Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gonzo McFee posted:

Dead men don't stand for PM.

Given that just means we get another of this shower of fucks as PM instead what's the functional difference, y'know?

Still, sic semper moronis and all that. I'm trying not to gloat because it's bad for my insides, but I'm already pre-emptively screaming at all the people in my life who are going to be furious at me for not Appropriately Mourning For Our Brave Boris

EDIT drat it's been awhile since I've had to do a history snype 82 BC Vercingetorix was born, I chose him cause he has a funny asterix name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

Everyone clap for Tinkerbell.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'll be making GBS threads and farting out of my arsehole at 8pm in support of Jòris Bonestorm

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

#FistYourUrethraForBoJo

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Gravastars posted:

Everyone clap for Tinkerbell.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Orthopedics is basically woodwork/metalwork but with more surgical masks.

There was historically a problem with orthopaedic surgeons losing the screwdrivers that match bone implants, and just using one from home instead.

This causes problems because if the metal composition isn't the same, the tiny filings of metal that come off when you tighten up the screws form a battery in the salty electrolyte of plasma and you get galvanic corrosion of the implants, and whatever metal ions leaking out. Bad times.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

jaete posted:

But international law right now states that Brexit will happen. That's the default. Where is the will & energy on 1) UK side 2) EU side to enter negotiations to make it not happen?

I haven't heard a peep about Brexit in any media in like a month, and my reading is that this Covid19 bullshit is making Brexit much more likely, not less. Cancelling Brexit would take a significant amount of first caring about it in the first place, and then actually devoting especially-now-scarce resources into trying to reverse or delay it, in both UK and EU

The reasoning that I have seen is that moving the actualization date to later is easier to accomplish than negotiating a soft Brexit and that a hard Brexit would be unbearable for both parties under the forthcoming economic depression. COVID+Hard Brexit is not 1929 bad, it's Germany after 30 years war bad.

Of course this doesn't mean that they manage not to bungle it up, but maybe without Bojo something fortunate happens.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Whoever guessed Trump would be trying to finish Johnson off with an anti-malariarial overdose was predictably correct. He's been on television pushing Johnson to take what I can only guess would be a massive Chloraquine suppository. If Boris does pull through, Trump will probably be boasting for weeks about how he personally saved his life.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

i hope he is being helped by a diverse group of nurses and doctors from all backgrounds, many of which he has encouraged racism towards, so that if he does recover he has a new sense of respect, humanity and decency.

Hahaahahahahahaha

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

While it's the obvious and expected approach it's so obviously tempting fate to have all the big Tories going on TV screaming about how solid the continuity of government is and how smooth the transition to Raab in charge was.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ratjaculation posted:

i hope he is being helped by a diverse group of nurses and doctors from all backgrounds, many of which he has encouraged racism towards, so that if he does recover he has a new sense of respect, humanity and decency.

Hahaahahahahahaha

Maybe they will secretly transplant someone else's brain into his head whilst he's under.

One can only hope.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Maybe they will gently caress with his pain meds so everything hurts.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

namesake posted:

While it's the obvious and expected approach it's so obviously tempting fate to have all the big Tories going on TV screaming about how solid the continuity of government is and how smooth the transition to Raab in charge was.

yeah basically every member of the cabinet is either going to come down with it imminently or is a carrier

i think they still havent really grasped what the virus is

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DVATW/status/1247424143219359744

David Vance remains the dumbest motherfucker on Twitter, a remarkable achievement he shares with the people who follow him and are queueing up to report this joke to the GMC.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

Maybe they will gently caress with his pain meds so everything hurts.

he's in a chemical coma i doubt he's feeling much

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Communist Thoughts posted:

he's in a chemical coma i doubt he's feeling much

Nah he's still running the country, doing a shift.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/DVATW/status/1247424143219359744

David Vance remains the dumbest motherfucker on Twitter, a remarkable achievement he shares with the people who follow him and are queueing up to report this joke to the GMC.

https://mobile.twitter.com/adamndsmith/status/1247433663429705728

All extremely amusing

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ronya posted:

Labour did in fact go to the election with the very tensely-negotiated commitment in 2017 that freedom of movement will end, something Ed "Controls on Immigration mugs" Miliband didn't countenance in the slightest.

I thought this was simply a statement of fact. The 2017 position was that we will Brexit. Brexit means the end of EU freedom of movement, by definition. What was left fuzzy was what would replace that.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

There is a 8pm ‘clap for Boris’ thing tonight doing the rounds on social media - I wonder if people will leave politics aside and go for this ? I’m not his biggest fan but given the alternatives and what he’s done since he’s been PM, he gets my support at this time of ill health.

Right now in this global situation countries need their leaders to do exactly that, lead.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lmao this has to be like the 5th time that HK had gotten gammons riled up with this ruse, and it's great every time.

https://twitter.com/Hamberdlerer/status/1247448179018268673?s=19

New thread title pls

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Wizard Master posted:

There is a 8pm ‘clap for Boris’ thing tonight doing the rounds on social media - I wonder if people will leave politics aside and go for this ? I’m not his biggest fan but given the alternatives and what he’s done since he’s been PM, he gets my support at this time of ill health.

Right now in this global situation countries need their leaders to do exactly that, lead.

Living in Scotland, I feel confident I won't hear any clapping. Possibly laughter and bagpipes

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wizard Master posted:

Source your quotes

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The DPRK posted:

April 8th is my birthday, also the day Kurt Cobain and Margaret Thatcher died.

