Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Endorph posted:

Actually another thought that just occurred to me is that if the plot's going to be changing somewhat from here on out, it makes the idea of this being two or three parts more feasible. With how indepth Midgar was and how much content they got out of a relatively small part of the game, it'd need to be like 10 parts to cover the entirety of the original FF7. If the plot's somewhat different, you're more free to clip out parts of the original, abridge things, or have multiple beats occur at once.

Rocket Town is its own full disc
Palmer gets run over by another manifestation of destiny shaped like a truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Palmer gets run over by another manifestation of destiny shaped like a truck

palmer: i think ill go on a diet

*ghost eighteen wheeler appears and runs over him, pauses, reverses to run him over again*

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Calaveron posted:

In this version of events, Cid didn't cancel the rocket launch, successfully completing the space mission at the cost of Shera's life.

He presides over the thriving Shinra space program, a haunted, gin-soaked wreck of a man.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That'd own

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I wouldn't mind that honestly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What I'm starting to think is that we're going to get largely the same general plot shape and character beats, but we're going to get there in different ways and they're going to use that to try to show us these characters and this world in a different light. I don't think the story's going to go veering wildly off into something totally unrecognizable, but it's definitely going to take some unexpected swerves along the way. But in the end, Aerith will still be dead, and so will Zack, and Meteor will be stopped by the Lifestream, and Tifa will help Cloud pull his identity back together, and all of that, but the way we get to those moments might be very different.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Increased Shinra funding of aerospace fast-forwards airship technology by leaps and bounds. Shinra uses their air superiority to bomb Wutai into rubble, and the empire collapses into a handful of bandit kingdoms. In this reality, Yuffie's subquest involves beating the poo poo out of all the warlords (including her dad) to reunify Wutai.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The next part's going to really increase our gameplay options, oh man. We're going to go from four playable characters to nine (adding Red XIII, Cait Sith, Yuffie, Vincent, and Cid) and I can't wait to see how they all play. Plus we'll be able to actually choose party members, presumably.

It'd kick rear end if they let us change up who's in the party mid-combat like FFX and FFXII

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Kawalimus posted:

I don't want them to do the same thing again. I think using alt realities and crap is a bad storytelling device and makes me less invested in what I'm into.

no matter what reality, someone is going to be squashed into a very tiny cube when it comes time to summon Meteor

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

It’s gonna be wild when both the non-spoiler threads follow this thread’s trajectory almost point for point when the game officially releases.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm imagining the pages-long, increasingly vitriolic arguments already

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Eventually settling into “actually this is cool and good” after about 60 pages.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Eventually settling into “actually this is cool and good” after about 60 pages.

Nah it'll rage longer than that, the thread's going to be a lot more active once the game's out

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

It’s gonna be wild when both the non-spoiler threads follow this thread’s trajectory almost point for point when the game officially releases.

:getin:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Pinterest Mom posted:

I agree, but that means that FFVIIR is necessarily not its own thing. In order to reject FFVII, FFVIIR has to be about FFVII.

I don't think that's a bad thing - Into the Spider-Verse is a lot more interesting to me than Andrew Garfield Spider-Man or Tom Holland Spider-Man. But it is a choice they made.

Yes, and it's basically the only choice you can make. Into the Spider-Verse uses shorthand to reference the Toby Spider-Man movies and other works because it's so obviously there that you can't pretend it isn't. So FFVIIR doesn't pretend that FFVII isn't there. It faces it head on and destroys it. NOW you can move forward and do your thing. Every work like this is about the original in some way, nobody just "Does whatever" and doesn't draw from it. You'll never be clear, you'll never be your own work, the only thing you have control over is how active or passive you let the influence be.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Harrow posted:

I sorta hope the time ghosts don't disappear from the narrative after part 1 because I feel like that's going to be kind of awkward, especially once the whole series is done and if someone were to play it on its own without having played the original FF7.

If nothing else, the time ghosts and altering timelines provide a readymade excuse for any crazy DLC they want to do. Will also be a shame if we don’t get some sort of time ghost optional superboss at some point, like a new Weapon boss or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Could be fun to have some crossover optional superboss fights against protagonists from other FF games, sorta like how you can fight the Demi-Fiend in Digital Devil Saga.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

If nothing else, the time ghosts and altering timelines provide a readymade excuse for any crazy DLC they want to do. Will also be a shame if we don’t get some sort of time ghost optional superboss at some point, like a new Weapon boss or something.

I mean, I'd 100% bet on Emerald and Ruby coming back

Harrow posted:

The next part's going to really increase our gameplay options, oh man. We're going to go from four playable characters to nine (adding Red XIII, Cait Sith, Yuffie, Vincent, and Cid) and I can't wait to see how they all play. Plus we'll be able to actually choose party members, presumably.

I'm not confident we'll get to Cid before the end of part 2

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Aerith just comes back as a Weapon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Aerith just comes back as a Weapon.

The Planet uses her as the core of a Weapon and we have to kill her again so her spirit can go back into the Lifestream, and she's the final boss of one of the parts

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Gonna be real hosed up when the "change of fate" winds up being that Cloud just beats Aeris to death at the temple

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Don't worry though, Cait Sith Mk. II will still show up in the middle of it so you know the fan favorite character didn't really die.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
My absolute favorite spoiler that I've seen, bar none and by a long shot, is that Cait Sith gets a small scene after the plate falls where he just falls to his knees in emotional pain, and that is apparently the only time he shows up in the game, or at least the main story. From how it was described it has the exact same energy as when he shows up in the middle of Cloud beating Aeris, where it's like "really, you chose THIS time to introduce him?"

