Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

I have it on good authority that Nero was an anime woman with big tits.

hell, same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

twoday posted:

lots of other cool poo poo in that thread, someone bring it back to life by posting in it

antonine plague. go!

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Real hurthling! posted:

antonine plague. go!

i'm working on a thing about the great plague of london already but I will post it here when I'm done, maybe I can throw that in there too

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

antonine plague. go!

the roni but more so

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

twoday posted:

the great plague of london

that’s still going, the English still live there

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ok i cant wait.

so the antonine plague was ignored by gibbon as a cause of the dissolution of the west but modern scholarship is pretty well decided that coping with the aftermath set rome up for trouble in the next 2 centuries
the deaths in the military forced the recruitment of peasants and local officials into the army that crippled food production and local services and resources.
the plagues' impacts elsewhere help precipitate the barbarian invasions of the ensuing period.

essentially romes food economy and local defense and infrastructure were sacrificed to maintain the army - the guarantor of roman imperial control over the valuable east, facilitator of global trade goods into the west, and lifeline for the city's foreign food supply.

what this means is that rome doubled down on the very institutions that brought more and more pandemics upon them while making life in provincial villages unsustainable due to food insecurity, high prices, and barbarian incursion going forward.

the pressures of the antonine plague may have helped make this impoverished and troubled west later seem unattractive and unruly enough to diocletian that he split the empire and just kept the economically viable part for himself and all the fallout for the west that developed from that in ensuing centuries

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Is this the Bernie thread now

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Flavius Aetass posted:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah good point, i probably minimized their perspective a bit too much, though it certainly seems his popularity waned over his reign. early on he was massively popular, but by the end he is dying alone, and there was no mass rage over his death like Caesar's.

People outside Italy definitely were far more loyal, though that's also because they never really had to deal with him doing poo poo like going ahead with building his palace in lands vacated by the great fire, or seeing christians mauled to death over and over in the arena.

Then again a ton of that is through the lens of Flavian propaganda, so discerning the truth is a minefield.

worth remembering all the people who killed Nero were executed as traitors

edit: no wait actually I'm thinking of Caligula? I can't keep Roman usurpations straight

Squalid has issued a correction as of 05:16 on Apr 10, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Flavius Aetass posted:

drat

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Flavius Aetass posted:

too soon

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

slather on the ius asini

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Squalid posted:

worth remembering all the people who killed Nero were executed as traitors

edit: no wait actually I'm thinking of Caligula? I can't keep Roman usurpations straight

Nero killed himself and Caligula was killed by praetorian guard which was pretty much untouchable.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIyTTulb7GI

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Nero killed himself and Caligula was killed by praetorian guard which was pretty much untouchable.

the praetorian weren't THAT untouchable. What I was specifically thinking of was how Claudius, as a precondition before he accepted the position of Emperor, demanded the right to punish the conspirators who had killed Caligula. The Senate agreed, and Cassius Chaerea, the Praetorian who had stabbed Caligula to death, was executed. Most of the conspirators probably got away in the end but it was a pretty clear statement. The Praetorians were pretty good at killing emperors, but not so good at anointing new ones and getting away with their lives. The Roman frontier armies always had the final say in who got to wear the purple.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yo why noboiidy talking about china give us some sotrys about the mandate of heaven being lost

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Flavius Aetass posted:

lmao

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
has beer always been widely consumed? in historical dramas set in the early modern era, or basically any time prior to the 60s people are always drinking liquor, so when did beer become the standard drink of choice? also what about specifically in america?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

really since before history began. the egyptians who built the great pyramid of giza are recorded as receiving beer rations, and there's at least one illustration of people being carried home drunk. beer appears basically simultaneously with agriculture and immediately becomes a cultural staple.
in the americas i think they made beer from maize but for whatever reason its use wasn't as widespread as in the old world.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

cargo cult posted:

has beer always been widely consumed? in historical dramas set in the early modern era, or basically any time prior to the 60s people are always drinking liquor, so when did beer become the standard drink of choice? also what about specifically in america?

