Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Also a term for the people who lived in Lud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1243638441834930186?s=19

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

Also a term for the people who lived in Lud

I just got the joke that the Luddites were killed by technology.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm listening to The Stand again because why the heck not.

Which chapter is 'No Great Loss'? I'm sure I've listened to it, but the audiobook doesn't read chapter titles. I tried Googling, but couldn't get a straight answer.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm listening to The Stand again because why the heck not.

Which chapter is 'No Great Loss'? I'm sure I've listened to it, but the audiobook doesn't read chapter titles. I tried Googling, but couldn't get a straight answer.

Google Books seems to say it's Chapter 38.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Isn't "no great loss" in the uncut version only?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yes, I believe it was cut from the original. I remember the chapter now. It was alright, not sure it deserves it's reputation though.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It helps that it's right at the end of the best part of the book, so it caps the general feeling off.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if the stand ended at no great loss it would be one of kings best novellas

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There are several glaring problems with the modernization of The Stand from 1980 to 1990, but one that is really jumping out at me on my re-read is Larry Underwood going to a telephone book and calling the hospital to get an ambulance. Like, just erase about 3 paragraphs there and write, "and the 911 line rang busy."

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yes, I believe it was cut from the original. I remember the chapter now. It was alright, not sure it deserves it's reputation though.

The bit about the little boy wandering around on his own made me cry.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
So wasn’t someone filming The Stand recently for some format? I’m just curious if production on The Stand got shut down due to coronavirus.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

These past few weeks have been the perfect time to get some drone footage of the desolate city streets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2W07ezSUcA

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

kenny powerzzz posted:

So wasn’t someone filming The Stand recently for some format? I’m just curious if production on The Stand got shut down due to coronavirus.

There's a mini series for CBS all access. It started production last year, but I don't know if they finished shooting.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Leavemywife posted:

Why are people so harsh on Buick 8? Cell, I get, because it's an incredible example of watching a book get worse through every chapter, but Buick 8 has a good cast of characters, a nice mystery, and a good, weird, atmosphere.

Really the best part of Buick 8 is a bunch of weird inexplicable creepy poo poo happens and no one ever knows why and it's never explained. The characters rationally decide "know what, gently caress that car, put it in storage and never touch it again." It's a refreshing change.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Really the best part of Buick 8 is a bunch of weird inexplicable creepy poo poo happens and no one ever knows why and it's never explained. The characters rationally decide "know what, gently caress that car, put it in storage and never touch it again." It's a refreshing change.

This is exactly right but you basically just described the whole book rather than any one part :v:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Maximum Overdrive is supposed to be this way, right? It isn't supposed to be scary but rather hilarious and weird as gently caress?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yes.

When you have time, watch "Trucks."

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Maximum Overdrive is the movie. "Trucks" is the short story.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ornamented Death posted:

Correct, but they also eventually made Trucks into a made for TV movie that’s nowhere as good as Maximum Overdrive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXP87WW5HoM

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

As with many things King, the short story is far superior to the movie. Thanks for pointing this out, even though you might not have meant to do so.

And I disagree about the tv adaptation. It was true to the story, it wasn't campy or funny.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Maximum Overdrive owns. :colbert:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ruddiger posted:

Correct, but they also eventually made Trucks into a made for TV movie that’s nowhere as good as Maximum Overdrive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXP87WW5HoM

Wow I was not aware of this. Thanks!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Owns what? Did you read Trucks?

Maximum Overdrive was a stupid comedy take on a heart-wrenching short story. Sorry, man.

Just remember the guy dying in a ditch and crying for any kind of help and go ahead, tell me I'm wrong.

I realize how pedantic I sound so I want to try to clarify, even if it means digging the hole deeper:

The original story was a lot like "The Mist." No one knew why machinery was murdering humanity, but the story took place in a tuck-stop/diner much in the way "The Mist" took place in a grocery store. Several different types of personalities got trapped there and it was a perfect King pot-boiler.

To compare the stupid goofy movie to the original work is, to my mind, simply ignorant of the source material and how truly powerful and mysterious it was.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 8, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Trucks is a story where Stephen King, noted fuckup of endings, writes an actual good ending.

