Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Taear posted:

My point was about how the characters reacted to his death and etc anyway, who cares if people want to write about him and rean hooking up?

"Character reactions" as in the characters in the game.
Why is the idea that a lot of people did buy the Crow stuff so hard to gel with? I was just joking anyway, it's totally fair for it to not work for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh CS 2 forgets about most of the cast.

Which to be fair I think is a combination of way to large a cast and the fact that it apparently has some development issues but of the three trails series I played I think it had the weakest characters

I don't really agree at all.

Gaius being as fully developed as a teenage character could be with no outstanding mental trauma to council at, and thus being Rean's councillor, and then being the most emotionally invested in the war due to his entire way of life being threatened made him into my favorite male character in the series, even before his promotion in CS3. But most people only seem to see mental trauma as focus, so they tend to think he doesn't do anything.

I'd say this amounts to more focus than Agate and Tita get in Sky, and they get the most after Joshua and Estelle if you ask me.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 8, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Nate RFB posted:

So much of this is confounding, but I'll just ask, are you conflating the Azure Tree with like Crossbell, in general? The extent of the Azure Tree playing into events in CS2 are: the crew checking it out on the deck of the Courageous, going "wtf", and moving on because they have bigger poo poo to deal with in Erebonia. That's it. It never again matters, directly, for the plot that unfolds for those characters in that situation. All the other stuff with Garrelia Fortress, the Trade Conference, are wholly separate incidents that are also equally, discussed and moved on from. This post reads more like fist being shook at Falcom in general for having the gall to have Crossbell as a world building plot point, at all.

I'm not mad it's a plot point. I'm sad that I can't finish the tree story, the Gideon story and find out what happened to the fortress and that the end of TOCS2 was a boring slog with a character I didn't know when I kinda wanted the game to end.
It all takes place in games that aren't officially out here.

I'm sorta baffled that you're saying it doesn't matter in TOCS2. It's mentioned and we visit the location. Mentioned by loads of people! And the destruction of the fortress is a massive deal that they talk about for a while and makes them worried about calvard. Plus that fortress is an important location in both tocs1 and 2!

I just wanted closure on them and I can never get that.

Endorph posted:

Why is the idea that a lot of people did buy the Crow stuff so hard to gel with? I was just joking anyway, it's totally fair for it to not work for you.

I think you're responding to me here like I'm the only person who has mentioned it when it's three other posters as well. I don't feel he was in the class long enough, which is also what dmboogie said.
Their reactions felt out of place to me personally because Crow spends way more time as your enemy than as your friend.
Imagine if all the stuff that happened with him happened with Alicia instead? I think that would have had way more impact!

MythosDragon posted:

Gaius being as fully developed as a teenage character could be with no outstanding mental trauma to council at, and thus being Rean's councillor, and then being the most emotionally invested in the war

I think you have tocs3 spoilers there?
This might rely on you having bonding events with Gaius. I never did - which is my own fault of course - so he just faded into the background. Sorta like Elliot and Jusis did a bit but because they have bigger points in the overall story in 2 it stops it being as pronounced.

Taear fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 8, 2020

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
It would have been pretty wild if Crow's arc happened with the queen of liberl, I agree

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SC Bracer posted:

It would have been pretty wild if Crow's arc happened with the queen of liberl, I agree
Kloe's grandma talking about all the sweet tail in the city, making chest jokes, wielding a darth maul sword

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MythosDragon posted:

Gaius being as fully developed as a teenage character could be with no outstanding mental trauma to council at, and thus being Rean's councillor, and then being the most emotionally invested in the war due to his entire way of life being threatened made him into my favorite male character in the series, even before his promotion to the most plot relevant occupation in the series. But most people only seem to see mental trauma as focus, so they tend to think he doesn't do anything.

I'd say this amounts to more focus than Agate and Tita get in Sky, and they get the most after Joshua and Estelle if you ask me.

