Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Glare Seethe posted:

I think I remember this puzzle! Specifically, I remember looking up the solution because I'd had enough. :negative: If I remember correctly the solution is super long and complicated. I couldn't bring myself to do the post-game. Think overall I like Cosmic Express and Sokobond better than Snowman.

This is about as far as I can get on my own, and if I don't have a breakthrough soon I might have to look it up, sigh.

I should pick up Cosmic Express and Sokobond, hmm.

e: looked up a guide and the first thing he did was something I hadn't thought of, and I solved it with that. Success!!

e2: oh god that postgame. no. too complex for me. Game complete, glad I played it, I rec it to others for being super charming and fun.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Cardiovorax posted:

Done it twice already, no you don't. You don't get to access the trove and your store discount while paused, though, so you may as well do it on the literal last day.

I pay monthly, though, so you should check if this actually pushes your due date back a month.

Fallom posted:

Pausing does not terminate the Classic plan. You can find that statement on the transition FAQ they put out.

Thanks

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cowcaster posted:

it's pretty crummy but it is free so it's got that going for it at least. gachapon mechanics, money traps, and a power creep curve so violent it's criminal ahoy though. if for whatever reason you do end up pulling the trigger on it just to check it out, never use real money currency (which the game throws a bunch at you when you're starting out to get you hooked) for anything besides expanding your stash. the game will beg you for fifty cents each time your character dies and it's absolutely the worst way to spend real world money on the game since all your characters get obsoleted as you climb the tower anyway, and if you want your inventory full of blueprints back you can just pay a pittance of in game cash for that

I always thought Dark Souls had too many gotcha mechanics, but this is ridiculous!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IMPRESSIONS OF SPIN RHYTHM IT LOOKS AMAZING AND APPARENTLY ALSO HAS CUSTOM TRACKS???

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also while it has a lot of dark souls dna in its (extremely, extremely shallow) combat system, there's also a surprising amount of monster hunter in there as well, in the sense that the core gameplay loop getting you to progress to higher floors is collecting 85 pieces of metal butts to upgrade your stink spear to a +4 stink spear which lets you beat the next 10 floors where you need to collect 300 HOT metal butts to upgrade your +4 stink spear to a +4 HOT stink spear but your storage space and the crafting time on all these things are gated behind real world money cash grabs too

Orv
May 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I always thought Dark Souls had too many gotcha mechanics, but this is ridiculous!

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The best part of Let It Die is Uncle Death.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It sucks that Dragons Dogma 2 doesn't exist yet.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Party Boat posted:

The best part of Let It Die is Uncle Death.

yeah it's a shame because the style and tone is all pure uncut suda and great, it's just the actual game part of the game is the very absolute last scrapings of the bottom of the barrel free to play crap. just watch all the cutscenes on youtube and save yourself the trouble

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

AC with guns is pretty much The Saboteur, god I'm so upset that we'll probably never get a sequel.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1247163040664977412

e: wait poo poo epic games store sorry thread, we'll have to wait a year

I loved it 10 years ago but tried to replay it last year and it’s aged terribly. lol that they’re milking epic again.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Glare Seethe posted:

I think I remember this puzzle! Specifically, I remember looking up the solution because I'd had enough. :negative: If I remember correctly the solution is super long and complicated. I couldn't bring myself to do the post-game. Think overall I like Cosmic Express and Sokobond better than Snowman.

Ever play Stephen's Sausage Roll? Great game but good god

edit: by which I mean it's loving hard. Extremely clever puzzle mechanics though and one of my favorite games

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

stress brain: buy the season pass for asscreed odyssey

me: that's twenty bucks and i won't get to the content for literally dozens of hours

stress brain: yes and?

*violently throws self out of the uplay store, because goddamnit, this stuff will go on sale in the future when I am closer to caring about atlantis*

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

StrixNebulosa posted:

stress brain: buy the season pass for asscreed odyssey

me: that's twenty bucks and i won't get to the content for literally dozens of hours

stress brain: yes and?

*violently throws self out of the uplay store, because goddamnit, this stuff will go on sale in the future when I am closer to caring about atlantis*

Stay strong. We can resist the temptation when there's so much goddamn game already.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The original idea for AC3 sounds like it could have been amazing. It's really obvious that what we got happened because someone at Ubisoft realized that what the story was originally leading to would end the moneyhose.

