Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

What... what has this got to do with tolerance? And he knows this is as much an indictment of the right, right?

Dude is a parody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
https://twitter.com/Alexpofficial_/status/1247600793244577792

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What... what has this got to do with tolerance? And he knows this is as much an indictment of the right, right?

Dude is a parody

"So much for the tolerant left" is the "thanks obama" of our day.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

How would that work then? Did the left employ some sort of anti-clapping technique to perfectly cancel out the sound produced by all the gammons enthusiastically clapping?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I would have clapped, but there wasn't a news article saying he was dead

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Could you sleep if you knew Raab had access to them, though?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I thought they could at least get people confused thinking the 8pm NHS clap was a weekly thing but nope.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Twitter was mostly full of people saying they don't want him to die but gently caress off clapping for him.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/samisam147/status/1247608878944190464?s=19

Lol

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Went into town for the first time since all this kicked off. Absolutely dead except for one old guy with a bottle of vodka who asked me if I could get Bon Jovi on my headphones even though they're modern, and if so, could he listen to some.

Otherwise pretended I was the last person left on the planet

It was actually kind of relaxing. Moreso than being in the middle of a plague, anyway

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Barry Foster posted:

Went into town for the first time since all this kicked off. Absolutely dead except for one old guy with a bottle of vodka who asked me if I could get Bon Jovi on my headphones even though they're modern, and if so, could he listen to some.

Otherwise pretended I was the last person left on the planet

It was actually kind of relaxing. Moreso than being in the middle of a plague, anyway

You need to have a go at detached irony about it it's a lot more pleasant for your brain

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Some of the estimations about his chances of living have been a bit glum, not as its about him, but everybody else going through similar motions at the moment. We're at 55,200 confirmed cases and 6,100 deaths (that they've seemed to have reported less after Boris went in)

Continue gloating but saying his chances at living are down to a coin flip might be poo poo for some people reading maybe.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

justcola posted:

Some of the estimations about his chances of living have been a bit glum, not as its about him, but everybody else going through similar motions at the moment. We're at 55,200 confirmed cases and 6,100 deaths (that they've seemed to have reported less after Boris went in)

Continue gloating but saying his chances at living are down to a coin flip might be poo poo for some people reading maybe.

Yeah true, though I've started being grim and just intentionally frightening my family and friends into protecting themselves more.

I kinda feel like there actually is a time for grim scary truths it turns out and I feel like it's now.
Things are gonna get worse before they get better.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I think PJW just has a thing for big daddy men tbh

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

John Rentoul is taking a principled stand against consequences,

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1247565360431280140

also strings of garlic, holy water, etc

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

I think PJW just has a thing for big daddy men tbh

Alex jones has a pretty good bear bod but I don't see the appeal in bojo tbh.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

Alex jones has a pretty good bear bod but I don't see the appeal in bojo tbh.

He's rich op

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I just took a poo poo for Boris

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

josh04 posted:

John Rentoul is taking a principled stand against consequences,

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1247565360431280140

also strings of garlic, holy water, etc
He overheard someone talking about mobs with pitchforks and torches

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

How rich is he anyway? And will any of his bastard sires see any of that filthy cash?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jose posted:

You need to have a go at detached irony about it it's a lot more pleasant for your brain

I'm usually 90% of the way there but some small voice in my head does sometimes worry that if I go too far that way the bits I've tourniqued will go gangrenous and fall off

huge amounts of weed helps shut that guy up tho

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 7, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Failed Imagineer posted:

How rich is he anyway? And will any of his bastard sires see any of that filthy cash?

gently caress knows, millionaire almost certainly, likely 10 millionaire, probably not hundred millionaire at a guess.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Speaking of rich, Bojo believes people should pay for healthcare to appreciate it more.
Will he pay for this? Also, that should mean rich people pay far more because otherwise they would under appreciate it themselves.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
drat he's going to pull through

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Barry Foster posted:

I'm usually 90% of the way there but some small voice in my head does sometimes worry that if I go too far that way the bits I've tourniqued will go gangrenous and fall off

huge amounts of weed helps shut that guy up tho

Oh yeah it's a bit of an issue largely not giving a poo poo about your own mortality sometimes but it makes pandemics a lot easier lol

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

Remember, when he was Foreign Sec he rented out his home house to a saudi business man.
Then when he was fired he squatted in downing street until he was forced out to get max money from his own home

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
He's not even been tubed yet, so maybe he got taken to intensive care way before any pleb would have been taken.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bardeh posted:

He's not even been tubed yet, so maybe he got taken to intensive care way before any pleb would have been taken.

According to Ontario’s numbers it seems like about half of covid patients in the ICU here are on vents at any given point

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Katty! posted:

I've had like 8 days in class this semester between strike action and closing for the virus, now all I'm getting are powerpoint slides with audio recorded over them. naturally I'm still expected to pay the full fee
Sincere question, not trying to dig at you: what do you actually want, beyond for the coronavirus to not be happening? I'm a computer science lecturer, and from where I'm standing all the options look poo poo, but powerpoint slides with audio looks the least poo poo. Livestreaming lectures is far more trouble than it's worth in most cases, since even in CS we can't rely on our students having a stable Internet connection right now, or even a free schedule if they're caring for others, and despite our best efforts there was never much interaction with the audience in lectures anyway. From our end we're spending more time on teaching now rather than less, since (again even in CS) most of us have never done online lectures before, and you don't have to do multiple takes or try different encodings or deal with the university's godawful video upload system with a live lecture.

