Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
I really needed a project for this isolation that doesn’t involve entertaining or educating bored kids. I ordered a Hagon mono shock to replace the corroded and barely functional original on my 96 Fireblade. Had a quick socially responsible ride down the road. Feels so good. Next project polish up an old oem exhaust I got on eBay. The rear brake pump linkage is rusty but functional so that’s on the list.

I love this bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

working on bikes rules

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

also, put another few hundred on it finding a spot to primitive camp:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Of course the $230 antigravity li-ion battery I got is dead - I’m sure my Tuono has some mysterious parasitic drain, but now I can’t ride until my special charger arrives :/

Normal battery tender wont even light up when I connect it :(

I just want to bomb around empty roads...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

High Protein posted:

Personally my issue is more taking a tight corner and kicking it into 1st, which is too much of a jump from 2nd.

Same. It's just a nice little extra to know you're still in 2nd when tootling around town.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Voltage posted:

Of course the $230 antigravity li-ion battery I got is dead - I’m sure my Tuono has some mysterious parasitic drain, but now I can’t ride until my special charger arrives :/

You didn’t get the one with the restart?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

builds character posted:

You didn’t get the one with the restart?

The restart button did not give it enough juice to start, cranked over once and nearly fired up, but no dice :(

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Voltage posted:

let me know if you find it, i've loving given up.
i even did a drain test with it off and got nothing

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I put in a USB port/charger on the 2006 KTM390:

(click for big)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Oibignose posted:

I really needed a project for this isolation that doesn’t involve entertaining or educating bored kids. I ordered a Hagon mono shock to replace the corroded and barely functional original on my 96 Fireblade. Had a quick socially responsible ride down the road. Feels so good. Next project polish up an old oem exhaust I got on eBay. The rear brake pump linkage is rusty but functional so that’s on the list.

I love this bike.

That bike just got a million times better.

Also, I am the sparkplugs in the ashtray.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Oibignose posted:

I love this bike.

One of my favorite bikes of all time. So beautiful.

Rebuilt some F4i forks with new seals, bushings, .95 RaceTech springs, and new stanchions since the old ones were bent. The stanchions are Chinese replacements. Quality on them seems very good and they are the same as the originals in design, length, and finish. Pretty good for $160/pair shipped vs $210 each for the oems. Triples are gen6 VFR for the correct offset, bars are Heli. These are going on my 97 (gen4) VFR. F4i forks are 43mm fully adjustable vs the 41mm preload-only stock units on the VFR. Brakes are 4 pot vs the stock 2 pots.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

After a long winter hibernation, finally got two of the bikes out on Friday. Forgive the glare in the pictures, I couldn’t really tell through the phone screen.

2018 Duke 390

2017 Kawi Z125

I did the Z first then hopped on the Duke. I always forget how different they are to ride until I do it back-to-back, but given the extra 35hp and two gears of the Duke I shouldn’t be surprised. Maybe next nice day I’ll be able take the MadAss and the Buell out. Work has been mega slow given the current climate, but it’s unpredictable even in normal circumstances.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gorson posted:

One of my favorite bikes of all time. So beautiful.

Rebuilt some F4i forks with new seals, bushings, .95 RaceTech springs, and new stanchions since the old ones were bent. The stanchions are Chinese replacements. Quality on them seems very good and they are the same as the originals in design, length, and finish. Pretty good for $160/pair shipped vs $210 each for the oems. Triples are gen6 VFR for the correct offset, bars are Heli. These are going on my 97 (gen4) VFR. F4i forks are 43mm fully adjustable vs the 41mm preload-only stock units on the VFR. Brakes are 4 pot vs the stock 2 pots.

Nice. I have a whole bunch of fork swapping to do in my future.
I have a set of F4i forks to go on a project CB750, 954 forks to put on my VFR, and VFR forks to put on a Goldwing.
Where'd you get your parts?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Oibignose posted:

Next project polish up an old oem exhaust I got on eBay.

Stubby ART cans, the most obnoxious things.

edit: can't find a pic of it when it was stock. mates 96 Blade, with a crappy r1 race tail on it back in 2008. That color scheme is one of the best.

How it looks now, facing down an unmolested version

echomadman fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 30, 2020

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef

echomadman posted:

Stubby ART cans, the most obnoxious things.

edit: can't find a pic of it when it was stock. mates 96 Blade, with a crappy r1 race tail on it back in 2008. That color scheme is one of the best.

