Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

FWIW I don't think Cloud will actually punch Aerith in the remake, but he might try to strangle her or pin her down or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007
He will angrily point and yell out his anime feelings.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
he could just start attacking with his sword and she blocks with her staff but is pushed back to the point where he's about to kill her or something, there's lots of way to do that scene without the exact original details

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Honestly I am more uncomfortable with how they will handle Cid being verbally abusive to his...sorta-wife?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They will mix both scenes where Cid tells Aeris to bring him his goddamn tea and Cloud flips the poo poo out at Cid and starts beating him.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Elentor posted:

They will mix both scenes where Cid tells Aeris to bring him his goddamn tea and Cloud flips the poo poo out at Cid and starts beating him.

Cloud then envisions Cid in a mysterious forest. Both of them playfully swing through the trees as Cid tells him he must go now and that he always cherished their time together.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Cloud will lightly shove Aerith, then Shinra will make it look like he brutally beat her.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

God I am so excited for this weekend. I took Friday off work for this game. So ready for disappointment even though there is no reason to believe this is going to be anything but amazing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

HD DAD posted:

Cloud then envisions Cid in a mysterious forest. Both of them playfully swing through the trees as Cid tells him he must go now and that he always cherished their time together.

They are improving the game

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I saw that they're letting people preload now, do you have to do anything for that or just gonna grab the game early in the morning when it chunks on to check for updates?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I imagine it will more clearly show what is actually happening, which is Sephiroth/Jenova highjacking Cloud's body to attack Aerith.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Cloud is going to beat up Aerith in the remake, it's going to be a button prompt event, and the game won't proceed until you press the button.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
preload has been active since Friday and you don't have to do anything, it'll download while your PS4 is on or suspended. Just as long as you have the necessary 93GB of disk space of course.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Cloud will actually only beat you up - the camera will swing around and he'll attack it head-on.

The gallery will unlock this cutscene and it will be labeled ASMR.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I was like eleven when I played ff7, what was aerith's response after that scene?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Cephas posted:

I was like eleven when I played ff7, what was aerith's response after that scene?

She was basically like “lol you’re pretty hosed up, so I’m gonna handle this on my own.”

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Pretty much. "I think you should really deal with your own problems right now, I'll stop Sephiroth"

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

They could just have cloud get possessed, have him start walking menacingly towards Aeris while she backs away scared, then have someone tackle him before he could swing. That'd still be uncomfortable but, you know, nowhere near as uncomfortable.

It'd dovetail nicely to the second time they do that in the city where you're required to press the buttons to lift the sword and stuff later on just before the inevitable happens

Either way though it's going to be weird seeing all this stuff happen without the weird low poly models from the original game. Looking back it was actually really pretty dark outside of nibelham and stuff, but the limitations on graphics kept it from being way too much

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The Human Crouton posted:

Cloud is going to beat up Aerith in the remake, it's going to be a button prompt event, and the game won't proceed until you press the button.

This is Nomura, the button will auto-press even if you do nothing. Like when Third Birthday had you kill Eve forever even with no button press.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cephas posted:

:sever:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Tae posted:

This is Nomura, the button will auto-press even if you do nothing. Like when Third Birthday had you kill Eve forever even with no button press.

Nomura didn't direct Third Birthday.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Cloud is probably going to do nothing, but then the time ghosts swing by and give Aeris the Rihanna treatment.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Guys help I have a 50 dollar PSN card and I'm thinking about preordering this game. Problem is, I never buy non Nintendo games day one. I played the demo until you get Barrett, thought "Yup this is fantastic, not gonna play another second." and left it at that.

Please talk me out of this decision (or into this decision, I guess?).

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Kirios posted:

Guys help I have a 50 dollar PSN card and I'm thinking about preordering this game. Problem is, I never buy non Nintendo games day one. I played the demo until you get Barrett, thought "Yup this is fantastic, not gonna play another second." and left it at that.

What else are ya gonna do during quarantine?

Ain't no getting off of this train

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Based on what current era Nomura has output, I fully expect the Cloud beating up Aeris scene to be remade in the most chuunibyou way possible. It probably won't be straight up beating, just imagine the most overemotional and distraught thing you can imagine Nomura doing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kirios posted:

The game looks like it's going to be pretty rad and a ton of fun to play and if you liked the demo that much, why not dive right in?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Kirios posted:

Uh you loved the demo are you really going to sit on your rear end not playing it for 6 months of lockdown, pretending it isn't out so you can get it for $40?

I pre-ordered today. Download finished in a little over 2 hours, I guess they are not capping my speeds yet.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cephas posted:

She went to beat up Sephiroth on her own to save Cloud so they could live together as a couple for the rest of their lives.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

She went to beat up Sephiroth on her own to save Cloud so they could live together as a couple for the rest of their lives.

I don't think this is true

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

What else are ya gonna do during quarantine?

Ain't no getting off of this train

Ain't no gettin' outta this (Hell) House we in!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
It's the weirdest thing.

