Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Carbohydrates posted:

Hey now, Rock Raiders kicked rear end. You want a garbage System theme, it's gotta be Time Cruisers, aka "we have all these pieces from recently discontinued themes and have no idea what to do with them."

also I made (free) instructions for the tools and poo poo from my Dad's Garage mini builds I did last year if anyone wants 'em just fyi

It still mystifies me that I had EVERY GODDAMNED SET from the Time Cruisers line, but it was UFO that ushered in my dark age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Captain Invictus posted:

nothing will top galidor

Also had to look this up. Grim. Very grim.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Carbohydrates posted:

Hey now, Rock Raiders kicked rear end. You want a garbage System theme, it's gotta be Time Cruisers, aka "we have all these pieces from recently discontinued themes and have no idea what to do with them."

Haha I forgot about Time Cruisers [I have a false memory of there being two factions- the Time Cruisers (good guys) and the Time Twisters (bad guys)]. Mandela effect strikes again?

I admit I’m a bit of a lovely traditionalist with lego- I like Pirates, Castle, Town, Space (and anything that could fit tangentially with one of those- my Adventurers caroused with pirates and my Aquazone chilled with the other space factions a la a water planet) and pretty much nothing else so to each their own I guess. I certainly wasn’t one of the people keeping the company alive by buying bionicles but man am I glad it survived on the backs of that so we can enjoy the great stuff coming out now. Now there’s something for literally everyone and that’s a good thing.

But yeah, that Mario... they could have gone about that in a better way. I’m thinking more like Mario 64 than Mario 3. You have all three dimensions, why not use them?

E: also UFO. We had more money when these were coming out but I desperately wanted Blacktron and company and they were never coming back. It just made me kind of sad to get a UFO compared to the only time I got a Spyrius set.

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 7, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

veni veni veni posted:

How so? It's almost certainly the most popular Star Wars merch out there.

Maybe. But my point was don't underestimate how much of a money making juggernaut Star Wars is, it literally invented movie merchandise and sells a ridiculous range of figures, toys, lightsabres, games, comic books and a sorts of other tat. Star Wars figures are like the archetypal collectable. I'm sure the Lego sells well but it was much more instrumental in keeping Lego afloat, whereas for Lucasfilm it was just another goldmine.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Haha I forgot about Time Cruisers [I have a false memory of there being two factions- the Time Cruisers (good guys) and the Time Twisters (bad guys)]. Mandela effect strikes again?

I admit I’m a bit of a lovely traditionalist with lego- I like Pirates, Castle, Town, Space (and anything that could fit tangentially with one of those- my Adventurers caroused with pirates and my Aquazone chilled with the other space factions a la a water planet) and pretty much nothing else so to each their own I guess. I certainly wasn’t one of the people keeping the company alive by buying bionicles but man am I glad it survived on the backs of that so we can enjoy the great stuff coming out now. Now there’s something for literally everyone and that’s a good thing.

But yeah, that Mario... they could have gone about that in a better way. I’m thinking more like Mario 64 than Mario 3. You have all three dimensions, why not use them?

E: also UFO. We had more money when these were coming out but I desperately wanted Blacktron and company and they were never coming back. It just made me kind of sad to get a UFO compared to the only time I got a Spyrius set.

That's not false, there was a good guy and bad guy faction. Have a look at the Brickset page again, the bad guy sets are labelled Time Twisters.

I liked a lot of those late 90s themes actually. Even if the sets weren't great they usually had cool concepts and decent parts. Of course, I was the right age for them in the late 90s too.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Captain Invictus posted:

nothing will top galidor

:thunk:

Wish I hadn’t googled that

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Galidor makes Fabuland look awesome imo

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Galidor was brilliant and underappreciated. The protagonist could glinch, which is like shapeshifting except only for arms, and only for arms he'd seen (think Weird Ben 10) and those arms gave him the ability to do stuff he couldn't do with his normal arms. What kind of stuff? He could lift heavy things, do karate (arms sometimes come with knowledge!), cut things, hack computers, shoot mans, uh, fly (with wings instead of arms), uh, did I say shoot mans? Also sometimes he can do more than one of these at once.

Also he's looking for a key, but the key is in pieces. He has to get all the pieces of the key before the bad guys do or something bad will presumably happen.