Orv posted:

The fact that Shaun never turned out to be a Templar spy is basically the only surprising bit of storytelling Assassin's Creed has ever done. And I like the dumb Templar/Assassin bullshit but god knows it's never terribly original.

It's always fun to think that they had to hamhandedly retcon Kristen Bell into being a templar spy and killed off because she was too busy being in Frozen to care about rear end Creed anymore

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 6, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

goferchan posted:

Ever play Stephen's Sausage Roll? Great game but good god

edit: by which I mean it's loving hard. Extremely clever puzzle mechanics though and one of my favorite games

I haven't, SSR's notorious difficulty has scared me off a bit (and I also bounced off English Country Tune). I sort of just assume I won't be able to beat it and that's discouraging enough to make me not even want to start. That's a bad way to engage with a game, of course, or any endeavor at all really, which certainly explains a lot about my life.

Fortunately I'm feeling all right about my progress in The Witness!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

It's always fun to think that they had to hamhandedly retcon Kristen Bell into being a templar spy and killed off because she was too busy being in Frozen to care about rear end Creed anymore

oh my god this makes so much sense

on the other hand i liked how shaun never turned out to be a templar. he's just an rear end in a top hat. templars don't have the patent on being assholes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RBA Starblade posted:

This explains so much about how stupid and nonsensical that twist was.

e: oh hey, Cowcaster has me beat again.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Someone reminded me of the existence of Hitman's 2 expansion pass where a level is infiltrating a bank, and bank levels are always the best stuff in any game ever released. My evidence for this is that Deus Ex Human Revolution had you infiltrating a bank and it was the best part of that game. Thief 2 (the best Thief game) had you infiltrate a bank. GTA and Red Dead both have bank heisting and those were fun.

Payday 2 was nothing but heisting but that game has so much content and arcane mechanics I'm sure it's loving impossible to get into at this point and they'll just kick you out of lobbies unless you're a god-tier billionaire ultra-ninja.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Pierson posted:

Someone reminded me of the existence of Hitman's 2 expansion pass where a level is infiltrating a bank, and bank levels are always the best stuff in any game ever released. My evidence for this is that Deus Ex Human Revolution had you infiltrating a bank and it was the best part of that game. Thief 2 (the best Thief game) had you infiltrate a bank. GTA and Red Dead both have bank heisting and those were fun.

Payday 2 was nothing but heisting but that game has so much content and arcane mechanics I'm sure it's loving impossible to get into at this point and they'll just kick you out of lobbies unless you're a god-tier billionaire ultra-ninja.

The feature bloat and rebalancing history of Payday 2 is truly insane. I was a hardcore player for years and I’d have no idea how to get back into it these days. It’s a shame that so much of that was due to Overkill imploding; I would have loved to see them take another crack at the concepts introduced in Payday 2 with a clean slate and a higher budget.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Anonymous Robot posted:

The feature bloat and rebalancing history of Payday 2 is truly insane. I was a hardcore player for years and I’d have no idea how to get back into it these days. It’s a shame that so much of that was due to Overkill imploding; I would have loved to see them take another crack at the concepts introduced in Payday 2 with a clean slate and a higher budget.

haha same, up until recently it was my most played game. I played tons for the first two years but haven't touched it since. Early days was fun as hell. Not sure where I'd step in now if I tried to reinstall.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Pierson posted:

bank levels are always the best stuff in any game ever released.

I like hotels and high society galas better in these games, but it's close. I'd put bank levels on the same tier as museum levels.

I do have a vague memory of breaking into a vault in Dark Forces and that being my favorite level in that game except I'll never be able to revisit it because I've never been able to get past the sewers when I try replaying it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Anonymous Robot posted:

Oh yeah I sunk 80+ hours into Payday 2 over the first couple of years and even back then it was getting more and more complex when they started introducing more classes and perk decks and prestiging. Stealing in videogames is just inherently fun and Payday 2 had tons of different stuff to steal and some very cool maps to do it in. I keep thinking about jumping back in when I remember good times about managing to stealth through a bank heist or pulling 12+ bags of meth out of that awful house, but then I remember the insane jank of it and how crazy the guns and DLC and power creep got and shake my head.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Tom Francis’s (Gunpoint, Heat Signature) next game continues to look very good. Anyone here get into the recent round of testing?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
We have several chill goons still playing payday 2 a few nights a week and if they don’t mind carrying my never learned good builds or how to stealth dumbass then I bet they wouldn’t mind some new comers. If you check the thread there’s a discord link.

