Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Dreylad posted:

My problem is that while I think I know how to paint the map, I'm not sure if I'm doing it well or how to use the various systems in place to accomplish it. Been playing as Pontus and in my two starts the game says my leader has a spouse, but going to her character sheet, she's married to someone else which is hilarious but also a bug I think?

Your leader's wife sleeping with another man doesn't leave you much choice...

:guillotine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Since I hadn't played in a while (1.2 I think) I started a new game as Rome to ease myself in the new patch.

Wow that's ... not as easy as I remember. Etruria can now have allies, you barely have any money to throw around, and your subjects will be happy for the first war only, going immediately disloyal after that (I guess due to AE?) and refusing to even move from their own territories, the little shits. Also the senate is as fickle as ever and never wants you to actually go to war for some reason.

I think I can work with that, but it feels much less of a roflstomp than previously, and it's supposed to be the easiest nation! I don't want to know how the "hard" nations feel :v:

I do like the new loyalty system better, though, even if I haven't understood it completely yet...

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

If you go to the government screen and do the action that gives the war party more seats it's easier to go to war

New loyalty system as far as I can tell is exactly the same as the old loyalty system except now all changes are instant modifiers instead of ticking modifiers

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Wafflecopper posted:

If you go to the government screen and do the action that gives the war party more seats it's easier to go to war

New loyalty system as far as I can tell is exactly the same as the old loyalty system except now all changes are instant modifiers instead of ticking modifiers

Havent played in a while but why the hell did they do that? ticking modifiers were better imho.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
The point is ticking modifiers led every character to total hate of the government or to undying loyalty.

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017
Well, with the current system it seems like everyone's either disloyal or one bad event away from being disloyal. In most of my games I need to make liberal use of bribes to keep generals and governors in line.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Weebus posted:

Well, with the current system it seems like everyone's either disloyal or one bad event away from being disloyal. In most of my games I need to make liberal use of bribes to keep generals and governors in line.

Historically accurate, without a doubt. I also like to put very old people as generals/important positions because the young ones are inevitably spiraling into disloyalty while racking up victories and money while the old ones will die quickly enough for this not to be a problem, which I think is also historically accurate.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Using laws and ideas to increase loyalty is an extremely good idea now. I'm using free hands a lot more than before too.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I've stared at this game for a day now and I think I've figured it out some. Any character ruler with Persuade is top tier because using political power instead of money to get people to be loyal to you makes the game a lot easier, at least while he's alive.

Playing as Pontus I've kinda hit a point where I'm stuck -- Phrygia just snowballed and is gigantic and completely surrounds me, leaving me with a decent amount of territory but I have to hope for them to collapse or something.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I do wish their was an option to keep people in line via fear, right now I don't find it that beneficial to flog people for stealing since it has little bearing on whether anyone else steals again.

Of course CK2 also isn't that good at modeling this either so whatever.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
oh cool I see why my Pontus playthrough went sideways: the Mithridates event never fired for me the first time round and I had to reform to a settled kingdom the old fashioned way. I played like 150 years and eventually got crushed by a snowballing Phrygia, turns out there was a pretty important event that never fired!

edit: ah there's some kind of bug with old setup versions of the game where it sets up a new game with randomly selected rulers rather than the historical ones. Had to delete my Imperator folder in Documents to fix it. That made things a lot better.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 7, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

AnEdgelord posted:

I do wish their was an option to keep people in line via fear, right now I don't find it that beneficial to flog people for stealing since it has little bearing on whether anyone else steals again.

Of course CK2 also isn't that good at modeling this either so whatever.

I don't know, has it ever really worked historically? You hear about kings like that in legends and that is good enough reason to include them. But first you usually hear it about Biblical times or medieval fairy-tales, not about antiquity. And second I wonder if it's a myth created right after the ruler is replaced. In Roman and Greek world you don't have long-lasting reigns of terror, people like Sulla usually murdered all the political opponents and went back to business probably appeasing to remaining politicians in a more traditional way.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ilitarist posted:

I don't know, has it ever really worked historically? You hear about kings like that in legends and that is good enough reason to include them. But first you usually hear it about Biblical times or medieval fairy-tales, not about antiquity. And second I wonder if it's a myth created right after the ruler is replaced. In Roman and Greek world you don't have long-lasting reigns of terror, people like Sulla usually murdered all the political opponents and went back to business probably appeasing to remaining politicians in a more traditional way.

