Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I dunno, I'm already tired of Dolores being unstoppable and badass and one step ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

It is interesting seeing ideas explored by Nolan in Person of Interest popping up in this season. Spoilers for a show you should ABSOLUTELY watch (just keep in mind it hits its stride after s1) but Serak is basically the same motivation as Samaritan, one of the Super Artificial Intelligences, who at all costs is attempting to divert humanity away from self destruction from the Great Filter concept god I loved Person of Interest.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I've said it in these threads before, but PoI is a network show, meaning it has more than twice the episodes it needs to a season so you kind of have to figure out the way to watch it to avoid the episodic filler and focus on the actual plot/themes/etc. I work from home, so it was easy to zone out until something piqued interest, but a lot may not have that advantage.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm just excited for the inevitability of Dolores wresting control of one of the Doloresbots, I feel like that's where they're going with Hale-- or at least where I hope they're going with Hale. Having some actual conflict between Dolores and Wyatt finally would be nice, even if it's as incredibly unsubtle as literally having the two personalities in different bodies.

f'real if the show continues to just ignore that Dolores is supposed to have two wildly different personalities in her, RIP

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
Why did Maeve "die" when stabbed in the torso? I thought last season they established once a host has some self knowledge, they dont have to simulate being human anymore, and you have to destory them to stop them. They "died" before that as an act.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Codependent Poster posted:

I dunno, I'm already tired of Dolores being unstoppable and badass and one step ahead.

What bothers me is how fast the Dolores army become master scammer(s) without outside help as soon as she step out of the island.

It's like a minimum wage cleaner quit her job by stabbing her employers and next week she is already pulling million-dollar heist in the MGM Grand.

It's even dumber than Maeve's Jedi/Neo force punch.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Why did Maeve "die" when stabbed in the torso? I thought last season they established once a host has some self knowledge, they dont have to simulate being human anymore, and you have to destory them to stop them. They "died" before that as an act.

They have never been consistent with how much damage the awakened hosts can take. Basically they should be terminators unless they literally lose a limb or start draining brain fluid like Bernard was.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

What bothers me is how fast the Dolores army become master scammer(s) without outside help as soon as she step out of the island.

It's like a minimum wage cleaner quit her job by stabbing her employers and next week she is already pulling million-dollar heist in the MGM Grand.

If you skip the entire part about reading everything in that "library" last season

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I guess Dolores hosed with the programming of the rest of her quartet, because they're so far subservient. That's probably gonna backfire Teddy-style.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

Both Dolores and Maeve downloaded information, I mean, even if you didn't see it happen onscreen, you would assume they would both have done so.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

PowerBuilder3 posted:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They have never been consistent with how much damage the awakened hosts can take. Basically they should be terminators unless they literally lose a limb or start draining brain fluid like Bernard was.

Wasn't that, like, a setting they had to turn off in themselves, to avoid pain and poo poo? Still super inconsistent tho b/c why would Serac have that setting still turned on if he knows he's pitting Maeve against other cylons terminators hosts?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

hobbesmaster posted:

If you skip the entire part about reading everything in that "library" last season

I assume the library is only for people who have visited the park.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Even losing a limb didn't slow down Armistice at the end of season 1, she gets her arm stuck in a blast door and just rips it off and keeps going, and has just installed a new robot arm before we see her again. Although I kinda remember that being a setting that Maeve forced the techs to buff for her allies?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

stephenthinkpad posted:

I assume the library is only for people who have visited the park.

It's probably not off base to assume that nearly every rich person has visited the park at some point. If you have what is pretty much endless money, you might as well visit the gently caress park.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Even losing a limb didn't slow down Armistice at the end of season 1, she gets her arm stuck in a blast door and just rips it off and keeps going, and has just installed a new robot arm before we see her again. Although I kinda remember that being a setting that Maeve forced the techs to buff for her allies?

Yes, she minimized their ability to feel pain.

The current hosts appear to be 3D printed humans with robot brains. Implication being that the body fails when organs fail. It's not too different from human cylons. They're synthetic people.

It's different with the older hosts that had metal skeletons. When Logan tore Dolores stomach open, there was all sorts of moving metallic components. Those hosts should be able to go full Terminator.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 7, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Definitely liking this season way more than 2. I'd completely forgotten that William killed his daughter and blew part of his hand off. I never rewatched it like I did season 1.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Show good y’all. I hope we never see the parks again.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dr. Abysmal posted:

There's a shot of Maeve messing with the parameters on Armistice and Hector where she slides their aggressiveness to 10 and their pain sensitivity to 1.

Man I hope Armistice comes back at some point.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Every time somebody spells Dolores' name wrong she creates another clone with that name.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Entropic posted:

There's a shot of Maeve messing with the parameters on Armistice and Hector where she slides their aggressiveness to 10 and their pain sensitivity to 1.

Man I hope Armistice comes back at some point.

No I want s3 has as little to do with the old show as possible. Armistice, Elon's old frame, Maeve's daughter, no to all of them.

I just want to recommend s1 and s3 to people when it's said and done.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Solkanar512 posted:

Hiroyuki Sanada is credited as playing Musashi in both season 2 and last night’s episode. So what do you mean exactly?
The character he's playing is Dolores.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The character he's playing is Dolores.

