Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

dema posted:

Interesting:

There has to be something terribly wrong with it, right?

probably just a really weird floorplan making the house awkward to live in and unsuitable for a family who could actually use this much space. like to access the drunk nook:

you have to drop this wheeled ladder into the living space:

there's also a pool that's like four feet wide. it's just a weird house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Love having that Ladder of Damocles over my head all day.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
imagine having all that elaborate setup for crown royale and jim beam apple

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This house was built from scratch with that layout?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

It was a KU Architecture School design project.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

actionjackson posted:

oops attachment. as you can see the floor is pretty ugly so covering it with something is the cheapest option.

hey, here's another part of my bathroom. as you can see the walls are REALLY dark brown.

It had been suggested to do a navy floor runner and then do a navy shower curtain. However I'm wondering if I should just repaint the room to something that isn't so...dark. You can also see there's some damage to the paint due to humidity (I don't run my fan nearly enough during/after showering).

Of course I want something that will still work with whatever mat I have, as well as the remaining visible floor. Any suggestions? Maybe just an off white or white?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 7, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Oof yeah I didn't realize that was dark brown. My goal with the whole thing would be to make it look like something other than a bear's den, but tbf I just don't like brown. That is a lot of brown, though. Everything I added to the room would be navy or crisp white. Getting the walls from dark brown to white would be a pain in the rear end, just a warning, but I'd probably still try it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

luxury handset posted:

probably just a really weird floorplan making the house awkward to live in and unsuitable for a family who could actually use this much space. like to access the drunk nook:

you have to drop this wheeled ladder into the living space:

This is where George Thorogood wrote the song " I Drink Alone"

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
also from those photos if you're up on the drunk catwalk it looks like you can peer down on anyone sitting on the toilet in that open ceiling bathroom

conversely, better hope nobody is having a troublesome deuce while you're enjoying yourself in the booze attic

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

luxury handset posted:

also from those photos if you're up on the drunk catwalk it looks like you can peer down on anyone sitting on the toilet in that open ceiling bathroom

conversely, better hope nobody is having a troublesome deuce while you're enjoying yourself in the booze attic

Yeah, you can only ask so much of a vanilla candle.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Oof yeah I didn't realize that was dark brown. My goal with the whole thing would be to make it look like something other than a bear's den, but tbf I just don't like brown. That is a lot of brown, though. Everything I added to the room would be navy or crisp white. Getting the walls from dark brown to white would be a pain in the rear end, just a warning, but I'd probably still try it.

Yeah I was looking at doing a dutch white which I guess is pretty much just white. I know there are some paints that will cover pretty much any color so I'll have to ask about that.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

Yeah I was looking at doing a dutch white which I guess is pretty much just white. I know there are some paints that will cover pretty much any color so I'll have to ask about that.

Yes, do repaint especially if you're going for a dark rug. The last thing you need is something else that will suck up light in a windowless room. I'm personally team pick literally any color you drat cowards, but if white is what you're feeling then go with it.

You might be thinking of paint and primer mixes which are really heavy and do cover a lot. If that's not an option, prime it and keep priming it until the brown is completely gone and you have white walls to apply your paint to. White paint on its own doesn't cover poo poo, and you'll just end up wasting layers of expensive paint when you could have been putting down cheap primer.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there wolf posted:

Yes, do repaint especially if you're going for a dark rug. The last thing you need is something else that will suck up light in a windowless room. I'm personally team pick literally any color you drat cowards, but if white is what you're feeling then go with it.

You might be thinking of paint and primer mixes which are really heavy and do cover a lot. If that's not an option, prime it and keep priming it until the brown is completely gone and you have white walls to apply your paint to. White paint on its own doesn't cover poo poo, and you'll just end up wasting layers of expensive paint when you could have been putting down cheap primer.

Yeah probably. I think a better option after talking to my aunt is a very warm and very light brown.

For example the first column on this https://www.behr.com/consumer/colors/paint/explore/marquee/oneCoat2019Families/brown/3 (e.g. plateau)

These all have an LRV of around 58-60 or so. The LRV of my current paint is probably like... 3 haha

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 7, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pastel green or green tea will compliment the brown and white fixtures :3

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

drgitlin posted:

It’s in Lawrence, Kansas.

Lawrence isn't that bad.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

peanut posted:

Pastel green or green tea will compliment the brown and white fixtures :3

that's true, but it won't match with the floor at all.

my aunt suggested muslin https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color/1037/muslin?color=1037

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "library ladder"

This Neon Ranch is so perfectly 80s yet it was built in 2015. Is there something in the water in Ohio?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

that's true, but it won't match with the floor at all.

my aunt suggested muslin https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color/1037/muslin?color=1037

Not a bad choice. Might turn a little green/grey up against the yellow but that's fixed by going a little up the warmth scale if it's a problem at all. But I don't get why you're ruling out the blue and green greys all together. Is it just a color you don't like, because otherwise they usually go pretty well with warm neutrals like your tile. I'm flying a little blind on what color your floor actually is but here's a palette that seems to fit what you've got going on already with the tile and shower curtain.

In general I wouldn't be overly concerned with picking the lightest possible shade because anything lighter than that brown is going make that room open up like crazy.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there wolf posted:

Not a bad choice. Might turn a little green/grey up against the yellow but that's fixed by going a little up the warmth scale if it's a problem at all. But I don't get why you're ruling out the blue and green greys all together. Is it just a color you don't like, because otherwise they usually go pretty well with warm neutrals like your tile. I'm flying a little blind on what color your floor actually is but here's a palette that seems to fit what you've got going on already with the tile and shower curtain.

