Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

And now.. yes, we're still doing these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/chetwill/status/1244474947218612224?s=19

:nws: link related to the rats

e: apparently going to the internet archive isn't needed, he's still around

https://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Biohazard

Other than having wikifur in your browser history there's nothing untoward on the link (at least on mobile)

Azhais fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 30, 2020

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

In a time when there is no live audience these type of things work better with a co-host to bounce off. And to minimize staff perhaps make it audio only. An audio newspaper for a visual world if you will.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Senor Tron posted:

In a time when there is no live audience these type of things work better with a co-host to bounce off. And to minimize staff perhaps make it audio only. An audio newspaper for a visual world if you will.

Nah, just have video guest appearances, like on John Krasinski's new YouTube show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5pgG1M_h_U

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I rarely like live audiences on these shows and have always appreciated how John just barrels through their hooting and hollering as opposed to many others who allow them to stop the show dead on its tracks. I get that they're performing in front of an audience but the show isn't just for them. So when it's just John on his own it's not much different I don't think, and this format isn't all that detrimental to him as it might be for other hosts.

Also, as a non-american, I feel compelled to say.. I'm so sorry, Americans. You've got one bum deal here and it's gonna get loving grim for you guys with all these ignorant asses arguing for brownie points while people suffer and die. Even more than usual.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Speaking of video guest apperances, here's John as a video guest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vgOzy0Mfsw

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
That TV station also broadcast Budd Dwyer's suicide live in 1981. What I'm saying is public television, especially in south central Pennsylvania, use to be way more interesting.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Am I the only one who is supremely off put by Trump described as a 'War Time President' and John saying he should use those powers? I mean, yeah it could help in some ways, but trump??

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Everything Trump says is offputting and he's the one that called himself a war time president, so it's a reasonable response to feel off put.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
more like war crime president

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Trump calling himself a "War Time President" is ridiculous and just his typical way of trying to turn this into something that glorifies him as he believes all things do. But I think anyone saying he "should use those powers" are speaking to the fact that he made a big show of making private companies make equipment that is needed and then... didn't do it. And whether it would have been the right thing or justified or what it would have actually helped but as usual Trump didn't actually want to help, he just wanted to stand at a podium and say how awesome he was and then let the CEOs praise him for not making them do anything that might cost them money.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The media bubble, including Oliver, is still so brain-broken that they hope a ~TRUMP PIVOT~ is still possible because, surely underneath all of that narcissism and hubris is a human heart, right? :nallears:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The media bubble, including Oliver, is still so brain-broken that they hope a ~TRUMP PIVOT~ is still possible because, surely underneath all of that narcissism and hubris is a human heart, right? :nallears:

Typically there are pragmatic reasons wrt reelection a normal shithead would get his head out of his rear end at some point.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can understand hoping that there will be some bottom to which he won't sink, some end to how bad he can be. I don't think Oliver honestly thought he would magically become competent though.

W did a bit of a pivot after 9/11. Before, he was more just an irresponsible goof. He was the fun candidate, the one that people wanted to have a beer with. Everybody wants to have a beer with a former alcoholic, right?. He didn't run on wanting to start a war, whatever his plans were behind closed doors, he ran on taking the tax surplus and sending it out to the rest country along with some tax cuts for the wealthy, and that was only barely enough to gimmick the electoral college with the help of his brother Jeb. Then after 9/11 he went into the whole crusading holy war thing and abrogating human rights all over the place while still being wildly incompetent at domestic affairs.

We're a little lucky that Trump hasn't found it in him to try pushing for something like suspending elections indefinitely or some other powergrab, but it's still disappointing that the pattern of making everything worse continued despite the higher stakes than ever.

All we can do is take solace in...I dunno, some rats makin' out? I lost track of things towards the end of the episode.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Typically there are pragmatic reasons wrt reelection a normal shithead would get his head out of his rear end at some point.

Yeah but why bother doing that when you've got the loudest voices in the media and an army of Twitter bots all parroting how great you are 24/7. Much easier to talk about how much you're fixing the problem while doing nothing, than it is to actually try and fix the problem.

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Senor Tron posted:

Crimea river

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

SlothfulCobra posted:

I can understand hoping that there will be some bottom to which he won't sink, some end to how bad he can be. I don't think Oliver honestly thought he would magically become competent though.