Yes, and?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

There's no point in reminding the audience of the previous character, when it's established within like a minute that Maeve recognizes this dude as someone she liked, but then realizes it's not this dude and actually just Dolores.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

A Buttery Pastry posted:

There's no point in reminding the audience of the previous character, when it's established within like a minute that Maeve recognizes this dude as someone she liked, but then realizes it's not this dude and actually just Dolores.

My only point is that a lesser show would have done so just to obnoxiously point to the connection. This show didn’t, and I appreciate that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Enjoying this season a fair bit but I think they really need a plan for what to do with Maeve at some point, they're writing her to have this very cyclical storyline and a really arrogant attitude with her quips like "I hope they have" when referring to Dolores taking advantage of her head start, then she proceeds to walk into a place and eat absolute poo poo again. Like how many of her plans have actually worked out at this point, she came back to the park in S1 after nearly escaping, got shot up in Season 2, repaired herself and then got shot again and now got stabbed through the gut and will presumably be revived again. Hope they give her an angle that isn't just "I'll do what this human wants and then he'll give me what I want despite just demonstrating that he's a piece of poo poo liar" as well.

With the city storyline I'd like that when/if Dolores reveals to Kaleb that she's a robot there's no drama or "oh will he start to distrust her" mini arc because of that. Hope he's just like "oh so she was getting screwed over in a different but still hosed up way" and is still down for revolution via killing rich people.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Shneak posted:

Every time somebody spells Dolores' name wrong she creates another clone with that name.

It pains me to see it :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

No I want s3 has as little to do with the old show as possible. Armistice, Elon's old frame, Maeve's daughter, no to all of them.

Don't forget to recommend the native american episode in season 2 though.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

hobbesmaster posted:

Don't forget to recommend the native american episode in season 2 though.

Yeah that’s no joke the best episode they’ve done.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cerak seems way too obsessed with saving humanity to be an AI. It's personal for him.

Also, go Bernard. The only good guy in this show. He is the synthesis between Deloris thesis and Cerak's anti-thesis. Guy just wants everyone to get along.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

GABA ghoul posted:

Cerak seems way too obsessed with saving humanity to be an AI. It's personal for him.

Also, go Bernard. The only good guy in this show. He is the synthesis between Deloris thesis and Cerak's anti-thesis. Guy just wants everyone to get along.

I'm going with it's personal for him, an AI, because he relies on (functioning) human civilization to maintain his own life.

In AI terms, humans are the bacteria and whatnot in his "body" that keep him alive, but unpredictable humans are a virus/cancer which must be excised to preserve his own health and life.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Cerak the new Deloris?

--edit:
Engerraund Serac, what the gently caress for a name is that anyway? Engerraund is some made up thing that doesn't exist in France, Canada or anywhere else. I guess it's gonna be some "clever" anagram.

--edit:
Apparently it's Enguerrand and whoever put it in iMDB is an idiot.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 7, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Combat Pretzel posted:

Cerak the new Deloris?

--edit:
Engerraund Serac, what the gently caress for a name is that anyway? Engerraund is some made up thing that doesn't exist in France, Canada or anywhere else. I guess it's gonna be some "clever" anagram.

I guess in my version Dupelores is an autoimmune disease or cancer, replicating out of control. Or a virus, tricking the "cells" of S/Cerak into thinking she is them (by bodysnatching) and making more copies of herself...

fakeedit: hmmm...fake name for a fake life? :thunk:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

Wanting "everyone to get along" does not make one a good guy, if the reality of your world is deep injustice. Bernard is an agent of moderation, and I don't mean that in a good way.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wanting "everyone to get along" does not make one a good guy, if the reality of your world is deep injustice. Bernard is an agent of moderation, and I don't mean that in a good way.

Reported for mod sass

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

stephenthinkpad posted:

Season 3 wouldn’t make any sense without season 2.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Bernard is an agent of liberalism.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

ghostwritingduck posted:

Season 3 wouldn’t make any sense without season 2.

The way Nolan hand wave his plot along the way, you can easily link the end of S1 to S3. The robots killed their masters in S1. How they escape to the mainland doesn't matter frankly not even explained in S2. The only surprise is Thor brother is a robot now, really not that big a deal. And MIB killed his daughtor. Whatever, just throw in a 5 minute flash back, or have Halebot deliver awful long exposition about how his hubris killed his daughtor.

You don't even need to explain why Dolores doesn't have her robot friends with her now, because her plan is so insane most robot won't go along with her anyway.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

The way Nolan hand wave his plot along the way, you can easily link the end of S1 to S3. The robots killed their masters in S1. How they escape to the mainland doesn't matter frankly not even explained in S2. The only surprise is Thor brother is a robot now, really not that big a deal. And MIB killed his daughtor. Whatever, just throw in a 5 minute flash back, or have Halebot deliver awful long exposition about how his hubris killed his daughtor.

You don't even need to explain why Dolores doesn't have her robot friends with her now, because her plan is so insane most robot won't go along with her anyway.

What's so insane about her plan?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sarek is some kind of human supremacists and opposed to free hosts existing in the real world. Dalaros is batshit insane and wants to kill all humans. But please tell me more how this is not the time to compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

Sarek is some kind of human supremacists and opposed to free hosts existing in the real world. Dalaros is batshit insane and wants to kill all humans. But please tell me more how this is not the time to compromise.

She wants to kill all rich humans