Eh I never got that from Gaius though I think his development being he never needed any is a bit of a cop out. Emma doesn’t really do anything besides dispense some lore and I think she is the second most underdeveloped in all the trails I played

The first is Ries 3 did her loving dirty

Even Machias and uh the rich dude I forget his name are a bit underdeveloped after their little relationship gets mended. Even though both of them should have been a lot more important in two than they are

Now I should note I am only talking about the first two because I haven’t played three. I also think the first two create a complete story even if a kind of downer one

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Taear posted:

I'm not mad it's a plot point. I'm sad that I can't finish the tree story, the Gideon story and find out what happened to the fortress and that the end of TOCS2 was a boring slog with a character I didn't know when I kinda wanted the game to end.
It all takes place in games that aren't officially out here.

I'm sorta baffled that you're saying it doesn't matter in TOCS2. It's mentioned and we visit the location. Mentioned by loads of people! And the destruction of the fortress is a massive deal that they talk about for a while and makes them worried about calvard. Plus that fortress is an important location in both tocs1 and 2!
I don't know what to tell you, I don't think it does, for all of the reason I've already stated. Like I guess it's just a thing we'll have to call subjective but I did not care about those things during the course of events of CS2 to the extent that it was able to impact my enjoyment of that story, because I felt I had adequately picked up from context what was getting across and understood it to be further world building elements that did not matter to the direct problem at at hand for the characters I was playing at the time. A counter example I would bring up is the Estelle/Joshua/Renne subplot in Zero which dramatically depends on the player being familiar with those people and their arcs from the Sky game and thus caring when some rather emotional stuff winds up going down for them.

It's OK to be mad at CS2 for having the Lloyd dungeon because it's just kind of a bad dungeon and a bad idea to have it in the game at all when CS2 is already kind of a overly padded, bloated mess. Cold Steel has a ton of pacing and structure problems that have nothing to do with what references it does or does not make to the other games in the franchise and it's fine to just take Falcom to task for that.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I can't quote everyone without a huge line, so I'm gonna skip that if it's okay.

I never even imagined someone playing CS and not save and loading to see every bond event beyond the finals, so thats not something I ever took into consideration.
Going through your development faster is what happens when you're from a nomadic tribe that teaches you self sufficiency since before you can walk, Gaius is basically 5 years older than everyone else in terms of mentality. Can't lie, beyond her plot role, I kinda feel the same about Emma, but that doesnt mean she didn't get focus. CS2 literally ends with "This story is complete, but more stories shall come in Erebonia" so yeah, complete story.

On the Crow discussion there's one major thing you need to take into account, CS1 clearly defines the time taken, and while the game skips over 90% of it, it still happens, so Crow lived and bonded with everyone every timeskip in addition to the content we actually saw. It took less time for Joshua to fall in love with Estelle(Who can blame him), so our equally bleeding heart class 7 would totally value that bond. If I'd make one change to CS, It'd be adding in 2 or 3 scenes like this every time the game skips a few weeks, Crow starting a food fight while Sharon cleans it in real time is something I need in my life.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

MythosDragon posted:

Pretty sure Yun Kafai collecting the 7 Divine Blades is gonna be a major plot point eventually in Calvard based on how important all 3 of the ones we have so far are and how much time he spends in the East. Gives me hope for Anelace to get more screen time eventually, Richard going to Calvard years ago might reveal that he trained under him too, but I'm iffy on Richard actually showing up on account of the fact that it's been like 3 years since he went to Calvard and who knows if we're getting another timeskip after Origins.

I dont think there's a single character in Cold Steel that gets as little love as Sky gave Zin.

Moon Door 2, best door barring Star Door 14.

Richard was trained by Cassius, though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Other than the end of TOCS2 it didn't really ruin my enjoyment of the story - it just felt strange. Like something had been cut out of the game or they'd run out of time. I didn't even know the crossbell games existed when i played TOCS2 until I googled Gideon.

It felt far more jarring chapter 2 of TOCS3. I guess if we'd had a full chapter of Liberl stuff I'd have said the same thing about TITS being needed.

Its not me saying "my game is ruined by this" it's more saying that playing the Crossbell games feels almost as relevant to the story (specifically of chapter 2 of TOCS3) as playing TOCS1/2.
Almost.