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/surveillance102/tab1_13.htm

According to the NIAAA Americans vastly consumed hard liquor at a much higher volume than beer until about the end of the 19th century.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
beer rules

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Prior to complete prohibition being passed (& then repealed), a lot of states and counties passed their own prohibition laws. To the point that well over half of Americans were already living 'under prohibition' by 1918. And many of those laws only outlawed distilled liquor, not beer & wine. So between the start of the temperance movement and the 1920s there was a gradual move away from liquor and towards beer in America.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

yeah isnt the oldest recorded writing a recipe for beer?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

this owns so goddamn much. I heard about the heat ray but not the claw. both are so ridiculous that if they showed up in a movie about the Second Punic War it would likely come off as fantastical or fictional

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TheHoosier posted:

this owns so goddamn much. I heard about the heat ray but not the claw. both are so ridiculous that if they showed up in a movie about the Second Punic War it would likely come off as fantastical or fictional

it's like the unit in rome total war that's made up of guys flinging heads soaked in lye

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

beer in mesopotamia was unfiltered so people drank it with metal straws that were designed like a test tube with a bunch of holes poked in the bottom to prevent sucking up a big nasty solid something.

syracuse was a powerful city in part due to its two natural harbors. the claw was like a ship crane that allowed them to move boats quickly, important in an era without water proofing when ships needed to be hauled out of the water routinely to dry out or they would lose bouyancy

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Ghostlight posted:

really since before history began. the egyptians who built the great pyramid of giza are recorded as receiving beer rations, and there's at least one illustration of people being carried home drunk. beer appears basically simultaneously with agriculture and immediately becomes a cultural staple.
in the americas i think they made beer from maize but for whatever reason its use wasn't as widespread as in the old world.

Why would you mention an ancient illustration of a drunken egyptian being carried home but not link to it? Where are your manners? :colbert:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Beer and other alcohol is basically as old as if not older than agriculture. Alcohol was essential before refrigeration and modern decontamination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fN5109BfLs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

greeks and romans used wine to make water more drinkable and looked down on people that drank wine unmixed/pure (vinum merum in latin)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

According to egyptian religion you had to get really shitfaced at least once a year so that the destructive goddess Sekhmet would turn back into Hathor. The egyptians essentially drank beer because they thought it would save the world from being destroyed.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Alhazred posted:

According to egyptian religion you had to get really shitfaced at least once a year so that the destructive goddess Sekhmet would turn back into Hathor. The egyptians essentially drank beer because they thought it would save the world from being destroyed.

That sounds like the Aztec religion but 1000% more chill

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Alhazred posted:

There is no way this religion was real otherwize it would have supplanted every other religion in tbe world. Cmon,who is not going to convert to this? Hell i dont even drink and I want to sign up!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Dalael posted:

There is no way this religion was real otherwize it would have supplanted every other religion in tbe world. Cmon,who is not going to convert to this? Hell i dont even drink and I want to sign up!

I mean the catholics give out free wine with every mass so it lives on in small ways

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Has anyone started listening to this podcast? I'm about to get up-to-date on the Russian Revolution part of Revolutions and am considering this next cuz I find this period to be real interesting https://hellenisticagepodcast.wordpress.com/episode-notes/

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dalael posted:

Why would you mention an ancient illustration of a drunken egyptian being carried home but not link to it? Where are your manners? :colbert:
i took some lovely photos of the woodcut that i was unhappy with but i should've just googled it because of course someone had already done a much better job

bonus material from the same page (The Ancient Egyptians Their Life and Customs, Sir J Gardner Wilkinson)

Dalael posted:

it's just one ritual within the whole religion, but for additional detail sekhmet was tricked into drinking the beer by dying it red so that she would think it was blood. if it had survived to modern day we'd probably have a second st patrick's day but red.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
President sharting from a drinking p

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

eating fettuccini off the floor with my girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Beer and other alcohol is basically as old as if not older than agriculture. Alcohol was essential before refrigeration and modern decontamination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fN5109BfLs

You can pretty much tell Ancient people either drank beer, milk, or 'tea' (boiled water with plant flavor).

Like east asians have a higher rate of alcohol and lactose intolerance because boiled water w/ plant flavor was their potable water source for 10,000 years ( I say based on no research and just arrogantly thinking I must have figured it out)