There’s tiberius and caligula (among many other Roman emperors) and they weren’t that far out of this game’s timeframe.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I think that result of Caligula's behaviour is quite likely in I:R systems. And I don't know about Tiberius relying on fear.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

ilitarist posted:

I think that result of Caligula's behaviour is quite likely in I:R systems. And I don't know about Tiberius relying on fear.

Whether it was Tiberius ruling through fear or Sejanus, someone definitely was.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

This change to loyalty sucks. It's a pendulum swing from one design with bad aspects to another. Really feels like the optimal system — least unfun — would have a mix of instant modifiers and ticking modifiers. At least, without a complete overhaul.

The icing on the cake is that increased wages don't increase loyalty anymore (how could they since every modifier must be discrete and instantaneous now!).... they decrease your corruption by a tick per month. lol.

I want to like this game so much :(

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

also lol that kush (accidentally) can't form Egypt anymore, a "totally unforseen side-effect" of giving the Kushites their own, new culture group

I hope the patch that fixes that doesn't break saves!!

:shepface:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://youtu.be/4q81770N2W0

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

imo a hygeine system would be the better solution to this problem rather than having a random% chance of fire breaking out in a city, just because it would then be more of a puzzle to solve rather than a sudden, unpredictable negative event happening. Set a population number for a 'big' city (X), and then as the number of pops approaches X the pop reproduction rate goes down, and when it passes X pops start dying of disease in the city and immigration is required to maintain or grow the population further past X. X can be increased by buildings that increase hygiene (sewers, baths), technology, unique national traditions, etc.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Red Bones posted:

imo a hygeine system would be the better solution to this problem rather than having a random% chance of fire breaking out in a city, just because it would then be more of a puzzle to solve rather than a sudden, unpredictable negative event happening. Set a population number for a 'big' city (X), and then as the number of pops approaches X the pop reproduction rate goes down, and when it passes X pops start dying of disease in the city and immigration is required to maintain or grow the population further past X. X can be increased by buildings that increase hygiene (sewers, baths), technology, unique national traditions, etc.

This sounds like a better idea to me as well since a fire system as described in the video sounds like it would end up being in the same position as Crime in Stellaris. Either its incredibly annoying or completely trivial.

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 7, 2020

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

aren't mega cities like that just real vulnerable to getting raided? like people stealing a % of your million pops or whatever?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

juche avocado posted:

This change to loyalty sucks. It's a pendulum swing from one design with bad aspects to another. Really feels like the optimal system — least unfun — would have a mix of instant modifiers and ticking modifiers. At least, without a complete overhaul.

The icing on the cake is that increased wages don't increase loyalty anymore (how could they since every modifier must be discrete and instantaneous now!).... they decrease your corruption by a tick per month. lol.

I want to like this game so much :(

Yeah something like how estate loyalty or army tradition in EU4 work would be best imo, where it has a natural "resting point" depending on whatever modifiers apply and ticks towards that. Solves both the trend towards total loyalty/disloyalty and the instant flip-flopping of the new system.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Had a strange bug?

One of my armies suddenly turned into someone else's army? Like they have my general and my army now.

It's the revolt army of some rando in Italy (i'm Syracuse). The army now says it's the "Tarentine Revolt".

What.

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Had a strange bug?

One of my armies suddenly turned into someone else's army? Like they have my general and my army now.

It's the revolt army of some rando in Italy (i'm Syracuse). The army now says it's the "Tarentine Revolt".

What.

Disloyal generals can defect with their army.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Had a strange bug?

What.

lmao

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Had a strange bug?

What.

- Roman Senate, circa January 49 BCE

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Weebus posted:

Disloyal generals can defect with their army.