W did a bit of a pivot after 9/11. Before, he was more just an irresponsible goof. He was the fun candidate, the one that people wanted to have a beer with. Everybody wants to have a beer with a former alcoholic, right?. He didn't run on wanting to start a war, whatever his plans were behind closed doors, he ran on taking the tax surplus and sending it out to the rest country along with some tax cuts for the wealthy, and that was only barely enough to gimmick the electoral college with the help of his brother Jeb. Then after 9/11 he went into the whole crusading holy war thing and abrogating human rights all over the place while still being wildly incompetent at domestic affairs.

We're a little lucky that Trump hasn't found it in him to try pushing for something like suspending elections indefinitely or some other powergrab, but it's still disappointing that the pattern of making everything worse continued despite the higher stakes than ever.

All we can do is take solace in...I dunno, some rats makin' out? I lost track of things towards the end of the episode.

So I read "The Dark Side" and the absolutely wild stuff Cheney got up to. Even prior to 9/11 he was deeply mired in cold war paranoia. When it hit, and in conjunction with the anthrax scare, he went full underground bunker, shadow governmental, Tom Clancy is real, the panopticon is the only viable option for american safety crazy. Depending on who you read, I think his influence was most critical in defining the Bush presidency.

Which is to say, I'm not sure there's an equivalent figure in the Trump white house.

Poor Outlook fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 1, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Poor Outlook posted:

Which is to say, I'm not sure there's an equivalent figure in the Trump white house.

There is, but it's Jared Kushner. God help you all.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a lot of parallels between W and Trump, being wealthy high-profile idiot failsons who were granted the opportunity to fail on the world stage after the majority of the country made it clear that they didn't want them to be president.

The biggest difference though is that W had been babied by his father and other various upper class institutions and was very trusting, whereas Trump, being brutally raised by a monster to be a monster, is a conman and doesn't trust anybody, experts, idiots, enemies, or allies. So if he doesn't want to do something big (which is most of the time, he spends a lot of time bluffing without any intention to follow through) then it's probably not gonna be done by the administration. There's no power behind the throne, Bolton wanted to be but got kicked out just like most of the other more competent and ambitious republicans that the administration chewed up and spit out.

If his failson-in-law has any ability or ambition, he's very good at hiding it. So far it seems like Kushner just stumbles his way around not getting anything done but being an empty body to bury responsibility with. He gets all these duties because he doesn't have it in him to do anything, much less possibly threaten his sugardaddy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don't know, Kushner was pretty key in making sure Christie imploded, Christie was the DA that put Kushner's father behind bars.

It's hard to pinpoint one person pulling the administration in any one direction since self serving autocrats are the people Trumps surrounds himself with. Steven Miller is writing all of Trump's immigration policies, Kudlow was the one pushing Trump to ease up on restrictions and the only brightside is that there's apparently someone that actually speaks Trump with an ounce of sense in the WH. By all accounts the only way they were able to get him to strengthen the stay-at-home order was to show him photographs of his childhood neighborhood and how bad it was for the hospital there so he can personalize the depth of tragedy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I think it was more to make it clear that he isn't after scoring some political points on the pandemic. That he isn't attacking Trump because he's Trump but because he doing a genuinely lovely job at trying to stop people from dying.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Incidentally, John Oliver mentioned Trump weirdly singling out GM to force making ventilators, that's a weird choice, but it's even weirder how he did it.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1243559373395410957

That's...weird, right? Not just issuing an order through twitter like he's actively on fire and burning to death while typing it, that's just his standard behavior that he does all the time, but to specify a factory that he wants GM to use as well. A closed factory.

