Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

I'd have the same facial expressions if I ever met Mirko just not out of fear

so it'd be blood instead of snot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

Also Mirko is still really good and the doctor's overblown reactions every time the heroes break through his defenses are loving amazing.

SKULL.GIF posted:

The rainbow sparkles snot was really something special.

I very much misread the panelling in that sequence and thought the doctor’s snot became the two projectiles that nearly took Mirko’s face off

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

The society is at fault for letting Twice slip through the cracks to get to where he was. Hawks was still 100% correct and justified in killing him and had no reasonable way to avoid killing him without catastrophic consequences, which didn't stop him from trying to talk him down and subdue him nonlethally anyways. People are trying to paint Hawks as some kind of sociopathic killer despite this not being even remotely supported by the story or character. I feel like half the people here are just ignoring the actual text to make their flimsy points about how this was some huge moral failure for hawks when he had basically zero morally clean options left to him.

Comparing this situation to real life police brutality/murder is in incredibly poor taste and isn't even a remotely accurate comparison considering that the victims of police brutality in reality are often innocent and unarmed, or are guilty of a minor nonviolent offense, or are armed but compliant with police, or even if they are violent and armed do not possess any kind of power on the same order of magnitude as Twice because it's real life and not a fictional superhero story, whereas Twice was actively choosing to fight and could be considered a weapon of mass destruction even while restrained and unarmed.

I don't agree with the mentally ill people with nukes comparison either. Twice was mentally ill for sure, but he was lucid and knew exactly what his choices meant and had every intention to follow through with them.

The way Twice "slipped through the cracks" was that he was orphaned and then later fired from his job.

The whole thing about hero society being flawed never rang true to me. It's always felt like society (which happens to have heroes) is flawed. Which is a little too on the nose and true to life for me in this superhuman punch comic that takes place in the near future.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Didn’t technology lag behind our world because of quirks? A society based on one dude crushing crime so hard that he can leave a giant power vacuum in his absence seems a bit more hardcore than any real life analogue

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oh jay posted:

The way Twice "slipped through the cracks" was that he was orphaned and then later fired from his job.

The whole thing about hero society being flawed never rang true to me. It's always felt like society (which happens to have heroes) is flawed. Which is a little too on the nose and true to life for me in this superhuman punch comic that takes place in the near future.

That's definitely true.

Honestly, to me one of the more obvious and interesting issues the setting brings up is that free use of your body, using your Quirk, is policed unless you have a hero license, even in self-defense or not against another person. But apparently Vigilantes covers that? Though it sucks to me that the main series seems really uninterested in it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Arist posted:

That's definitely true.

Honestly, to me one of the more obvious and interesting issues the setting brings up is that free use of your body, using your Quirk, is policed unless you have a hero license, even in self-defense or not against another person. But apparently Vigilantes covers that? Though it sucks to me that the main series seems really uninterested in it.
To be fair about that the main characters in the main series are all people getting legal permission to use their quirks. Koichi using his illegally kinda actually doesn't get mentioned all that much past a point in Vigilantes because he basically just ends up being considered quaint by the heroes he runs into. He doesn't even get arrested after openly fighting alongside heroes in the sky needle thing.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Professorjuggalo posted:

Didn’t technology lag behind our world because of quirks? A society based on one dude crushing crime so hard that he can leave a giant power vacuum in his absence seems a bit more hardcore than any real life analogue

There's like this vague implication that MHA is like 200 years beyond our current time and the reason why technology is mostly the same (with holograms and cool robots) is that there was a long period of chaos when Quirks started appearing en masse.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

oh jay posted:

We have some big indications that the hero part of hero society is specifically flawed and in need of a kick in the rear end. Momo's entire initial internship consisted of her being selected because she's pretty and doing nothing but following her teacher around doing upscale photoshoots, because that's apparently an important part of being a hero. The entire structure of "hero rankings" has created an internal culture which can produce a monster like what Endeavor was before recently but still laud that person as great and good. All Might becoming the Symbol of Peace has basically led to society becoming so dependent on a superpowered omnipotent guardian angel to maintain basic societal stability that the very first thing they do when he's gone is to try to prop up a new superpowered omnipotent guardian angel by making Endeavor the Symbol of Peace because he happened to be #2.

