Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ok, then I guess you have to make each floor taller than 4 meters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Back to trains, remember that instead of making dual-headed trains you can also make mini-loops around the end stations. In one end of the station, out the other, then join back onto the main (single) track between the stations.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 4, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cojawfee posted:

Ok, then I guess you have to make each floor taller than 4 meters.

Every building floor I've made has had to be three walls (12m) high anyways. drat constructors are way bigger than they look :argh:

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So, I haven't used trains much yet, but what happens if you have say, 2 trains doing the same route and the second one arrives at the station while the first is still unloading? Does it just pass through and completely mess up the schedule?

Also, does anyone know the maximum height you can build to? I've started building a new skybase, but I wonder if I might have started a bit too high. According to the interactive map it's at 193m and I like building multifloor factories. Want to make sure I'm fine making things 10 floors high (1 floor being 12 meters or 3 foundations).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's no max build height, just a height where you start taking damage from the skybox. You would have to actively try to build that high - it's well past the point where you can't see the ground anymore.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
timecoded to the part where he drives a truck off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB_qZItCCLI&t=272s

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I am sure that I am late to the party, but I just discovered slide jumping on my own without prior knowledge. And it owns so much.

Also : gently caress quartz.

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009
Tired of running out of power I decided to build a big nuclear power plant.
30 reactors why not....

That was 3 weeks ago.
I am getting close now, poducing fuel rods already and building the nuclear reactors now.

this game

Mynameismud fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 5, 2020

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Game's addictive.

Good things I like about it :

1) You never lose any resources, except on ammo. You replace a conveyor? You get the old resources back. You dismantle a building to move it somewhere else? You get 100% of the cost back. I love that because it puts very little pressure on me to do things in the most optimal way since I won't lose anything if I scrap it all and redo it all.
2) Conveyors don't need power. So glad that's the case, holy poo poo. Realism be damned it's better this way.
3) I love how it rewards exploration with power slugs because that's encouraged me to get out and actually explore the world beyond simply beelining to the next resource I need.
4) ITS PURTY

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

khy posted:

Game's addictive.

Good things I like about it :

1) You never lose any resources, except on ammo. You replace a conveyor? You get the old resources back. You dismantle a building to move it somewhere else? You get 100% of the cost back. I love that because it puts very little pressure on me to do things in the most optimal way since I won't lose anything if I scrap it all and redo it all.
2) Conveyors don't need power. So glad that's the case, holy poo poo. Realism be damned it's better this way.
3) I love how it rewards exploration with power slugs because that's encouraged me to get out and actually explore the world beyond simply beelining to the next resource I need.
4) ITS PURTY

As far as #3, the power slugs are a modest encouragement to explore, but the real pudding's in the hard drives. Hard drives can be recovered from crashed ships, and then when researched in the MAM, give you a choice of 3 alternate recipes from a big list. Sometimes all 3 choices suck, but usually there's at least one that can help you out by simplifying inputs to a process or letting you make something entirely new.

One of my favorites lets you make rotors out of steel pipe and copper wire. The same thing you make stators out of. Stators and rotors combine to motors, so now my motor factory ONLY needs steel pipe and copper wire going in to have motors coming out. Fewer belts for me to have to spam, and it takes regular iron out of the process entirely.

Also good are the variant screw recipes so you can make screws directly out of iron ingots instead of futzing with the intermediary iron rods, or use steel girders to make a whole buncha screws real fast (as recompense for the input material being more expensive.)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

chairface posted:

As far as #3, the power slugs are a modest encouragement to explore, but the real pudding's in the hard drives. Hard drives can be recovered from crashed ships, and then when researched in the MAM, give you a choice of 3 alternate recipes from a big list. Sometimes all 3 choices suck, but usually there's at least one that can help you out by simplifying inputs to a process or letting you make something entirely new.

