Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
No you see that's a legally distinct character who pities chumps, not fools.

The most remarkable thing about Axe is not only does Claremont bring him back, but decades later Frank Tieri brings him back as a member of a prison gang called The Brothers, protecting a dude named Mo Money, and then brings The Brothers back again five years later and has Crossbones murder them all.

Axe is not to be confused with Battleaxe, another large black mutant with an axe who sometimes goes by the nickname "Axe" and appears briefly later on in Claremont's runs on Wolverine and Uncanny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edge & Christian posted:

No you see that's a legally distinct character who pities chumps, not fools.

The most remarkable thing about Axe is not only does Claremont bring him back, but decades later Frank Tieri brings him back as a member of a prison gang called The Brothers, protecting a dude named Mo Money, and then brings The Brothers back again five years later and has Crossbones murder them all.

Axe is not to be confused with Battleaxe, another large black mutant with an axe who sometimes goes by the nickname "Axe" and appears briefly later on in Claremont's runs on Wolverine and Uncanny.

Is there a 70's Blaxploitation flick where the villain has an axe or something? that's a weird well to go to multiple times.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He never even uses the axe. I feel like it was their big addition to prevent a lawsuit after getting a call from corporate.

I can believe that Mr. T was very litigious in the era when he had a cartoon and a breakfast cereal.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

He never even uses the axe. I feel like it was their big addition to prevent a lawsuit after getting a call from corporate.

I can believe that Mr. T was very litigious in the era when he had a cartoon and a breakfast cereal.

To be fair, Mr. T didn't use an axe either...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I just read the old X-Men vs The Brood two parter and while I think Ostrander's writing is mostly fine, how on earth did he gently caress up Cannonball this badly?

"Hard to hurt me when ah'm at full throttle"? what the hell?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Sometimes you need to just add a little mustard to the same old routine.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Even I know the line by heart after seven issues of New Mutants. Does he have Wolverine talk about how proficient he is at the things he attempts, though those things are also admittedly unpleasant?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Psylocke's psy-pointy-things are the physical embodiment of her extraordinary mind.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Professor Xavier is an unpleasant person and I am vexed by him.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Magneto made some accurate observations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I would like Dracula to trust himself in knowing the course of action to take.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cyclops has trouble restraining his ocular explosions without his safety goggles.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Anthony Stark makes you experience emotional reactions. He's a level-headed executive with a cardiac implant.

Iron Man, on the other hand, is aerially mobile and often displaces large amounts of rubble etc. with his in-built energy weaponry.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
"I am having a difficult time suppressing my innate supernatural ability," Jean Grey, currently host to the cosmic incarnation of life and death, exclaims.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
"I believe it has reached the appointed hour in which I shall soundly thrash you!" Exclaims Ben Grimm.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
"I propose that we band together to drive this feces deep into the earth"

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Avengers, CONGREGATE!

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

"Come here, child soldiers"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
"Fuckin'...fuckin' Reed. It's like, gently caress that guy, y'know?" - Victor Von Doom

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Best wishes from your locally sourced arachnid crimefighter."

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I see some poo poo, but gently caress'em.

-Uatu the Watcher

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

"Hey Norinn, you headed to the fridge? Grab me something, will you? I'm could do with a nosh."

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
With great amounts of strength must come great culpability.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wood shavings used for packing furniture, true believers!

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
"Candied commemoration of Christ's birth!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Able to render my metacarpus the tensile strength of the twenty-sixth element on the periodic table.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
"Oh, distant celestial helium fire structures and fabric belts used primarily to keep stockings up, both that I have taken metaphorical possession of!"

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

LifeGetsWorser posted:

"Oh, distant celestial helium fire structures and fabric belts used primarily to keep stockings up, both that I have taken metaphorical possession of!"

gently caress.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

LifeGetsWorser posted:

:perfect:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Reporting this for perfection.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I can see Beast saying that.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Read the first volume of Hickman's X-Men last night. REALLY dug it. Wouldn't think I would enjoy Kid Cable as much as I do, but here I am.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Making sure I'm not missing anything, they haven't picked up releases yet have they?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kingtheninja posted:

Making sure I'm not missing anything, they haven't picked up releases yet have they?

Comics are canceled. All of them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thank god

comics are so bad

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

danbanana posted:

I just started back on floppies BECAUSE of Hickman's X-Stuff, after pretty much 15+ years of trades (and 5ish years of digital). I've honestly felt closer to books because of the move back to floppies and when I get the chance to be in a good shop (the one closest to me is literal trash), I usually find myself buying some random thing to support them.

That said... the Direct Market is probably the worst business system one can conceive of, and only kind of worked due to the back issue market. That market is mostly dead- when I think about "good shops," usually those aren't the ones with a couple hundred long boxes strewn about- and the system itself is probably long due to collapse. It sucks because it is going to hurt a lot of small businesses, but horse farmers and stage coach builders had to go at some point, too.

It was the same for me. I went once because I didn't remember to buy one of the issues before work and decided I wanted to read it during lunch. I found that going to a comic store that doesn't stink once a week to talk to a friendly associate who makes recs to me that I actually enjoy was a good experience.

But going to a comic store like the stores I went to as a kid, or like I went to when I first moved to Arizona . . . no.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Maybe this isn’t the exact place to ask but where should I start with the Old Man Logan world

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

Maybe this isn’t the exact place to ask but where should I start with the Old Man Logan world

The Mark Millar stuff, which started in issue #66 of one of the Wolverine series, Then the Secret Wars mini, which will have Warzones somewhere in the title probably, then the regular Old Man Logan series. He was in one of the iterations of Uncanny X-Men and then a Weapon X series too, if you're on Unlimited it'd be the oldest post 2015 series. And then Dead Man Logan.

Alternate answer is "just don't."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Skwirl posted:

answer is "just don't."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Alternate answer is "just don't."

I didn't read much of the post-Millar stuff, but the character as a replacement for Less-Old Man Logan seemed to have some potential. Despite the extremely gross/bad origins of the character, he's basically DOFP Wolvie with a more soap opera-ish back story. That seems ripe for the right writer. Did that not play out?

(I also understand that he was getting his solo series at the same time Laura was and that there is a heavy preference for the latter so maybe that makes OML look worse. Note that All-New is on my very long back list of stuff to catch up on.)

Rick posted:

But going to a comic store like the stores I went to as a kid, or like I went to when I first moved to Arizona . . . no.

It sucks what's happening to shops now- gently caress, Diamond might be dead!- but so many of them were really lovely businesses propped up by a monopolistic system.