I save scummed and upon reload that particular general had uh:

70% loyalty.

Haven't unpaused yet, but in service of some higher purpose she (last time) defected to the Tarentum Revolt. Tarentum is uh, the ally of Epirus, who is my ally. No connection otherwise lol

edit: it happened again the gently caress. it coincides with a "Civic Advances Advance!" tech unlock at the start of the month??? This drat 70 y/o lady General just up and joins a rando revolt?? woops game crashed gonna reload and fire her i guess.

edit2: If I switch out the General I guess she still sails away to Tarentum with all her loyal legions anyway?? The 18k stack turns into a 1k stack led by the new general, instead of an 18k stack of black flagged Tarentum rebels led by my own general.

Oh yeah this is while I'm at war with Carthage.

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 8, 2020

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

70% loyalty.

Haven't unpaused yet, but in service of some higher purpose she (last time) defected to the Tarentum Revolt. Tarentum is uh, the ally of Epirus, who is my ally. No connection otherwise lol

edit: it happened again the gently caress. it coincides with a "Civic Advances Advance!" tech unlock at the start of the month??? This drat 70 y/o lady General just up and joins a rando revolt?? woops game crashed gonna reload and fire her i guess.

edit2: If I switch out the General I guess she still sails away to Tarentum with all her loyal legions anyway?? The 18k stack turns into a 1k stack led by the new general, instead of an 18k stack of black flagged Tarentum rebels led by my own general.

If you can reproduce it from the save definitely submit a bug report to paradox with the save attached.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Can someone recommend a good learn-to-play on youtube?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I know why they got rid of the ability to demand money in peace deals but I wish you could ask for something besides territory. Maybe you make it so you can demand a certain number of slave pops as part of a peace deal?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

70% loyalty.

With the new instant modifier system for loyalty, do generals defect immediately the second their loyalty crosses a threshold? Like could this lady be going straight from 70% to whatever the threshold is and defecting all in a single tick?

Lol if so.

Check the log files, though, the ones in the Paradox folder in your user directory. They might have some sort of breakdown of what's happening.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Dreylad posted:

My problem is that while I think I know how to paint the map, I'm not sure if I'm doing it well or how to use the various systems in place to accomplish it. Been playing as Pontus and in my two starts the game says my leader has a spouse, but going to her character sheet, she's married to someone else which is hilarious but also a bug I think?
Yes, a known bug in 1.4.x. It doesn't seem limited to just your leader but every married character in the game.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

With the new instant modifier system for loyalty, do generals defect immediately the second their loyalty crosses a threshold?

Yes

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

With the new instant modifier system for loyalty, do generals defect immediately the second their loyalty crosses a threshold? Like could this lady be going straight from 70% to whatever the threshold is and defecting all in a single tick?

Lol if so.

Check the log files, though, the ones in the Paradox folder in your user directory. They might have some sort of breakdown of what's happening.

Ah i will check for these logs. It’s iron man though so dunno if that changes things.

The only thing I can think of is I *think* that army was originally a usurper army or something? Like it appeared under a different general and for a bit I couldn’t control it. But then that dude died and I put some lady in charge.

Weird thing is even deleting the army the lady still defected to a rando unrelated country with no connection.

Ended up deleting the army and let her just wander off into the wilds.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
One casualty of the new loyalty system is that I can't work towards recruiting marriageable people from foreign courts, instead having to keep an eye on them constantly and hoping their ruler sucks donkey dick so they won't be as loyal.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

It's so bizarre that you have to just actively steal people and their spouses and murder their spouse just to have marriagable folks in court. Why is there no local nobility you can ever hire?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Apparently they're just not spawning in right now.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I was having that problem even pre-patch. The only available spouses for my young new rulers would be a collection of elderly folk and it wasn't uncommon to have them go through spouses like Henry VIII, only they were all dying of old age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I feel like I keep asking and searching for answers on how to build an effective fleet in this game, sheesh. I suppose stacking the heaviest class is probably the way to go, even up to now?