Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
yea turning the sound to lowest quality remarkably improved the games performance for me, for some reason

mostly I've been frustrated because the game ran smoothly the first few days and now battles between 40 combined people on both sides are choppy so I don't really understand what happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

litany of gulps posted:

Have you tried adjusting the audio sound channels option? A lot of people have reported that the sound channels setting has a greater effect than anything else on performance.

Oh wow, really? I'll have to try that

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Oh wow, really? I'll have to try that

I have an older computer with a good amount of RAM - I can do large scale battles with minimal performance issues. Sieges are worse than field battles, but I've got almost everything on high with no issues. I have the low sound channels setting, I killed shadows to low, and almost everything else is high. I cut sun shafts, film grain, and motion blur. I've actually been really impressed with performance on this game. It runs better in many ways than Warband did.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yeah sieges chug from the AI pathing, near as I can tell.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
The sound thing seems to have worked, strangely enough. Thanks!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Flavius Aetass posted:

The sound thing seems to have worked, strangely enough. Thanks!

Earlier pages said this advice should be at the top of every page, maybe they were right!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
sound uses up a non-zero amount of cpu after all and there's a lot of soul that needs to be processed in bannerlord

every unit on the field is making like three separate sound files happen

granted it's probably poorly optimized, but still

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Dorkopotamis posted:

To anyone thinking about doing a blacksmith run (like I just did): don't. It is a waste of time, a chore and you wont get to the end of it in this lifetime.

save up your hardwood and break down looted weapons to sell the bars from them though

so much more cash

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, so after all this effort in raising relations near in the Battanian home lands, I joined up, got to tier 3, got a bad rear end party going, got 2 other parties going, and I started taking castles on my own with my clan only. Now I got given a castle and settlement up in Sturgian territory. I want to go independent but I'm worried that Battania will declare war and I won't be able to recruit there. What's the best troops and strat for Sturgian armies?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Jamwad Hilder posted:

yea turning the sound to lowest quality remarkably improved the games performance for me, for some reason

mostly I've been frustrated because the game ran smoothly the first few days and now battles between 40 combined people on both sides are choppy so I don't really understand what happened

Try rebooting, my game chugged when I first installed it but ran fine after a reboot

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Internet Explorer posted:

Alright, so after all this effort in raising relations near in the Battanian home lands, I joined up, got to tier 3, got a bad rear end party going, got 2 other parties going, and I started taking castles on my own with my clan only. Now I got given a castle and settlement up in Sturgian territory. I want to go independent but I'm worried that Battania will declare war and I won't be able to recruit there. What's the best troops and strat for Sturgian armies?

No idea but being at war does NOT stop you from recruiting at villages. The small folk don't care what games the high lords play.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
black smithing exists to get you tons of money, not to make any items. Just buy out the hardwood hamlets every time you go buy one and sell metal bars any time they're red

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Can the horses you and your companions ride die? I have noticed a couple times that equipped companion horses disappear. If so, this is extremely stupid.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Midgetskydiver posted:

Can the horses you and your companions ride die? I have noticed a couple times that equipped companion horses disappear. If so, this is extremely stupid.

I don't think they can die in battle, but I think if you upgrade infantry troops to mounted troops they take the most expensive available horse or war horse, even if a companion is riding it.

(I havent had this happen to me because I always choose a different upgrade path, its possible its been fixed or the horse was disappearing for some other reason)

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 8, 2020

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Flavahbeast posted:

I don't think they can die in battle, but I think if you upgrade infantry troops to mounted troops they take the most expensive available horse or war horse, even if a companion is riding it.

What the gently caress. Why would it need to consume a horse? They actually made this design choice LOL

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 8, 2020

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Can you visit cities you're at war with to complete mainline quests?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

black smithing exists to get you tons of money, not to make any items. Just buy out the hardwood hamlets every time you go buy one and sell metal bars any time they're red

what does this mean

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

terrorist ambulance posted:

what does this mean

It means "buy hardwood, melt items for metal, sell metal for way more than the items were worth."