That said, you're right in that the sad backstories of the VA members aren't really tied to hero society. Twice's story is a pretty common "guy has a rough childhood, loses job, turns to life of crime" story, Toga's story is that she was simply wired differently than others and no one understood it or reached out to her to help her in a healthy way until it was too late, and Shigaraki's story is one of abandonment with a seasoning of child abuse. All of them are enhanced to an extreme degree by the presence of superpowers but the bones are definitely "real society has major flaws".

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The only real objective motiveless monster in the series is All For One, which is pretty fitting because his whole thing is manipulating disadvantaged people.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Funky Valentine posted:

There's like this vague implication that MHA is like 200 years beyond our current time and the reason why technology is mostly the same (with holograms and cool robots) is that there was a long period of chaos when Quirks started appearing en masse.

The implication I got is that all advancements in technology over the years have been focused solely on quirk related stuff. Regular everyday tech is about on par with our own, but everything related to quirks is super advanced, like all the hero equipment Mei makes, the tech UA uses for training, the stuff on I-Island, the tech the Liberation Army leaders were using, all the genetic experiments Overhaul and Dr. Holocaust get up too, etc.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I just started reading Vigilante. Please tell me that Gentle-man meets Gentle Criminal.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fabricated posted:

The only real objective motiveless monster in the series is All For One, which is pretty fitting because his whole thing is manipulating disadvantaged people.

I'd say Muscular counts too, he was a pretty big rear end in a top hat

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Kanos posted:

We have some big indications that the hero part of hero society is specifically flawed and in need of a kick in the rear end. Momo's entire initial internship consisted of her being selected because she's pretty and doing nothing but following her teacher around doing upscale photoshoots, because that's apparently an important part of being a hero. The entire structure of "hero rankings" has created an internal culture which can produce a monster like what Endeavor was before recently but still laud that person as great and good. All Might becoming the Symbol of Peace has basically led to society becoming so dependent on a superpowered omnipotent guardian angel to maintain basic societal stability that the very first thing they do when he's gone is to try to prop up a new superpowered omnipotent guardian angel by making Endeavor the Symbol of Peace because he happened to be #2.

I mean, that really sounds like what Stain wants, where ever person who dares calls themselves a hero needs to be one hundred percent perfect.

Again, this is kinda of a too true to life, like how there are a plenty of, for example, musicians or athletes that stay in their lane and do their job, and there are shitbags who beat their wives, or women who are strongly "encouraged" to become sex symbols. I don't think you need to burn down these industries to the ground because of this. It's just not perfect, just like hero society shouldn't be expected to be perfect.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

CharlestonJew posted:

I'd say Muscular counts too, he was a pretty big rear end in a top hat
He liked cutting loose with his quirk and killing people, so there's some hedonistic motive there. All For One basically just looked at the camera and said, "Eh, I wanted to be the devil. Why not?"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The doctor just wants to perform highly unethical human experiments on people, who are we to judge?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Arist posted:

That's definitely true.

If I remember correctly there are a bunch of different levels of restrictions on quirks. There is quirk licencing for using your quick for business, separate from hero work. Equivalent to getting a drivers licence for big trucks. Uraraka was originally going to do this but there would be more money in hero work so she went for that instead. You can use your quirk in self defense but the cops are still gonna question you because its still a crime scene. And what the series focuses on, a hero licence is a really big deal because it allows you to use your quirks unrestricted, in public, on other people unlike the more industrial licences. Thats a huge deal. Giving people who aren't part of the offical police force the right to use any level of force they deem necessary is a big responsibility.

