Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Old Boot posted:

It's not, and a lot of people are going to die for it.

Like I can't even be glib about it, and it's hard to articulate how this feels. Like there are no poo poo vultures that stood by waiting for this to happen, for Evers to 'cave' and try and make an executive order to stop what was about to happen, and used the opportunity afforded to them by someone saying 'maybe people shouldn't die like this' to wedge their foot in the door. They knew the same court they concentrated all the power in prior to his taking office would rule in their favor.

We all saw that coming. But the SCOTUS hit that came after it?

It's not that I was ever unaware of how craven the GOP was. I just feel like I'm in a state of shock at the moment, and pretty much have been all night.

EDIT: The sheer amount of despair coming from other Wisconsinites this morning is pretty intense right now. I'm gonna go have a drink.

If you wait till 3pm I'll join you for one.

So Navarro was warning about this pretty strongly in January.

https://www.axios.com/exclusive-navarro-deaths-coronavirus-memos-january-da3f08fb-dce1-4f69-89b5-ea048f8382a9.html

quote:

In late January, President Trump's economic adviser Peter Navarro warned his White House colleagues the novel coronavirus could take more than half a million American lives and cost close to $6 trillion, according to memos obtained by Axios.

The state of play: By late February, Navarro was even more alarmed, and he warned his colleagues, in another memo, that up to two million Americans could die of the virus.

Navarro's grim estimates are set out in two memos — one dated Jan. 29 and addressed to the National Security Council, the other dated Feb. 23 and addressed to the president. The NSC circulated both memos around the White House and multiple agencies.
In the first memo, which the New York Times was first to report on, Navarro makes his case for "an immediate travel ban on China."
The second lays the groundwork for supplemental requests from Congress, with the warning: "This is NOT a time for penny-pinching or horse trading on the Hill."

January 29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Woofer posted:

Ok Trump supporter.

lol ok... what do I even call you? Defeatist, compromising coward?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/lizzkatherine_/status/1247291781978431489?s=21

Institutional racism is a hell of a thing to behold.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

As a Louisianian the only surprise there was that it was only 70%

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

lol ok... what do I even call you? Defeatist, compromising coward?

If you’re voting for a third party candidate then you are supporting trump’s reelection.

Good job, Trump supporter.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

That Works posted:

As a Louisianian the only surprise there was that it was only 70%

Jesus

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Old Boot posted:

It's not, and a lot of people are going to die for it.

It's not that I was ever unaware of how craven the GOP was. I just feel like I'm in a state of shock at the moment, and pretty much have been all night.

EDIT: The sheer amount of despair coming from other Wisconsinites this morning is pretty intense right now. I'm gonna go have a drink.

Yeah, poo poo is insanely hosed. The city of Milwaukee now has 5 polling locations for the entire city of 600,000 people, normally around 180. I'm going to go vote here later because my twice requested absentee ballot was never received. Luckily I've come into the possession of a 5+ year old n95 rated respirator, wish me luck; hopefully the filters still offer some protection.

Regardless of the outcome this election is not legitimate.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Flying_Crab posted:

Yeah, poo poo is insanely hosed. The city of Milwaukee (5 polling locations for the entire city of 600,000 people, normally around 180 polling locations), I'm going to go vote here later because my twice requested absentee ballot was never received. Luckily I've come into the possession of a 5+ year old n95 rated respirator, wish me luck; hopefully the filters still offer some protection.

Regardless of the outcome this election is not legitimate.

I was lucky enough to get mine in time, and dropped it off at around 12am this morning.

Stay safe out there. :( Seriously.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Woofer posted:

If you’re voting for a third party candidate then you are supporting trump’s reelection.

If you're supporting the non green party candidate you're supporting trumps reelection. So there.

Its a stupid argument, either Joe gets enough voters based on his merits or he doesnt, thats the fault of the DNC not the public.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Woofer posted:

If you're voting for Biden then you are condoning corruption, racism, rape, voter suppression, and trump's reelection.

Good job, Biden supporter.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Defenestrategy posted:

If you're supporting the non green party candidate you're supporting trumps reelection. So there.

Its a stupid argument, either Joe gets enough voters based on his merits or he doesnt, thats the fault of the DNC not the public.

If I vote Green Party, does that increase or decrease Trump’s chances for re-election?

I, for one, am a-okay with how things are now and definitely want to stick it to the man instead of, at the very least, trying to slow the skid out of control.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

You're if you're voting for Biden then you are condoning corruption, racism, rape, voter suppression, and trump's reelection.

Good job, Biden supporter.

Did you just “I know you are but what am I?” me?

Uh.. whoever denied it supplied it I guess?

