Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Typically i just have a shitton of storage for it and one dude with a trader backpack who's sole job outside of moving poo poo is to go collect everything and melt it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Can the trader dude be automated? I tried shift-clicking a few things, but the best workflow I've gotten is manually running the dude back and forth and clicking on a shitzillion iron clubs. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's a little goofy.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Nah, the reason for the massive backpack and the tons of storages is so it only takes a couple of minutes every time i actually look at the base.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Carcer posted:

Obviously you should settle in Gut.

The name has no significance.

Is that your Gut feeling talking?

Btw, I love how you can knock people out without their companions noticing and make a long train of unconcious and robbed people across the desert sands :D

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I tried this game, mutiples times, and always bounced off of it. I think something finally clicked into place, however, and I want to play more. I have a couple of questions, though.

First is about mods. I downloaded some mods from Steam Workshop, but how do I organize them? I'm familiar with modding from Bethesda games, but is there any third party program to modify the load order? The Mods tab in the game seems to only show me the list and I'm worried I've got some that conflict or are overwirting each other in the wrong order. The mods are mostly things like "items stack" and some craftable training dummies.

Second, I started on the "you're a slave" start and got my two dudes pranking the guards left and right. I found out there are training dummies in the big central tower and managed to sneak one of them up there to train. Anything more I should be doing with that? His Melee attack went up a little over time but that's about it. Had him loaded with shackles and wearing armor. Also nabbed a guard's heavy weapon but training with it didn't seem to help anything.

Last, tried importing the previously mentioned slave game into a new, fresh slave start but it popped me out near the mines and not in them. I assume this is typical?

There's so goddamn much to this game and I'm eager to dig deeper. It feels like a game I should have played as a kid back in the late 90s or something. Got a weird nostalgia that for something that I never played before, but that could just be me.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

HoboTech posted:

I tried this game, mutiples times, and always bounced off of it. I think something finally clicked into place, however, and I want to play more. I have a couple of questions, though.

First is about mods. I downloaded some mods from Steam Workshop, but how do I organize them? I'm familiar with modding from Bethesda games, but is there any third party program to modify the load order? The Mods tab in the game seems to only show me the list and I'm worried I've got some that conflict or are overwirting each other in the wrong order. The mods are mostly things like "items stack" and some craftable training dummies.

Second, I started on the "you're a slave" start and got my two dudes pranking the guards left and right. I found out there are training dummies in the big central tower and managed to sneak one of them up there to train. Anything more I should be doing with that? His Melee attack went up a little over time but that's about it. Had him loaded with shackles and wearing armor. Also nabbed a guard's heavy weapon but training with it didn't seem to help anything.

Last, tried importing the previously mentioned slave game into a new, fresh slave start but it popped me out near the mines and not in them. I assume this is typical?

There's so goddamn much to this game and I'm eager to dig deeper. It feels like a game I should have played as a kid back in the late 90s or something. Got a weird nostalgia that for something that I never played before, but that could just be me.

As far as I can tell, the launcher allows you to change the load order just fine before to proceed into the actual game? I would set a load order and then use the Save Config button, just to be sure, but it seems to work fine for me.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Bofast posted:

As far as I can tell, the launcher allows you to change the load order just fine before to proceed into the actual game? I would set a load order and then use the Save Config button, just to be sure, but it seems to work fine for me.

I must have gone temporarily blind when I looked around because I missed whatever options those are. I'll go back and look again tonight, Thank you!

edit: Well goddamn, there's tab for mods.

HoboTech fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 6, 2020

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, I'm at the point where my squad of badasses can effortlessly obliterate fogmen and beak things (70-90 in str/dex, high 50s/low 60s in melee skills and heavy weapons), but still get their crap pushed in by the spider guards in deadlands ruins. Is there a stepping stone area I should be adventuring in, or is the solution to turn my squad of 3 badasses into a squad of 10 badasses?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
3 squads of 10 badasses, 2 of them equipped with crossbows

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Wowzer, that's doable... when you say 2 of them, do you mean "Six guys total, two per squad," or do you mean "Ten swords, twenty bows"? Because that second thing sounds hilarious and fun.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I mean 10 melees 20 shooters, and yeah it's pretty funny. Having one or two guys with bows you think "gosh these are rear end" and never use them again, having 20 of them ... changes that a bit :twisted:
e: don't even bother with the lovely bows for training, might as well go straight to the good stuff

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

That actually sounds awesome, especially since the training will be *way* easier when I don't have to wait for 20 extra guys to sleep off their vicious Bandit Beatdowns every 30 seconds- thanks for the tip!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

e: don't even bother with the lovely bows for training, might as well go straight to the good stuff

Might as well let them get their start manning harpoons

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

Might as well let them get their start manning harpoons

You know what's weird? When I was building my Shem base I was under constant, nonstop attack by like 5 different bandit groups, but now that the walls are nice & tidy I've only had, like, 1-2 tiny raids that were easily resolved by one angry dude with a giant sword- harpooning mans never even came up. (I'm sure that'll change once I get bored and start a second outpost in Gut or somewhere.)

