Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Unless otherwise indicated, I assume that person's language list is ordered by either competence or preference. In either case, if you don't know the basics of the language you are presenting as being your best, then you are exxxtremely junior in the best case, or just a liar. Neither of which is a trait I want to be hiring for :v:

Obv. it is fine not to know some things, e.g. answering question about dynamic_cast with "idk details, I write in domain that does not use it" is fine. Blanking on all of "how does #include work", "what is dynamic_cast" and "what if wrong number of args to variadic function" is not fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

Looks like I'm back on the job hunt thanks to virus induced layoffs. Looking forward to possibly finding a new personal best for dumbshit interviews.

about that, would like some opinions from more experienced people on what are the chances of landing a decent job with things as they are, since structurally speaking poo poo has gone downhill and as such this might be lmao irrelevant

still, as socrates played the aria, this famished worker must try to conquer his bread, so: what stuff is in high demand that would be helpful to get a position?

ty in advance :)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I picture three buckets:
1. companies that are totally hosed (e.g. tourism-adjacent companies) that will block any new hires
2. companies that are not really directly affected but are still a bit skittish, that might still fill existing openings but not publish new openings
3. companies that are still going quite well and whose hiring plans aren’t affected

ultimately any added difficulty of finding a job depends on how companies end up distributed into these three buckets

for example I got hired in the depths of the great recession at a bucket 3 company: they did work for cellular carriers doing network planning, and business was booming due to the LTE rollout at the time

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

I picture three buckets:
1. companies that are totally hosed (e.g. tourism-adjacent companies) that will block any new hires
2. companies that are not really directly affected but are still a bit skittish, that might still fill existing openings but not publish new openings
3. companies that are still going quite well and whose hiring plans aren’t affected

ultimately any added difficulty of finding a job depends on how companies end up distributed into these three buckets

for example I got hired in the depths of the great recession at a bucket 3 company: they did work for cellular carriers doing network planning, and business was booming due to the LTE rollout at the time

I think there's a huge spectrum between 1 and 2. For instance my company is owned by a company that puts products on retail shelves. Right now those retail stores are shuttered for being non-essential. If they have to pay 2 months rent and utilities without income they're gone. If they're gone the parent company will take a big hit as it tries to find alternative channels. So despite being a tech company and not directly being affected we're well aware of what the future could bring.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah the knock-on effects that are going to ripple through the entire economy can't be understated. there's tons of 1.5 companies out there that have frozen all hiring and are already pre-emptively furloughing/laying off employees. we're a database company and have already furloughed 10% of the company and are slashing executive pay & bonuses. this is because we know that in order for us to grow our customers have to be willing to make long term investments- and it's going to be a while until everyone feels comfortable enough to start doing that again. everyone is focused on surviving the next three/six months

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we are getting precisely the normal amount inbound as we usually get. real creepy, no increases, no decreases

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

we're travel adjacent and all our customers are completely hosed. we've stopped hiring, luckily we have enough cash to last a year with no layoffs, but things look grim for the future if the downturn is as bad as it looks like it is going to be.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
i'm in telco land, some customers have doubled their spend and others have already folded. time will tell how that balances out.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

just an update for those who cared, i passed to the next step despite my failure at answering c++ questions! now they are checking my references which i hear is a good sign

i guess the first 95% of the interview was enough to convince them i know how to code, and they were able to treat my dumbness as a fluke. never again i'll put c++ first on my list of abilities. i'll stick with c# and javascript, thanks

e: just so we're clear, c++ was not a specific requirement for that position. the offer litterally said "experience with one of the following: js, c++, c#, python"

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
nice

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Xarn posted:

Obv. it is fine not to know some things, e.g. answering question about dynamic_cast with "idk details, I write in domain that does not use it" is fine. Blanking on all of "how does #include work", "what is dynamic_cast" and "what if wrong number of args to variadic function" is not fine.