Hope your MAGA hat is nice.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Woofer posted:

I, for one, am a-okay with how things are now

Lmao what

E: my bad, it's early so I got got by a month old troll account.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 7, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919432

Go there for Biden is a lovely candidate chat and please stop making GBS threads up the CE thread.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1247178460675612680?s=19

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Woofer posted:

If I vote Green Party, does that increase or decrease Trump’s chances for re-election?

I, for one, am a-okay with how things are now and definitely want to stick it to the man instead of, at the very least, trying to slow the skid out of control.

If everyone just voted Green Party they'd be elected :downs: I think the difference in perspective is that I believe that Trump isnt some weird new creature, hes just a continuation of Republicans in the vein of Nixon, Reagan, Bush, and Dubya except without the vaneer of respectability. So what does it matter if Joe hits the slow button for eight years, another ones gonna be back and the Human race aint got time for it. Where if the Dems get fuckin stomped they might be mad enough to run someone on a better basis than "was obamas friend" and "eight more years of Obama". Joes still got time to announce legizing weed though so who knows maybe he'll earn my vote in this deep red state.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

That’s why I’m not voting to get trump out of office. I’m sticking it to the man and voting third party.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Sorry, didn't see that guy's reg date till someone pointed it out.

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 7, 2020

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Defenestrategy posted:

If everyone just voted Green Party they'd be elected :downs: I think the difference in perspective is that I believe that Trump isnt some weird new creature, hes just a continuation of Republicans in the vein of Nixon, Reagan, Bush, and Dubya except without the vaneer of respectability. So what does it matter if Joe hits the slow button for eight years, another ones gonna be back and the Human race aint got time for it. Where if the Dems get fuckin stomped they might be mad enough to run someone on a better basis than "was obamas friend" and "eight more years of Obama". Joes still got time to announce legizing weed though so who knows maybe he'll earn my vote in this deep red state.

So vote third party and let Trump run roughshod for another four years (at least). We definitely have time for that I guess.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

SimonCat posted:

And gently caress you too.

Ok, Trump supporter. #MAGA #KAGA hell yeah

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Please take it to the other thread and slapfight about this til your heart is content.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

Please take it to the other thread and slapfight about this til your heart is content.

No. This isn’t the time to have stupid safe spaces for getting trump out of office. People need to be shamed for allowing this poo poo to continue by voting for his re-election.

People are loving dying because of him. God forbid we upset the sanctity of the current events thread.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Flying_Crab posted:

:hmmyes:

Biden is a garbage candidate, but that's all relative. To say there is even a question between Trump and Biden is insane. Now do I think Trump is likely to beat Biden because he's a garbage tier candidate? Yes. Think of it as not voting for Biden but strictly as voting against Trump, even though that's likely to be the reason why Trump might win as Biden offers nothing to vote for.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Woofer posted:

No. This isn’t the time to have stupid safe spaces for getting trump out of office. People need to be shamed for allowing this poo poo to continue by voting for his re-election.

People are loving dying because of him. God forbid we upset the sanctity of the current events thread.

Alright then lets waste another three loving pages going in circles then that sure sounds like fun.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Biden / Bernie / Trump slapfight is boring and not going to go anywhere. You guys are all just gonna point fingers and throw poo poo at each other.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-reportedly-has-financial-interest-in-hydroxychloroquine-manufacturer

quote:

President Donald Trump has a “small financial interest” in the maker of an anti-malarial drug that he has been touting as a “game changer” in treating coronavirus, according to The New York Times. Over the past two weeks, Trump and his Fox News allies have aggressively promoted hydroxychloroquine as a potential cure, despite top infectious-disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci and others urging caution and noting that there was not enough evidence of the drug’s efficacy.

The Times reports the president’s family trusts all have investments in a mutual fund whose largest holding is Sanofi, the manufacturer of Plaquenil, the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine. Associates of the president, including Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, have also run funds that hold investments in the pharmaceutical firm.

Bit weak with the funding being held as part of a mutual fund imo, but there's some reasoning for it nonetheless.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.
Mods?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

Alright then lets waste another three loving pages going in circles then that sure sounds like fun.

Ok what fun current events should we talk about instead?

Here’s a fun one:

https://twitter.com/msnbc/status/1247481919819984901?s=21

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Could also talk about how Wisconsin is deliberately trying to get voters killed, as well.

Or the fact that USA is going to soon pass all of Europe combined for total cases.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Woofer posted:

I for one just want a president that keeps his peccadillos behind closed doors

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Disenfranchisement is a fun topic

https://twitter.com/mjs_dc/status/1247301011947085825?s=21

I hope we get four more years of Trump to put more judges in the SCOTUS.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

PookBear posted:

I for one just want a president that keeps his peccadillos behind closed doors

Biden is lovely.