One of my favorites lets you make rotors out of steel pipe and copper wire. The same thing you make stators out of. Stators and rotors combine to motors, so now my motor factory ONLY needs steel pipe and copper wire going in to have motors coming out. Fewer belts for me to have to spam, and it takes regular iron out of the process entirely.

Also good are the variant screw recipes so you can make screws directly out of iron ingots instead of futzing with the intermediary iron rods, or use steel girders to make a whole buncha screws real fast (as recompense for the input material being more expensive.)

The random element of harddrive recipes kinda turned me off from getting many. I got some good ones for basic stuff like screws but every time I do a little exploring I never have whatever I need to open the pod so I don't bother coming back. It feels like the difference in production time doesn't outweigh the running around checking pods. Also I hate fighting stuff in this game, it makes things challenging early on and gates stuff which is nice, but becomes a chore later. They should make like pheromone spray you can temporarily make stuff passive.

Still my biggest peeve about this game is only one suit mod slot. The jetpack is basically all you need, but you can't wear the gas mask or hazmat at same time which sucks, and really wish I could get the speed and jump height of the blade runners with the jetpack so I could travel extra quickly.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

chairface posted:

Another big reason to explore for those hard drives are the random materials spread around the wrecks. A few computers, Heavy Modular Frames or even motors can really help early on. Either with hub upgrades, unlocking other hard drives or getting a bunch of awesome points.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
All but a rare few of the hard drive recipes are balanced to be better in some way.

There are the big ones that have huge benefits like compacted coal and stitched iron plate, but even the shorty ones are still either more efficient or faster, or allow a simplification of your supply chain or a way to recycle an overflow into something else.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
One time I picked up 25 computers from a wreck. You get some good poo poo sometimes.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Bring beacons when you explore. If you can't open a wreck, place a beacon and name it with the required materials so you can take a trip to collect a bunch of drives later.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

You don't even need to bring the beacons with you if you bring supplies. You can drop and equipment workshop anywhere and craft them as you need them. And you should be bringing some building materials with you anyway since it makes it a whole lot easier to get to pods if you build foundations/stackable conveyor pole/lookout towers to get around or over obstacles. You can also build yourself a little bunker to hide and heal in if you run into trouble with the wildlife.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I also build lookout towers at crash sites I've already looted, as a cheap marker that I've been there that's visible from far enough away to not waste effort trying to get to it again to find out if I got this one yet.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I really want them to add "templates" where you can just copy an entire factory and plop em down wherever as long as you have the resources, that would be a super nice qol thing.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

My current wishlist :

1) Custom beacon icons. Color and text are good, gimme icons too and I'm set.
2) Filterable beacons, based on icon. I want to drop down beacons to mark EVERYTHING but it'd be too cluttered unless I had a way to filter it.
3) BINOCULARS. I know photomode adjusting FOV works but I want something a bit quicker.
4) Biofuel burners that have conveyor inputs

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

khy posted:

My current wishlist :

2) Filterable beacons, based on icon. I want to drop down beacons to mark EVERYTHING but it'd be too cluttered unless I had a way to filter it.

Not exactly what you mean, but you can control the visibility of individual beacons (with different range controls so you can see it when you're close but not across the map) from the map view.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I mean say I go out on a loooooong expedition. I drop a beacon on each ore deposit I find just in case I need to use it later. I tag them based on icon, and I choose which icons show up on my HUD so that I can customize which ore deposits I'm currently looking for.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just want a variant on smart splitter where you can designate one of the three paths as the overflow path where things go if the path they want to go down is clogged

Hell, I'd even take it on a non-smart splitter. Just a splitter that sends things to the left if it can, and the right if it can't.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I just want a variant on smart splitter where you can designate one of the three paths as the overflow path where things go if the path they want to go down is clogged

Hell, I'd even take it on a non-smart splitter. Just a splitter that sends things to the left if it can, and the right if it can't.

