Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Arzakon posted:

Send me your contact details because I can't nominate a community hero with just an SA username

The last thing I want is people getting the impression that helpful is something I do on purpose. It raises expectations dramatically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

The last thing I want is people getting the impression that helpful is something I do on purpose. It raises expectations dramatically

do you want a job i am hiring and you've already aced team fit

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

OK but how do I delete those tags?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Pile Of Garbage posted:

OK but how do I delete those tags?

You can try tossing it at support but it is unlikely there is anything to be done other than replace the resources completely.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Arzakon posted:

do you want a job i am hiring and you've already aced team fit

sure. I already have one job so it's gonna be hard for me to do work for you atm but I'm not gonna turn down another paycheck. Might be easier to think of it as a retainer on my future services when my current employer folds in Q3 and my daytime is freed up

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nomnom Cookie posted:

when my current employer folds in Q3 and my daytime is freed up

true feel

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
How did you get into this situation anyway? Like I know the literal sequence of events that you posted, but why did that happen? Why are you still using resources that were created with a CF template that no longer exists?

I'm not trying to override your question or invalidate it, sorry. Just curious what happened?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I know it's very small potatoes but I just wrote a Lambda migration tool to swap configuration settings and script values across accounts on the fly and it surprisingly worked the first try. It's also the first decent work I've done all week as children at home 24/7 makes for getting almost nothing done except for surface level meetings and ticketing.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

How did you get into this situation anyway? Like I know the literal sequence of events that you posted, but why did that happen? Why are you still using resources that were created with a CF template that no longer exists?

I'm not trying to override your question or invalidate it, sorry. Just curious what happened?

The DeleteStack operation has a RetainResources parameter. The CF console will give you the option to use it when you delete a stack that was already in delete_failed status (which is not uncommon at all; lots of AWS resources have conditions on when you can delete them. e.g. S3 buckets must be empty.)

(Edit: this post is bad because you were really asking why.)

dividertabs fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 22, 2020

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Basically what dividertabs said:

dividertabs posted:

The DeleteStack operation has a RetainResources parameter. The CF console will give you the option to use it when you delete a stack that was already in delete_failed status (which is not uncommon at all; lots of AWS resources have conditions on when you can delete them. e.g. S3 buckets must be empty.)

I had a bunch of CFN stacks deploying EC2 instances and I really needed the CFN to gently caress-off because it was bad and a risk so I enabled API Termination Protection on the EC2s, deleted the stacks which failed and then deleted a second time selecting to retain the EC2 instances. Janky af but it worked.

It was a situation born out of a rushed project with insufficient time to design or prototype things.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm porting code from a Lambda over to a container on ECS.
The part where I access a key on SecretsManager now returns a None object (I'm on Python).
The code is the same (a copy paste from the get_secret method provided by aws), permissions, roles, vpc and endpoints settings are the same.
I've been testing on a minimalist container that only tries to fetch the key.

I'd appreciate help.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

unpacked robinhood posted:

I'm porting code from a Lambda over to a container on ECS.
The part where I access a key on SecretsManager now returns a None object (I'm on Python).
The code is the same (a copy paste from the get_secret method provided by aws), permissions, roles, vpc and endpoints settings are the same.
I've been testing on a minimalist container that only tries to fetch the key.

I'd appreciate help.

There’s a lot it might be. Try printing your Secrets Manager client session config and see if it reflects what you expect.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Basically what dividertabs said:

I had a bunch of CFN stacks deploying EC2 instances and I really needed the CFN to gently caress-off because it was bad and a risk so I enabled API Termination Protection on the EC2s, deleted the stacks which failed and then deleted a second time selecting to retain the EC2 instances. Janky af but it worked.

It was a situation born out of a rushed project with insufficient time to design or prototype things.

This would be a variety of yellow flags for me in my employer's prod account.

There should be no situation where an ec2 instance can't be arbitrarily deleted and recreated, is the first one. Any application running in aws needs to be able to tolerate the random and immediate loss of at least one ec2 instance -- it doesn't have to be automatic recovery or even anything more fancy than 'restore snapshot or move volume to new ec2 instance' -- enabling a configuration option to intentionally cause another service to fail is probably the least operationally sane way to accomplish getting something out of a stack.

The best way to get this done, IMO, assuming you can't just reprovision the ec2 instance for some reason, would be to add a DeletionPolicy to your cfn resource(s) that specifies retain and then to delete the stack. Most importantly this gets you git history, but it also makes your aws logs cleaner and easier to audit if necessary because you have a single successful operation against a resource in a known state instead of a variety of failed api calls and overrides made through a proxy service.

