Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

actually3raccoons posted:

I completely agree, and this is basically the thing for me. I've been running games for over 25 years, and I've never felt the need, even with my friends and I being dumb idiots goofing around in high school, to have a PC get sexually assaulted, or even have sexual violence remotely "on screen." Every time this comes up I have to wonder what in the unalloyed gently caress is wrong with that GM?

I wonder if you could tie some of it to the GM-as-author mentality: stories may and can involve sexual violence (which is not inherently bad, even if it's often mishandled), so GMs-as-authors give themselves permission to use the full arsenal of written fiction. Roleplaying games are such a young medium that in many ways we're still in the process of giving it its own identity, and in the meantime people try to awkwardly treat it as a different medium, like film, TV, or books.

You know, when it's not just people using reference to and descriptions of sexual violence as a way to remind women of their vulnerability in society at every waking moment as part of a society-wide culture of making women feel unsafe to enforce a hierarchy and social control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 22, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

All this handwringing about how he can show growth is really funny considering hes 100% gonna never mention this again and find some other idiots to have a tabletop stream with and no one will care in two weeks

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
The pants-shitter himself took this opportunity to return to the pbta subreddit and demand evidence of something.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 22, 2020

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Lol, fuckwit is still doing the whole "swear on pain of perjury" magic words thing? I'm not surprised he's still being garbage, but I would have figured he'd have changed tacts by now.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
God why does Zak keep trotting out the pain of perjury line? It doesn’t make him have any control of “the narrative” like he thinks it does, it just makes him look stupid

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
He thinks it's working because no-one's done it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you helpfully point out that he's being an idiot, the Reddit mods shank you.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

thetoughestbean posted:

God why does Zak keep trotting out the pain of perjury line? It doesn’t make him have any control of “the narrative” like he thinks it does, it just makes him look stupid

It's a threat, and making threats makes him feel in control and dangerous. He still thinks he has his hit mob backing him up, so he's essentially daring anyone to naysay him as he forces his way back into his old haunts.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

it's like the joke when streamers say The Gamer Word, 'you had a dream setup where you were able to just play games and poo poo with a fan base and everything, and all you had to do was not be a colossal piece of poo poo'

There's a bit from The Office where Dwight is assigning people to work weekends, and with great relish picks Jim. Jim comments this is the smallest amount of power he's seen go to someone's head.

I think about that line a lot.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's not young enough that people haven't thought and written about these issues already. Please guess when this was published:

1992 (link)

I mean, sure, but it's a long way from someone having ideas about how things work to those ideas being adopted and understood as best practices by the hobby at large.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Apparently 28 years isn't enough. :shrug:

For what it's worth, more games are building these ideas into the book itself.

Fiasco, Unknown Armies, Delta Green, and the Yellow King RPG all deal with some potentially very dark material. And they all have disclaimers and cautions in the first chapter (or equivalent) to acknowledge that it can be difficult stuff and to think hard about where your players are coming from.

There's still the good faith aspect, of course. Someone who's going to be a gross predator can do it no matter what the system is or what the book says.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 6, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/roll20app/status/1247229035610083329

So he or whoever(wizards, r20, the players), canceled the games they run for the official D&D channel for at least this week.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Can't confirm the veracity of any of these accusations, but someone who says she dated Koebel for five years posted an account of him being a real piece of poo poo during that time!

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

thetoughestbean posted:

I'm honestly a little impressed this pedant cop managed to convince a bunch of complete rubes that he was actually a progressive libertine for over a decade. What a dipshit.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Saguaro PI posted:

I'm honestly a little impressed this pedant cop managed to convince a bunch of complete rubes that he was actually a progressive libertine for over a decade. What a dipshit.

The whole "this person is mentally ill/disabled/etc and thus means they have no credibility" shtick should've burned his credentials long ago. But ableism is common even in progressive circles sadly.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

sexpig by night posted:

it's like the joke when streamers say The Gamer Word, 'you had a dream setup where you were able to just play games and poo poo with a fan base and everything, and all you had to do was not be a colossal piece of poo poo'

Tbh it seems like saying The Gamer Word just gets you even more money and fans in the world of gaming streams.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How's he not banned?

Edit: Wait, are we talking about the same thing? loving ZakS is going on all DW-adjacent forums demanding they stop discussing DW, and then defending himself when people point to his own "alleged" wrongdoings.

At least I can take some small comfort is knowing that we've found the worst possible reaction to all this mess in "Adam turning out to be a garbage person magically un-garbages Zak"

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Froghammer posted:

At least I can take some small comfort is knowing that we've found the worst possible reaction to all this mess in "Adam turning out to be a garbage person magically un-garbages Zak"

This came up during a recent internet discussion when someone tried defending Louis CK, that I feel applies here between Zak's perjury comments and the magical transitive thought process of shitbags: You do not have to be found guilty in a court of law to be an irredeemable shitbag. Usually your actions after the accusation speak louder than whatever magic word spell you try to cast.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

There are tons of people who fall for the good ol' moral relativity argument and Zak leans on that real hard. I mean if (some of) his (imaginary) opponents are flawed, how can any of them critique him????