Also his dad died at the beginning of the series but he's not really dead and Ben 10 Nick finds out in the last episode ever.

Come on, guys, does that not sound radical? Have you never seen someone else and been like "gotta have those arms"? Just stealing arms, left and right, crazy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Galidor makes Fabuland look awesome imo

fabuland is already awesome though???

OSU_Matthew posted:

:thunk:

Wish I hadn’t googled that

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I had to look this up. I was thinking insectoids, rock raiders kind of stuff but holy poo poo this is on another level of awful

Lizard Combatant posted:

Also had to look this up. Grim. Very grim.
loooooook into my dead eeeeeeyes

I seeeee yoooooou

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Captain Invictus posted:

fabuland is already awesome though???

loooooook into my dead eeeeeeyes

I seeeee yoooooou

I wasn't going to get any sleep anyway.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I definitely had the Galidor robot guy and a bunch of the lovely McDonald’s tie-in toys. I vaguely recall a similar theme of Knights they did later with better pieces and actual LEGO.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm not sold on the execution of LEGO Mario and I have no personal interest in the sets but the general concept of an action figure that reacts to things you build with lego is going to be catnip to little kids. Dunno if that will be enough to carry the line but just because the concept is not "sell nostalgia bait to aging nerds" doesn't mean that it's a guaranteed failure.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Straight White Shark posted:

I'm not sold on the execution of LEGO Mario and I have no personal interest in the sets but the general concept of an action figure that reacts to things you build with lego is going to be catnip to little kids. Dunno if that will be enough to carry the line but just because the concept is not "sell nostalgia bait to aging nerds" doesn't mean that it's a guaranteed failure.

Goons are terrible at understanding that a product is not a bad idea just because it's targeted at a demographic they're not in.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah I don't really have any nostalgia for mario, having never had a Nintendo console. It just looks the worst of both worlds to me, an inferior game to the real thing and an inferior building experience. Big, ugly, single use parts, no new colours and a lack of appealing minifigs will cut out another chunk of the market. I don't know how well any of these gimmicky "game" sets do (the star wars target shooting sets, for example), but they seem to cycle through them regularly without hitting on a winner. I'm probably wrong though, they've probably market tested it thoroughly.

e: I do think they haven't made a good impression as to what it actually is

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 7, 2020

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I definitely had the Galidor robot guy and a bunch of the lovely McDonald’s tie-in toys. I vaguely recall a similar theme of Knights they did later with better pieces and actual LEGO.

I remember those too, the Knights Kingdom big figs. Not great sets, but they were the first to have the click hinge joints that were used for the limbs on the Exo Force sets. That was a cool line, and those joints are really handy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They really need to put out a video that shows what the game actually is.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I think the Mario thing will be moderately successful. People will buy it for nostalgia and collections, some will buy it for the printed pieces to make their own Mario MOCs, and I'm sure some kids will be hella into it. I hope it opens the door for more Nintendo licenses.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

It just looks the worst of both worlds to me, an inferior game to the real thing and an inferior building experience.

I think the disconnect is that you're evaluating it as a game and a building experience and not as a playset. I suspect the reason that the "game" is so vague is that it's just window dressing for the fact that you have a figure to play with that emotes pain when you pretend to dunk it in lava.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

I think the disconnect is that you're evaluating it as a game and a building experience and not as a playset. I suspect the reason that the "game" is so vague is that it's just window dressing for the fact that you have a figure to play with that emotes pain when you pretend to dunk it in lava.

You're probably right. Best of luck to them.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My Mustang was finally posted and should be here on Thursday, perfect for the long Easter weekend. I am so excited...

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Hopper posted:

My Mustang was finally posted and should be here on Thursday, perfect for the long Easter weekend. I am so excited...

You should be. I have all the creator expert cars and the Mustang is easily the best.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Mustang has the best play features so far, but the F40 is still the best build. :colbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, it's tough to beat the F40. I'm really glad some goon convinced me to get it.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
That F40 looks pretty tempting. Thinking about the Mustang before it gets discontinued on account of the praise itt but money's a bit tight right now for additional Lego :homebrew:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The 2020 Speed Champions F40 was a fun build and decent model for 20 bucks, although not being able to close the roof over the driver’s big Italian hair is a goddamn crime.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kids can get bored of things like that really fast. It reminds me of the game mouse trap. It will be fun to assemble, and start the rube goldberg, and maybe actually play once or twice, but it won't last too long because it is so limited.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, it's tough to beat the F40. I'm really glad some goon convinced me to get it.