It's because that specific factory was one of his failures. He promised during the election to keep it open, because bullying companies to not move their manufacturing makes up for refusing to address structural problems with America's economy. It was a weak promise, but he couldn't even get that much done because he is a pathetic incapable waste of humanity even when he's not being directly malicious. He's using the crisis to backdoor his way into salvaging an old failure without acknowledging his current failure.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/aug/23/general-motors-factory-ohio-lordstown

But what's more ridiculous is that GM didn't just close the factory, they sold the factory. They don't own it anymore, they can't open it up again. Trump tweeted about it in a previous attempt to salvage his failure.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1126144398180388864?lang=en

Possibly that wasn't him tweeting and just a staffmember, but who cares. We all know that he's generally incapable and barely knows anything at any time, which has been a weird saving grace throughout his attempts of warmongering, genocide, theft, oppression, and dismantling our country's infrastructure to pay for meaningless vanity projects, but it also comes into play during his rare attempts to do something good and in this case it intensifies a disaster.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SlothfulCobra posted:

Incidentally, John Oliver mentioned Trump weirdly singling out GM to force making ventilators, that's a weird choice, but it's even weirder how he did it.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1243559373395410957

The most powerful man in America, ladies and gentlemen. Jesus loving Christ, I literally wouldn't trust this man to run a goddamn Arby's and almost 50% of American voters thought he'd do fine. JESUS

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

precision posted:

The most powerful man in America, ladies and gentlemen. Jesus loving Christ, I literally wouldn't trust this man to run a goddamn Arby's and almost 50% of American voters thought he'd do fine. JESUS

Who works to raise gas prices with his journalist-murdering, dictator friends during a crisis?
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1245720677660925952?s=20

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I believe it was Terry Pratchett who put forth the theory that you can judge a person's sanity entirely on the number of superfluous exclamation points they use

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Who works to raise gas prices with his journalist-murdering, dictator friends during a crisis?
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1245720677660925952?s=20

When the prices crashed, he was hyping it as cheap gas for everyone. Not that these statements are contradictory, technically, but it's pretty lol that we're now celebrating price fixing to increase costs for everyone

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Can't even watch this one. God drat I hate OAN

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Oh my god these people just piss me off so much I can't stand it. These arrogant shitbags with their LiBeRtY. This moron walking around talking about how we're under conditions like Hitler's Germany or Stalin's Russia because there's a loving pandemic and he has to sneak to his hairdresser's house because he's not supposed to go out during the lockdown. Like you dumb gently caress context is important here, your right to walk around on pointless errands is not the ultimate most important thing in the world when we're trying to prevent a million people from dying.

And the reporter lobbing Trump the softest of softballs as she compares all the other reporters in the room to Chinese propaganda. All of these people should be hit in the face. What was the word from that website?

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Lmao I went to look into crazy WH correspondent lady’s interview with the guy who said coronavirus was made in a lab in North Carolina...and OAN used a photo of Dave from 2001: A Space Odyssey as his image.

loving LOL

Source video (since they’re copyright striking everything on YouTube): https://indyweek.com/news/northcarolina/trump-oan-unc-lab-coronavirus/

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
loving hell.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/01/courtland-sykes-fiancee-chanel-rion/

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Wouldn't it make more sense to defend "Chinese Virus" by bringing up the "Spanish Flu" rather than "Chinese Food"?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Especially since a lot of Chinese food that Americans think about are actually American constructs

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

He love checkers

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense to defend "Chinese Virus" by bringing up the "Spanish Flu" rather than "Chinese Food"?

Not if you know your audience doesn't know about the 1918 epidemic. :eng99:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've only heard of ONN through posts here so seeing it live was...ugh. It's incredibly disturbing that these people not only have access to are president but also a non-zero audience.

Azhais posted:

Especially since a lot of Chinese food that Americans think about are actually American constructs
So... just like the Spanish Flu and SARS-CoV-2 then?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 7, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Does this not-news station air its dicksucking "questions" on its own programs, or is their purpose just to give an ego boost to the one man that needs it the least?

Like the purpose of these sessions is supposed to be to ask questions to get answers to put into their news programs, what are these long not-actually-a-question statements actually providing for them content-wise? Are they just directly paid to ask those questions as opposed to running a network to produce content for people to see?

I've seen these sort of softballs on questions for the prime minister where it's literally politicians putting themselves in the spotlight, but I'm not sure how we've come to this point. I'm not even sure how we got to the point where the pissfuck is actually talking to reporters directly in regular sessions as opposed to earlier where the administration was trying to minimize contact with reporters and even avoid press meetings entirely.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was kind of amazing just how angry John was at Jared.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Why is it abbreviated OAN and not OANN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Well the "News" part of "News Network" is fairly questionable