How it looks now, facing down an unmolested version

Fireblade streetfighters just look great fun.

I don’t hate the sound of it, but ART cans have that reputation and I’d rather the stock. It’s a great colour scheme just wish I could ride it right now without feeling the SHAME of being socially irresponsible.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

At least it isn’t a D&D pipe

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Nice. I have a whole bunch of fork swapping to do in my future.
I have a set of F4i forks to go on a project CB750, 954 forks to put on my VFR, and VFR forks to put on a Goldwing.
Where'd you get your parts?

I get my parts from Craigslist or Facebook, I just look for bike part outs for F3's, F4i's, 600RR's etc. Any of them make good upgrades for the trashbikes I like to ride. I used to get some good deals on ebay but it's been a while.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gorson posted:

I get my parts from Craigslist or Facebook, I just look for bike part outs for F3's, F4i's, 600RR's etc. Any of them make good upgrades for the trashbikes I like to ride. I used to get some good deals on ebay but it's been a while.

I meant the racetech springs, stanchions, seals, etc...

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I meant the racetech springs, stanchions, seals, etc...

A combination of ebay, Amazon, and the local dealership who actually have good prices on most things and don't charge shipping. I used oem seals (always, or SKF) and all balls bushings. Race Tech makes good bushings as well, just a little more expensive. The stanchions are available for most bikes:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Fork...ItemCondition=3

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
Fitted the freshly polished silencer. Looks and sounds much better.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Oibignose posted:

Looks fabulous. What did you use to polish the exhaust?

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef

Jazzzzz posted:

Looks fabulous. What did you use to polish the exhaust?

Autosol, a couple of clean rags and a lot of elbow grease.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oibignose posted:

Great looking bike.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

mounted the R40 I got from AuxiliaryPatroller 😘 for ill advised trails

also finished wiring the fog lamps to the high beam switch (had to use a dongle due to the CANBUS)

they are quite bright!

and removed my deflectors from my hand guards since it has been somewhat warm out :D

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Finally got around to muscling the massive piece of fibreglass I bought months ago up on the front of the bike and learned two things: 1) it fits really well and is going to look :krad: when it's finished and 2) figuring out what shape the brackets will need to be and how to mount them is going to be even more of a pain in the rear end than I thought. Gonna need to make a wireframe model or something I can ziptie to the bike to get the spacing correct while leaving my hands free to take measurements.

Also getting it past the forks was a huge ballache and when it comes time to fit it for real I'm just taking the front wheel off.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Had ambitious plans for the bike today, got most of them done. First off was get the fairings off and clean them well, I had an oil leak a long time ago that got the bottom of the fairings pretty gross, but it wasn't like you could see it just looking at the bike so I got lazy. I had plans for cleaning the bike with degreaser, but I ran out of time and that didn't happen.

Next up, oil change. Only problem is some stupid rear end in a top hat (me) must have put the drain plug on too tight last time because it was not moving. Increased force eventually rounded the bolt, which is awesome. I was going to give vice grips a chance, and if not that drill it out (which sounds problematic what with the shavings in the oil sump), but amazingly enough the 13mm extractor socket hammered on really tight got a very mangled drain bolt out:

The mangled drain plug wasn't a problem because I've had a Fumoto valve I've been meaning to put on since xmas. It's one of the new style ones, F106SX, plus a short adapter because of the way the sump is shaped:

I would like to add that fully faired bikes are a real pain in the rear end, especially the parts of the fairings that hook together with these things:

The easy parts to get to are just held together with easy to use bolts, but where the two sides of the fairings meet on the bottom of the bike, along with hard to access parts on the front like to use these things. In theory, you unscrew it and once the screw is out you can just pull the wider part out. In practice, trying to unscrew the screw doesn't do anything unless you can put some kind of pressure on the piece as a whole, so you're trying to jam a thin flathead screwdriver under this piece and put pressure on as you're trying unscrew it. I feel like there has to be a better way. It does seem that replacing them with new ones every time you take them out makes it easier the next time, so I should just buy 100 of them and call it a day.

Finally, I replaced my existing flush mount turn signals from the PO with Proton 500s. I had asked some questions on here months ago about how to wire it up, and everyone's advice was helpful because those bullet connectors did the trick. The different settings on the proton 500s are changed with a little magnet that you touch to the turn signal, but for some reason right now the magnet only changes my left signal, my right won't change. It's fine for now though, I just wanted brighter signals for making those left turns where you don't have your own turn lane, in the hopes of not getting rear ended by someone in a SUV sending text messages or tik toks or whatever the kids do these days.