One of my very few impulse buys. Don't regret it at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

The 2020 Speed Champions F40 was a fun build and decent model for 20 bucks, although not being able to close the roof over the driver’s big Italian hair is a goddamn crime.

Do you mean the F8?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://brickset.com/sets/75890-1/Ferrari-F40-Competizione

That one, I think.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Do you mean the F8?

Yeah it's the F8 you can't fit the Italian hair in. Even if you take off the Italian hair it still doesn't fit.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

Kids can get bored of things like that really fast. It reminds me of the game mouse trap. It will be fun to assemble, and start the rube goldberg, and maybe actually play once or twice, but it won't last too long because it is so limited.

It's... Lego. You build the weird little board game once, play with it for 5 minutes, then say gently caress it and have Mario and the green ninja fight the goomba pirates of Hoth

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Cojawfee posted:

Do you mean the F8?

Woops yes, the F8

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Yeah it's the F8 you can't fit the Italian hair in. Even if you take off the Italian hair it still doesn't fit.

Mine fits without the hair, or even with the helmet if you finagle it just so. The hair though...not even Ferrari can contain it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

That F40 looks pretty tempting. Thinking about the Mustang before it gets discontinued on account of the praise itt but money's a bit tight right now for additional Lego :homebrew:

Yeah don't buy Lego now if you can't really afford it. Times are strange. I have been stuck at home due to shelter-at-home for 3 weeks now, that way I automatically save a bit of money on lunch etc., simply because I can't go out to spend it.

However, I only bought the set because I am in the position to have a remote job anyway and one that isn't affected by the lockdown at that. I am very lucky that all I had to do was move my computer from my shared office to my home.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

yeah as much as I'd love to buy some huge set right now in the midst of all of this, I keep having to remind myself I don't have a job anymore.

What makes it worse is I've always kind of looked at my collection as an emergency nest egg if poo poo gets bad, and now I wonder how well Lego will hold it's value if I need to sell my collection for some reason. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. At least it's probably more stable than a 401k atm lol. Who knows what the value on a luxury item like lego will look like when the economy is completely hosed though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 8, 2020

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
There's always a collectors' market for collectibles just by virtue of the price of entry, but much like the crash of 2008 I feel there are suddenly a lot fewer folks able to add to their collections. My most valuable sets are the ones from when I was a kid (eg Imperial Trading Post)- anything I've purchased in adulthood I've paid fair value or more (though Ninjago City seems to have immediately appreciated in value) so it's less a store of value for me than a pure sunk cost. But I'd never sell any of it anyway honestly, it's too much fun to have and to look at and to build. Whichever cousin inherits all of this is going to have an incredible collection for their kids or see a nice payday or both.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

yeah as much as I'd love to buy some huge set right now in the midst of all of this, I keep having to remind myself I don't have a job anymore.

What makes it worse is I've always kind of looked at my collection as an emergency nest egg if poo poo gets bad, and now I wonder how well Lego will hold it's value if I need to sell my collection for some reason. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. At least it's probably more stable than a 401k atm lol. Who knows what the value on a luxury item like lego will look like when the economy is completely hosed though.

My Bricklink sales are up the last two weeks.

Yes, they hold value, but they take forever to sell. It might be worth $X, but then you have to wait for someone to come along who wants to buy it at that price. And you know how deep the Lego catalog is!
Looking at it as a retirement investment is a terrible idea.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No I'm not looking at it as a retirement investment. I have zero interest in selling my collection and I buy Lego because I like it. I'm just saying if poo poo hits fan, at least at this point in time, my collection could probably get me by for 4 or 5 months. I'm just not sure if that'll be the case down the road. I mean, if it comes down to food or Lego, food wins.

But I'm also not dead broke yet and hopefully my unemployment claim stops pending at some point and then poo poo goes back to normal, but who knows?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

My mind just can't parse that blue thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Darth TNT posted:

My mind just can't parse that blue thing.

It’s a Butt Ugly Martian loving a Skeksis.