Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Maybe they just want to position their QLED as an alternative to OLED?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They've been trying that for years and it hasn't caught on yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rastor posted:

The wording annoys my inner pedant because they are all LCD displays still, just a question of what's in the layers and how they are arranged.

It depends, it's not clear what the next step is.

Quantum dots can be electroluminescent as well and that's the end goal state. Instead of exciting the QD through blue light passed through an LCD, you excite it with an electric current. That gives you all the advantages of quantum dots and all the advantages of OLED with the infinite blacks since they are now self illuminating.

There are a ton of different arrangements.

Right now what we have is

blue led -> quantum dot (creating white light) -> LCD -> color filter

But you can do

blue led -> LCD -> Quantum dot (replacing color filter) That's technically an emissive display, but you can still have backlight bleed since there's an LCD in the mix

You can also do

blue OLED -> Quantum Dot instead of the white led -> color filter that LG is currently doing.

The holy grail is

Cathode -> Quantum Dot -> Anode

Saying they are ending all LCD production implies that they are now going after that last step. It's not 100% clear though.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

bull3964 posted:

Quantum dots can be electroluminescent as well and that's the end goal state. Instead of exciting the QD through blue light passed through an LCD, you excite it with an electric current. That gives you all the advantages of quantum dots and all the advantages of OLED with the infinite blacks since they are now self illuminating.

There are a ton of different arrangements.

Right now what we have is

blue led -> quantum dot (creating white light) -> LCD -> color filter

But you can do

blue led -> LCD -> Quantum dot (replacing color filter) That's technically an emissive display, but you can still have backlight bleed since there's an LCD in the mix

You can also do

blue OLED -> Quantum Dot instead of the white led -> color filter that LG is currently doing.

The holy grail is

Cathode -> Quantum Dot -> Anode

Saying they are ending all LCD production implies that they are now going after that last step. It's not 100% clear though.

I honestly don't understand why? MicroLED is clearly the future and Samsung is heavily involved in it, dual layer LCDs will be able to outperform and be more durable than OLED displays.

Honestly I think in a few years OLED will be the cheap option for higher end displays outside of speciality applications, dual layer QLCD will be the common option for higher end displays without major depth/weight constraints and MicroLED will take over the high-end.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Three Olives posted:

I honestly don't understand why? MicroLED is clearly the future
But it's probably not feasible now so this is an intermediate step to make sure their branding doesn't fall into "not cutting edge, kind of budget" territory.

Maybe they'll find a way to make Microled cheap in the next decade. They're clearly not staking the immediate future on it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I’d kinda hoped with the world economy predicted to collapse harder than the Great Depression in 1/10th the time that we’d have seen more sales on the LG C9s but I actually haven’t even gotten a slickdeals alert since February I think.

If it comes down to it I don’t mind waiting until some sales hit on the CX for Black Friday I guess, there are some minor features there that are tempting enough that I don’t mind waiting, but drat, was kind of looking forward to an upgrade.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pixel density.

Samsung is getting their clock cleaned by LG right now with OLED, they need something that will compete in the same size ranges and we are still a long long long way from micro-led being viable for stuff in the two digit inch range.

We are probably talking 5-7 years before something like a 77 inch micro-led 4k set is viable under $10k while LG can do that now with OLED for half that.

Samsung just can't compete at the high end right now with LCD technology and they aren't going to buy OLED panels from LG like Sony and Panasonic are doing. They need a stop gap on the way to micro LED.

Then, if the dumb 8k push continues, that just compounds the density issue for micro LED.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

The 48" CX LG OLED goes on sale in June, I think.
That'd be a great replacement for the cheapo 50" non-HDR 4k in our basement, I'll have to keep an eye out.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Quantum dots can be electroluminescent as well and that's the end goal

Sure, but if they had that working, even in a lab, they would have been crowing about it. I have 100% confidence every set they make has a liquid crystal filter layer. In other words, is an LCD.

drat the Samsung marketing/branding department.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Paul MaudDib posted:

I’d kinda hoped with the world economy predicted to collapse harder than the Great Depression in 1/10th the time that we’d have seen more sales on the LG C9s but I actually haven’t even gotten a slickdeals alert since February I think.