I'm just imagining playing the game on a proper difficulty level now and having to engage more with arts and orders and having my brain melt.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Supremezero posted:

Richard was trained by Cassius, though.

My first draft was "Richard wasn't trained by Kafai so not much chance of him" But then I realized he went to Calvard, he might have met Kafai and got further training as a plausible reason for him to have another role in the series.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

MythosDragon posted:

On the Crow discussion there's one major thing you need to take into account, CS1 clearly defines the time taken, and while the game skips over 90% of it, it still happens, so Crow lived and bonded with everyone every timeskip in addition to the content we actually saw. It took less time for Joshua to fall in love with Estelle(Who can blame him), so our equally bleeding heart class 7 would totally value that bond.

Well, the difference between Joshua and Crow is that Joshua actively sought to avoid bringing harm to Estelle by leaving. Crow, on the other hand, led a terrorist group that kidnapped Alfin and Elise, helped the Noble Alliance take over Thors, threatened to attack Ymir with the Pantagruel, et cetera. For Class VII to still hold a largely positive view of the guy after these incidents and just be sad that he's not with them is rather silly. Crow doesn't seem particularly remorseful of his actions and even his backstory doesn't justify the lengths he took to carry out his revenge against Osborne. Cold Steel's fixation with friendship and camaraderie becomes this preachy platitude the more the Cold Steel arc goes on and Crow is a good example of that.

There's also the popular fan theory Crow and Rean's dynamic is the remnant of a love story between two canned protagonists that never made it into the final version of Cold Steel 1. The blonde girl here was supposed to be the protagonist and the black-haired boy was going to have something akin to Crow's role in the story.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Thanks that's basically what I wanted to say.

One thing that's interesting to me is the ratio of the achievements for top bonds with certain characters. It surprises me somewhat that Altina has 5.2% of people with hers whereas it's only 4.9% with Alicia. Or 2.3% with Musse and 4% with Sara!
Especially since in this one you can do loads at once without requiring reloads and etc. I wonder how people play and what makes them pick who they do.
Machias is the lowest, poor guy.

Taear fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 8, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cheev stats are always bizarre

I focused on the new kids on my first run since they're, well, new. A new game gives you just enough Friendship Units for all their events.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

Cheev stats are always bizarre

I focused on the new kids on my first run since they're, well, new. A new game gives you just enough Friendship Units for all their events.

Because they're new I expected people to focus on them less, wanting to chat to the people they've grown to love.
Definitely didn't care much about Kurt or Ash so I think I only did one Kurt event.

Still, it surprises me that Musse is so low. I get people focusing on Kurt and Juna I guess, but I'm still curious.

I also kinda assume most people only play through once, like me. Bit big and samey to do a second run.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Musse is going to be a lot more interesting in CS4 but for now she's The One Who Teases Rean. We already had like five of those and they all do it better.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Taear posted:

Yea people ship characters because they think they're attractive, doesn't matter much what they do or who they are.
I don't HATE Crow or anything. He's just a bit nothingy to me and I feel the character reactions to him are overplayed I guess.

My big problem with Crow in CS 2 is that no one is allowed to have an opinion about him different than that of Rean's. All the bad stuff that the ILF did and attempted to do in CS 1 - that gets flushed down the memory hole. Gaius doesn't care that Crow's people tried to use his beloved homeland as a battlefield between superpowers. Machias doesn't stick to his CS 1 guns that "terrorists need to be dealt with an iron fist", nor does he care that the ILF attacked and injured his father. Rean doesn't care that the ILF kidnapped his sister (and that his sister was kidnapped again and the ILF is still allied with the Noble Faction. No one cares that the ILF killed, for real (not just "they're knocked out"), dozens of soldiers at Garrellia Fortress. Rean doesn't care, he wants Crow to be his friend again, so the rest of the class doesn't get to have any opinion different from that.

