Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

What's the order to read them in again?

Last Wish collection, Sword of Destiny collection, novels in release order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

just to write it all out, that comes to:
-the last wish
-sword of destiny
-blood of elves
-time of contempt
-baptism of fire
-tower of swallows
-lady of the lake

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

What's the order to read them in again?

last wish (short stories)
sword of destiny (short stories)
blood of elves
time of contempt
baptism of fire
tower of swallow
lady of the lake
season of storms (optional prequel but youre definitely going to want to read it after lady of the lake)

the five middle novels are The Story but the short story collections have a ton of great backstory and are just as important imo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah worth noting if you're on board with the tv series is a couple of the episodes are short story adaptations so don't skip over them

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Just got to Whoreson Junior's hide out

:dogbutton:

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Just got to Whoreson Junior's hide out

:dogbutton:

It seems to me there was some cut content that built up Junior as a villain more. It's, uh, not subtle or really well done as is.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
the dialogue where geralt's like "but you threatened ciri - so I can't forgive you" as you're surrounded by dead women is uhhhh off. Feel like those bodies were thrown in later in development.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yup my exact thoughts

Definitely the most disturbing thing I have seen in a game shock wise

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Yup my exact thoughts

Definitely the most disturbing thing I have seen in a game shock wise

Yeah I kind of forgot about that part of the game on my replay and uhhh not exactly the content I crave, that one. Same for the priest torturing the prostitute in the serial killer questline (i'm honestly not sure why the game even gives you the "leave him to go back to his business" option; maybe if you take it geralt punches him or something, I'll never know).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
hey how many mages can i help in novigrad? i stumbled into one but it was completely unmarked and i'd like to help them all if i can

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I'll give the books a try, thanks for posting the read order.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

central dogma posted:

I'll give the books a try, thanks for posting the read order.

IMO they start pretty good, get much better with every book, and the last one is a straight up masterpiece

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Same for the priest torturing the prostitute in the serial killer questline (i'm honestly not sure why the game even gives you the "leave him to go back to his business" option; maybe if you take it geralt punches him or something, I'll never know).

I am glad that there is at least the option to wait, let him explain himself, get all the necessary information out of him and then kill him. None of that Sophie's choice bullshit of "chose between letting the priest go, or catching the real killer, no you can't do both, don't ask why!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My favourite thing in this game is burning witch hunters to death.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

scary ghost dog posted:

last wish (short stories)
sword of destiny (short stories)
blood of elves
time of contempt
baptism of fire
tower of swallow
lady of the lake
season of storms (optional prequel but youre definitely going to want to read it after lady of the lake)

the five middle novels are The Story but the short story collections have a ton of great backstory and are just as important imo

Any recommendations for reading these? I checked Amazon and they have a box set for ~$190 CAD, which is more than I wanted to spend, and the reviews all say it's shipping without the box and in poor condition.

I have a Kindle but I don't like looking at screens since I work on a computer all day, and being quarantined means I'm already spending most of my day looking at screens.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I'd also be interested in those recommendations, especially if there's a good audiobook version.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'd also be interested in those recommendations, especially if there's a good audiobook version.

The audiobooks are quite good but there are two notable things:

- Geralt sounds like Sean Bean instead of grumpy batman dad
- the narrator pronounces Dandelion as Dan-dilly-un because of a typo in the translation

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Quote-Unquote posted:

The audiobooks are quite good but there are two notable things:
* Not Witchy Enough
- Perhaps TOO Witchy

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Is the entire list of books including short stories available in audiobook format?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Slowpoke! posted:

Any recommendations for reading these? I checked Amazon and they have a box set for ~$190 CAD, which is more than I wanted to spend, and the reviews all say it's shipping without the box and in poor condition.

I have a Kindle but I don't like looking at screens since I work on a computer all day, and being quarantined means I'm already spending most of my day looking at screens.

I think you can get the box set from Indigo.ca for like $40-50 CAD.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I believe so. I've listened to the first ... four? on audible. I dig the narrator. The only issue is the previously mentioned Dan-dilly-on and maybe one or two other minor pronunciation quibbles that I can't even recall now. All the titles are available though, I think.

The first two books that are the short story compilations are my favorites because I feel like they give a good taste of the world.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Slowpoke! posted:

i read them all on ebooks, which were great. i hate listening to audiobooks so i cant recommend those, though the series does have a lot of weird names that might be easier to remember if you hear them pronounced aloud. if your eyes are exhausted from looking at screens try setting the kindle to display white text on a black background in a sans serif font

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

I reinstalled this to do NG+ and it seems I've lost all my saves :( Anyone have a PC save file that has the main game beaten who can lend me a hand? I bought this on Steam if it makes a difference (not sure why my saves aren't in Steam cloud but they aren't).

edit: found one on NexusMods (duh)

Mr Gentleman fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 10, 2020

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I started again with the aim of going right through all the DLC - is there a mod that remixes the music to make it kind of the same but a little more upbeat?