If it comes down to it I don’t mind waiting until some sales hit on the CX for Black Friday I guess, there are some minor features there that are tempting enough that I don’t mind waiting, but drat, was kind of looking forward to an upgrade.

All of you assholes here kept on telling me to stop putting it off and to buy an OLED, and you see what happened? :v:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

Sure, but if they had that working, even in a lab, they would have been crowing about it. I have 100% confidence every set they make has a liquid crystal filter layer. In other words, is an LCD.

drat the Samsung marketing/branding department.

OK, this Verge write-up makes slightly more sense
https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/31/21200859/samsung-display-ending-lcd-panel-production-quantum-dot-oled-south-korea-china-factories

It sounds like Samsung is developing OLED production and thinks they're ready to ramp it up. But because they already muddied the waters with QLED, they're going to refer to their OLED displays as Quantum Dot displays?

Dammit, Samsung. :arghfist:

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Is there a good resource for changing the factory settings on your LG CX monitor?

I have never had a TV that I cared about picture quality before. I am not really liking the smoothing and oversaturation. It's also super blown out and bright. Should I just put it in fimmaker mode? There were 1 or 2 halfass youtube videos. Any recommendation? I want a prescription from someone that cares more than I do.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Residency Evil posted:

All of you assholes here kept on telling me to stop putting it off and to buy an OLED, and you see what happened? :v:

leave some TVs for the rest of us, rear end in a top hat :mad:

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.

qirex posted:

The 49" Sony X950H is around a grand and weighs 30 pounds, might be a good option. I'm really happy with the PS4 Pro on my X900F.

After going back and forth on this for a couple days, I'm leaning strongly toward the Sony X950H. It pretty much ticks all my boxes. The 49" version is missing a few features that the 55"+ versions have, but they sound pretty minor to me. One feature, X-wide Angle, sounds like it might actually do more harm than good.

I know the X950H hasn't been out long, but does anyone here have any opinions or direct experience with this set?

Ended up saying gently caress it and going with an LG C9. I found someone to help me with setup.

mekyabetsu fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 4, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

65" Sony X900F $998 at Dell, and they throw in a $250 eGift card: https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/444088?c_id=4340&u_id=67424549&d=040320

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Has anyone said anything good or bad about the TCL mini-led Series 8?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

55" C9 $1497 shipped - and they add $100 and $40 Visa gift cards to your cart.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So, I thought the seller's / staging TV was 55", but...

This is the seller's 65" OLED (65EF9500 :gonk:), so, at a minimum I should be looking at the same size. My brain temporarily thought LG made a 70", but next step is 77".... I think while it may fit on that mantle / area, it's probably too huge / not worth the 2x price increase nearly. Thoughts?

(Also the Bose speakers are basically emblematic of the entire place...it has had like 3 successive doctor nerds living it since 1986, so it is finely equipped with the pinnacle of late 1980s, mid 1990s and early 2000s Hi-Fi sold by installers to people with oodles of disposable income and no actual taste / knowledge of hardware. It's gonna be rad to clean up.)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tell em you'll buy the house if they throw the TV in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Once you rip out those speakers you can probably get a 77" in there.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

movax posted:

So, I thought the seller's / staging TV was 55", but...

This is the seller's 65" OLED (65EF9500 :gonk:), so, at a minimum I should be looking at the same size. My brain temporarily thought LG made a 70", but next step is 77".... I think while it may fit on that mantle / area, it's probably too huge / not worth the 2x price increase nearly. Thoughts?

Rhyno posted:

Once you rip out those speakers you can probably get a 77" in there.
100%. I just mocked this up quickly in Paint.net after looking up the dimensions. Green is a box I drew that almost perfectly aligned over the existing TV, blue would be a 77" C9 if I mathed correctly, roughly centered on the same spot. Not perfect by any means but should give a good idea.

That space could probably take any TV a mere mortal can buy at a retail location, though 77" is probably as far as you want to go if you want to keep the speakers in the same ballpark.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

movax posted:

This is the seller's 65" OLED (65EF9500 :gonk:)

How dare you pull such a face at my TV model! ;)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Put up my old 55" LG into the garage/apartment conversion we're building for my father in law, and it came out nice. I'm usually terrible at these things and have friends/family come over to help, but that poo poo ain't happening in 2020.

