Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Shawn Spears has been pretty good fun as a commentator the couple of times he's done Dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Anyone know the approximate year for the first time these happened?

* pro wrestling match with a fixed outcome
* gimmick
* top rope dive
* tag team match
* triple threat match
* use of weapons
* battle royal
* racist gimmick

Thanks in advance!

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 4, 2020

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The first is as old as time: there's evidence from as far back as 1870 of newspapers openly discussing the rigged nature of Pro Wrestling. Would like to say that tag team wrestling developed in the 20s but I could be wrong and misremembering something there; and I also imagine racism in wrestling is also as old as time as well.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Juice Robinson on commentary has always been fun.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

IceAgeComing posted:

The first is as old as time: there's evidence from as far back as 1870 of newspapers openly discussing the rigged nature of Pro Wrestling. Would like to say that tag team wrestling developed in the 20s but I could be wrong and misremembering something there; and I also imagine racism in wrestling is also as old as time as well.

Awesome. Thanks!

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Web Jew.0 posted:

* gimmick
* top rope dive
* tag team match
* triple threat match
* use of weapons
* battle royal
* racist gimmick

Thanks in advance!

I'm quite positive three-way matches were invented in the 90's, maybe by ECW.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I'd like to say that ECW borrowed three ways from somewhere else but I can't think of an exact example of one, just something that I read somewhere a while back.

Some other examples of earliest times I can remember reading about things which probably existed before then: Pro Wrestling ended up being banned in London (and probably other UK towns) in the late 1930s because promoters ended up relying on bloody weapons brawls and things like women's mud wrestling matches to cover the fact that the talent pool was spread very thin since there were far more promoters and shows than there were talent to fill the spots so certainly before then. Top rope moves (and dives and other things like that) are all over that really interesting French catch wrestling stuff you see from the late 50s so they were at least a major thing in that part of the world at that time - I can't say I've watched a lot of stuff from that time though so perhaps there could be something earlier; especially from Mexico.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Web Jew.0 posted:

* gimmick
* top rope dive
* tag team match
* triple threat match
* use of weapons
* battle royal
* racist gimmick

Thanks in advance!

Fixed matches date back to at least the 1850s

Depends what you want to define as a gimmick. People were using assumed names in the 1800s, the first gimmick gimmick I can think of was The Masked Marvel who wrestled in the Manhattan Opera House (now Hammerstein Ballroom) International Tournament in 1915. They made a point of his identity being mysterious.

No clue on top rope dive, the first dive and use of "weapons" might be Frank Gotch doing a high spot where he and his opponent would fall into the orchestra pit.

Tag team matches were said to start in SF at the turn of the century but that's probably not true. The first Tornado rules match might predate the first tag in the 30s. I believe tag team matches started gaining steam around that time and were called Australian Rules matches.

Smoky Mountain started using triple threats which ECW then copied but I think the actual first triple threat goes back to the 70s?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I believe evidence was recently unearthed that fixed wrestling matches were taking place in ancient Rome.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I believe evidence was recently unearthed that fixed wrestling matches were taking place in ancient Rome.

Pretty sure they found the booker's actual, literal book on this one.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

XeeD posted:

That's how I remember it as well.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Oh poo poo, that’s cool, hadn’t heard of it before. Here’s a short article on it found via a quick googling: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/Wrestling-Was-Fixed-Even-in-Ancient-Rome-180951795/

I think it’s not unrealistic to assume that there has been fixed outcomes about as long as there has been gambling.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The first gambling and worked matches were done simultaneously on riverboats. These boats were built on rivers by the first boatmakers, also known as shipwrights. and there was no way to get the boat out of that river after. They kept on leaving it in there and saying, "you figure out what to do with it" and by god they did. they showed everyone. but the shipwrights did too, when they started making the boats in the ocean. Everyone got what was coming to them in the end

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I wonder if Clarence Whistler vs William Muldoon was the first worked modern storyline/blood feud or if those guys just hated each other so much.

They had a 7 hour match where Muldoon accused Whistler of putting ammonia in his hair and wearing his fingernails long to cut up Muldoon. Then they started touring, but had a dispute over a girl, and Whistler vowed revenge, and kept insulting Muldoon until he finally got a rematch 2 years later. It seems like it was known they got along in between the periods where they hated each other so I could go either way on it.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

XeeD posted:

taking notes on a criminal loving conspiracy

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

I wonder if Clarence Whistler vs William Muldoon was the first worked modern storyline/blood feud or if those guys just hated each other so much.