While reading the documentation for DeletionPolicy you would also probably come across the UpdatePolicy specification which could address any concerns you have over the cloudformation stack being a risk. CloudFormation is an extremely safe and reliable service if you take the time to read about all of the functionality it provides.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

This isn't my first rodeo. My remit was X number of workloads with Y capabilities. X and Y were never defined and to this day remain as such. I took-over a quarter into the thing where a lovely pattern had already been adopted. None of these workloads were designed to be shoot+respawn and we didn't have the time to make it so. By the time I was in multiple EC2 instances had been deployed straight from CFN stacks which was bad. I tore that down and transitioned to deploying Launch Templates via CFN as the workloads had common OS, SG, Instance Profile and User Data. That way further systems can be deployed abstracted from CFN.

I made best with what I was given. I was worried about the tags because maybe someone with more time on their hands than me will get confused.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PierreTheMime posted:

There’s a lot it might be. Try printing your Secrets Manager client session config and see if it reflects what you expect.

Is it something readily accessible, or do I need to poke around inside boto3 ? There's no obvious way looking at the docs but I haven't dug a lot.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Is it something readily accessible, or do I need to poke around inside boto3 ? There's no obvious way looking at the docs but I haven't dug a lot.

post the code.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Try grabbing some default session information like so:
Python code:
session = boto3.session.Session()
print(session)
print(session.get_available_resources())
print(session.get_credentials().access_key)
print(session.get_credentials().secret_key)
It should be pretty obvious if you don't have a valid session or your credentials aren't what you expect.

The following should use the same credentials to connect to Secrets Manager and access a secret. In this case, I just grabbed an example for an SMTP account:

Python code:
client = boto3.client('secretsmanager')
secrets = client.get_secret_value(SecretId='SMTPAccount')
secretobj = json.loads(secrets['SecretString'])
user_name = secretobj['SMTPUser']
password = secretobj['SMTPPassword']
print(user_name + ' ' + password)

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PierreTheMime posted:

Try grabbing some default session information like so:
Python code:
session = boto3.session.Session()
print(session)
print(session.get_available_resources())
print(session.get_credentials().access_key)
print(session.get_credentials().secret_key)
It should be pretty obvious if you don't have a valid session or your credentials aren't what you expect.

Thanks, I was stuck looking at the SecretsManager api only.

We eventually fixed it, it was a typo in a policy, which in our case didn't trigger an explicit error.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
What’s the preferred method to migrate Glue jobs and their underlying components to another account? Right now people in my office are still getting their head around working with AWS and it makes duplicating things across accounts take forever.

If anyone had any documentation about it it would be great.

Cerberus911
Dec 26, 2005
Guarding the damned since '05

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Did some Googling of this earlier today but couldn't find an answer: is it possible to delete AWS reserved tags from resources? I've got a bunch of EC2 instances that were spun-up from CFN templates that have since been deleted however the instances all still have the AWS reserved tags for CFN on them. If you try to delete the tags via the console it just spits an error about how you can't delete AWS reserved tags.

I hit this situation in the past year. We had some legacy resources managed by CFN and wanted them to be managed by Terraform to conform with everything else we do.

- Create an IAM role that only has CFN access and nothing else.
- Use that role to delete the stack. It will fail since it doesn’t have permission to modify the resources managed by the stack.
- Delete again. This time there will be an option to delete the stack but leave the underlying resources behind. This will remove the CFN tags.

This can be done through the CLI as well.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cerberus911 posted:

I hit this situation in the past year. We had some legacy resources managed by CFN and wanted them to be managed by Terraform to conform with everything else we do.

- Create an IAM role that only has CFN access and nothing else.
- Use that role to delete the stack. It will fail since it doesn’t have permission to modify the resources managed by the stack.
- Delete again. This time there will be an option to delete the stack but leave the underlying resources behind. This will remove the CFN tags.

This can be done through the CLI as well.

That won't delete the CFN tags and doesn't really help as I've already nuked the stacks:

Pile Of Garbage posted:

How did it even delete the tags when you did it? If there's one consistent thing about AWS its permissions. I suspect that only the CFN principal can delete the AWS tags which means your role would need tag deletion permissions as well.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

PierreTheMime posted:

What’s the preferred method to migrate Glue jobs and their underlying components to another account? Right now people in my office are still getting their head around working with AWS and it makes duplicating things across accounts take forever.

If anyone had any documentation about it it would be great.

For those curious, the official answer from our TAM is there is no way to migrate Glue Jobs normally, but you can do it yourself using the API if you want to play around with it enough. I've created the code to migrate Jobs and perform updates prior to creating them in the destination account (update buckets, script content, roles, etc.). My plan is to lay the foundation into the new account with CloudFormation to setup the the roles, Redshift, S3 and connection info, and then use the code to perform migration actions against a defined list of Jobs with what changes are necessary to match the new account.

Is this sane? It seems useful and the people in my office seem to want it but I don't know why this functionality doesn't just exist already.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Does anyone know if there's a MFA for the aws console that can be configured to allow push notifications? I'm getting *really* tired of typing in numbers from my phone. Microsoft Authenticator has kinda spoiled me.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
I think you need to go down the sso route for that

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Amazons mfa uses the tokens, but if you hooked up a role to your own auth you can do whatever you want.

I’ve started doing that for groups in my company and it’s a benefit since they just self manage one login and 2factor process.

You still need the code for the root account though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm trying to convince our developers to move to AWS Organisations and put SSO in, authing against Azure AD. They seem to think that SSO is less secure because if you're already logged into Azure AD then you don't have to put a password in again to use AWS (I've already done a conditional access demo), so actually having all the accounts separate is better. The other push back I'm getting is that because they are only a small team that their manager is happy to create and turn off accounts as required.

If were big enough to have a security team I'd get them to have a word. I'm also a bit confused at a software developer actively pushing back against automating a process (new starter when in the right group automatically pops up in AWS ready to be assigned permissions) but I think a part of it is empire building.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Bhodi posted:

Does anyone know if there's a MFA for the aws console that can be configured to allow push notifications? I'm getting *really* tired of typing in numbers from my phone. Microsoft Authenticator has kinda spoiled me.

Not exactly, but Yubikeys are USB MFA tokens where you just press button in browser and it does the magic. They have an added benefit of spitting out long character strings if you hold them down so you'll get to spam Slack whenever you walk around holding your laptop unlocked while touching it.

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/security/use-yubikey-security-key-sign-into-aws-management-console/

They work for multiple accounts and even non-AWS stuff so you don't need a hundred of them.

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm trying to convince our developers to move to AWS Organisations and put SSO in, authing against Azure AD.

Go look through all of your AWS accounts and find a former employee who still has an IAM user or maybe even some access keys then shame them. Or just find them doing something incredibly dumb like using root, root access keys, or just something else stupid that increases your risk and use that as an excuse to own policy for all of your orgs AWS accounts. Alternatively I will physically fight them for you.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Trying to price out some cloud options for a project I'm on.

Basically, we will be generating tons of images and storing them. It'll be a responsive web interface, nothing fancy there. There will likely be a need for predicting neural network stuff but it's nothing super compute heavy.

So, I'm thinking:

EC2 for web servers/NN predictions, S3 for storing the image files, and CloudFront as a CDN.

Is that pretty standard, or am I missing something with AWS? It seems like they have like a million different products compared to someone like DigitalOcean so I'm kind of confused. Not reinventing the wheel here by any measure.

Is there some kind of guide out there for AWS dummies?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Protocol7 posted:

Trying to price out some cloud options for a project I'm on.

Basically, we will be generating tons of images and storing them. It'll be a responsive web interface, nothing fancy there. There will likely be a need for predicting neural network stuff but it's nothing super compute heavy.

So, I'm thinking:

EC2 for web servers/NN predictions, S3 for storing the image files, and CloudFront as a CDN.

Is that pretty standard, or am I missing something with AWS? It seems like they have like a million different products compared to someone like DigitalOcean so I'm kind of confused. Not reinventing the wheel here by any measure.

Is there some kind of guide out there for AWS dummies?

What is the “neural network stuff”?

Because I’d use lambda for compute, s3 for image storage AND web hosting and CloudFront for your CDN.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Agrikk posted:

What is the “neural network stuff”?

Because I’d use lambda for compute, s3 for image storage AND web hosting and CloudFront for your CDN.

Tensorflow backed API for image segmentation. Image goes in, artifacts of predictions go out into a DB of some kind.

In hindsight I spaced the DB part. Not really sure if I need an RBDMS for this project, but I know either way AWS still has an option, so I’m not too worried about that.

Haven’t really dug into lambda though, I’ll definitely take a look!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
You can go to https://calculator.aws and price out most stuff to get an idea.

Though I was trying to check fargate docker container prices earlier and didn’t know where they were in this new estimator page if they are even there.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm trying to convince our developers to move to AWS Organisations and put SSO in, authing against Azure AD. They seem to think that SSO is less secure because if you're already logged into Azure AD then you don't have to put a password in again to use AWS (I've already done a conditional access demo), so actually having all the accounts separate is better. The other push back I'm getting is that because they are only a small team that their manager is happy to create and turn off accounts as required.

If were big enough to have a security team I'd get them to have a word. I'm also a bit confused at a software developer actively pushing back against automating a process (new starter when in the right group automatically pops up in AWS ready to be assigned permissions) but I think a part of it is empire building.