The MLA on the other hand wants you to be able to use your quick on your boss to take control of the company, and for that to be the norm.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I just started reading Vigilante. Please tell me that Gentle-man meets Gentle Criminal.

I'm afraid not, Gentle Criminal has not appeared in Vigilantes. Sad, because I could actually see him befriending Koichi, finding common roots in both of their professions as people who never got to be Heroes as they wanted, if for completely different reasons.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

oh jay posted:

I mean, that really sounds like what Stain wants, where ever person who dares calls themselves a hero needs to be one hundred percent perfect.

Again, this is kinda of a too true to life, like how there are a plenty of, for example, musicians or athletes that stay in their lane and do their job, and there are shitbags who beat their wives, or women who are strongly "encouraged" to become sex symbols. I don't think you need to burn down these industries to the ground because of this. It's just not perfect, just like hero society shouldn't be expected to be perfect.

Mt. Lady is another example of a "selfish" hero who moved to the city so she could be more rich and famous even though her quirk would be better suited for more rural areas where there are less buildings in the way and even she was shown to put her life(and face) on the line in order to save Bakugou during the rescue operation.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I love how Aizawa starts beating on Knuckleduster and then realizes he's Quirkless and is just like "Oh, well, proceed with assaulting random people, fellow citizen." :allears:

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm afraid not, Gentle Criminal has not appeared in Vigilantes. Sad, because I could actually see him befriending Koichi, finding common roots in both of their professions as people who never got to be Heroes as they wanted, if for completely different reasons.

:(

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Koichi wouldn’t even get to hang out with gentle criminal after the latter finds out popstep is still in high school

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Tbf to what we know of the other LOV characters, Spinner's problems were caused by being discriminated because of his Quirk, which while it isn't directly related to hero society, there is a connection because Quirks and Heroes are intimately tied together.

Dabi, if we are right on the money, is a direct product of what Hero society did to Endeavor.

And Compress... we'll get back to you on that.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I've said it before, but at this point I hope we never get a backstory for Compress. Just have him be this weird street performer who got hired by the League during their recruitment drive and has just kind of been going with the flow ever since.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Junpei posted:

Tbf to what we know of the other LOV characters, Spinner's problems were caused by being discriminated because of his Quirk, which while it isn't directly related to hero society, there is a connection because Quirks and Heroes are intimately tied together.

the best example of this was way back at the sports festival when shinso was internally salty that he didn’t have deku’s quirk while deku was mangling himself

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rhonne posted:

I've said it before, but at this point I hope we never get a backstory for Compress. Just have him be this weird street performer who got hired by the League during their recruitment drive and has just kind of been going with the flow ever since.

I really hope so as well. Have everyone else have their tragic backstories and then Compress...he just has to pay the bills, man. Magic shows aren't exactly all that popular when everyone has superpowers.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rhonne posted:

The doctor just wants to perform highly unethical human experiments on people, who are we to judge?
I don't want to cure cancer, I want to make ungodly abominations out of random people and this pair of shoes.

Rhonne posted:

Mt. Lady is another example of a "selfish" hero who moved to the city so she could be more rich and famous even though her quirk would be better suited for more rural areas where there are less buildings in the way and even she was shown to put her life(and face) on the line in order to save Bakugou during the rescue operation.

Hell, Mt. Lady busts her rear end even harder to save people because her agency is constantly in the red to pay for the property damage her Quirk causes.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

It is funny to imagine the tragic decline of the magician business as quirks became more commonplace. Everything has a price.

Now I'm really hoping that's Compress's entire story and motivation.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
But that'd be borrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Compress was taunting the kids on the field trip about how they’re all gonna die, dude wears a ski mask under his wacky masks. There’s NO way he isn’t the most batshit of them all

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

What do you wear under your wacky masks, captain judgmental?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, I'm definitely supposed to be getting Supaidaman vibes from The Crawler, right? Like, his whole speech thing reminds me of the whole "emissary from Hell" thing Takuya does.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

oh jay posted:

Well, yeah, that's why Stain's philosophy was shown as resonating with tons of people. Despite Stain being a crazy rear end in a top hat murderer, his core point - heroes should be focused primarily on heroism - hit enough people that they started thinking about it.