Also worth noting: the management of just about every UK university that's not Oxbridge is visibly making GBS threads themselves in terror at the implications for their finances. We get most of our money from tuition fees - particularly from international students - and enrolment of new first years is going to dive off a cliff in October. Hiring freezes and even layoffs are fairly common in the sector right now. I'm pretty sure management couldn't refund anyone's fees if they wanted to. (Of course, the obvious answer here is for the government to step in and help, but lol if you think that's going to happen under the tories.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's hard to see anything happening unless the universities face some consequences, if they're going to sell education as a commodity they can't be immune from consequences when they fail to provide it. And they also can't be allowed to use staff as human shields for their lovely governance.

But I don't think that just levying 30k of debt on everyone who wants anything other than the most basic job, regardless of whether they actually get anything out of it, is an acceptable end state, the consequences have to kick in somewhere, the money has to be going somewhere because it's sure as poo poo not going to the people who work at the universities.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

:ironicat:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Red brick uni bankruptcies would be something to see

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Still not looking good for Michael Rosen :(

https://twitter.com/MichaelRosenYes/status/1247555644456161280?s=20

https://twitter.com/Underthecranes/status/1247586201156177920?s=20

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

New Labour leader Starmer praised by Jewish groups for 'good start'

Starmer off to a good start by flipping everyones switch from anti-Semite to pro-Semite or some such.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

fwiw our management are working on a projection that Sept 2020 entry cohort will be generating 40% less in tuition fee income than planned
although these are also the management whose contingency plan for campus closure before now assumed two weeks max so possibly optimistic lol

we’ve been ordered to take rotating furloughs through the team even though it’s back office stuff not affected by campus closing
plus all the usual stuff from a budget crisis like cap-ex budget reduced to zero, all hiring frozen, voluntary redundancies to be started soon, management taking paycuts

there is no money to refund students, barring a giant loving miracle.

there’s a lot of unis in worse shape than us. going to be bankruptcies

e: to add, it really sucks that you’re not getting the face-to-face teaching you expected when you signed up. but the teaching that you are getting isn’t costing the uni any less to provide unfortunately

Cerv fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 7, 2020

minema
May 31, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

Sincere question, not trying to dig at you: what do you actually want, beyond for the coronavirus to not be happening?

As a third year student, mostly I just want reliable communication from lecturers - we keep getting emails saying "more details will follow later today/tomorrow/this week" and then just nothing from them after that. Even if they're waiting for more details themselves it would be much better if they actually told us that.

edit: this is probably worsened since it's a health care degree and we've been waiting to hear about temporary registration etc. If it was happening in my first degree (psychology) I would probably be less bothered.

minema fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 7, 2020

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

pumpinglemma posted:

Sincere question, not trying to dig at you: what do you actually want, beyond for the coronavirus to not be happening? I'm a computer science lecturer, and from where I'm standing all the options look poo poo, but powerpoint slides with audio looks the least poo poo. Livestreaming lectures is far more trouble than it's worth in most cases, since even in CS we can't rely on our students having a stable Internet connection right now, or even a free schedule if they're caring for others, and despite our best efforts there was never much interaction with the audience in lectures anyway. From our end we're spending more time on teaching now rather than less, since (again even in CS) most of us have never done online lectures before, and you don't have to do multiple takes or try different encodings or deal with the university's godawful video upload system with a live lecture.

Granted my Uni might have just been poo poo, but almost all of my mathematics lectures were us just copying down what the lecturer wrote on the blackboard, which they themselves were copying from their notes from previous years. We literally spent about 15 hours a week manually copying formulas and stuff. The economics ones weren't much better as they simply regurgitated what was in the prescribed textbooks. It was like routine for them and when i resat one of the lectures one year it was weird because it was a little like groundhog day.

There was even one year where i skipped all of the economics classes, didn't even do the coursework or final exam, and was all but guaranteed a fail. Over the summer i just read the course textbook and then aced the re-sit which gave me a passing mark. Kind of put things into perspective for me.

I'm not really dissing on universities and whatnot because education is important, but if a class is essentially just churning out knowledge from other sources, what is the justification for the crazy high fees? Do other universities and other courses have more engaging teaching methods or is it secretly about the social network you build up at university which is the real thing that propels you into the next stage of your life?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What did all the money get spent on, if you don't mind me asking?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

OwlFancier posted:

It's hard to see anything happening unless the universities face some consequences, if they're going to sell education as a commodity they can't be immune from consequences when they fail to provide it. And they also can't be allowed to use staff as human shields for their lovely governance.

But I don't think that just levying 30k of debt on everyone who wants anything other than the most basic job, regardless of whether they actually get anything out of it, is an acceptable end state, the consequences have to kick in somewhere, the money has to be going somewhere because it's sure as poo poo not going to the people who work at the universities.
Can I just point out that no-one working at a university ever loving wanted to sell education as a commodity to begin with? Credit for that idea goes to Blair, Cameron and Clegg.

e: As for where the money went, I think mostly the government cut the teaching budget to match so we never got much (if any) extra money to begin with. In terms of what waste I can see now, mostly the existence of upper management and their fetish for shiny new buildings.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

pumpinglemma posted:

Can I just point out that no-one working at a university ever loving wanted to sell education as a commodity to begin with? Credit for that idea goes to Blair, Cameron and Clegg.

e: As for where the money went, I think mostly the government cut the teaching budget to match so we never got much (if any) extra money to begin with. In terms of what waste I can see now, mostly the existence of upper management and their fetish for shiny new buildings.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-29262526