I already experienced the game with the sad chello/violin/whatever it is that re-enforces the peasent misery simulator vibe the game already has and I know I can just nuke the in-game music and play my own horrible lovely music if I want to. But if I want a more integrated thing, what's the best Witcher 3 music replacement mod out there?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Oh dear me posted:

I'd welcome any move away from levelling up in RPGs in favour of some other way of discovering or selecting skills, but think crafting and looting should be left in for people who like them. It's not as if they're compulsory, and with eg a better UI they could be cool.

Fighting on the other hand is compulsory, and should be much less so. Have the 'Story mode' and hard difficulty options actually mean what they say.

I like the way the Arkham games handled it where you unlock more combos and finishers along with new gear.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
New finishers and combos would be nice. It's a little too grounded in slash slash bigger slash as it is.

Like some of the swordwork for whirl is pretty cool and I wish it had made it into the regular fighting.

You don't want it to get too God of War on you but something like Geralt planting his sword on a mook's foot and then kicking them over would be sweet. Or even a behind-the-back block of some kind.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If anyone's looking for a game to hold them through the quarantine, I just started Assassin's Creed Odyssey and it borrows *liberally* from Witcher 3. Worth picking up if you enjoyed W3.

I seriously find myself reaching for Witcher Vision the quest structure is so similar.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Cactus posted:

I started again with the aim of going right through all the DLC - is there a mod that remixes the music to make it kind of the same but a little more upbeat?

I already experienced the game with the sad chello/violin/whatever it is that re-enforces the peasent misery simulator vibe the game already has and I know I can just nuke the in-game music and play my own horrible lovely music if I want to. But if I want a more integrated thing, what's the best Witcher 3 music replacement mod out there?

Try this one out and tell us if it's good or not.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

itry posted:

I have been in my latest run. It's generally more upbeat than the base soundtrack. It usually plays the default music first, then smoothly blends into the mod music. Sometimes it is inappropriately light (which owns in a repeat playthrough).

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

itry posted:

I will give it a try and report back.

"Inappropriately light" sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 12, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I did see a mod that made it so that ambient bards would sing “toss a coin to your witcher” if that’s the tone you’re looking for

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Arglebargle III posted:

If anyone's looking for a game to hold them through the quarantine, I just started Assassin's Creed Odyssey and it borrows *liberally* from Witcher 3. Worth picking up if you enjoyed W3.

I seriously find myself reaching for Witcher Vision the quest structure is so similar.

I'll reiterate this. It's still very Ubisoft in ways, it's still an AC game, but it's a wild departure from the traditional AC structure. There are some annoying things, and Ubi took some of the wrong lessons from W3, but it's still very solid (and loving huge, I'll add).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'll reiterate this. It's still very Ubisoft in ways, it's still an AC game, but it's a wild departure from the traditional AC structure. There are some annoying things, and Ubi took some of the wrong lessons from W3, but it's still very solid (and loving huge, I'll add).

In one sense it's huge, in another it's exactly the size of the first island.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Personally I enjoyed AC2 a lot and have sporadically enjoyed games in the series since then. The one in the American Revolution and Victorian times was pretty bad. The pirate one was pretty good but my god the ocean stuff was some of the most unrealistic botes you could ever see. The one in Rebolutionary Grance was absolutely gorgeous but also awful. Except for the murder mysteries they were pretty cool. I couldn't even get through the tutorial of the ancient egypt one it was super boring. But on the other hand you get to visit Venice and hug Leonardo Da Vinci.

In summary, Assassin's Creed is a land of contrasts.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Forcing a character who has been allowed to be played as a lesbian for 140 hours to choose between falling in love with a man and having a baby or having a baby because Ubisoft love eugenics really soured me on the game, but it was really fun until that point.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

True they should have removed the female PC.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Cactus posted:

I think I might've invented this phrase?? Or was it used by an early review or something. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720352&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=110#post445637257

because I'm bored stuck in quarantine and feeling nostalgic after nearly 5 years of this game being out, I've been going through this thread from the beginning

and starting my fourth playthrough heh

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Alchenar posted:

In one sense it's huge, in another it's exactly the size of the first island.

You mean in the sense that every area is the same? That's usually the vibe you get in AC games.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Fritz the Horse posted:

I think I might've invented this phrase?? Or was it used by an early review or something. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720352&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=110#post445637257

because I'm bored stuck in quarantine and feeling nostalgic after nearly 5 years of this game being out, I've been going through this thread from the beginning

I think I heard them say it on the Crate & Crowbar podcast. I could be wrong but that's what my patchy memory is telling me.

E. installing that music mod now, also putting auto apply oils and better trophies. Any others I could use for a 2nd playthrough? I don't want to change the game significantly but any QoL mods that speed things up or get rid of annoyances, or change superficial graphics/sound/UI stuff I'll consider.

Also I haven't yet done the DLCs, which is why I'm playing through it so I'd rather not change anything about those, but the main game is fair game.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Fritz the Horse posted:

you (or someone from here) invented the phrase and I used it in an interview where it wound up being the headline

thanks for the phrase :)