Deakul posted:

AC with guns is pretty much The Saboteur, god I'm so upset that we'll probably never get a sequel.

I’m now imagining mechas with ridiculous weapon loadouts fighting in occupied France

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Anno posted:

Tom Francis’s (Gunpoint, Heat Signature) next game continues to look very good. Anyone here get into the recent round of testing?

i got the email but clicked too late. I really want this.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
So speaking of puzzle games and specifically Electron Dance (the channel that made that Witness video posted above), anybody interested in puzzle game design and/or the process of learning to solve them should absolutely go read the Ouroboros Sequence.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Anno posted:

I think Traffic Warlock is all I needed to be sold on this game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hey i just noticed that there's a free version of synthetik of just randomly generated arenas on steam, would it be a good demo to see if i'd like synthetik or is the base gameplay different enough that it wouldn't give me an accurate picture?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cowcaster posted:

hey i just noticed that there's a free version of synthetik of just randomly generated arenas on steam, would it be a good demo to see if i'd like synthetik or is the base gameplay different enough that it wouldn't give me an accurate picture?
I can't tell the regular levels of Synthetik from procedurally generated ones even if you asked me to, design-wise, so for all practical purposes it should be close enough.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Roluth posted:

I think Traffic Warlock is all I needed to be sold on this game.

https://twitter.com/BreachWizards/status/1220485803094069248

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cardiovorax posted:

I can't tell the regular levels of Synthetik from procedurally generated ones even if you asked me to, design-wise, so for all practical purposes it should be close enough.

update: steam just crashes when i try to play it so if it's indicative of the kind of gameplay i'd get out of the full game it sucks!!!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wishlisted.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

update: steam just crashes when i try to play it so if it's indicative of the kind of gameplay i'd get out of the full game it sucks!!!

double update: my steam in general just seems to having a time of it at the moment, is there still a clientregistry.blob or something i should delete to clear out the pipes?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I found synthetik arena much less interesting than the real game for what it’s worth, as it’s pretty static and progression is less engaging than what you see over the course of a normal synthetik run, but it’ll let you see how the game controls/feels so it sort of works as a demo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Anno posted:

Yeah, it's amazing. Everything is so crunchy, the writing is hilarious and the puzzles are simple but satisfying. Definitely one to wishlist.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Anyone played Druidstone? It's on sale and it's been on my wishlist a while but don't want to be suckered in by another pretty face.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sloppy posted:

Anyone played Druidstone? It's on sale and it's been on my wishlist a while but don't want to be suckered in by another pretty face.

It's not bad, but it's a little short and simplistic so a disappointment coming off of Grimrock 2. Probably a good buy for that price though

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hmmm. Reinstalled AssCreed Origins because I never did actually poke its discovery tour feature and whoa, good stuff.

Then I figured why not and resumed the main game a bit and killed the Lizard:

And while it's definitely a bit clunkier than Odyssey, it's a joy to play and I'm kind of tempted to see if I can't polish off the main quest at least - I didn't realize how close I am. According to the internet I have one more target, and roughly 11 main quests left (including the final target) so it's not a huge ask if I can avoid being sidetracked.

No promises, no guarantees. I also spent an hour fishing in Far Cry 5 so I am very easily distracted. But it would be nice to "finish" one of these games. (As well as see the DLC I paid for!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, it's amazing. Everything is so crunchy, the writing is hilarious and the puzzles are simple but satisfying. Definitely one to wishlist.

I enjoyed Gunpoint well enough but something in Heat Signature just kind of grabbed me and would not let go. I loved the kind of interlocking systems based nonsense you could execute in that game and it looks like Tactical Breach Wizards is going for the same feel by way of Into the Breach?