In general I wouldn't be overly concerned with picking the lightest possible shade because anything lighter than that brown is going make that room open up like crazy.

Right I see what you mean. Goldfinch isn't really representative of my tile color, but I'm not sure how best to describe it. It has a mix of cream and yellowish-brown I'd say.

Blue is actually my favorite color, but I'd have to have one that really went well with the floor. Also I have some stuff on the wall that has a brownish theme and I want that to match with the paint as well.

This palette is similar to what you mentioned, though the color is more similar to my floor.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color/829/sunrise?color=829

(click "goes with" then the second one with the darker brown)

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 8, 2020

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Youth Decay posted:

I'm a total sucker for this.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Ladder + saltwater aquarium seems very dangerous to me

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm a total sucker for this.

ah yes, the ~wood desk and overstuffed pleather highback chair~, an ersatz representation of antiquated masculine form which has faded in favor of fat dad underarms, juxtaposed by the painting of a virile, upright horse with the youthful vigor of a hard-working stable hand, his rough hands tenderly caressing his lover kneeling before him, a fleeting memory of a wasted youth and love that once was, left only in taste by a few, dull glances from a spouse who simultaneously eyes the poolboy and sighs as she shuts the door on the ashes of her husband again in the study, its books, like her heart, which she will never open toward him again

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

PRADA SLUT posted:

ah yes, the ~wood desk and overstuffed pleather highback chair~, an ersatz representation of antiquated masculine form which has faded in favor of fat dad underarms, juxtaposed by the painting of a virile, upright horse with the youthful vigor of a hard-working stable hand, his rough hands tenderly caressing his lover kneeling before him, a fleeting memory of a wasted youth and love that once was, left only in taste by a few, dull glances from a spouse who simultaneously eyes the poolboy and sighs as she shuts the door on the ashes of her husband again in the study, its books, like her heart, which she will never open toward him again

Only scrubs buy pleather.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Lawrence isn't that bad.

Yes but I imagine the market for avant-garde architecture school design project houses is pretty small, and doesn’t stretch to $600k.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

Right I see what you mean. Goldfinch isn't really representative of my tile color, but I'm not sure how best to describe it. It has a mix of cream and yellowish-brown I'd say.

Blue is actually my favorite color, but I'd have to have one that really went well with the floor. Also I have some stuff on the wall that has a brownish theme and I want that to match with the paint as well.

Yeah, that drat fleshy orange-yellow tile is a default feature of almost every track home built before the housing crash where I am, and it's never easy to describe it with a specific color because it changes with the light a lot. But I've seen it paired with a lot of colors and always thought it looked best with blues.

That Sunrise looks like a great place to start; if your tester ends up a little flat then try something in that same blue-violet area that's a little brighter or more saturated to up the contrast a little more. I don't think you need to worry about the browns because when the big brown wrapper is gone then they'll be the darkest thing in the room and recede significantly to the more vivid colors the way the white porcelain does.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

Is there something in the water in Ohio?

yeah absolutely, it is practically the state motto

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

I'm the world's second-ugliest sofa in an otherwise nice room.

e: This is the ugliest:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm the world's second-ugliest sofa in an otherwise nice room.

e: This is the ugliest:

With the soft photograph edging, this reminds me of a picture of the deceased, taken from a memorial webpage.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Is it?

there wolf fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 8, 2020

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Need a denim couch in my life, complete with pockets to store stuff like the remote that incidentally get crushed when I sit down and don’t notice them.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Those jeans are fuckin' huge, jesus. Those are like size 50's.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

actionjackson posted:

This palette is similar to what you mentioned, though the color is more similar to my floor.

Go with an off-white greige then. (That's probably the safest, modern choice today). You'll be able to get some of the green undertone, while still adding some contrast to your floor color, brightening up the space, and not appearing too blue. Use a standard white trim color.

I know this is a really really boring and standard choice, but there's a reason for that :).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there wolf posted:

Yeah, that drat fleshy orange-yellow tile is a default feature of almost every track home built before the housing crash where I am, and it's never easy to describe it with a specific color because it changes with the light a lot. But I've seen it paired with a lot of colors and always thought it looked best with blues.

That Sunrise looks like a great place to start; if your tester ends up a little flat then try something in that same blue-violet area that's a little brighter or more saturated to up the contrast a little more. I don't think you need to worry about the browns because when the big brown wrapper is gone then they'll be the darkest thing in the room and recede significantly to the more vivid colors the way the white porcelain does.

Thanks. My aunt has a whole book of all the benjamin moore samples in relatively large sizes, so we'll be able to decide with plenty of info available.

You're right about the tile, this place was built in 2004.

In regards to the other poster about greige - I don't think this is my thing, assuming this is what you are referring to

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6073-perfect-greige

I think the palette I mentioned above will work well, with the dark browns I already have, the orange-yellow tile, and then a blue paint like this

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Time to repost a classic:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Yeah but library.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1247940070675529730?s=20

Did anyone post Bieber's house in here and I missed it?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1247940070675529730?s=20

Did anyone post Bieber's house in here and I missed it?

I don't remember if I saw this tweet independently or in this thread:

https://twitter.com/MarkAgee/status/1246929231537299456

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

If you fall in Drake's house I assume you just break your head in two with all that marble

also it looks like poo poo, but I can't stand gaudery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

this is Donkey Kong's couch