Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tzam
Mar 17, 2009
On my bike (09 zx6r) the intake side of the airbox is the bottom and the engine side is above the filter, so doesn't need anything other than a simple drain, has been that way on every bike I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Some bikes have a little transparent (or not) cap you remove to drain it, some have a little one way valve that gets blipped by pressure waves in the airbox. A postie/grom has both! Just gotta look.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Uncapped mine last night and had a bunch of gross watery oil fall out. Kinda weird but only one sploot, maybe 25-50ml, nothing close to a litre (I've never done this in the two years I've had it).

Wonder if it's possible the tube filled up and after that the excess started blowing out past the air filter, cause that's a thing that's been happening for as long as I've had the bike.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Going to twin headlights. Filled the big hole:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

Going to twin headlights. Filled the big hole:

Please tell me twin round headlights? With the NACA ducts, that would be pure 80s sex.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Please tell me twin round headlights? With the NACA ducts, that would be pure 80s sex.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Objectively the best headlight style.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Renaissance Robot posted:

Uncapped mine last night and had a bunch of gross watery oil fall out. Kinda weird but only one sploot, maybe 25-50ml, nothing close to a litre (I've never done this in the two years I've had it).
That sounds normal to me.

Usually I get about 5-10ml of oil per thousand miles, thanks to this sloppy engine. Having a liter of water was completely unexpected, not sure if it was the 100 miles in a wet blizzard, or the 600 miles of post-blizzard roads that did it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Uncapped it again today and another few drops of oil came out, so it's definitely been building up in there fairly consistently. I'll mop up the mess around the air filter and continue draining the hose regularly, and see if the splatter comes back. If it doesn't I'll consider that mystery solved.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

Wouldn't have it any other way.

:swoon: this is for a hawk right?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Y'all remember these?

Google "whitehouse customs cb-750" to get a few more pics not from the BikeEXIF article

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jazzzzz posted:

Y'all remember these?

Google "whitehouse customs cb-750" to get a few more pics not from the BikeEXIF article

A shame it's a really nice bike without the AOOOGAH lights.

Slavvy posted:

:swoon: this is for a hawk right?

I've been teasing pictures of it in various stages before but I'm a useless shitheel and haven't been able to finish it. I'm using my Coronavacation to knock out a few things I have been dreading, mainly bodywork.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Today I ran my battery completely flat by leaving my heated grips on like a dumbass :doh:

Managed to push it to a halfords and get it jump started, now after half an hour of giving it the beans in second gear up the motorway it's back up at 11.5V. Given I'm riding over an hour almost every day, is my battery likely to suddenly cark it after being abused like this or can I just expect a slight acceleration of the usual slow decline?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

if your battery is at 11.5v while the motor is running, it is likely quite dead

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

The DZUS fastener smiley face is a nice touch

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

right arm posted:

if your battery is at 11.5v while the motor is running, it is likely quite dead

Nah that was with the engine off. I forgot to measure it while running.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Nah that was with the engine off. I forgot to measure it while running.

well then you're probably fine!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
gently caress

This explains the huge clanking noises that have been coming from the back for the better part of a year. I'd assumed it was the centrestand bouncing off the endstop.

I've flipped it upside down for now, but I've only been able to get one bolt out on each side; the other two are seized and I've rounded out a socket trying to get them off. I'm... not really sure what to do next.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

gently caress
I'm... not really sure what to do next.

But no seriously vice grips. The bolts are dead soldiers, grind flat spots on the bolt heads and vice grip them out. Or cut/shear the bolt heads off, remove the exhaust, and vice grip the bolts out from there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

8mm haft with a 10mm head holding the exhaust on: just a quiet little gently caress-you courtesy Kawasaki.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Gorson posted:

But no seriously vice grips. The bolts are dead soldiers, grind flat spots on the bolt heads and vice grip them out. Or cut/shear the bolt heads off, remove the exhaust, and vice grip the bolts out from there.