There's a sane gradient between "heroes must be utterly self-sacrificing perfect paragons who receive no compensation for their efforts and must work entirely out of pure altruism" and "heroes are encouraged to self-promote and market their image to the point where one of the main class's characters spends an entire internship not interacting with hero duties and instead doing self-promotion and PR work".

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

hosed up that Twice went evil. We could've had thousands of All Mights all over Japan. Imagine an All Might at KFC and as a traffic guard and doing construction work and

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Kanos posted:

Well, yeah, that's why Stain's philosophy was shown as resonating with tons of people. Despite Stain being a crazy rear end in a top hat murderer, his core point - heroes should be focused primarily on heroism - hit enough people that they started thinking about it.

There's a sane gradient between "heroes must be utterly self-sacrificing perfect paragons who receive no compensation for their efforts and must work entirely out of pure altruism" and "heroes are encouraged to self-promote and market their image to the point where one of the main class's characters spends an entire internship not interacting with hero duties and instead doing self-promotion and PR work".

But other than Stain, there's really no indication within the story that merchandising detracts from a Hero's ability to do their job. Snake Lady showed up during the Kamino incident. Mt Lady was lowkey the MVP of the Kamino incident, despite being introduced as incredibly greedy and fame-seeking. And of course All Might seemed to be the most commercialized Hero all the while being the Symbol of Peace. The PR thing doesn't seem to have anything to do with how good or bad a hero is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kanos posted:

Maybe that would land more and seem like an actual prevalent societal issue if we got to see any of that internship beyond like a couple of pages. Similarly, Stain's philosophy might seem more sensible if the only one of his victims we knew anything about wasn't a genuinely noble and heroic person who got into the business because he thought helping people was a good and worthwhile thing to do.

Every aspect of hero work we get a good extended look at, shows the people involved to be pretty cool and heroic. Mt Lady is introduced as shallow and concerned with popularity but when we actually get to see her work she's putting her life on the line and being pretty cool. Endeavor is shown to be effective and concerned with the safety of innocents, and he's a good teacher too.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

RareAcumen posted:

hosed up that Twice went evil. We could've had thousands of All Mights all over Japan. Imagine an All Might at KFC and as a traffic guard and doing construction work and

Imagine being able to weaponize Deku clones. Yeah they goopify after one attack, but bang for buck that's your best choice right now if you're Twice on the hero's team.

I wonder if they'd have trouble convincing the Deku clones it's okay to blow up their limbs. Probably not. The heroics of this concept are dubious

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Deku would not need any convincing to destroy his limbs.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Shere posted:

Imagine being able to weaponize Deku clones. Yeah they goopify after one attack, but bang for buck that's your best choice right now if you're Twice on the hero's team.

I wonder if they'd have trouble convincing the Deku clones it's okay to blow up their limbs. Probably not. The heroics of this concept are dubious

Punching someone exactly once would probably kill Twice clone Dekus from feedback trauma. Like bees.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shere posted:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Deku would not need any convincing to destroy his limbs.

Yeah Deku would be all for it.

The real question is if they'd all get a hivemind style update from original Deku deciding to care more about his body being broken every time he throws a punch than his usual 'eh' opinion on it.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Poltergrift posted:

Punching someone exactly once would probably kill Twice clone Dekus from feedback trauma. Like bees.

Yes precisely! Bees that can punch hard enough to temporarily disturb the local weather.

Missed opportunity for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

"Criminals are evil because they didn't experience puberty properly."

That's certainly... a theory, Midnight. Then again, I guess there is Toga.