Rean is harsh towards Scarlett once she gets captured, but yet continues to talk about Crow coming back and being friends and graduating like nothing has changed and Crow isn't a murderer and an accessory to murder, he's just good ol' Crow. Sure, part of that is probably denial, but the problem is that no one gives Rean a nudging reality check. That should be Sara's job and she does not do that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So apparently Skip movies is not what I thought the option was for CS3. How many did I miss before starting chapter 3?

I ask because I only realized that was why Rean was air fist bumping a tree for no reason when there was supposed to be a cutscene there.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tae posted:

So apparently Skip movies is not what I thought the option was for CS3. How many did I miss before starting chapter 3?

like a billion

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

I ask because I only realized that was why Rean was air fist bumping a tree for no reason when there was supposed to be a cutscene there.
what did you think the option was for

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

movies about Skip, naturally

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Endorph posted:

what did you think the option was for

Skip the opening of the game's start up.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I'm not too fond of Crow myself and honestly agree, but after reading thousands of stories, I've learned to just ignore characters being slightly strange for the sake of the plot and CS has a lot more justification than most. I think Rean totally had a vague plan of "Finish School, dont go to jail, and do community work forever or something to make up for it", he just never got a chance to actually work that out, and he probably would have failed miserably considering he's in Erebonia and not Liberl.

Just imagine that Crow lived no issues, and everyone got a few haymaker's off on him every day for a year.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
CS4 has some bonkers stuff that happens and it's great. Can't wait for the localization.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Can I get a quick yes or no, will I see cassius in full force at any point? I just finished sky 2 today.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

poe meater posted:

Can I get a quick yes or no, will I see cassius in full force at any point? I just finished sky 2 today.

Yes

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tae posted:

Skip the opening of the game's start up.

I'm sure that's what the option I have on does, definitely have cutscenes playing but no opening.
Although I guess now I just pick "resume from last save" anyway.

I'm still floored by how important Black Records stuff is and that it's new game plus. Imagine how small the amount of people who played that is?!

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 8, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I also have no idea why it's NG+ only, but... CS3 establishes what it's about pretty well so i don't care!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:siren::nws::siren:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

They've got a real loving thing for patting people on the head. Almost as much as they have a thing for winning a fight, everyone being exhausted, then someone else coming in to finish it.
The amount of times that happens is unreal.

TOCS3 spoilers.
I'm in the Gral and I'm just about to get to the bottom. How long do I have left? It's not that I want it to be over I guess but gently caress I'm like 70 hours in and I am getting a bit tired now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The end's coming up.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

The end's coming up.

So it's not going to pull a TOCS 2 and give me another like...10 hours?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lewd.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ah great, I'm glad it actually ended.

Spoilers for TOCS3.
Can't say I'm sad to see Millium go but since nobody ever dies in this it was a bit meaningless to me. Everyone's always back somehow, it's like a comic!

I enjoyed the game a lot although I did feel like it was outstaying its welcome a bit by the end. They really need to lay off doing the same thing over and over. I don't mean walking around the school building points or even the field studies here though, I mean more beating a fight and then "oh now it's the true form" literally every time with every boss.
It's just tiresome, makes the battles feel pointless. Genuinely if there was an option to just skip battles altogether I'd probably take it.

Shame TOCS4 is so far away now.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Kondo confirmed Ys9 is coming west.

Also Falcom is developing their own engine so they can have even more characters onscreen at a time.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

MythosDragon posted:

Also Falcom is developing their own engine so they can have even more characters onscreen at a time.

Can't wait to hear someone read out 40 names and have everyone nod.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Taear posted:

Can't wait to hear someone read out 40 names and have everyone nod.

a chorus of hmhm's from sea to shining sea

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

MythosDragon posted:

Just in case anyone wanted to read the interview:

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/04/falcom-interview-with-president-toshihiro-kondo-trails-series-ys-ix-monstrum-nox-coming-west-and-more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Regarding Crow and the sadness there.... They qre high school students. A kid in my school died and no one liked him, and kids were bawling. Crow was an enemy, sure, but the class liked him to various degrees, and him and Elliot spent a month planning a concert together.