Also my 5th wedding anniversary. :)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Wizard Master posted:

If anyone on my street claps I am going to spit at them from my window

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Wizard Master posted:

No. I will not clap for him. Partially because it is performative bollocks, partially because we didn't "leave politics aside" for all the people who have died already of Covid. Partially because what is a "leader" supposed to do? Because it is fairly obvious that whatever they are supposed to do, Boris sure as hell hasn't been doing it.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Boris is going to heaven
Tonight at 8pm everyone wish his soul good luck as it leaves his body
Goodnight sweet prince

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'll be ripping a huge fart at 8pm for our Bojo.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Relevant to the interests of this thread

https://www.facebook.com/1646454205484250/posts/2579213302208331/

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Someone check in with chumbawumba, I'm sure they have a song in reserve.

poo poo, at this rate, they'd need to write a whole album of sendoffs as his successors drop one by one in a year-of-four- emperors type scenario

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
If I may interrupt the Boris death chat, are there any comparative study of austerity vs if austerity had not been taken.

I'm having a conversation with someone who doesn't believe austerity increased or hastened the the mortality rate, when I gave him various studies he retorted that doing nothing would have killed more, I tried to explain it wasn't an either or moment.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

Does anyone know what Geldof is at war with? If it's chocolate bars I'm intereste in the story. I don't want to look at their website though

Also probably because i'm using a laptop in bed with no glasses on (or anything else :heysexy:) but i thoughtthat was a picture of Camilla Parker Bowles on first glance

quote:

BOB Geldof doesn’t mince his words.
And this time he’s given snowflakes a piece of his mind.
The Pc-mad brigade have had the gall to attack Do They Know It’s Christmas?
They claim the lyrics promote the idea of celebrities being “white saviours”. What a load of nonsense.
Bob has rightly told these idiots where to go.
The charity tune raised famine relief. It also paved other fundraising singles,
Comic Relief and Live Aid.
The money raised has changed – millions of lives.
Bob’s pioneering efforts and determination should be applauded – not criticised by moaners deliberately searching for anything by which they can be offended.
The miserable minority need down and come to their senses.
There are far more important things worth worrying about at the moment.
Taking a dig at a great fundraising cause like this is just sad.
Get a grip.
So the worthless oval office who deliberately kept funding a genocide even after he was told by experts it was killing more people than it was helping is (allegedly) mad that people are laughing at his 40 year old stupid as poo poo celebrity group masturbation effort.

And it's not even Christmas. :shrug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MonkeyLibFront posted:

If I may interrupt the Boris death chat, are there any comparative study of austerity vs if austerity had not been taken.

I'm having a conversation with someone who doesn't believe austerity increased or hastened the the mortality rate, when I gave him various studies he retorted that doing nothing would have killed more, I tried to explain it wasn't an either or moment.

Send him the photo of the guy who starved to death after his benefits were unjustly removed, and ask if that man would have died if not for austerity.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/MaraWilson/status/1247241272143704064

This is either a pretty good deliberate slam, or an amazing accidental slam.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

MonkeyLibFront posted:

he retorted that doing nothing would have killed more

The gently caress does he mean by that? Doing nothing would have meant that existing spending would have continued, which demonstrably would have helped more people.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

MonkeyLibFront posted:

https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/health-and-social-care-spending-cuts-linked-to-120000-excess-deaths-in-england/

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

feedmegin posted:

I thought this was simply a statement of fact. The 2017 position was that we will Brexit. Brexit means the end of EU freedom of movement, by definition. What was left fuzzy was what would replace that.

No - there was always the possibility of the common market, or a common market, and a corresponding embrace of four freedoms including freedom of movement. Demanding both "exact same benefits" of the customs union and also demanding an end to freedom of movement was the Government strategy, however.

This would eventually blow up in May's face (as we know) but whilst May lasted, the opposition likewise decided not to risk a strategy attacking the government on its impossible demands and instead opted to play along to make the Tories own their Toryxit (this was a strategy much promoted ITT as well, remember?). Starmer's six tests launched just before the election made this explicit. Condition two was access to the common market. Condition three was controls on immigration.

Labour did not want to wind up being the scapegoat for whatever Mayxit turned out to be... this wasn't some statutory obligation or international agreement, it was a party political strategy formed in the aftermath of the Scottish referendum, where Labour in opposition had been pinned by what terms the coalition govt decided the Scottish referendum would be fought on, and had promptly paid the price for in GE2015. One can argue about its pros/cons as a strategy, but it remains that it was an unforced strategic choice

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

i'll be on my doorstep tonight for the BJ applause, but i'll be noting house numbers of clappers for 'future endeavours'

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
If people clap tonight Im going to drink myself to death so I can slap Boris in hell.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

might write a facebook post saying that sound aves from claps travel at exactly 14.32khz, aka the activation frequency for coronavirus attached to airbourne dust particles. Don't clap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ronya posted:

No - there was always the possibility of the common market, or a common market, and a corresponding embrace of four freedoms including freedom of movement.

I don't remember Labour ruling this out? EU Freedom Of Movement all caps was always going to go, unless we cancelled Brexit altogether. Labour stated this as a matter of fact, not something to be revelling in the streets about. 'A Common Market' New Immigration Agreement wasn't, as far as I'm aware, off the table.

Of course, it's all a bit academic now.