck is built around auras i suppose.

at a loose glance you probably want more creatures. why not transcendent envoy over senate griffin?

siona, captain of the pyleas would be okay enough here. edit: oh you already have her. have more of her.

kaya is really way too expensive for what you're doing with her i think. just run more warbriars or pacifism if you need removal.

i think in general you want to lean into season of growth, transcendant envoy, siona and/or pilgrim. build your deck around those.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With all that said, is it "worth it" to get the mastery pass for Theros if I'm level 80 now? I'm probably not gonna hit 90 before ikoria drops.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Clowner posted:

With all that said, is it "worth it" to get the mastery pass for Theros if I'm level 80 now? I'm probably not gonna hit 90 before ikoria drops.

Here's a link to my spreadsheet. Make a copy, plug in what you feel each item in the Pass is worth, and base your decision on what you'll get.

edit: I base my decisions on progress towards draft, so I count boosters as just the value of getting gems in the rare slot.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Wow, them setting the level cap down to 80 is super disappointing, especially given that I'm mostly complete on uncommons now.

I'm already over 100 in Theros.

If they don't make it cheaper... well i'll probably get it anyway because skinner box, but

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I thought this one sucked but I got a few free wins because the quality of play in Silver is not great
https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1247274234533089280

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It seems pretty dumb for them to be so stingy with the mastery pass, and risk people deciding it's not worth it, since half the point initially was that they wanted people to buy it so they'd have an additional incentive to play every day and get tempted to spend money. It was always going to stop being quite as generous as it started, but the steep decline here is ridiculous.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I went from it being an auto-slam to probably skipping, which is a shame because I did enjoy getting all the loot.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Somberbrero posted:

it's a little difficult to say how to improve this without knowing what else is in your collection since you don't have wildcards and some of these cards are real head-scratchers.

in general you want 4x of your cards since you're looking to execute a game plan consistently

candlelight vigil is nothing, cut it.

you want heliod's pilgrim if your deck is built around auras i suppose.

at a loose glance you probably want more creatures. why not transcendent envoy over senate griffin?

siona, captain of the pyleas would be okay enough here. edit: oh you already have her. have more of her.

kaya is really way too expensive for what you're doing with her i think. just run more warbriars or pacifism if you need removal.

i think in general you want to lean into season of growth, transcendant envoy, siona and/or pilgrim. build your deck around those.

yeah, it's cool, mostly i was looking for the names of cards to look out for, every time i open up the crafting menu and see three thousand cards i go crosseyed

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I suspect they're still doing the figure-out-how-stingy-they-can-be-with-rewards thing - people still bought Theros even though it was a step down, so now they're pushing it even more and seeing if people still buy it.

If enough people give it a miss, presumably the next one will be a little more generous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Anyone else not impressed by mutate so far?