Which is true.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I can confirm that when you upgrade a nomad to a horseman, it takes the most expensive horse in your inventory with the appropriate riding skill. Looks like the nomads require a riding 60 horse and if you don't have it, it takes a level 60 horse from your companions or yourself.

It absolutely blows my mind that the devs of this game made the conscious choice to code the system this way. No wonder it took them 10 years to make- they were apparently quibbling over how to best ensure that the player doesn't game the system by giving a nomad a sumpter horse in order to make him into a horse troop. Incredible.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Midgetskydiver posted:

I can confirm that when you upgrade a nomad to a horseman, it takes the most expensive horse in your inventory with the appropriate riding skill. Looks like the nomads require a riding 60 horse and if you don't have it, it takes a level 60 horse from your companions or yourself.

It absolutely blows my mind that the devs of this game made the conscious choice to code the system this way. No wonder it took them 10 years to make- they were apparently quibbling over how to best ensure that the player doesn't game the system by giving a nomad a sumpter horse in order to make him into a horse troop. Incredible.

This is not the case for Khuzait troops upgrading with war horses at least, both me and my companions have been happily riding on the same war horses the entire game while I've been upgrading to horse archers/lancers until the upgrade button is red. That said, the game happily eats a valuable riding 90 war horse from your inventory if you upgrade.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I’ve upgraded ~400 not-Khergit to horse and warhorse expecting units this most recent game and its never pulled it out from my or my 6 companions equipped slot. Not a single time. I’d definitely like to see proof of that happening.

But yeah you need warhorses to unpgrade the later units, but a ton of the steppe hideouts will give you some and 5-6 of the villages produce steppe horses and warhorses.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 8, 2020

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Midgetskydiver posted:

What the gently caress. Why would it need to consume a horse? They actually made this design choice LOL

I can understand the design choice to make upgrading infantry to cavalry require a horse since cavalry units in this game are really powerful, and having a bit of a barrier to entry for them makes sense.

But making it so it can take an equipped horse is stupid and almost certainly an oversight.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
just get one good horse for yourself then stop giving a gently caress outside managing inventory and the herd debuff

easy

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Dunno if the the latest patch did something to arrow damage, but I've gone down from doing 60-80 per shot to 20-40 :(

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I just ran into something I thought was odd. I've been running around the world trying to complete the meet the ten nobles quest, and I have never attacked anything except looters or bandits. I just came across a Aserai caravan that was 'red' to me and ran from my party. I chased it down and the guy was like "Hi, wanna trade? Hear some trade rumors?" What's up with that, why would a random caravan show up as hostile?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BULBASAUR posted:

Dunno if the the latest patch did something to arrow damage, but I've gone down from doing 60-80 per shot to 20-40 :(

Did the stats on the bow you're using change?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

It means "buy hardwood, melt items for metal, sell metal for way more than the items were worth."

Which is true.

another cool thing with smithing: click your dude's portrait in the bottom right to swap out to a companion, who also have their own separate smithing staminas.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
I gained 16 points in charm instantly by giving a noble some grain

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

My party is a mess of hodgepodge units I've gathered from other armies I've beaten down. It's working so far but it's a mess in the party management window.

Also I joined a kingdom to discover they were at war with and losing horribly to literally every other kingdom. So that's fun.

I see I can form my own kingdom when I hit clan level 3, should I be doing that instead of bothering with trying to be a good vassal to another kingdom? I'm so lost in this drat game but I kind of love it, and only had a vague idea what I was getting into from stories of other M&B games.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm an idiot. Thanks man, this was it.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

The Locator posted:

I just ran into something I thought was odd. I've been running around the world trying to complete the meet the ten nobles quest, and I have never attacked anything except looters or bandits. I just came across a Aserai caravan that was 'red' to me and ran from my party. I chased it down and the guy was like "Hi, wanna trade? Hear some trade rumors?" What's up with that, why would a random caravan show up as hostile?