In the 23 years since this game originally came out, I have talked to tons of people about this game. I've beaten it several times and talked with tons of other people who have beaten it several times and literally the only place I have ever seen people think that Cloud beats up Aerith is on these forums. Literally nobody else in 23 years thinks that scene depicts Cloud beating up Aerith. I don't read reddit or gamefaqs so I guess it might be a thing there but these forums are the only place I have ever seen people post that.

So this has got to be another one of these really tired unfunny thread memes alongside the thing about Cloud and Tifa exhibition loving in front of everyone else and then everyone else joins in and there's a huge orgy and whatever.

It's not even funny. The orgy thing is kinda funny maybe if you're 13 years old and posting on these forums in like 2003 but DV is never funny for any reason. And I say that as someone who volunteered at a DV shelter for over a decade.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's the weirdest thing.

In the 23 years since this game originally came out, I have talked to tons of people about this game. I've beaten it several times and talked with tons of other people who have beaten it several times and literally the only place I have ever seen people think that Cloud beats up Aerith is on these forums. Literally nobody else in 23 years thinks that scene depicts Cloud beating up Aerith. I don't read reddit or gamefaqs so I guess it might be a thing there but these forums are the only place I have ever seen people post that.

So this has got to be another one of these really tired unfunny thread memes alongside the thing about Cloud and Tifa exhibition loving in front of everyone else and then everyone else joins in and there's a huge orgy and whatever.

It's not even funny. The orgy thing is kinda funny maybe if you're 13 years old and posting on these forums in like 2003 but DV is never funny for any reason. And I say that as someone who volunteered at a DV shelter for over a decade.

I think it's just people disagreeing with you, man.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's the weirdest thing.

How posters currently talk about FF7 is probably going to be from the LP

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lessail posted:

How posters currently talk about FF7 is probably going to be from the LP

For what it's worth, I've not read the lp and just took that away from the scene after replaying it a few years ago.

I don't think it's a joke. The whole point is that jenova or whatever is able to possess him and make him do a horrible thing like that, and he's powerless to stop himself until someone else comes along. That's why she has to leave.

Heck, immediately after that in the city you're forced to almost kill her, the player can try to struggle but it doesn't matter. You must advance it until he's just about to swing. He barely manages to stop himself, but only just in time for it to not matter in the slightest.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I mean, you could always look up the scene. The internet has that power.

The Remake paints him as unhinged from the start so that whole development arc might as well not exist in future games. That's a shame, because it was good, even if this particular part doesn't add a whole lot to it. They could easily rework it to keep the context and lose the punching.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That scene at the Temple is just really badly shot for this. My own visual impairments didn't help but the lego models and the camera angle and everything made a lot of people I know miss that Cloud was supposed to be attacking her.

Oddly, I am not sure if Sephiroth was supposed to be controlling him at that point. I think he was just freaking out after realizing what he had done.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I don't think this is true

There is a mountain of evidence for Cloud/Aerith.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

There is a mountain of evidence for Cloud/Aerith.

aeris does not and never did care about cloud in that way. she half-jokingly used him as a stand-in for her dead ex, realized her mistake too late, and died before they could achieve any real intimacy

cloud in turn puts her on a pedestal to the point where he continues to idolize her even after her death, over tifa who also won't put out the candle she's held for him since their childhood

there is no "romance" in FF7, just varying layers of obsessiveness, dependency, and mutual misery, and that owns

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

aeris does not and never did care about cloud in that way. she half-jokingly used him as a stand-in for her dead ex, realized her mistake too late, and died before they could achieve any real intimacy

cloud in turn puts her on a pedestal to the point where he continues to idolize her even after her death, over tifa who also won't put out the candle she's held for him since their childhood

there is no "romance" in FF7, just varying layers of obsessiveness, dependency, and mutual misery, and that owns

I always felt bad for Tifa. She deserves better than Cloud.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Framboise posted:

I always felt bad for Tifa. She deserves better than Cloud.

Nah the entire flashback and the reveal she knew what was up proved that she in fact was just as hosed up as he was in ways.

They both deserved no one, but two broken people putting each other back together enough to just function is very FF7.

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's the weirdest thing.

No it's the implication of the scene and it's what I thought was happening when I first played it as a kid and what most people I've seen talk about it understood to be happening. You're really going very far to project everyone else as doing it for a bit and you're just being really really weird about it trying to project people making light of domestic abuse.

No one is saying it's cool or funny the entire loving point of that scene is to show how loving far cloud is gone and controlled by Jenova/Sephiroth. It's what makes Aeris go "Yaeh sorry no I thought I could hang with you but you're too messed up I'll handle it solo from here" and it's directly mirrored in the scene where he just barely doesn't kill her as you pointlessly struggle against it just like you pointlessly run around as cloud's disembodied psyche as his body goes berserk trying to get the black materia from Aeris. Like I'm sorry, he shoves her over, falls on top of her and starts punching in her direction. He's going nuts attacking her.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Tifa knew there was something wrong with Cloud compared to the person she knew growing up. It turns out she was right and because it's a fun video game she helps him and it gets neatly resolved, Cloud becomes who he's supposed to be again and they do it under the highwind, then save the world.