I more meant next as in "after I get these bolts replaced". Although if the tab on the muffler can hold out another year or two before cracking/wearing through I suppose I'll be happy enough, since I've been fantasising about getting a set of megaphones anyway.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

put some graphics on the boxes :D

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Fiberglass is magic. I didn't take a before-before pic because I'm a dumb-dumb but this whole edge was cracked and chipped and very weak at the back end of the naca ducts there and needed repair. Some resin and some loose fiberglass (and sanding):

Dremel + a bit more sanding:

Used the remaining resin to fill a low area. The hard work here is done.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Godspeed on the painting

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Ah, it’s so nice to be able to work in open air again without gloves or pain. Got a lot done today:

• Riveted new rubber bumpers on my Corbin seat.
  • Changed my clutch cable, I’ve always had an irrational fear of it snapping and stranding me.
  • Defeated my clutch sensor.

The sensor hasn’t worked in a year, the bike still starts in neutral but I figured I’d finally take Slavvy’s advice and disable it entirely. For now I’ve just got them jumpered together with some spare wire but it’s a little janky. I don’t like doing anything irreversible on wiring so I just want thinner wire I think.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

On the RT

Waiting for the rear brake actuator rod to show up so it’s actually got both brakes although the boy is pretty good at sending it with a bald tire and no rear stoppage. Fork seals on their way as well.

Edit:

Rear brake rod. No idea what this came from but my buddy had it left over from parting something out.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 14, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bike hasn't started yet this spring, I had it going on one cylinder but then nothing. Finally spent some time yesterday taking the fairings and gas tank off, neither plug had spark. Put in new ones, strong spark, bike ran strongly.

This is the 2nd or third set of plugs it's fouled, hoping if I ride it a decent amount this season it will burn the crud off the plugs and I won't have to deal with this every spring.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

mewse posted:

Bike hasn't started yet this spring, I had it going on one cylinder but then nothing. Finally spent some time yesterday taking the fairings and gas tank off, neither plug had spark. Put in new ones, strong spark, bike ran strongly.

This is the 2nd or third set of plugs it's fouled, hoping if I ride it a decent amount this season it will burn the crud off the plugs and I won't have to deal with this every spring.

That sounds like a richness problem rather than a plug problem.

mewse
May 2, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

That sounds like a richness problem rather than a plug problem.

I do remember adjusting the idle screws really rich, and it was probably before I got the airbox clamped to the carbs properly. I'll try resetting those screws to stock

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

installed a new rear tire (last one was used to go to banff, and to cross the US from OR to TN and gave up the ghost at 10464mi), high fender kit (why not, I am quite bored), and then picked up a couple bundles of wood for the fire pit :D

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
Today I removed the front end of the fireblade, mostly due to lockdown boredom. Found that the brake pad retaining pin is stuck tight on both front calipers, so took both apart and cleaned them out. Emptied fork oil as well because I have no idea when it was last done.

Would like to change the radiator but I’ve run out of money. This weather is for riding not maintenance :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I finally ventured out and got a floor jack so I could get the front wheel off the Goldwing, but I justified it to myself by saying I'll use the floor jack to take my winter wheels off my car instead of the janky screw jack that came with my car. It worked!

Anyway, I had to take the front wheel off because my speedometer quit at the end of the season last year. I replaced the $80 hall effect sensor and that fixed it for approximately one mile and the speedo died again and I left it. Turns out the grease inside the worm gear housing on the front wheel was rock solid and completely gummed up. Of course the Goldwing uses one of those tabbed rings that is basically made out of velveeta to drive the speedo worm gear so it folded over instantly at the mere thought of sticky grease.

Thankfully I had some bicycle chain degreaser laying around that instantly freed things up. I cleaned out the worm gear housing, refilled it with fresh grease, bent the tabs back out on the aforementioned cheese ring and put it all back together, it works again! :woop:

An 86 goldwing is surprisingly crippled by the speedo sensor not working. The auto-canceling turn signals, which actually work in 2020 by some manner of blessing from Soichiro Honda himself completely stop functioning without the speedo. The radios speed-sensitive (1986!) volume obviously also stops working, but I dont care about that because I never use the radio except to make sweet instagram videos. The suspension air pump (also another blessing from Mr. Honda in 2020) lockout is also speed-based rather than just being neutral-based, so you can totally adjust the air ride suspension at 80mph on the highway when the speedo doesnt work.