Edit: now to drill some holes and fish a cable all on my own, which I'm terrified to do

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

movax posted:

A 77 inch tv is much larger than a 65 inch TV. If you have the money and your space fits it appropriately, I would go for it. I have 65 inch and 75 inch TVs in different parts of the house and the 75 inch is just a different experience altogether imo.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Hey guys, I'm in Canada and looking to buy a TV. The two things I've decided that I would like are the size, 55", and the refresh rate, 120hz. My budget for this is about $500 CAD. I'm looking through a few review sites but I'm not sure which one is the best/most up to date. I'm using https://displaylag.com/display-database/#participants-list to compare TVs I find on bestbuy.ca, visions.ca, and openbox.ca but most of the time I can't find the TVs by the model number. Is this because the TVs have different model numbers in different countries?

Can you guys point me to an up to date and reliable review site I can use to compare?

Or if you have any recommendations that fit the specs I posted above I'm happy to hear those too.

EDIT: I'm willing to spend a bit more on the TV and be flexible on the size. I can go up to $800 and I'm happy with anything between 50"-60". These are my spec priorities, refresh rate, budget and then size.

Terebus fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 6, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The go to spec comparison site these days is rtings I think

120 hz might be tough in that price range... https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-RU8000-UN55RU8000FXZC-Canada-Version/dp/B07NV6PSC5 maybe, although I wouldn't normally recommend a samsung these days

Dogen fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 6, 2020

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
You want the ability to actually feed it a 1080p or 1440p 120hz source? Or you're just worried about judder?

RTINGs reviews have both an inputs section and a 24p judder section that has the data you need.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Dogen posted:

The go to spec comparison site these days is rtings I think

120 hz might be tough in that price range... https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-RU8000-UN55RU8000FXZC-Canada-Version/dp/B07NV6PSC5 maybe, although I wouldn't normally recommend a samsung these days

I'll check it out, thanks! Why would you recommend against Samsung?

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

KS posted:

You want the ability to actually feed it a 1080p or 1440p 120hz source? Or you're just worried about judder?

RTINGs reviews have both an inputs section and a 24p judder section that has the data you need.

I want the TV for two things. I'm going to put it up in my bedroom so I can watch poo poo off of it at night, but I also want to use it for gaming down the road. My current PC has a Nvidia GTX 970 so it's pretty old but has a decent output. I might upgrade my PC for later so ideally I'd have a 1440p 120hz source, but in the near future its just 1080p 120hz source.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Terebus posted:

I'll check it out, thanks! Why would you recommend against Samsung?

Generally paying more for the name mainly, compared to buying a TCL or something

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Dogen posted:

Generally paying more for the name mainly, compared to buying a TCL or something

Fair, I generally don't care about the brand. Overall I've had pretty good experience with Samsung electronics but I don't care what brand I'm buying. I'm not finding too many TCL or other brands besides LG that have 120hz with the specs I posted though.

To the poster above and everyone else reading this, I'm pretty noob about TVs and displays. I haven't done too much reading, I just heard that 120hz is a pretty noticeable improvement for gaming as long as you have a good graphics card. That's the main reason I'm looking for it.

One other question, the place I'm looking to put this TV won't fit two very spread out legs. I don't really want to wall mount it for a few reasons so I'm looking at buying a TV stand like this one https://www.amazon.ca/FITUEYES-Universal-Tabletop-Adjustments-Components/dp/B07QMJYB2R/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=tv+stand&qid=1586213741&sr=8-12

Is there anything I should watch out for when buying a stand like that or will any of them work pretty well?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Terebus posted:

I want the TV for two things. I'm going to put it up in my bedroom so I can watch poo poo off of it at night, but I also want to use it for gaming down the road. My current PC has a Nvidia GTX 970 so it's pretty old but has a decent output. I might upgrade my PC for later so ideally I'd have a 1440p 120hz source, but in the near future its just 1080p 120hz source.

Cool. Go here: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag and sort by the "Input Lag 1080P @ 120 hz" column. Don't buy stuff that says N/A.

