Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

wmotyc: brock lesnar vs. drew mcintyre, mania night 2

At least it was short unlike the Edge v. Orton match. Definitely suffered by going on after the Funhouse match as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

So with Drew/Brock successfully nominated for Worst Match, it looks like the two nights of Wrestlemania gave us 2 MOTYCs and 3 WMOTYCs (all 3 came on Night 2) meaning overall it was a worse show than it was good. Man those highs though :allears:

Do the MOTYCs count if they were more Lucha Underground style than WWE?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

fez_machine posted:

Do the MOTYCs count if they were more Lucha Underground style than WWE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SpA0BzJFBI

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Wrestlemania is the anti-Wrestle Kingdom

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MOTYC: THE FIRELY FUNHOUSE, WRESTLEMANIA, 05/04

10*

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: THE FIRELY FUNHOUSE, WRESTLEMANIA, 05/04

10*

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I would like to nominate the Kevin Owens/Seth Rollins match from Day 1 of Wrestlemania for an Honorable Mention.

here's why you should nth this nomination:

1) Storytelling. The only match so far on the card where the wrestlers actually talked to each other during the match and it was related to their ongoing feud
2) The Twist. They looked like they were doing the lovely non-finish, but KO decided gently caress that and declared the match no-dq.
2a) Yes, this makes no loving sense. Who cares, it's wrestling dammit!
2b) This may be a trope in the WW Universe now. I haven't watched their programming in YEARS
2c) They had some real good moments after this or I wouldn't be making this post
3) Huh, ring steps go "Boooong" when they hit someone's head. you really notice that in a silent arena
4) Huh, the ring bell actually goes "Bing" when you skull someone with it. who knew?
4a) Brain me with a ring bell will you? Howsabout I brain YOU!
5) "Wrestlemania. Moment."

Match really dragged at points, and I know we're not allowed liking Seth around here, but I had such a good time I wanted to talk about it!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

I would like to nominate the Kevin Owens/Seth Rollins match from Day 1 of Wrestlemania for an Honorable Mention.

1) Storytelling. The only match so far on the card where the wrestlers actually talked to each other during the match and it was related to their ongoing feud
2) The Twist. They looked like they were doing the lovely non-finish, but KO decided gently caress that and declared the match no-dq.
2b) This may be a trope in the WW Universe now. I haven't watched their programming in YEARS
2c) They had some real good moments after this or I wouldn't be making this post
3) Huh, ring steps go "Boooong" when they hit someone's head. you really notice that in a silent arena
4) Huh, the ring bell actually goes "Bing" when you skull someone with it. who knew?

Match really dragged at points, and I know we're not allowed liking Seth around here, but I had such a good time I wanted to talk about it!

Nth for sure.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jonny Nox posted:

I know we're not allowed liking Seth around here

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

N to The Bone Zone, Wrestlemania, 2 days ago. Feeling slightly attacked that these mini-movies count as MOTY candidates but my attempt to vote in Machu Picchu out of GLOW as one of the 10 best wrestlers of all time was rejected.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

HM
6/4
All Japan Pro Wrestling
Suwama & Kento Miyahara & Zeus vs Shuji Ishikawa & Jake Lee & Yuma Aoyagi

Believe this show is going to be put on YouTube so keep an eye open for that. This was a really fun 6 man tag that basically devolved into a Suwama and Ishikawa singles match by the end and that ruled. I'm right on the border of HM and MOTYC.

It also had a surprisingly good atmosphere for an empty arena match (whole show really)

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 6, 2020

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

it's a good image.

HM: AEW Dynamite 4/1/20 - Trent? vs. Kenny Omega. It's really hard to give out MOTYCs to empty arena things but this sent me. I wanted to believe. The 20 minute time limit on non-title matches has been used so well in AEW!!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Jonny Nox posted:

nth.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
rest of my wm picks:

HM: Sami Zayn w/Cesaro and Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Daniel Bryan w/Drew Gulak for the Intercontinental Championship at Wrestlemania 36.
HM: John Morrison (hey hey, ho ho) vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Jimmy Uso for the Smackdown Tag Team Championship at Wrestlemania 36.
HM: Street Profits vs. Angel Garza and Austin Theory for the Raw Tag Team Championship at Wrestlemania 36.

zayn/bryan and ko/seth imo worked better without a crowd almost, and the others were just solid enough matches.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I just want to make sure I知 right on something - Orton-Edge was about five minutes longer than the stare off portion of that Shiozaki match, and was far more boring than that half of the match?