This bike was like a space shuttle for 1986. Those auto-canceling turn signals? They auto cancel via the speed sensor AND an angle sensor in the steering stem, and the bike does some math to figure out if the turn signals should cancel. If either the speedo or the angle sensor stop working, the blinkers wont cancel.

Anyway, I'm glad I got it working because how else are you supposed to rack up bragging miles on a Goldwing if the odometer never moves?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 21, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I finally ventured out and got a floor jack so I could get the front wheel off the Goldwing, but I justified it to myself by saying I'll use the floor jack to take my winter wheels off my car instead of the janky screw jack that came with my car. It worked!

Anyway, I had to take the front wheel off because my speedometer quit at the end of the season last year. I replaced the $80 hall effect sensor and that fixed it for approximately one mile and the speedo died again and I left it. Turns out the grease inside the worm gear housing on the front wheel was rock solid and completely gummed up. Of course the Goldwing uses one of those tabbed rings that is basically made out of velveeta to drive the speedo worm gear so it folded over instantly at the mere thought of sticky grease.

Thankfully I had some bicycle chain degreaser laying around that instantly freed things up. I cleaned out the worm gear housing, refilled it with fresh grease, bent the tabs back out on the aforementioned cheese ring and put it all back together, it works again! :woop:

An 86 goldwing is surprisingly crippled by the speedo sensor not working. The auto-canceling turn signals, which actually work in 2020 by some manner of blessing from Soichiro Honda himself completely stop functioning without the speedo. The radios speed-sensitive (1986!) volume obviously also stops working, but I dont care about that because I never use the radio except to make sweet instagram videos. The suspension air pump (also another blessing from Mr. Honda in 2020) lockout is also speed-based rather than just being neutral-based, so you can totally adjust the air ride suspension at 80mph on the highway when the speedo doesnt work.

This bike was like a space shuttle for 1986. Those auto-canceling turn signals? They auto cancel via the speed sensor AND an angle sensor in the steering stem, and the bike does some math to figure out if the turn signals should cancel. If either the speedo or the angle sensor stop working, the blinkers wont cancel.

Anyway, I'm glad I got it working because how else are you supposed to rack up bragging miles on a Goldwing if the odometer never moves?

So much Honda in this post, I feel bloated now but in a good 'ten burritos' kind of way.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That is both beyond neato and also completely off putting. The Goldwing is a machine of contrasts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sitting here trying to visualize a 34yo k1600gt or multistrada, gave myself a migraine.

Trying to imagine a 30+ year old KTahahahahaaa

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The nice thing about the Goldwing is that yeah it has a lot of stuff to go wrong, but everything is very logically engineered. The few times I’ve had to tear into the bike it’s been both very well made (obviously) and made in a way that makes sense.

There isn’t much “engineering for the sake of engineering” on it thankfully

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Too much snow this week to ride, so changed the oil and filter in the Ninja.
I'm still waiting on more oil to show up to change oil and filter in the GS750, but given that I still haven't transferred the title and registered it and Secretary of State is closed, not like I can legally ride it at the moment anyway.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Where are you that you have so much snow still? I live in the “frozen tundra”, aka Wisconsin and we haven’t had snow on the ground since mid-February at least.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Idk, here in Maine two weeks ago I was riding to work Mon-Weds, 6 inches of snow on Thursday, and back to riding on Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I ran the 250 a little today. Revs dip momentarily if I gun the throttle, it doesn't seem to return back to idle quickly at all. I don't know how much of this is that maybe I didn't give it enough time to warm up and how much of it was my amateur carb cleaning over the winter. I might pull it apart and try to make sure everything is spic and span again.