Just so I'm clear here the answer to the last thing is "undefined behaviour" right? B/C while I'm primarily a C toucher I do a fair bit of C++ and that's what I'd say.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Private Speech posted:

Just so I'm clear here the answer to the last thing is "undefined behaviour" right? B/C while I'm primarily a C toucher I do a fair bit of C++ and that's what I'd say.

i'd guess so. in practice i guess it'll grab some junk from the unused part of the stack, but in actual real practice your compiler will complain.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i'd guess so. in practice i guess it'll grab some junk from the unused part of the stack, but in actual real practice your compiler will complain.

my answer was "that will lead to a warning from the compiler", to which they asked but what if you ignore the warning, to which I didn't have a great answer.

the real answer is indeed the function outputs garbage, whatever is in your stack.

tbh now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I actually used printf aside from academic exercises or debugging.

any program that you actually need to write in c will be so low-level that you probably won't be using printf, and if you're doing some command line stuff well why the gently caress are you writing it in c

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
it might ‘output’ ‘garbage’ but there are worse failure modes than that. what if it’s a %s instead of a %d

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

it might ‘output’ ‘garbage’ but there are worse failure modes than that. what if it’s a %s instead of a %d

it'll print forever until released by sweet null death?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

go play outside Skyler posted:

my answer was "that will lead to a warning from the compiler", to which they asked but what if you ignore the warning, to which I didn't have a great answer.

the real answer is indeed the function outputs garbage, whatever is in your stack.

I'd say that's a pretty poo poo interview question if that's the required answer tbh

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

it'll print forever until released by sweet null death?
no. well, it might, but i had a worse failure mode in mind

memory access can fail. have you worked on a system where accessing memory willy-nilly would cause a segfault or data abort?

idk this feels like a digression if they weren't after this level of answer, sorry

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

no. well, it might, but i had a worse failure mode in mind

memory access can fail. have you worked on a system where accessing memory willy-nilly would cause a segfault or data abort?

idk this feels like a digression if they weren't after this level of answer, sorry

well yeah, a segfault seems like the most likely outcome of such a thing i guess.

don't be sorry, i think it's an interesting conversation.

e: me stupid

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 31, 2020

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it helps to think about how the args get to printf. it expects eg 3 args on the stack. there are eg only two. so it pops 3 things and prints them. this can reveal sensitive things. because there's general stack fuckery there's a potential for control flow alteration, though afaik it's not generally an attack vector for RCE. but this sort of mistake can lead into a conversation about format string bugs so that's always fun

the thing they wanted to uncover was that you know how arguments are passed to functions, variadic or otherwise. it'd probably be ok to be all "uhh well I feel like it should be on the stack but maybe printf uses registers on x64, I forget" or whatever. it's trying to see if you understand what's going on at that level, and if you don't, if you can apply what you know to reason it out.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
args aren't normally passed on the stack on any widely-used architecture any more now that 32-bit x86 is essentially dead

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

fair, my knowledge comes from lovely CTF type puzzles and owning old and busted systems

glad I put the poo poo about x64 and registers, at least makes me feel slightly less goofy. I wasn't sure if variadic functions would still use the stack there or read rcx rdx r8 thereby leaking r8? which wouldn't alter control flow in any way that I know of but maybe I'm wrong there too

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

my answer was "that will lead to a warning from the compiler"

congratulations, you are hired

Sapozhnik posted:

args aren't normally passed on the stack on any widely-used architecture any more now that 32-bit x86 is essentially dead

Only for trivial types. This is a real problem for things like unique_ptr, which could in theory be passed in registers, but in practice are not.

https://godbolt.org/z/M2s7hv

e:
and varargs obviously still use stack as well

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
i blew it with amazon and it fuckin sucks :(

i thought i did okay but i had such an egregious freeze up (nerves ate me alive) at one point that i figured it was curtains for me after that and i turned out to be right

and now it looks like we are not really in the same job market we were a month ago

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 2, 2020

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Mirthless posted:

i blew it with amazon and it fuckin sucks :(

i thought i did okay but i had such an egregious freeze up (nerves ate me alive) at one point that i figured it was curtains for me after that and i turned out to be right

and now it looks like we are not really in the same job market we were a month ago
I think the bigger firms are all still good during this and would keep hiring. They kept huge cash reserves for exactly this purpose.

Heck, some might even have stronger businesses because of all the behavior shifting towards tech we've been forced into.