The line starts back there, buddy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

cheetah7071 posted:

The lack of this is baffling with byproducts. Non negotiable need to open the loop (without hard drive recipes I guess to close the loop and get constant plastic and rubber until you don't need either anymore but still)

The solution now is to just take 3 minutes and build the splitter merger contraption and send the open end to the sink but there's no real reason not to make the same thing one discrete block for sanity and performance.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Maybe this is too high tech for what satisfactory is, or probably I don't understand what you're trying to do. Like if it's all the same item, just do one conveyor no splitter, otherwise split it and let one side clog up who cares. If you've got a container full of different items, what I did was make one output "other" and looped it back into the container, eventually it gets the other stuff I want to come out, but not super efficiently.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

LifeSunDeath posted:

Maybe this is too high tech for what satisfactory is, or probably I don't understand what you're trying to do. Like if it's all the same item, just do one conveyor no splitter, otherwise split it and let one side clog up who cares. If you've got a container full of different items, what I did was make one output "other" and looped it back into the container, eventually it gets the other stuff I want to come out, but not super efficiently.

Well, if it's also a smart splitter then it would be functional in factories for moving multiple item types on a single conveyer and then splitting them as needed without them tripping all over each other. Even if it isn't I've found myself wanting them--when I have my refineries set to make fuel, and have polymer resin as a byproduct, I'd love to make that polymer into rubber or plastic. But if the container I'm shoving the rubber into ever fills up, the whole process bottlenecks and my entire power grid shuts down as the refineries can't make fuel anymore. I'd love to be able to say "okay, send this stuff into the containers until they're full, then send the rest into the awesome sink". As it stands, I just send the resin straight into the sink because I don't want to have to worry about my power grid shutting down because I didn't empty the container often enough.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Well, if it's also a smart splitter then it would be functional in factories for moving multiple item types on a single conveyer and then splitting them as needed without them tripping all over each other. Even if it isn't I've found myself wanting them--when I have my refineries set to make fuel, and have polymer resin as a byproduct, I'd love to make that polymer into rubber or plastic. But if the container I'm shoving the rubber into ever fills up, the whole process bottlenecks and my entire power grid shuts down as the refineries can't make fuel anymore. I'd love to be able to say "okay, send this stuff into the containers until they're full, then send the rest into the awesome sink". As it stands, I just send the resin straight into the sink because I don't want to have to worry about my power grid shutting down because I didn't empty the container often enough.

I had the same issue with petroleum coke, I set up furnaces but would back up and so I just split the line so some goes to the sink...I mean, you can' control ratios if you just make more splitters and then feed some of them back into the main line or vice versa, either way it'll start sending everything after overflow through the other side so it should work fine.

Also for my rubber and plastic, I made a long rear end conveyor running back to my base, and I built a storage tower 8 wide by 3 tall of industrial containers all linked...I've never had it get over filled, esp after I did all the end level space elevator stuff.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 7, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

LifeSunDeath posted:

I had the same issue with petroleum coke, I set up furnaces but would back up and so I just split the line so some goes to the sink...I mean, you can' control ratios if you just make more splitters and then feed some of them back into the main line or vice versa, either way it'll start sending everything after overflow through the other side so it should work fine.

Yeah you're right, I'm just pining for the lost efficiency of having to send a percentage of my output into the sink even before my container fills.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The idea is you need to open the loop for petroleum coke or fuel so your plastic and rubber don't deadhead (or vice versa but you can at least ratio the use of plastic and rubber). Generators aren't constant predictable sinks.

You can certainly send all of it as coke into a sink until you get recycled recipes or aluminum but that's a little drastic.

You can build the splitter merger contraption and it sends 99% or more to a value add location depending how many pieces you put in line. Basically three or more splitters in a row connected in sequence. The outside outputs all feed into corresponding mergers and the final merger output gives you the 99% while 1% always goes out as waste. If your 99% side backs up, now 100% goes out as waste.

