Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

less than three posted:

A user sent in a ticket that the pencil icon in Jabber when someone is typing "can be construed as offensive or funny, please look into this if to see if this just a joke or is it something that may lead to more serious IT security issue" :psyduck:

W...what. The gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

https://quickview.cloudapps.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCvr16971

Yeah, I dunno.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

what does the is-typing icon look like?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

taqueso posted:

what does the is-typing icon look like?

Probably a pencil for normal people.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ahh well, that is certainly not the least dick-like icon I've seen

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

AlexDeGruven posted:

Probably a pencil for normal people.

turns out you were wrong

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

taqueso posted:

ahh well, that is certainly not the least dick-like icon I've seen
Welp, now I'm curious.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

D. Ebdrup posted:

Welp, now I'm curious.

(less than three just posted it)

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I thought it was just a stupid ticket, I'm on a different version of Jabber and it's the proper pencil icon.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I took that to mean now they're curious what WAS the least dick-like icon taqueso had ever seen.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Messages are cached in the balls.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

Messages are cached in the balls.

I appreciate this

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I thought that was a ridiculous ticket until I saw the icon.

That could definitely be misconstrued as a penis, especially if it's animated to waggle a bit.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

flatluigi posted:

(less than three just posted it)
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough - I meant that I'm curious about how an icon can be more dick-like without just being a dick.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

I'm sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough - I meant that I'm curious about how an icon can be more dick-like without just being a dick.

🍆

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Well, I've just learnt something about both of you and I wish I didn't

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

🍄

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I love where this has gone.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
At work, everyone talks about their pooping habits and what bidets they've installed.

On the forums, we're evaluating dickpencils.

Universe working as intended.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Shut up Meg posted:

Blame twitter for that one. It's in the zeitgeist.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

less than three posted:

Oh how a simple wrong vlan command can bring down a datacenter and kill everyone's VPN. :allears:

It wasn't me, but there should be a buddy system for core network changes. I've been doing it all my life but I still get anxious after pressing Enter.

The list of timeout messages from pings to the device as you wait for the config to apply or the device to reboot are a little list of ever increasing stages of panic.

That first ping that returns is literally a dump of digital euphoria straight into my veins.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shut up Meg posted:

Heck, I've just learnt something about myself and I wish I hadn't.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Thread title so good:

IT sent an e-mail posted:

IT Update: Zoom Meetings & Webinars to Require Passwords for Added Security
Thursday, April 9th

All newly created meetings/webinars will automatically have passwords created, encrypted and embedded into the links and invites. At this time no action is required for participants joining meetings created prior to April 9th. Audio only (dial-in) users will need to enter a password before joining any newly created meetings.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just one user needs to leak a link and all hell breaks loose.

Not that I am advising such a thing...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

I feel like this would be the funniest version of goontu.be

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Arquinsiel posted:

Have there been any reply-all-pocalypses since poo poo melted down? I feel like we’re ripe for another Portland Center or Excellence moment or whatever happens at other peoples’ respective companies.

Incidentally, :yayclod: announced that we’re pushing to hire laid off friends and family, so if you’re looking for a job, hit me up. I consider goons to be fam, so I’ll help fast track you thru recruiting where I can. Everything is work from home at the moment, so this is a big opportunity for anyone who isn’t in a “hub city” to get hired.

My (currently locked down) office is no longer in a “hub city” :v: but at least that doesn’t matter anymore.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Have there been any reply-all-pocalypses since poo poo melted down? I feel like we’re ripe for another Portland Center or Excellence moment or whatever happens at other peoples’ respective companies.

Incidentally, :yayclod: announced that we’re pushing to hire laid off friends and family, so if you’re looking for a job, hit me up. I consider goons to be fam, so I’ll help fast track you thru recruiting where I can. Everything is work from home at the moment, so this is a big opportunity for anyone who isn’t in a “hub city” to get hired.

My (currently locked down) office is no longer in a “hub city” :v: but at least that doesn’t matter anymore.

What exactly are you looking for? I'm a systems eng at an MSP currently, billable hours are down so I'm going to lose out on bonus for the next couple months likely (not that I rely on it) but I also really dislike MSP stuff. I have mostly systems experience (server 2012 thru 2019) and some network (mostly fortinet gear, some cisco/sonicwall but I'm nowhere near great at networking). Have an MCSE 2016, NSE4 (fortinet cert) and a sonicwall garbage cert; I've done some work in Azure but nothing in AWS/GCloud.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

MF_James posted:

What exactly are you looking for? I'm a systems eng at an MSP currently, billable hours are down so I'm going to lose out on bonus for the next couple months likely (not that I rely on it) but I also really dislike MSP stuff. I have mostly systems experience (server 2012 thru 2019) and some network (mostly fortinet gear, some cisco/sonicwall but I'm nowhere near great at networking). Have an MCSE 2016, NSE4 (fortinet cert) and a sonicwall garbage cert; I've done some work in Azure but nothing in AWS/GCloud.