Caravans are red because the lord that owns them belongs to a faction that is at war with yours. Caravans never engage you on purpose, they are just traders.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Catpain Slack posted:

Caravans are red because the lord that owns them belongs to a faction that is at war with yours. Caravans never engage you on purpose, they are just traders.

Except that I'm not in a faction and not at war! I'm still doing the quest things instead of becoming a kingdom maker/destroyer.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hoo boy am I glad that contract is over.

Western Empire was not doing well in this war. They lost Legata almost immediately at game start and now at day ~100 they're barely holding onto Ortisya and Jalmarys (which has changed hands several times) and have lost a number of castles on the Battanian front. The army I joined after signing on had a few good early successes taking back some castles and Jalmarys but got worn down and eventually crushed and I got captured for a few days. They took a bunch of the gear I had been stockpiling and all my horses too :argh: Thankfully another friendly army eventually showed up to inadvertantly rescue me and I got to be a Mercenary Company of 1 for a little while before I started scraping up some new units.

However right as my contract ran out the North Empire declared war on the Battanians, apparently right after getting peace with the Kuhzait who completely crushed them in the east. Sturgia also declared war on Battania only a day or two later after they got peace with Vlandia, who took a couple cities from them.

Right now I'm trimming my unit down, firing some of the expensive veteran units so I don't have to pay them. Need to decide on my next gig. Maybe I'll go sign on with the North Empire or Sturgia. Then again, I'm getting a bit tired of fighting Battanians* and their bloody Darshi mercenaries. Southern Empire is fighting the Khergits, but uhhh I dunno if I wanna fight Khergits, lol.

I'm having fun though! I really suggest anyone who wants to play a proper mercenary to go grab the Limited Mercenary Contract Mod

* Their Noble Archers are loving terrifying to be up against.

(Warband style casualty feed mod, I found the kill feed in the upper right way too distracting)

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Galaga Galaxian posted:

(Warband style casualty feed mod, I found the kill feed in the upper right way too distracting)

Thank you! I was going to ask how you got the old casualty listings back. I find the new ones strangely difficult to parse.

Loving the game so far, knowing there's a lot more to come. There's so much modding potential with all the campaign systems in play and I can't wait to see what the wider community comes up with.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So my background is Vlandia, and it looks like Vlandia went to war with Aserai, so I appear to be at war with Aserai now even though I belong to no faction? Is that how it works, in absence of any faction my background choice at game start determines enemies based on wars vs. Vlandia?

Are the three 'empire' factions the only actual empire factions for purposes of empire vs. non-empire on the main questline? I was going to go with my homeland of Vlandia, but when I talked to a noble he said that he was a loyal subject of the empire... which seemed strange to me since he's a Vlandia noble.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Looks like the latest patch killed skill gain in charm via trading coins with people. I was getting 1-3 points every time, then after the patch I get nothing and I tried about 10 times. I even tried giving gifts, nada.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
:siren: Forming your own kingdoms puts the game on Dark Souls difficulty. Only attempt this if you already have a base of holdings and have good relations with many lords in order to attempt to recruit them. Otherwise stick to vassalizing to accrue a bigger base of supporters. :siren:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Re: cavalry upgrades eating your delicious skill 90 war horses, according to person who made the Frugal Cavalry mod the default behavior just takes the first (i.e. top) horse in your inventory list that meets the requirements. They may be wrong of course, but it seems like they would know.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Locator posted:

So my background is Vlandia, and it looks like Vlandia went to war with Aserai, so I appear to be at war with Aserai now even though I belong to no faction? Is that how it works, in absence of any faction my background choice at game start determines enemies based on wars vs. Vlandia?

Are the three 'empire' factions the only actual empire factions for purposes of empire vs. non-empire on the main questline? I was going to go with my homeland of Vlandia, but when I talked to a noble he said that he was a loyal subject of the empire... which seemed strange to me since he's a Vlandia noble.

Lords can change allegiances depending on how they feel about their faction leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
On the map, do cavalry move as fast as infantry with a mount available in the inventory?