I知 going to have to hate watch this.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Punch McLightning posted:

You really don't

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Punch McLightning posted:

I just want to make sure I知 right on something - Orton-Edge was about five minutes longer than the stare off portion of that Shiozaki match, and was far more boring than that half of the match?

I watched the last two minutes of the match on reddit and even at 1.5x speed it was unbearably slow and drawn out. I can't imagine a full 40 minutes of that poo poo.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
MOTYC: The Undertaker vs AJ Styles: Boneyard Match (Wrestlemania: Night 1, April 4th)
MOTYC: Bray Wyatt vs John Cena: Firefly Funhouse (Wrestlemania: Night 2, April 5th)

In both these matches WWE proved when backed into a corner they can produce good content, and despite them being nothing like a traditional wrestling show, I was completely entertained by both matches. They were more cinematic and heavily inspired by Lucha Underground/Matt Hardy than anything else and looked more in place in the middle of a normal TV show than a WWE event but for the first time in a long time, WWE went outside the box and put everything they had into two feuds that had completely satisfying payoffs. If they did this style once in a blue moon and let the WWE talent exercise their creativity like this more often they wouldn't be in such a downward spiral now.

It can be argued these weren't "wrestling" matches but WWE themselves claims to be Sports Entertainment, and if this is the future of Sports Entertainment I'm cautiously optimistic for the future. The caution comes because anytime something gets way over with the WWE bubble, Vince starts to get more hands-on and almost immediately ruins everything about what made the original moment fun (Like: CM Punk's Pipebomb, Zack Ryder's organic rise, "Fandangoing", The Broken Universe which had commentators turning on it in REAL TIME, et all.) WWE has hasn't had good follow-ups to truly great organic moments in the modern era, that pretty much died with the end of the Attitude Era and Death of WCW.

WMOTYC: Edge vs Randy Orton: Last Man Standing (Wrestlemania: Night 2, April 5th)
On the other side of this coin is absolutely the worst "Last Man Standing" match I've ever seen in my life, by miles. They turned what should have been the bloodiest feud of the weekend into a slow, heatless, uneventful match and had all the time and resources to make it great. The optics of hanging someone by gym equipment literally two weeks after the Benoit documentary came out was so tasteless and braindead and the rest of it was horrible. They had all the time to do the same thing they did with Cena/Orton as far as callbacks to their career highlights and did nothing but a really stupid looking conchairto on top of a truck. They could have put in all SORTS of highlights and moments, like Edge's TLC matches, his hardcore match against Foley, or Orton's own hardcore match against Foley and at least make this a little more violent than hanging off a cage ceiling in a conference room 4 feet tall and selling an elbow drop like it came off a Hell in the Cell match.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC - Go Shiozaki (c) vs Kazuyuki Fujita for the GHC Heavyweight Championship - NOAH 20th Anniversary - NOAH The Chronicle (3/29)

Absolutely insane and surreal match that you owe it to yourself to watch unspoiled. From the THIRTY MINUTE staredown that opened to the match to the five minute headlock, to Fujita chugging loving hand sanitizer to the tour of Korakuen Hall to Fujita repeatedly kicking Go right in the head to Go repeatedly clotheslining him into defeat with two minutes left on the clock

It was a very special match and I'm not sure we'll see anything like it again.

I should watched it a week ago and it needs hardly needs my vote. But I want to at least have a little say even if I totally missed when it was the talk of the town. So consider this an nth

Knowing what happens the start of this is kind of weird. I wish I went in unspoiled but ho hum. But even then it still wasn't what I expected, I thought they'd be circling around each other but nope. It was so weird though, they did so little. I wouldn't want to watch it again but I'm kind of glad I did sit through it, even if I watched with one eye on the phone and saw the first half of the staring before today's AJPW show (couldn't just skip past Harada vs Ogawa!) & the second half just now as I watched the rest of the match. But this is all well trodden ground. Wanna talk about the actual action. I loved the start after the first takedown, with Fujita holding down Shiozaki and just challenging him to get up while constantly yapping away, felt like he was challenging Go to grab the ropes & he wouldn't. Eventually he gets back up after what felt like 5 minutes, goes back down again and this time he uses the rope break and it feels like a small victory for Fujita. And then the camera catches a glimpse of Shiozaki's bloody mouth. I loved when NOSAWA & Suzuki stopped their team mate when he tried to steal the title. Fujita needs his head checked for drinking that hand wash. And then they all pile down the stairs & the ref just gives up counting. It just gets wilder & wilder.