If you have PMs, PM me and let’s figure out how to chat. We’re definitely looking for Windows engineers for my team specifically, but I’m not super in the loop with other teams’ resources at the moment. We just reorg’d, too, so I’m still getting familiar with the new org tree...that said, we’ve got a lot of openings in a lot of areas.

Same offer to anyone else. If you don’t have the access on SA, I’ll set up a burner email. Just let me know if that’s a thing.

I can’t guarantee anything, but I’m actively trying to be helpful cuz poo poo is busted all over...

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Jesus Smoke Detecting Christ we need to send people home with a 9 volt battery because it seems like 1/3 of these WFH users have a low battery chirp from their smoke\CO2 alarms.

It's amazing how well that pierces the ear over the phone.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Presumably they have all lost that portion of their hearing range or something?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Arquinsiel posted:

Presumably they have all lost that portion of their hearing range or something?

They so far also all have kids making noise in the background as well, so I'm assuming it's a total lack of fucks about a chirp while dealing with work and their kids stuck home from school. I thought it was them or a bird perhaps but it was way too regular.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It's incredibly common for people to ignore the smoke alarm chirp. These people literally train themselves not to hear it rather than replace the battery.

There was some radio show in the 90s or early 00s where the host used to go off on these crazy rants when he'd hear it when a listener would call in. I vaguely think it was some romance-related thing. Loveline maybe? Whatever. I'd be driving around and flipping through stations when his show was on. And I always stopped to listen to him berate these people.

"Hi there, I'd like to talk about my boyfriend, he alwaysBEEP"
"What was that, was that a smoke alarm?"
"Yeah, it's been-"
"You want to die? You want to choke on smoke, hot smoke, until your lungs are seared like a steak?"
"No, I just..."
"No. There is no 'just.' Who else lives in that house? Imagine that person, lungs on fire, gasping for air as the flames rise and the air becomes too hot to breathe."
"But.."
"No buts. I'm gonna hang up now. Go buy a battery."
*click*

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It was definitely Loveline. Adam Corolla would get so angry whenever he'd hear a smoke alarm that it didn't matter what the call was about, he'd make them go fix it.

Found the rant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6eppoohD_g

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

PirateDentist posted:

They so far also all have kids making noise in the background as well, so I'm assuming it's a total lack of fucks about a chirp while dealing with work and their kids stuck home from school. I thought it was them or a bird perhaps but it was way too regular.

I'm job interviewing via video from home these days and we've tried a lot of things to dull the roar in the background, but we've pretty much resigned ourselves to putting all the kids in their carseats and having my wife drive around the block.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GreenNight posted:

It was definitely Loveline. Adam Corolla would get so angry whenever he'd hear a smoke alarm that it didn't matter what the call was about, he'd make them go fix it.

Found the rant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6eppoohD_g

Yes! That's it!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's pretty amazing what people can get used to. The McDonald's near me has circular light fixtures in cans in the ceiling and every time I look in the windows they are blinking on and off at about 3 Hz. They cover the entire restaurant seating space and it just flickers nonstop at all times.

It has been like that for YEARS

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm job interviewing via video from home these days and we've tried a lot of things to dull the roar in the background, but we've pretty much resigned ourselves to putting all the kids in their carseats and having my wife drive around the block.

kalhua and ice cream my friend. Just get the kids drunk enough to pass out :v:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Don't some smoke detectors chirp during normal operation? Could have sworn some that are (generally) in like common hallways do that, maybe I'm just used to those chirping and have fooled myself into thinking it's normal.

Also,

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

If you have PMs, PM me and let’s figure out how to chat. We’re definitely looking for Windows engineers for my team specifically, but I’m not super in the loop with other teams’ resources at the moment. We just reorg’d, too, so I’m still getting familiar with the new org tree...that said, we’ve got a lot of openings in a lot of areas.

Same offer to anyone else. If you don’t have the access on SA, I’ll set up a burner email. Just let me know if that’s a thing.

I can’t guarantee anything, but I’m actively trying to be helpful cuz poo poo is busted all over...

PM'd you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Aren't most smoke detectors sold nowadays the lithium battery type where they last 10 years? Just get one of those, never worry about a poo poo 9v battery ever again.