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Gut is unlikely to be any more exciting. Beak Things offer little challenge at that level, but the AI doesn't know to spread out when fighting them so you'll be seeing a lot of raiding parties get murdered on the way to you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's actually a legitimate advantage. I used to make bases in the Vain simply to exploit the fact that all the Baka Things are basically free security that you don't have to feed. Make sure that they can't see your mens from outside your walls and they'll never attack you themselves, but any raids that get held up at your gate basically become an all-you-can buffet for the surrounding wildlife.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Is AI pathfinding still broken by double gates? I tried a double gate setup a few versions ago but dismantled it after it became apparent that I was never going to get attacked as the AI didn't understand how to attack the first gate and then the second.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a non-Steam download for the Baka Things mod? I have the GOG version and I didn't see anything on the nexusmods site.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Kenshi is No-Joke a breath of janky fresh air and I, I have fallen in love, also really easy to mod, although that ease might bite you in the nuts as I managed to make everything recruitable if I imprision them, however, that took away the traders dialogue.
for those who run a few mods like tame beasties and stackable bullshi and also Genmod but find that only some of your crap stacks, or only some of your farmyard fuckdolls accept food bags or animal nutrucksacks or whatever tf. pop open the forgottern cockchuffer and select all yo items like, select the first, slide tf down to the bottom and shift clack the last, there you go,
you awesome champion, next right click on that blue line, and choose "select field" slide down to stackable and pop a number that seems reasonable to you, say, 100, as that's what your ore storage uses, for instance.
next, for your beastly chums, do the same with animals, under races, right click, again, yeah, select bag, rucksack, i forget, and choose your animal lunch bag, now your bonedog alpha or whatever does not need so much micromanagement., also, if you go to the bag properties, you can embiggen them to fit limbs, maybe that will work? who knows.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just picked this up two days ago after never having heard about it before someone mentioned it in conversation about M&B Bannerlord.

Holy poo poo do I kinda love this game. Love the world, it kinda reminds me of Dark Sun meets Dwarf Fortress Adventurer Mode.

In the 48 hours I've owned it, I've spent 14 of them playing. And I haven't even really... done much? Did the Empire Citizen start, decided I wanted to start a farm for some "passive" income (lol no). Went outside town, set up a storm house, a cactus farm, and a still, and started pumping out cactus rum. Got a Hiver companion from the bar who specializes in farming, starting to set up a nice little operation... though with a lot of micromanaging / running away from skimmers and vagrants and slavers occasionally. Made the mistake of building walls too soon, now I'm constantly getting either raids or droves of starving vagrants tearing my poo poo down, beating me up, and taking over my distillery.

Extremely worth the 27 eurobucks imo.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Hell yeah!

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I am continually being assaulted by ninjas.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Random ninja assaults are just one of those things that happen. Think of it as a type of inclement weather.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Also is it normal to try to approach this game as guide- and spoiler-free as possible? I just want to soak in this world and everything in it immersively. The game is conducive to that, right?

Assuming I'm a sim/strategy gaming masochist who is okay with countless hours of suffering, I mean.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Drone posted:

Also is it normal to try to approach this game as guide- and spoiler-free as possible? I just want to soak in this world and everything in it immersively. The game is conducive to that, right?

Assuming I'm a sim/strategy gaming masochist who is okay with countless hours of suffering, I mean.
Oh yes, very. You can just walk around the world and stumble into all sorts of wonderful things just by reading in-game hints, listening to in-game rumors, and picking up the occasional quest. The game's wiki is fairly complete, but you should really only ever use it for reference. This is a game that really exploration for its own sake and there are many times when you will go "wow, I really did not see that coming" to yourself. Unless you have a specific question about mechanics, which this thread can likely answer, I recomment just going for it and letting the world surprise you.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, there's not really a plot exactly so nothing you really need a guide for. The only real "guide" that's worth knowing going in are pretty obvious things like "you need to use skills to improve them".

Other than that all of the places you absolutely should not go are always a joy to discover for the first time on your own :v:

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Is there a combat guide? Or is it literally "get beat up until you win"?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Schwza posted:

Is there a combat guide? Or is it literally "get beat up until you win"?
Getting beaten up is pretty good for you, since getting knocked out and getting up again is one of the easiest and fastest ways to train Toughness, so that's actually not entirely wrong.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yes, just listen to some Chumbawamba

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Just be careful, because some enemies will kidnap you to eat you.

Or if they're carnivorous beasts, eat you on the spot.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Azhais posted:

Yes, just listen to some Chumbawamba

unfortunately you cannot in fact drink the various alcoholic beverages in-game without mods, so the pre-chorus is impossible

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Can't walk five steps without being forced to murder 20 red sabres and 15 band of bones and 32 Baka things and a slaver caravan and some UC bitches who don't like when I turn their slaver bros into red paste

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Playing solo as a martial artist is a long rear end grind, but then you become Ken Shiro, Fist of the Motherfucking North Star, unleashing flying double knee strikes while taking on entire groups at a time.

Now that's satisfaction.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Turpitude posted:

Can't walk five steps without being forced to murder 20 red sabres and 15 band of bones and 32 Baka things and a slaver caravan and some UC bitches who don't like when I turn their slaver bros into red paste
I am not the first to remind everyone that Kenshi is the most sighs as I unsheathe my katana game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Starting as a slave and turning slavers into a thin red mist via devastating kung fu is an excellent time

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Starting as a slave and turning slavers into a thin red mist via devastating kung fu is an excellent time

If you fight with your first, you are never truly disarmed*

* does not include dismemberment

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

The slave start is the most game-breaking start because your dude(s) can end up with high levels of stealth, assassination, lockpick, and martial arts. Rebirth is more a ninja training ground than a slave camp.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

HoboTech posted:

Rebirth is more a ninja training ground than a slave camp.
It's honestly kind of amazing that they've managed to come as far with that statue as they have, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

soo ive owned this forever but never really fired it up. decided to learn it since it seems super unique.

off to a good start