When this match was first announced waaaaaaay back at (I think) the January 30th Global Jr League Finals (and holy gently caress do the last 2 months feel more like 5 or 6) I was looking forward to it, they'd had some fierce and fun interactions in a tag match on that show & yet this was still great & totally not what I expected. Parts of it were, the matwork, the stiff clotheslines, but god. So different than my expectations in the best way. I super hope NOAH can capitalise on this getting a lot of attention when the crowds come back, Shiozaki deserves eyes on him. NOAH deserves eyes on it. Might be the promotion I'm enjoying the most this year.

HM
29/3
Pro Wrestling NOAH
GHC Jr Heavyweight Title
Yoshinari Ogawa vs Daisuke Harada

Totally got overlooked but this was a fun junior match that probably went a bit long but these 2 have a great rivalry & Ogawa is another one of the seeming legion of 50 year old plus Japanese wrestlers still going out there & being very good.

HM
29/3
Pro Wrestling NOAH
GHC National Title
Takashi Sugiura vs Minoru Tanaka

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

You really don't

I need to make an informed WMOTYC decision.

Anyway:

HM: Jordan Devlin vs. Tyler Breeze, NXT, 2/5

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i started watching Orton/Edge today and just stopped after 10 minutes. It's the opposite of a good hate watch. It's just two dudes very competently doing a lot of boring poo poo forever.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Teddybear posted:

MOTY: Undertaker vs. AJ Styles, Wrestlemania 36 Night 1

MOTY: Bray Wyatt vs. John Cena, Wrestlemania 36 Night 2

WMOTY: Edge vs. Randy Orton, Wrestlemania 36 Night 2

Nth. Throw another one on the pile.

What a terrible mistake Mania 36 was. What would have turned chicken poo poo into chicken salad would be if EVERY match was filmed like the BONEZONE and Firefly Funhouse. Just go bonkers. Imagine a highly produced and ridiculous 3way Ladder match? It would have been great. Instead we got incredibly boring matches that completely exposed the business for no good reason except for that Vince is a stubborn lunatic.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
HM: Team High Risk vs. The Young Bucks, Being the Elite April 06, 2020.

A match I found super fun with some actually cool offense from the jobber team (with that being part of the story), it might have just been the AEW California peeps showcasing their creativity while unable to get to the Dynamite taping site.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

karmicknight posted:

A match I found super fun with some actually cool offense from the jobber team (with that being part of the story), it might have just been the AEW California peeps showcasing their creativity while unable to get to the Dynamite taping site.

Nth

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

karmicknight posted:

I'll vote for this.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

karmicknight posted:

I'll nth this as well since it was a lot of fun. I laughed at the one balding jobber with tassels on his pants but then he did a one-footed springboard flip dive. And it was a :siren: Young Bucks match with psychology :siren:.

Good stuff all around.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It was so good hearing Excalibur on commentary again :unsmith:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It was so good hearing Excalibur on commentary again :unsmith:

If they're doing taped matches, I hope they take the opportunity to get Excalibur to call a few. Not sure how practical a two man booth would be over the web, but getting Taz on there too would be good.

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!
HM: Dowie James vs. Will Ospreay - MCW (Melbourne City Wrestling) Vendetta, 11 Jan 2020

A couple of days ago, MCW shared that they were taking part in WrestleTalk Showcase: INDYMANIA, a fundraiser to support independent wrestling promotions around the world following the cancellation of events over WrestleMania weekend. I actually missed going to Vendetta earlier this year, so it was good to be able to watch and enjoy this match. Obviously, Ospreay is Ospreay, and Dowie has long been one of my favourite wrestlers, so if you've got a few minutes, then check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVVNoixn0WI&t=8455s

If you want to support this cause, click here. If you want to see more MCW, they have an on-demand service for A$8.99/month

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

karmicknight posted:

:yeah:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
MOTYC: Hikaru Shida vs Britt Baker - AEW Dynamite 4/8

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

HM Britt Baker vs Hikaru Shider - AEW Dynamite - April 8th

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

TTBF posted:

HM Britt Baker vs Hikaru Shider - AEW Dynamite - April 8th

nth

Trying