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Can’t Sith II assumes Aerith’s place as the planet’s savior, including getting impaled. Then Cait Sith III waddles into the scene before sephiroth even leaves.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I love the implication that Reeves has a back-up Cait Sith following the party just out of sight at all times, just in case.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Or it’s Future Reeve sending Cait Siths back to the points where they were destroyed.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

The part of Dirge of Cerberus where Reeve made a robot copy of himself with his robot cat avatar inside that he was controlling remotely was something special.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The version of the J-E-N-O-V-A theme on the OST is :krad:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So I'm trying to piece together from the footage I've seen, is the time/fate business and preserving the events of the original only specified by the enemy descriptions of the fate monsters in the endgame?

Aeris talks about the ghostly crossroads of destiny in terms of breaking free of fate to an uncertain future, and Sephiroth at the edge of creation talks about breaking free of destiny, and then at the end, they literally flash text up promising an unknown journey. (OH and Red literally sees the ending of the original and says "this is what happens if we don't fight fate rn")

But it seems like they play it very vague (by SE standards) on expositing that the timeghosts are protecting the original timeline. Am I missing any key scenes or do they actually expect people to...infer things?!

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 8, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VagueRant posted:

So I'm trying to piece together from the footage I've seen, is the time/fate business and preserving the events of the original only specified by the enemy descriptions of the fate monsters in the endgame?

There are parts where events are about to happen that would wildly change the story and the time ghosts intervene to make sure things go the way they're "supposed" to.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Sapphire Weapon boss fight would be cool, it got chumped in the original

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Ok, I just watched some segments of the game, including the sector 7 plate fall, the shinra building and the ending. There are parts that are really really REALLY good like the whole redesign of the sector 7 plate fall part. They incorporate the "Whispers" in a really cool and creepy way during that segment.

But I really really really HATE the ending.

God all that you had to do was add a Sephiroth/Jenova fight at the end of the bridge, so as to build up his threat. That was all.

Instead we get an over the top anime fight that makes animes look realistic. You fight a big giant blob of DOOOOM and DEAAATH in the middle of a time travelling entropy purple vortex of chaos with buildings going swish swooosh all over the place while the big giant blob tears the fabric of reality and opens literal black holes. And then you get Advent Children fight but that's not enough!!!! It's the Advent Children fight in SPAAAAAACE. Just an hour ago you were struggling to fight a bunch of robots and helicopters and bishonen pistol-fu businessman, and now your party is dealing with all this bullshit. And if the story continues following the original the next boss fight you'll get into is a big snake and how is that supposed to be intimidating at all when you just broke the escalating villain progression curve over it's back.

Oh and also Biggs is alive, and also Zack? maybe, because there's no longer tragedy or consequences in this game.

:cripes::cripes::cripes: They almost had it but in the last hour they did every single thing I was afraid they'd do to the point that it feels like someone hijacked the game production during the final stages.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 8, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

Oh and also Biggs is alive, and also Zack? maybe, because there's no longer tragedy or consequences in this game.

I wouldn't say there's no longer any tragedy or consequences. Remember we're still in part 1. Wedge and Jessie might well be dead. Thousands still died when the plate fell. And for all we know we're being set up for an even bigger fall as all this defying destiny makes things much, much worse than it otherwise would've been. Maybe Zack isn't alive and Jenova's using his corpse as a puppet. Maybe he is and his survival causes conflict that otherwise wouldn't be there and leads to more tragedy down the line.

Basically I think it's too early to declare it all wish-fulfillment fanfiction, and though I admit I'm skeptical they'll execute all of this well in the long run, I'm not yet ready to write it all off.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Harrow posted:

I wouldn't say there's no longer any tragedy or consequences. Remember we're still in part 1. Wedge and Jessie might well be dead. Thousands still died when the plate fell. And for all we know we're being set up for an even bigger fall as all this defying destiny makes things much, much worse than it otherwise would've been. Maybe Zack isn't alive and Jenova's using his corpse as a puppet. Maybe he is and his survival causes conflict that otherwise wouldn't be there and leads to more tragedy down the line.

Basically I think it's too early to declare it all wish-fulfillment fanfiction, and though I admit I'm skeptical they'll execute all of this well in the long run, I'm not yet ready to write it all off.

Didn't the (EVA spoilers): Rebuild of Evangelion basically do the exact same thing? Shinji mans up, averts one tragedy, but causes an even bigger one?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The Bee posted:

Didn't the (EVA spoilers): Rebuild of Evangelion basically do the exact same thing? Shinji mans up, averts one tragedy, but causes an even bigger one?

Maybe? He causes a huge amount of people to die... but like compared to what happens in the original that he stops it might be an improvement? Now in universe no one knows that so he's just the guy that got 99% of humanity killed.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Why can't Nomura just stay in his Kingdom Hearts box and not ruin other stuff?
Literally everything that was subtle and that made the original game the classic it is is gone. The scene in the original where Jenova is missing and a trail of blood leads to the president's corpse is so so well done in the original, and so loving dumb in the remake with a trail of "shadow power" or whatever leadinng to... the president hanging off the ledge.

The stuff that was remimagined from the old game was so good but the disjoint when you see one of the new fanfic OC donut steel monsters is so jarring it's ridiculous.

The visuals, aside from the 640x480 resolution skyboxes, and the music/audio is amazing, but gently caress I am so disappointed in everything else. And I'm not even talking about the "alternative new story" or whatever, that could be an interesting approach to remaking the game. It's just extremely poorly made and told and thrown in your face like a literal book.

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 9, 2020

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Foxhound posted:

Why can't Nomura just stay in his Kingdom Hearts box and not ruin other stuff?

Yeah my thoughts exactly. While in Kingdom Hearts it's fun to see what crazy bullshit he'll pull out of his rear end, seeing him doing the same crap in other games has become annoying.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm sorry final fantasy vii is ruined now

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Same. Oh well it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound