Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Algol Star posted:

I don't understand this at all, even if you arbitrarily classify CPR as safe at some point they're going to need to be intubated or have some breaths given if you're intending to keep them alive. Are they suggesting you start CPR without PPE and as soon as anaesthetics arrive pause for a minute to get changed? It doesn't even save any PPE, you're all going to need to wear full kit anyway at some point unless you just let them die.

Edit: this whole thing has never made sense anyway. Originally they said to just focus on chest compressions and ignore the breathing but since you're getting very little haemodynamic instability with covid the primary method of arrest is going to be hypoxia and if you're not going to give breaths (requires full PPE, technically NIV) then what is even the point of resuscitating them?

Has there been any data on the success rate of CPR for COVID patients compared to all-causes?

Edit: 1997 is the year after Tony Blair was elected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

Is there a summary of this 17 minute video berating what I believe to be my only air conditioning option? The entire west-facing wall of our flat is a giant window that spend all afternoon being heated by the sun, and the only openable window is about a foot wide. We're really fighting a losing battle trying to keep the inside of the place a livable temperature but if there's a better solution I'm all ears.
Air conditioners have a hot bit, a cold bit, and a noisy bit.

Split system or window units keep the hot and noisy bits outside, portable units have them all inside.

Also single hose portable units use the indoor air, which they just cooled, to cool the hot bits and vent that outside, which lowers the pressure in your room, which causes hot outside air to come in, so they work against themselves.

As he notes, if it is literally your only option, consider getting a dual hose one, where at least it's using outside air to cool the hot bits rather than the cool air that you want to keep in your home.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

An attic room with foil on the windows is going to solve your ventilation problems pretty quickly when the drugs squad kick your door in.

TACD is a different poster :colbert:

(but yeah that did confuse me too, my first thought was "why does an attic have a west wall which is all window")

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

In your situation a portable AC unit would really struggle, i think. Even mine can struggle and we have a small window that faces west.

If i were you i would literally just cover the window in foil to reflect the light out
I think we honestly might do that this year; it was very uncomfortable last year when we were only in the flat after work, and it seems likely we'll still be working from home this summer.

jabby posted:

Which is true, but considering in the UK we have no pressing need for permanent installs and our windows don't typically suit mounting something on them, portable is all we got. They work, they're just inefficient and often noisy. But if you're only using it for a few days a year, just get one.
lol 'a few days per year' == probably every day from May until September. We have a unit with an exhaust host already but it's extremely old and cranky. From skimming that video it seems like our best option would be to get a dual-hose unit but loving hell, ~£600+ is a lot to spend on a big noisy box to make cold

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Block as much sunlight as you can from getting in the windows and get a decent powered fan/s blowing as efficiently out as you can, and importantly get them going before the room gets hot, but best bet is a dedicated extractor system

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Air conditioners have a hot bit, a cold bit, and a noisy bit.

Split system or window units keep the hot and noisy bits outside, portable units have them all inside.

Also single hose portable units use the indoor air, which they just cooled, to cool the hot bits and vent that outside, which lowers the pressure in your room, which causes hot outside air to come in, so they work against themselves.

As he notes, if it is literally your only option, consider getting a dual hose one, where at least it's using outside air to cool the hot bits rather than the cool air that you want to keep in your home.
Thanks for this :) That third point seems to be the interesting one (for my situation) that I can potentially act on.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Communist Thoughts posted:

sometimes i dont really get the lying.. i suppose i do... its just reflexively british to lie to your underlings and the public.
but it seems particularly stupid to lie to NHS staff who are in the thick of things

thank you for your service jabby

lying to the NHS workers makes it official

now there's no PPE shortage because they don't need it anyway

*sends 'unneeded' PPE stocks elsewhere*

wow PPE availability is increasing! thank u government
-some blue tick journalist

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've got a portable air con unit and i love it but i'm only using it to cool a single room when i do use it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Is boris dead yet

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TACD is a different poster :colbert:

(but yeah that did confuse me too, my first thought was "why does an attic have a west wall which is all window")

Just lol if you think I read any posts at all, let alone bother to differentiate between any of you lot.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Is boris dead yet

He currently exists in a quantum state between life and death.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

i've got a portable air con unit and i love it but i'm only using it to cool a single room when i do use it

Mine can do a not-bad job of cooling my whole house if I put it at the top of the stairs with the air hose going out through the spare bedroom window and all the other windows and curtains closed (although it basically runs at full chat the whole time), but gently caress everyone else - if I run it in my bedroom with the window sealed around the hose it can chill it down to breath-seeing temps which is what I actually want. It sounds like a tumble dryer with a throat infection though, I think the compressor is on its last legs and almost ten years of being kicked around means the plastics are pretty loose and rattle like a motherfucker, but that's still preferable to trying to sleep when it gets swampy round here.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

bernie is ending his campaign. cool that the world is getting another 4 years of trump imo

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
Aircon chat: These are pretty good if you've only got a one-hose portable.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

bernie is ending his campaign. cool that the world is getting another 4 years of trump imo

TBF, I don't think it matters either way given that the Republicans are trying so incredibly hard to rig the election this time around.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Bobstar posted:

I have stopped shaving for the Covid even though it looks worse (for now), and there's no reason because my face shaver is working just as well as pre-Covid...

Lol same. Probably because nobody's gonna see anyway so why not indulge that lifelong curiosity and see how you look in a full grown beard

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

At this point I'm more curious what I look like without one. Though i suspect it's still poo poo.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Maugrim posted:

Lol same. Probably because nobody's gonna see anyway so why not indulge that lifelong curiosity and see how you look in a full grown beard

This is absolutely my reason. I’ve never had a full on beard, my girlfriend is 100 miles away and will be for the duration so - gently caress it, let’s have a go!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Now if the Democrats can just figure out a way for Unca Joe to remember his own name and stop sniffing women for a few months

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

crispix posted:

Now if the Democrats can just figure out a way for Unca Joe to remember his own name and stop sniffing women for a few months

And not loving die as well.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Jose posted:

Libs lost their poo poo when Joe Rogan said he would vote for Trump instead of Biden even though it literally perfectly illustrated why Bernie would have won. loving hell, it's so hard to not despair sometimes.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I'm still shaving because I look crap with s beard but the missus was curious as to how I'd look with longer hair now, considering I haven't had longer than jaw-length in a decade I figured why not?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

crispix posted:

they're going to hide him away from everyone so he doesn't get asked about the rape

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jose posted:

they're going to hide him away from everyone so he doesn't get asked about the rape

Also so he doesn't get the rona

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Jose posted:

worked for Boris

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jose posted:

god the debates are gonnabe so loving funny

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

In your situation a portable AC unit would really struggle, i think. Even mine can struggle and we have a small window that faces west.

If i were you i would literally just cover the window in foil to reflect the light out

Semi related, has anyone had any luck using those solar reflective films on their windows for hot rooms?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Jose posted:

Even if they did manage to ask him about it the odds of getting an answer that isn't utter gibberish is less than zero.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bump_fn posted:

god the debates are gonnabe so loving funny
Two perfectly smooth brains in a moral vacuum.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

crispix posted:

They've already gotten what they wanted. In a fight between Sanders or Trump they were always gonna choose the latter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't wait for all the reasons why they lose to donald trump twice in a row lmao

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Two perfectly smooth brains in a moral vacuum.

Imagine four perfectly smooth brains on the edge of a cliff.

This too, is time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Can't wait for all the reasons why they lose to donald trump twice in a row lmao

lol they've already decided its sanders and his voters fault

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

which betting site has the best odds for Trump reelection?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

George W Bush Donald Trump does a bad thing

Liberals: "Hah, let's see him wriggle into a 2nd term now"

George W Bush Donald Trump wriggles into a 2nd term easily

Liberals: "Ah. Well, nevertheless..."

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

kecske posted:

which betting site has the best odds for Trump reelection?

Probably paddy power at 10/11.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Has there been any data on the success rate of CPR for COVID patients compared to all-causes?

Edit: 1997 is the year after Tony Blair was elected.

Not that I've seen. I doubt anyone who has a cardiac arrest due to covid will survive to discharge though.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

zentigeist posted:

Libs lost their poo poo when Joe Rogan said he would vote for Trump instead of Biden even though it literally perfectly illustrated why Bernie would have won. loving hell, it's so hard to not despair sometimes.
Their reactions have been beautifully telling though.

Like how even they knew they hosed up when the most praise they could heap on Biden after a media performance was "he sounded so lucid and coherent there". Or when they immediately and quietly gave up on #MeToo when accusations against Biden emerged. When you're at the point where your big argument is "if the only options are rapists then vote for the rapist with the best policies" and you can even specify what those policies are, you're absolutely loving done with reality.

I hope they shelve Biden for Hillary at the DNC though. It would be so satisfying to watch her weird fans eat poo poo again.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1247918880741363712

On the day of the highest death toll so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I am enjoying this incredibly low-key slap fight about the correct order of the slogan written on the front of the loving podium.