Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is this a trap? Removing 2 of your own guys from combat to neutralise one of theirs after antheming them doesn't seem great. 3 seems too much for the buff alone.
in limited everyone will have one big mutate fatty and chaff

you tap on their turn and attack for the win on yours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

flatluigi posted:

you don't know what parasitic means and you're also being intentionally stupid about a developer quote

Feel free to inform me how I am wrong in this case. The vast majority of Mutate cards require other Mutate card triggers to be of real value. The Mutate creatures, by and large, are crappy unless they are triggering Mutate abilities or having their Mutate abilities triggered.

Also I have a very hard time imagining Companion working well in any 60-card constructed setup that is powerful, beyond maybe Standard.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Chonky

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

yes

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is this a trap? Removing 2 of your own guys from combat to neutralise one of theirs after antheming them doesn't seem great. 3 seems too much for the buff alone.

It's nowhere near as good as the traditional 1/1 W, T: Tap a dude creatures, but it's in the same vein at least - you're trading an anthem effect for a somewhat. If you have a fair number of humans, dedicating two (or four, or...) of them to shutting down their biggest dude(s) is going to be worth it a lot of the time. With the BW human tokens theme, this could be pretty good if you can drop a decent number of humans on the board at once, or for games that go longer. I don't think any constructed decks will want it, but I'd play it in limited with the right pool.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

This one seems good.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Tainen posted:

This one seems good.

If I still played Soul Sisters in modern.....

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Tainen posted:

This one seems good.

I want to do something really dumb with this. The fact it's only permanents that are limited seems like it'll have some weird synergies.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tainen posted:

This one seems good.

That's barely a limitation for some decks.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Snapcaster Mage forever.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tainen posted:

This one seems good.

This one will just fit naturally in many decks.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tainen posted:

This one seems good.

Not restricting instants and sorceries is cool, I can see trying to make this work

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Orzhov weenies with Bad Dog as your top end instead of Gideon seems cool.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bust Rodd posted:

Orzhov weenies with Bad Dog as your top end instead of Gideon seems cool.

It's a cat.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tainen posted:

This one seems good.

Cool! Glad to see a decent Companion card.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

ShaneB posted:

All the new mechanics in this set are horrid for anything beyond maybe standard, and even then if Mutate succeeds it's parasitic, clumsy, and hard to track well. The enemy colored casting cost stuff is cool.

Companion is looking so underpowered the developer said, on record, it's essentially too bad to even warrant cheating.
this post will age poorly

and it did!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tainen posted:

This one seems good.

so we recurring underworld breach or what

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sampatrick posted:

and it did!

"looking"

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I am willing to bet that Lurrus will end up being banned in multiple formats by this time next year. That card is horribly, insanely busted.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

It's a cat.

Cats are just bad dogs tbh.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ShaneB posted:

"looking"

Maybe don't try to make sweeping predictions based on week 1 of spoilers? They make you sound pretty dumb. The Companion mechanic is just obviously broken if any of the cards in it are even remotely good and hey look at that, one of them is actually very good.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I am *here* for some sort of low to the ground Orzhov Aristocrats deck with that Cat

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sampatrick posted:

Maybe don't try to make sweeping predictions based on week 1 of spoilers? They make you sound pretty dumb. The Companion mechanic is just obviously broken if any of the cards in it are even remotely good and hey look at that, one of them is actually very good.

my sweeping prediction that "companion is looking underpowered" yes

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mike N Eich posted:

I am *here* for some sort of low to the ground Orzhov Aristocrats deck with that Cat

You missed a perfectly good opportunity to call it Aristocats, you rube.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Maybe don't try to make sweeping predictions based on week 1 of spoilers?

Sampatrick posted:

I am willing to bet that Lurrus will end up being banned in multiple formats by this time next year. That card is horribly, insanely busted.

:ironicat:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LMAO this thread is filled to bursting with posting cops

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

a 3/2 with lifelink that lets you start the game with 8 cards in hand and provides card advantage the turn you cast it is essentially destined to be overpowered and banned. the effect is completely absurd.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Spoiler season is my favorite time to view this thread to see all the people being bad at card evaluation. :allears:

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Sampatrick posted:

Maybe, it’s just once a turn tho.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This is one of those times where “it will
make Aggro decks comparable or on the same level as control/combo/midrange” is viewed by some as Broken.

Aggro decks having a guaranteed top end threat that lets them compete with removal heavy control decks aren’t broken, IMO but we’ve also not seen how these cards play

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

meanolmrcloud posted:

Maybe, it’s just once a turn tho.

The static is very strong but the best part is that you get to start the game with 8 cards in hand. Cards that break symmetry are usually broken and this is one of the most symmetry breaking cards that we've ever seen.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Lurrus doesn't override timing restrictions does it?

If not Blacklance Paragon and Giant Killer are the best we are going to get.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Count Bleck posted:

You missed a perfectly good opportunity to call it Aristocats, you rube.

because a cat's the only cat, that knows how to swing (for lethal)

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Lurrus and Call of the Death Dweller seem to go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sampatrick posted:

a 3/2 with lifelink that lets you start the game with 8 cards in hand and provides card advantage the turn you cast it is essentially destined to be overpowered and banned. the effect is completely absurd.

I feel like playing the cat on turn 5 and putting a dead creature on the battlefield is good. Busted in standard? That is going to completely depend on how good the rest of the card pool is going to shape up. You are unestimating the deck building cost.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sickening posted:

I feel like playing the cat on turn 5 and putting a dead creature on the battlefield is good. Busted in standard? That is going to completely depend on how good the rest of the card pool is going to shape up. You are unestimating the deck building cost.

i think starting the game with 8 cards in hand is fundamentally broken and when the card you get is this good its even better. i will admit that im being pretty hyperbolic but i do legitimately think this card is the best card spoiled so far by a country mile.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think one of the silliest places that card could show up is some kind of storm deck actually

E: Mainly due to it having close to 0 opportunity cost in those decks anyways

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 6, 2020

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

LED
cat
LED from grave...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=24994&d=374928&f=LE

Like, I think this for instance runs it and enjoys having a 59 card deck for the rest of existence even if it never casts it