I can't figure out how to embed an imgur video, so here's a link to a video of the signals. It's hard to tell on the video, but they're definitely bright. Like leave spots in your vision after you've been trying to play with the different patterns bright.

https://i.imgur.com/H7ivQph.mp4

*edit*
ah it embeds automatically if you use the url tags, but it doesn't show up in the preview because it's SA

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 5, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Neat! I’ve got a fumoto just sitting here for after my first dealer service that I’m going to ask them to put in in lieu of the drain plug.

Though, uh, wonder what I’m going to do when I hit the first 1000 km +/- and they’re still closed for COVID.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 5, 2020

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
The best thing about bikes is how easy they are to work on.

Unless you've got too many fairings or have one of those bikes built by tiny elf hands I guess.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Ulf posted:

The best thing about bikes is how easy they are to work on.

Unless you've got too many fairings or have one of those bikes built by tiny elf hands I guess.

agreed

I love having a garage just so I can monkey around with it when I am bored. working on my forester is a chore compared to it

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Renaissance Robot posted:

Finally got around to muscling the massive piece of fibreglass I bought months ago up on the front of the bike and learned two things: 1) it fits really well and is going to look :krad: when it's finished and 2) figuring out what shape the brackets will need to be and how to mount them is going to be even more of a pain in the rear end than I thought. Gonna need to make a wireframe model or something I can ziptie to the bike to get the spacing correct while leaving my hands free to take measurements.

Also getting it past the forks was a huge ballache and when it comes time to fit it for real I'm just taking the front wheel off.

Cardboard mock ups are your friend.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's CAD :cool:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'd love to do it in CAD but curves are hard :goleft:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
You just need a sharper XActo then.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, CardboArD.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
One of the maintenance tasks on my engine is draining the "snot tube" (airbox catch tube). Air-cooled engines have a lot of blowby and you need to empty it out every few thousand miles. I don't really have a fixed schedule for this, I just keep an eye on the translucent tube and empty it when there's an inch of crud in there.

Today I realized I hadn't drained it in a while but it looked empty. I took the cap off and a liter of greasy water came pouring out. I've been through a lot of wet snowstorms and soaked roads this winter so I guess it filled the airbox with water. There doesn't seem to be any rust on the re-usable filter so I don't think it rose to that level, I've now serviced the filter and no damage done I guess.

EDIT: My biggest regret today is not having video footage of this thing draining. It was like an r/popping vid.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 6, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeah, CardboArD.

A heathen that has not accepted Project Binky into their lives? BURN THEM!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ulf posted:

One of the maintenance tasks on my engine is draining the "snot tube" (airbox catch tube). Air-cooled engines have a lot of blowby and you need to empty it out every few thousand miles. I don't really have a fixed schedule for this, I just keep an eye on the translucent tube and empty it when there's an inch of crud in there.

Today I realized I hadn't drained it in a while but it looked empty. I took the cap off and a liter of greasy water came pouring out. I've been through a lot of wet snowstorms and soaked roads this winter so I guess it filled the airbox with water. There doesn't seem to be any rust on the re-usable filter so I don't think it rose to that level, I've now serviced the filter and no damage done I guess.

EDIT: My biggest regret today is not having video footage of this thing draining. It was like an r/popping vid.

I challenge everyone here to try this, you'd be shocked at the results. Most bikes have them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I challenge everyone here to try this, you'd be shocked at the results. Most bikes have them.

Wouldn't that tube normally be set up to drip stuff out somewhere safe? On the Shiver there was a little tube that ran from the bottom of the airbox out to a little bracket just behind and below the horn, is there a reason why that wouldn't be common? Or is it something I needed to manually open up somehow?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Cracked 2,000 miles on the bike today :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wouldn't that tube normally be set up to drip stuff out somewhere safe? On the Shiver there was a little tube that ran from the bottom of the airbox out to a little bracket just behind and below the horn, is there a reason why that wouldn't be common? Or is it something I needed to manually open up somehow?
The airbox has to be airtight such that air can only come through the filter, so a drain tube can't just be uncapped. Maybe other bikes use a different mechanism but for what I've got it'd either be a capped drain tube or a one-way valve (that could break).