He's a short story man. Even his good books are a bunch of vignettes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I know King says he doesn't remember writing Cujo because he was so hosed up, but I forget if he said he ever said the same about directing Maximum Overdrive.

"The machine just called me an rear end in a top hat" guy is still one of my favorite King acting roles.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Maximum Overdrive isn't trying to be Schindler's List. It's pulpy low budget schlock and knows it and revels in it.

I stand by my statement. :colbert:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Apparently a new book of novella stories coming out this month called "If It Bleeds"

https://www.amazon.com/If-Bleeds-Stephen-King/dp/1982137975

April
Jul 3, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Apparently a new book of novella stories coming out this month called "If It Bleeds"

https://www.amazon.com/If-Bleeds-Stephen-King/dp/1982137975

Oh goody, more Holly. Am I the only one that finds her the most annoying King character of the last decade? She's like the living embodiment of the smucking SOWISA crap in Lisey's Story.

And he's putting her in EVERYTHING.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Baron von Eevl posted:

I know King says he doesn't remember writing Cujo because he was so hosed up, but I forget if he said he ever said the same about directing Maximum Overdrive.

"The machine just called me an rear end in a top hat" guy is still one of my favorite King acting roles.

He's said the same thing about Maximum Overdrive. He also was convinced at the time that it was actually scary. In the trailer he states "If you want something done right, you do it yourself" and something about wanting to scare the hell out of you. Or check out his batshit appearances on talk shows when it was released.

His drug use and inexperience also contributed to several accidents on set. Like the lawnmower scene where he insisted on using real blades even though you wouldn't see them, so it caught a piece of wood and flung it into the DP's eye, half-blinding him and leading to a settlement worth millions.

There's also been a rumor for a long time that George Romero directed a few scenes when King was too hosed up to do so.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

April posted:

Oh goody, more Holly. Am I the only one that finds her the most annoying King character of the last decade? She's like the living embodiment of the smucking SOWISA crap in Lisey's Story.

And he's putting her in EVERYTHING.

Who is this character? I haven't read any of his newer stuff since my mom gave me Full Dark for my birthday a few years back and I tapped out after the 3rd story.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

Who is this character? I haven't read any of his newer stuff since my mom gave me Full Dark for my birthday a few years back and I tapped out after the 3rd story.

She was in the Mr. Mercedes trilogy, and The Outsider. And she's annoying as gently caress.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I like her character in the Mr Mercedes TV show. The actress does a good job in portraying an autistic/OCD person.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

https://news.avclub.com/stephen-king-is-fine-with-coronavirus-being-called-cap-1842794888

Stephen King is cool with calling this virus "Captain Trumps"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Man, that ending to Castle Rock season two. I mean, given that it's Annie Wilkes we're talking about you knew something was gonna happen, but I wasn't expecting that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Castle Rock season 2 is good, except for all the reviewers talking about how it has a so very much younger so not old such not an ancient lady version of Annie Wilkes. When Lizzy Kaplan in that is like 5 years younger than Kathy Bates was in Misery.

That's not in any way the show's fault, though, that's just people being morons.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
The Holly character was really good in the Outsider TV show. The actress was great.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I didn’t mind Holly too much in the Mr Mercedes trilogy. I expected to hate her in the first book but she grew on me a fair bit. Especially when she went ham on Brady with a sock full of ball bearings

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Holly is great in The Outsider TV show, but I've always found King problematic with the Magical Negro trope. I've reached the Abagail Freemantle portion of The Stand and she's about as magical as you can get, but what makes it worse is that I don't think there are any other Black people in this book. There was the scientist in the Stovington Plague Center, but I'm having a hard time recalling anyone else. Maybe someone else pops up in Boulder, but I have no recollection of that from my previous read-throughs.

Anyone remember any other Black characters or did Captain Trips kill all but one African-American?

Actually, now I remember a lot of Black characters from the TV execution scene and that's not making me feel any better about this book.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
There's the Rat Man. An evil racist who sexually harasses women and is some kind of mad post apocalyptic pirate?