Speaking as a developer who's repeatedly been suffering through petty annoyances because of process improvements, it's probably just something like the azure ad login form loading slightly more slowly than the aws signin.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Roughly daily, I get 10 million rows (as parquet files) in S3, provided by another team, all at once. They need to be accessible by key in a service (such that looking up a single row by ID is <100ms). So our ETL is extremely bursty, but our client is a typical service with relatively low usage and low variance in usage.

Currently my team does this by triggering an AWS EMR Spark job to read the parquet files and write each row to a DynamoDB table with autoscaling. The job also temporarily sets the table's write capacity higher when the job triggers. It works reliably, but I don't like how long it takes to create the EMR cluster and scale up the table. We don't know ahead of time when the parquet files will be ready, so we can't schedule the scaling ahead of time; and I don't want to leave the resources around all the time.

Is there a different service that solves this problem better?

Other things we've tried:
  • years ago we would convert each row to a unique object in S3. The p99 latency was too high (over 1 second from ec2 in the same region). Additionally, the latency to get a 404 when the key did not exist was too high. But the ETL with no scaling required is what I'm looking for.
  • DynamoDB on-demand pricing. They don't tell you this in their documentation* but it still throttles. It appears to just be a wrapper hiding Dynamo's autoscaling feature plus a different billing scheme.

One last minor detail. It's not really one batch job providing 10 million rows. It's several batch jobs, each providing between 10 rows and 10 million, at different times, but not enough jobs to smooth out the burstiness of our ETL needs.

*To rant, this kind of marketing- instead of technical- focused documentation is the main reason I roll my eyes every time I hear someone in AWS mention "customer obsession"

dividertabs fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 14, 2020

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

For Dynamo scaling the best thing would probably be to have your upstream team post a "we're getting started now'" event and use that to preemptively scale your table up. You would be paying extra to prewarm, but not 24/7 extra.

You could also drop EMR and manage your own spark cluster that you hibernate. I don't know enough about spark cluster internals to determine if this is better than EMR or just different bad.

It kind of seems like you want all of the benefits of unlimited scaling available to you instantly with no prewarm duration and no extra costs which isn't super realistic in today's AWS IMO.

Have you tried any of the redshift features in this area? Redshift Spectrum your stuff from S3 directly into a table or a view or something and then convert your clients from Dynamo calls to Redshift queries? I'm not sure if the redshift parquet feature is faster or slower than EMR though, I've never used it.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

12 rats tied together posted:

It kind of seems like you want all of the benefits of unlimited scaling available to you instantly with no prewarm duration and no extra costs which isn't super realistic in today's AWS IMO.

Pretty much, yes. At least, I want to simplify managing the capacity, while still having reasonable scaling (to do ETL in under a minute on small inputs, and to scale up eventually to handle really large inputs). We will build a service to do this if we can't buy it. But I think this solution is already for sale, I just don't know about it.

quote:

Have you tried any of the redshift features in this area? Redshift Spectrum your stuff from S3 directly into a table or a view or something and then convert your clients from Dynamo calls to Redshift queries? I'm not sure if the redshift parquet feature is faster or slower than EMR though, I've never used it.
I don't know anything about Redshift; I can ask around if anyone at my company uses it. The rows need some transformation to be servable (but each row is independent of the others); can Redshift transform them?

dividertabs fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 14, 2020

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Redshift is basically a specialized form of clustered postgres, so you have most of what you can do in postgres available to you and most of what you would expect from SQL like basic math, time and date stuff, you can find a better list here. It also supports user defined functions which you can write in python or sql.

Redshift clusters also run 24/7 and have significant operational overhead compared to a dynamo table, you need to pick a dist and sort key, if you pick a bad one your queries are going to be significantly slower and might exceed that <100ms threshold. I would suspect that you could probably get your reads to be "about as fast, maybe faster/better" if you can do any sort of batching and caching instead of needing to pull single keys truly at random, redshift does do some pretty decent query response caching though and that is enabled by default so repeated calls to the same key would be reasonably quick.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
You could also try Athen for S3 and skip all the processing.

Athena is simply a database-like wrapper for ordered files in S3.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Thanks. I will need to ask co-workers more about Redshift, or go through the documentation. I just don't understand what it is or how we would integrate with it.

12 rats tied together posted:

if you can do any sort of batching and caching instead of needing to pull single keys truly at random
We cannot. A typical use case is that one row corresponds to one userId, who might make a request at any time.

Athena is not built to support low-latency lookup by key, correct?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Athena is managed presto and totally unsuitable for point queries.

Some more information would be helpful, like read volume, how often you get data drops, how long you can wait for data to be queryable, how large your query store is in total, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

you could try Glue, it's basically serverless spark