Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Sepist posted:

Price action on /ES seems to be stuck between VWAP (2707) and 2695~. If either one breaks we should see some further movement

aaaaand its here :rms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Stock tanked 10% on this tweet. After their LK call, everyone is gonna pile in their recommendations.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I’m starting to think Cramer has some shorts or puts coming up and desperately needs the market to drop.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

fougera posted:

Shorted SPY at the open.

Looked at the action, jumped into SPXS. Set a tight stop lets gogogogo

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
My 5/15 SPY 215 puts are seeing some life again, but I wish I'd waited two days to buy them. Made a bunch on DAL and GE calls which actually offset my put losses and put me in the green for the first time in a week! :dance:

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Hit Man posted:

Throwing mud at Chinese stocks is finally starting to stick these days.

Its a real loving travesty. Frauds historically get desperate and then expose themselves when the economy turns over. Except this is also China where lying to the US capital markets is the norm. I would not be in any Chinese equities, its only a matter of time before Trump/Congress say enough.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Switched to /ES shorts, economies hosed

e: There's just no buy pressure AT ALL on /ES, this baby is going downnnnnnn

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

TQQQ stopped out, with my luck now we'll see a reversal.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Risky Bisquick posted:

Looked at the action, jumped into SPXS. Set a tight stop lets gogogogo

Positions?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Jack Daniels posted:

lol absolutely it was and is

PARTYS OVER!!!!
This market is so volatile that we'll see both a bear and bull trap on the same day

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

kw0134 posted:

This market is so volatile that we'll see both a bear and bull trap on the same day

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

In @ 13.30, stopped at 13.20. Didn't sell at 13.45 :razz:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Long T and PTON. very long.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

So those who are still holding puts, take a look at your position's losses today vs. yesterday, because I wanna review the math on "delta decreases further otm"

I'm holding may SPY 200 puts, symbol .SPY200515P200 in TOS. Let's look at the close to close movement of SPY from Friday to today (taking whenever I post this as the "close" for both SPY and the put)

Closes:
pre:
SPY     PUT
248.19  2.87
264.86  1.74
273.09  1.34
So from 4/3->4/6 SPY gains ~12.6, and the put loses a substantial chunk of its value, 1.13
From 4/6->4/7 SPY gains 9, and the put loses a smaller portion of its value, 0.4

As you go OTM, delta decreases, which means that OTM options have an assymetric movement compared with the underlying: they gain more than they lose for the same magnitude movement in the underlying.

All the dummies in the back like me appreciate this, I'm still planning my moves out but its gonna happen

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Up to this point I'd been up $10k in my degenerate gambling account, but all these April 17 puts that have lost 90% of their value is gonna change that pretty soon!

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

kw0134 posted:

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Maybe more than one trap!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just put in an order for several $GME 1/01 2021 2.00 puts. It's the blockbuster of video games.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

fougera posted:

Wait for SPY to try 274 again, then fire again. If we make newer highs, so be it, cut losses by end of day. Hopefully instead w e continue to fade and you can book some gains instead.

Battle stations

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Anyone know any interesting buys for the Australian stock market? My friend is looking to invest and hasn't got a clue, and neither do I.

Any helpful twitter links or the like for advice on the Aussie market?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Femtosecond posted:

Up to this point I'd been up $10k in my degenerate gambling account, but all these April 17 puts that have lost 90% of their value is gonna change that pretty soon!

Yeah I'm gonna lose 90% of what I had, and 60% of what I put in.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Maybe I should stick to passive investing

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I’m waving the white flag. Sold my more recent buy for a 20% loss, and my others are so down that I might as well hold onto them as lottos. Fortunately, my earlier puts, scalps and long purchases keep the damage from being too bad.

I’m doing well on the stock selection front. I should probably just forget about buying options and stick to stocks and covered sales.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Inner Light posted:

Business, Finance, and Careers › Stock Trading: Maybe I should stick to passive investing

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
ok out of my 2900 4/17 insurance calls except 2 lottery tickets, number can go down now please and thank you

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm still up on gambling account, yesterday peeled 100% of my gains off into CCL and NCHL.

Today have up on a day trade, back to triple digit ultra short term options.

Spain and Washington state are giving strong signs the covid peak has passed.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

fougera posted:

Battle stations

Bought more. Same securities.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fougera posted:

Bought more. Same securities.
SPY puts? What expiration/strike?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I'm still up on gambling account, yesterday peeled 100% of my gains off into CCL and NCHL.

Today have up on a day trade, back to triple digit ultra short term options.

Spain and Washington state are giving strong signs the covid peak has passed.

I mean, as soon as things are opened back up, COVID will peak again. There has been no development of the infrastructure required to do South Korean style track and trace, no vaccine, and not enough recovered people for herd immunity.

I'm not sure many investors realize this, market should be flat or down!!!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I wanna buy that may 6th 274 put real bad

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

I mean, as soon as things are opened back up, COVID will peak again. There has been no development of the infrastructure required to do South Korean style track and trace, no vaccine, and not enough recovered people for herd immunity.

People dying is not a reason for the market to go down.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

SPY puts? What expiration/strike?

SPY May 272. Also did EWG 22, EWJ 51, and added XLK 86 a few minutes ago.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

AngryBooch posted:

We aren’t going to any rock concerts any time soon but we’re in a way better place then we were a month ago and our capacity to catch and kill should only continue to improve.

Additionally changes to social norms, even banal poo poo like frequent hand washing will reduce the spread of this thing when we return to some semblance of normalcy

There is reason for some level of optimism.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

Nothing you've said is wrong.

AND, the growth factor has been dropping, so if ALL you are looking at is growth factor, then that picture looks so awesome that it's time to ride the bull train, TOOT TOOT

Since we live in the stupidest of all timelines:

- poo poo's gonna get opened back up eagerly
- Closing back down when that's demonstrated to be folly will be more reluctantly done than the first time
- The only upside will be that some people will have antibodies for weathering COVID-19. That doesn't prevent them from possibly shedding.

I'm weighing rolling puts to July.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fougera posted:

That’s a daytrading type strike on SPY with a non-daytrading expiration. Interesting.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

- poo poo's gonna get opened back up eagerly
- Closing back down when that's demonstrated to be folly will be more reluctantly done than the first time

If we open back up, we're not closing back down again even if cases spike.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

fougera posted:

I'm missing something basic why do you like the 272 vs the 274? OTM vs ITM? How does the difference play out

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

saintonan posted:

If we open back up, we're not closing back down again even if cases spike.

I am more bullish than most of this thread, but I disagree here. I see rolling temporary shutdowns in targeted geographic areas, as needed, becoming the norm for 2020.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

That’s a daytrading type strike on SPY with a non-daytrading expiration. Interesting.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm missing something basic why do you like the 272 vs the 274? OTM vs ITM? How does the difference play out

I've mentioned often I'm not really an options person. I manage a book of equities mostly, so I'm a little wary of doing anything out of the money or shorter term. Open to suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

There's two differences:

- Holding to expiry: the 272 option goes ITM less likely than the 274 option and thus us marginally cheaper to buy.
- Between now and then: The 272 option gains slightly less per contract, per point drop of SPY, AND, gains slightly more per $, per point drop of SPY.