On that list the Vizio P series and the Samsung Q60/Q70 jump out. The Sony x900F too but I believe you have to force this resolution on Sony sets -- it doesn't report it. I'd avoid the LG non-OLEDs.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Looking through the links provided above, I went through a few different sites and found a Samsung UN55RU8000 from a site that sells refurbished TVs. I've never purchased from here before and I don't really know much about buying refurbished products. Let me know if you guys see anything that looks bad about this deal.

https://www.tvoutlet.ca/products/samsung-55-class-8-series-4k-ultra-hd-smart-hdr-tv-un55ru800d-un55ru8000?_pos=1&_sid=608ab6abb&_ss=r

I also found this deal, its much bigger than I was looking for but the price seems really good.

https://www.tvoutlet.ca/products/lg-65-super-uhd-hdr-led-tv-w-thinq-ai-65sk8000pua?_pos=1&_sid=1c9077ae2&_ss=r

EDIT: I also found a TCL 55" 6-Series that's supposedly 120hz and the reviews on rtings look good. It's selling for $430 CAD so I like this price range. Is there anything I should watch out for with this TV?

https://www.tvoutlet.ca/collections/television/products/tcl-55-class-6-series-4k-uhd-dolby-vision-hdr-roku-smart-tv-55r613

Terebus fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 7, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Don't buy non OLED LGs they're bad tvs with bad black levels.

Honestly dude it sounds like you need to slow down a bit and do some more thinking about what you want and how far you're willing to stretch budgetwise. 500 CAD gets you gently caress all basically and 800 gets you an average to good TV in the 55 inch range. If you're concerned about decent gaming at 120hz when you buy a better graphics card in the future you should really be spending a decent amount more on a TV now considering you likely won't be changing it for a long time.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'm not in the Americas but TCL 6 series are generally seen as a good cheap option, but with inconsistent quality control so some might have lower quality panels. That price seems suspiciously low though.

I'm not an expert but I know a lot of TVs advertising 120hz are full of poo poo and use tricks or creative licence to put that figure on the box so be careful.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Butterfly Valley posted:

Don't buy non OLED LGs they're bad tvs with bad black levels.

Honestly dude it sounds like you need to slow down a bit and do some more thinking about what you want and how far you're willing to stretch budgetwise. 500 CAD gets you gently caress all basically and 800 gets you an average to good TV in the 55 inch range. If you're concerned about decent gaming at 120hz when you buy a better graphics card in the future you should really be spending a decent amount more on a TV now considering you likely won't be changing it for a long time.

I'm not going to pull the trigger today, I'm just posting a lot because I have extra time on my hands. My thinking right now is, buy a cheap TV for the quarantine that I can use for watching random shows/movies. If it works well enough for gaming then that's great, I'll keep it long term. If not, I'm going to keep an eye out long term for good deals. I don't mind having a mediocre TV down the road. I usually keep mine for years.

I just want something to get me through the quarantine that actually works.

Thanks for all the input so far guys!

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm not in the Americas but TCL 6 series are generally seen as a good cheap option, but with inconsistent quality control so some might have lower quality panels. That price seems suspiciously low though.

I'm not an expert but I know a lot of TVs advertising 120hz are full of poo poo and use tricks or creative licence to put that figure on the box so be careful.

TCL does that - The 625 MIGHT be an exception, but I believe the rest of the 6-series is native 60hz with an "effective" refresh rate of 120hz. The 625 might still do that too.

The linked site says it's a refurb of a model 613, which is one of the older ones. A bit over $300 USD is about on-par with the Wal-Mart refurbs for the same TV. Great deal if it's not hosed up.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah I'm really hesitant about pulling the trigger with a refurb purchase. Never done it before and I can't find much online about that vendor. I found the same TV on BestBuy for $600 CAD and I'm thinking of grabbing that one. What do you mean by "effective" 120hz refresh rate?

EDIT: Did a bit of reading, looks like the Series 6 has 60hz native refresh rate, with something called clear motion index to bump it to 120hz. But it looks like that means it can't take 120hz inputs.

Terebus fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 7, 2020

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The TCL 6 series is one of the standard recommendations at the low end -- good HDR for the money -- but it doesn't take a 120hz input. The 613 was the big box store model, 2018 edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

This might be a dumb question but here goes, what do you guys do with your old TVs? I used to just give them to friends and family but that was easier about a decade ago when there was still a handful of crts and old school flatscreens around.

I’m finally going to bite the bullet and jump to 4K with some of the bells and whistles but I don’t want to purchase anything if I can’t figure out what to do with my old one besides just curbside donation. Mostly because it’s been raining around here recently.