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 7, 2020

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Speaking of internet-based elfgame shitbags, it looks like the Zweihander guy (not the shitbag here) is gearing up to issue some sort of legal complaint against Swami Nisarg, aka the RPGPundit (the shitbag here)

https://twitter.com/ZweihanderRPG/status/1247023852183576577

https://twitter.com/boymonster/status/1247589399392444418

I have absolutely no idea if anything's going to come of this given the geographical distances involved and/or what, if anything, can be done, but I have to admit I will not find it in me to shed a tear if Daniel Fox somehow manages to make Tarnowski more miserable than he already is.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm not a lawyer, but from what little I know the core case seems like it would be a waste of time for a lawyer unless they're grifting Fox, and that public statement would be strongly discouraged.

My biggest take-away is that I'm just sort of baffled Pundit would give so much of a poo poo about Fox of all people. But then he's never really made sense as a person anyway. I'm sure there are plenty of more likely targets of his bile that just haven't taken the time to try to get him to stop in so public a way.

Hopefully I'm incredibly wrong and Fox has the opportunity and evidence to bury him.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

That Old Tree posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but from what little I know the core case seems like it would be a waste of time for a lawyer unless they're grifting Fox, and that public statement would be strongly discouraged.

My biggest take-away is that I'm just sort of baffled Pundit would give so much of a poo poo about Fox of all people. But then he's never really made sense as a person anyway. I'm sure there are plenty of more likely targets of his bile that just haven't taken the time to try to get him to stop in so public a way.

Hopefully I'm incredibly wrong and Fox has the opportunity and evidence to bury him.

Yeah I'm not really expecting anything to come of it, but hell it's 2020, anything goes at this point.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

That Old Tree posted:

FWIW I know the lawyer he says he’s retained and he’s not likely to be grifting the dude. It’d be a hard case in the US but not an impossible one.

But, since RPGPundit is a Canadian citizen there’s some possibility of filing a defamation claim there and Canadian defamation law is significantly more hostile to speech than US defamation law, which makes it at least somewhat more plausible.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kalman posted:

FWIW I know the lawyer he says he’s retained and he’s not likely to be grifting the dude. It’d be a hard case in the US but not an impossible one.

But, since RPGPundit is a Canadian citizen there’s some possibility of filing a defamation claim there and Canadian defamation law is significantly more hostile to speech than US defamation law, which makes it at least somewhat more plausible.

Yeah, that's the whole reason well-known industry pariah Zak S filed his suit against Mandy in Canada. Commonwealth defamation law is outright abusive.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

That Old Tree posted:

1) Pundowski pretty much lives and dies by his long-standing grudges against people. Most of them are imaginary, since hardly anyone could ever really give a poo poo about him, but he's built up a forum filled with people like him. This leads to

2) He's incredibly small-time, and most of the players in the industry worth a drat don't bother giving him the time of day with what I assume to be the belief that he'll go away if you ignore him long enough. As we can see by his immense hate-boner for Ron Edwards though, the dude just never stops. He doesn't have the army of sycophants that Zak used to have, so he's stuck doing it by himself in increasingly more brazen and awful means as he becomes more and more irrelevant.

When you look at it from the point of view of someone wanting attention, any attention, Pundit's actions make more sense. He's a fake swami and a poor RPG writer pathetically aping the styling of Hunter S. Thompson, a man who would've probably greatly disliked him. This is all he's got going for him.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

That Old Tree posted:

Fox responds to Pundit's bait, I'd imagine that's a big part of the reason. Most targets of Tarnowski's petty ire have banned him and learned not to engage. Even here, Pundit's antics usually generate a page or two of commentary and then everyone stops caring. He's just not important enough to get more worked up about. Fox posting this stuff makes Pundit look important, in that sort of shallow and petty way that most internet drama play out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've always figured part of the reason Tarnowski is so brazen is he thinks living in Uruguay means nothing can touch him.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/1248038942777065472?s=20

Well this sucks

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
pretty sure it's legally required because of Zak's lawsuit in canada, where the burden of proof for libel is so goddamn low.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

yup

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
That does indeed look like the sort of thing one might be forced to post according to the conditions of a settlement after being sued for defamation in a Commonwealth country.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Is Ettin Canadian?

E: Right, Commonwealth.

This sucks, immensely.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Apparently Australia is worse on defamation than Canada: https://www.theguardian.com/law/2019/nov/24/australias-unworkable-defamation-laws-what-the-governments-changes-could-mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BOOOOOOO !