E. Better reddit post from someone else with pictures instead of my mid day rambling https://www.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/f589r7/compact_overflow_solution/

zedprime fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 7, 2020

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

With update 3 came the introduction to byproducts and that necessitated a way to dispose of things, hence the awesomesink. I anticipate they have plans for some sort of super-advanced splitter, I'd probably call it a sorter-splitter or something, to come in future updates, but they didn't want to release it yet. Maybe it's tied to the next level of spelevator tiers.
That follows their normal pattern of "have a problem for a while, fix it with automation, that makes new problems that you deal with for a while, then you unlock fixes for it with further automation, that gives new problems you have to deal with for a while... etc etc."

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I suppose the best solution right now to handling the fuel/plastic/rubber byproducts situation is to get the Recycled Plastic and Recycled Rubber recipes and use those to turn the superfluous fuel into more of one of the solid products that can then be sinked.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Speaking of solving problems with automation, I'm about to start trying to set up a train network, and I see train stations have two outputs. Do they split evenly between them? Can I functionally use trains as conveyor belts with double the capacity of my highest tier conveyors (also long as the train ride isn't so long that the input station fills up, obviously)?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

This is my setup for getting rid of petroleum coke, but actually I don't need the power from here so could just sink it all. I didn't try to maximize anything I just said, well it's getting backed up better put a spur off the side and that'll keep it open and it did. Now if you're trying to build some kind of elaborate logic gate situation like factorio, no you can't do that very easily in this game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
wrt fuel backing up because generators aren't a consistent consumer, my ultimate plan was just to use my power factory as an incidental producer of plastic/rubber that goes straight into a container for when I need them directly, without feeding it into any further automation. Though I have toyed with the idea of having a setup where I exactly count the power I'm using and have fuel generators that exactly power their own factories without being connected to the broader network, to ensure they never stop burning. That sounds super tricky to get right though. Are there any buildings that consume power even when not in use, to fill in any missing power consumption?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

It's not particularly high tech. It wouldn't even be that hard to implement because it's just a combination of what they already have in the game. They have code for detecting when an output is backed up, they have code for sending certain items to certain outputs. They would just need to add another option to what they already have. They have an option for any, which will split items between the filtered output and the any output. They have any unfiltered, which sends anything that isn't put onto another output. They just need a third option that is any unfiltered but also overflow. So when an output backs up, then it starts sending things out the other output. Even then, the smart and programmable splitters are pretty buggy. I keep getting situations where the entire splitter will get backed up because one of the outputs backed up even though I have set one output to any.

I kind of hope they will one day allow a smart conveyor network. That will let you hook up relevant splitters that will automatically set themselves to a device they are connected to. Basically, I want to be able to hook everything together and, when I set a machine to make something, it will reach out to my storage area and request the items it needs. It doesn't even need to be automatic, if I could just have some sort of control board or a scripting system. Having to run around to each splitter kind of sucks.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 7, 2020

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Are there any buildings that consume power even when not in use, to fill in any missing power consumption?

Train and truck stations. Jump pads. Hyper tube entrances.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

nielsm posted:

I suppose the best solution right now to handling the fuel/plastic/rubber byproducts situation is to get the Recycled Plastic and Recycled Rubber recipes and use those to turn the superfluous fuel into more of one of the solid products that can then be sinked.

Once you have the recipes the actual best solution is to never use fuel. Heavy oil residue to turbofuel for power and polymer for rubber & plastic. Until then I'd just make what you need as directly as possible and sink the byproducts entirely.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Splitters definitely seem buggy...I really wish they would do underground conveyors and pipes like factorio for maximum clean look, but with terrain it would be pretty impossible.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you want maximum clean you can foundation everything one level above terrain, foundation a sub floor, and route everything through the subfloor.

My aesthetic is maximum belt chaos though so even just writing that down made me chafe at the collar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How do people tend to handle hooking up new miners to their existing stuff? I like having skybridges everywhere, but having to build downwards to make sure foundations align is quite a pain. I've mostly been making towers, using inner walls with conveyors in them but they take quite a while to setup. Building up is so much easier.