So just cause Amazon overlooked you doesn't mean you don't still have a chance with a bunch of others.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
amazon sucks anyway and would have probably laid you off 1 month before your 4th year vesting

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I blew it with Amazon too, got notice less than 24 hours after a second interview with a bunch of needling on power engineering minutiae that take like 30 seconds to look up but I don't know off the top of my head

Good riddance

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Yeah big firms are fine for now, it'll take a total seize up in credit and liquidity to stop them hiring. Not completely impossible honestly depending on how this affects the markets, but right now things seem to be humming along still.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

with how insanely leveraged everyone was before this broke out i don’t think it will take long. the knock on effects from our massive surge in unemployment is definitely going to start killing companies / banks off in a few months. the fed QE program may keep it limping along though. who knows.

i’m not optimistic that we’re under competent leadership

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Back when I was doing tech support at Apple, the 2008 financial crisis hit and during an all-hands with some VP who had come into town reassured us by saying “look, we have enough cash on hand that we can have literally zero revenue for three years and still be able to pay for everything”. And sure enough, we rode everything out just fine.

I did the same math with my current employer’s cash reserves-vs-operating expenses and it looks like we could do exactly one year with absolutely zero revenue, which would probably feel more reassuring if I didn’t have that previous experience where the reserves were even better.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

Back when I was doing tech support at Apple, the 2008 financial crisis hit and during an all-hands with some VP who had come into town reassured us by saying “look, we have enough cash on hand that we can have literally zero revenue for three years and still be able to pay for everything”. And sure enough, we rode everything out just fine.

I did the same math with my current employer’s cash reserves-vs-operating expenses and it looks like we could do exactly one year with absolutely zero revenue, which would probably feel more reassuring if I didn’t have that previous experience where the reserves were even better.

we have enough cash for like 4 years with negative revenue, that didn't stop the owner going on a gleeful rant about how bad the job market was now.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

when the financial crisis hit my bosses at lehman brothers informed me that we had enough cash for decades and decades.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

when the financial crisis hit my bosses at lehman brothers informed me that we had enough cash for decades and decades.

lol

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

To be fair he did. And he made more of it off of the crisis.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Hughlander posted:

To be fair he did. And he made more of it off of the crisis.

as did i, got a gigantic raise and not a day of unemployment. make no mistake about how the suffering was distributed in the world.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I took a bank contract job on a whim starting in may of 2008, basically skated through the whole thing including getting converted to full time, my project was safe because it was foreign exchange related and they were making craploads of money during the crisis, even when my employer bought another bank it didn't touch anything I was working on

it's generally better to be lucky than good

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I started a new job at an energy consulting firm in 2007. I was employee number 30, their first IT person ever, and worked in a small church basement with 20 other people or so.

Then the economy crashed, and everyone scrambled to save money and a big way to do that in the relatively inefficient times of 2008 was to save on energy costs.

When I left there in 2014 there were more than a thousand employees spread across the country in 26 offices, 25 of which I opened.

I was thoroughly burnt out on it, but it was a crazy wild ride that I just lucked into.

This time around? I was already unemployed before the pandemic. Owned.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I was getting a phd during the crash. I got out in 2014 when everything was mostly better and started touching computers for money

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
yah I left my previous employer and started a new gig just last week. big tech firms are still hiring, or at least honoring existing offers if they’re not posting brand new stuff. my offer was made/signed around the end of feb after interviewing a couple times in jan.

the “new job opening alert” emails i set up on LinkedIn, indeed, etc seem to be drying up right now, so it seems like there are fewer new openings getting posted than a month or two ago, but from what i can tell a lot of tech hasn’t really felt the effects of the downturn yet. given the rush to automation and remote work there are probably a lot of companies doing quite well right now since they’re effectively selling pickaxes in a gold rush

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Talked to a company about an Android role, turns out they only do Kotlin, I have only done Java. The fact that big parts of my career were learning whatever language I needed to fix up or finish a project is not something they will even consider. Disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

kdrudy posted:

Talked to a company about an Android role, turns out they only do Kotlin, I have only done Java. The fact that big parts of my career were learning whatever language I needed to fix up or finish a project is not something they will even consider. Disappointing.

this comes up all the time itt. you dodged a bullet. if they need someone who can start working on things with no guidance or ramping time it's probably because the place is a dumpster fire where you'd have gotten no support but all of the blame