They had a 7 hour match where Muldoon accused Whistler of putting ammonia in his hair and wearing his fingernails long to cut up Muldoon. Then they started touring, but had a dispute over a girl, and Whistler vowed revenge, and kept insulting Muldoon until he finally got a rematch 2 years later. It seems like it was known they got along in between the periods where they hated each other so I could go either way on it.

Make a period piece of this

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Make a period piece of this

Would be incredible. Or just a Muldoon biopic.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MassRafTer posted:

They had a 7 hour match

Please don't give HHH any more ideas

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Benne posted:

didnt edge and orton just have a 7 hour match

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

HHH, HBK and Gabe Sapolsky are all working together.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Given that Edge and Christian are supposedly brothers, did we ever get their last name?

Same question for The Undertaker and Kane. Although it could be Kane Bearer, but I don't think Paul married their mum.

Harlem heat is easy, as their last name is clearly T, after Booker won the rights to that name off of Ahmed Johnston.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Maybe it's a Mario Mario situation?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Maybe it's a Mario Mario situation?

So their full names are "Edge and Christian" and "Christian and Christian"? Seems legit to me.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I'm going to go with Journey into Darkness' continuity and say that the Brothers of Destruction are Glen (portrayed by Glenn Jacobs) and Mark Callaway (portrayed by Mark Calaway). See, it's the subtle differences in spelling that make all the difference to maintaining kayfabe

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

SG Bamboo posted:

I'm going to go with Journey into Darkness' continuity and say that the Brothers of Destruction are Glen (portrayed by Glenn Jacobs) and Mark Callaway (portrayed by Mark Calaway). See, it's the subtle differences in spelling that make all the difference to maintaining kayfabe

Love a dose of that hot JiD

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Given that Edge and Christian are supposedly brothers, did we ever get their last name?

Same question for The Undertaker and Kane. Although it could be Kane Bearer, but I don't think Paul married their mum.

Harlem heat is easy, as their last name is clearly T, after Booker won the rights to that name off of Ahmed Johnston.

Christian Cage and Edge Cage

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Edge The Man With The Blood Of Gangrel In His Veins

Christian The Other Man With The Blood Of Gangrel In His Veins

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Christian and Sexton "Edge" Hardcastle

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

I Before E posted:

Christian Cage and Edge Cage

edge cage was his maiden name hes edge phoenix now

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

No. Gangrel disowned them and they are Caitiff now.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Speaking of Edge & Christian, when did they drop the Brood gimmick and become wacky heels? Was it gradual? I think this change occurred during a brief time that I stopped watching.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I think they started on “for the benefit of those with flash photography” after WM2000 and got increasingly goofier as time went on until they were kazooing other wrestler’s themes, forming Team ECK, dressing up as Los Conquistadors, etc.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I remember it being a gradual thing but the beginning was almost certainly when the Hardyz became the New Brood and they became "Edge and Christian." And the "TIT" tournament. After that I think is when they started to get silly.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Twin Cinema posted:

Speaking of Edge & Christian, when did they drop the Brood gimmick and become wacky heels? Was it gradual? I think this change occurred during a brief time that I stopped watching.

They were almost completely mute then one day they did colour commentary and they burst from their chrysalis fully formed.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

oh but seriously I posted:

They were almost completely mute then one day they did colour commentary and they burst from their chrysalis fully formed.

“Excuse us, but we have to go do what we in the business refer to as a ‘run-in’”

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

god, i loved edge and christian. and the hardyz. i couldnt give one gently caress about the dudleyz, so far as i was concerned they were a pretext to get tables.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In hindsight to me the weirdest thing about the Dudleyz is that like no one remembers Big Dick or Sign Guy or that whole thing they were in ECW before Bubba turned heel. That's fine because they were a weird comedy act that probably aged really badly and the Dudleyz were a tremendous heel act. But its weird to me to think that most people don't know he was Buh Buh Ray.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I don't remember the precise moment (it was spring/summer 2000) but it was as the TLC era was starting, after the very brief "New Brood Hardyz" thing it defaulted to White Meat Babyface Teams E&C/Hardyz vs. the evil heel Dudley Boys, with the Dudleys carrying the lion's share of any promo work.

But then the Dudley Boys started getting cheered and turned face, so pretty much overnight Edge & Christian became arrogant heels who weren't really friends with the Hardys, and then they pretty quickly turned into Five Second Pose/Reeking of Awesomeness/Sodas Rule/coked out evil Bill and Teds.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Terri Runnels was briefly involved. They did the Terri Invitational Tournament. IT'S A TIT JOKE. YOU GET IT?! YOU GETTING IT? IT IS A JOKE ABOUT TITS.

jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I seem to remember E&C also being the two guys most often seen in backstage skits with Commissioner Mick Foley, which probably helped speed along their comedy heel personas even more.