I hope Trump wins instead. Much better guy.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
STOP ENGAGING THE TROLL ACCOUNT THAT REGGED A MONTH AGO

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I’m Cole. I’ve even posted Monty pictures.

Uninformed just like a trump supporter. Wear the MAGA hat proud.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Cole isn't a troll account. He's been posting here for years.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

Could also talk about how Wisconsin is deliberately trying to get voters killed, as well.

Or the fact that USA is going to soon pass all of Europe combined for total cases.

This

Woofer posted:

Disenfranchisement is a fun topic

https://twitter.com/mjs_dc/status/1247301011947085825?s=21

I hope we get four more years of Trump to put more judges in the SCOTUS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03CPJtSa0nQ

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Yeah "Trump is bad"

Quite the troll

Edit: f,b, it's cole

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

https://twitter.com/AsteadWesley/status/1247504386923933698?s=19

Yep.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Packing the courts is an unalloyed good for society. As it stands right now the right wing of this country has an untouchable veto on any new legislation going forward and the ability to Calvinball any legislation they want in to existence once they divine the "founder's intent" to be whatever happens to align with their beliefs while not having to put a legislator's name that people get the chance to vote for on it. They have the entire country in a nutsack deathgrip and McConnell knows it. Pack the courts, break that grip.

What are Republicans gonna do, pack the courts in response? loving great! Let them. Being worried that people might see them as nakedly politically biased and begin to dismiss their legitimacy is being worried that people might see them for exactly what they are and begin to treat them exactly like they deserve. They loving already are nakedly politically biased and have no legitimacy, there's just ongoing mythical bullshit from a previous era that they're using to cloak the reality of the courts in rah rah go USA beliefs.

Packing them over and over at least gives periods of time where they can be abused by the relatively better side of our political reality to theoretically fix some poo poo rather than what we have now where the only purpose they have is being abused by the worse side to make everything constantly shittier forever. Will this eventually lead to institutional collapse? Yeah, probably. And that's pretty lovely but I still see it as being for the better as it will be an acknowledgment of reality. Can't begin to fix a problem when you're pretending there is no problem. I'm a pessimist at heart and don't believe it will work out great when that happens but at this point, gently caress it, letting the courts die under the weight of their own naked partisanship is the best long shot on the table at fixing them. The alternative is letting them stay broken and unacknowledged as the political tool they are so one side gets to abuse it forever while the other side clings to naive decorum chanting about how there is no problem here, trust the institutions.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

bird food bathtub posted:

Packing the courts is an unalloyed good for society. As it stands right now the right wing of this country has an untouchable veto on any new legislation going forward and the ability to Calvinball any legislation they want in to existence once they divine the "founder's intent" to be whatever happens to align with their beliefs while not having to put a legislator's name that people get the chance to vote for on it. They have the entire country in a nutsack deathgrip and McConnell knows it. Pack the courts, break that grip.

What are Republicans gonna do, pack the courts in response? loving great! Let them. Being worried that people might see them as nakedly politically biased and begin to dismiss their legitimacy is being worried that people might see them for exactly what they are and begin to treat them exactly like they deserve. They loving already are nakedly politically biased and have no legitimacy, there's just ongoing mythical bullshit from a previous era that they're using to cloak the reality of the courts in rah rah go USA beliefs.

Packing them over and over at least gives periods of time where they can be abused by the relatively better side of our political reality to theoretically fix some poo poo rather than what we have now where the only purpose they have is being abused by the worse side to make everything constantly shittier forever. Will this eventually lead to institutional collapse? Yeah, probably. And that's pretty lovely but I still see it as being for the better as it will be an acknowledgment of reality. Can't begin to fix a problem when you're pretending there is no problem. I'm a pessimist at heart and don't believe it will work out great when that happens but at this point, gently caress it, letting the courts die under the weight of their own naked partisanship is the best long shot on the table at fixing them. The alternative is letting them stay broken and unacknowledged as the political tool they are so one side gets to abuse it forever while the other side clings to naive decorum chanting about how there is no problem here, trust the institutions.

Yeah, I do not understand the handwringing bullshit allergy to packing the courts. All it is is :decorum: by another name.

EDIT: Need it even be mentioned how many judges Trump has appointed in the lower federal courts? It's an insane number, and, I'd imagine, one of the primary reasons GOP has been so willing to sit idly by while Trump continuously shits himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Oh my bad, he's an actual death cultist sorry I've never seen one in the wild before.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)