Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Can I get some sauce recipe recommendations?

I've just been pulsing diced tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning, red wine vinegar and honey in a vitamix then squeezing the excess water out with a french press.

It's fast and tastes ok but it's missing something. Sweetness maybe? I like that I don't have to cook it so that's the major plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
cooked sauces own, you should cook your sauce. do a double or triple batch of this and freeze the remainder in quantities for a single pizza:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza-sauce.html

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I am also a giant fan of cooked sauces, I really like kenji's detroit style recipe vs the NY one though.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/02/detroit-style-pizza-recipe.html

I like to also add a healthy squeeze of anchovy paste and tomato paste to the recipe in there, right after you put in the garlic/oregano/pepper flakes.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 19, 2020

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I just use the Marcella Hazen sauce when making pizza. It's quick, doesn't require too much work, and is delicious.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I do a sauce like the OP but imho crushed tomatoes are the way to go to save a dish and for ease. Brand to brand crushed have lots of differences so pickup a few to find your fav. If I'm not lazy I dump the can in a wire colander to drain some fluid but sometimes I don't even do that. Then I add some oregano, granulated garlic, MSG, pepper, red pepper flakes and/or cayenne.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
MSG is a pro tier addition, I'll have to try a dash of that.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I will stan Escalon’s 6-in-1 ground tomatoes until my death. They’re the only canned tomato that actually tastes great straight from the can, and they have fantastic texture. For pizza sauce, I do uncooked because the tomatoes are so good, and add fresh garlic, dried oregano and basil, salt and pepper flakes. That’s all those tomatoes need.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I will stan Escalon’s 6-in-1 ground tomatoes until my death. They’re the only canned tomato that actually tastes great straight from the can, and they have fantastic texture. For pizza sauce, I do uncooked because the tomatoes are so good, and add fresh garlic, dried oregano and basil, salt and pepper flakes. That’s all those tomatoes need.

I’ve been using jersey fresh crushed tomatoes for a few years now and have really liked them. However I do run them through a food mill first before I add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried oregano. They’ve got a great texture after I run them through the mill.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
I’ve settled on Di Napoli whole San Marzanos in the can, just a beautiful simple tomato that’s wildly tasty. I make a neo-Neapolitan so I just crush the tomatoes and top with some crushed oregano when I’m building the pie.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I have an eating disorder and all I can eat is cheese.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

cr0y posted:

I have an eating disorder and all I can eat is cheese.

Cheese is good for the body and soul.

and pickled red onions too

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

first real attempt in a long time. box grater broke so cheese was kind of iffy. thoughts for next time: roll it a little thinner, let dough ferment longer to get some better browning on the top crust.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I haven't made pizzas in a long time but yesterday we made two that turned out fabulously, the first was spam + pineapple and the second was bacon + green onion + cheddar

We were over the moon with how the crust turned out, it was airy and fluffy and super crisp on the bottom, and it was so EASY

gently caress, I might never order a pizza ever again

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I’m running low on yeast and the only option on our last grocery trip was Fleischmann’s Pizza Crust yeast. I’m really thrown off by it saying there’s no rise time. Really? I kinda follow King Arthur Flour’s sourdough pizza crust recipe so I’m used to 2-4 hours. I say “kinda” because I usually make it the night before and keep it in the fridge so I can start when I get home from work, but I don’t need to worry about the whole not being home thing right now...

Anyways, should I really just wait until shortly before dinner to make this dough?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

IDK what makes pizza yeast pizza yeast but if it's the cream of the crop not many dead instant yeast they're just having you use so much that there's no real rise time. Half a teaspoon vs 9 half a teaspoons. If you want your old schedule use less yeast.

/e- nvm, it explicitly is not for bread baking. Who knows what you got there.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Report: it was serviceable at best. Not completely awful but denser and chewier than it should be. Next time I’ll try letting it rise anyway and see if that makes it better. Gotta save my dwindling jar of ActiveDry for real bread.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Running low on yeast so I need your favorite pizza recipe that uses a sourdough starter instead of yeast-go!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

nwin posted:

Running low on yeast so I need your favorite pizza recipe that uses a sourdough starter instead of yeast-go!

This uses my discard:

100g starter
200g water
300g bread flour
6g salt

Done in a day. Scale up flour and increase rise time if desired. A bit higher final hydration then a neo

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I drove 20 minutes to a grocery store in the middle of nowhere, cMe back with 12 packets of yeast and a 5lb sack of ap flour.

Also pizza yeast has dough conditioners in it that let you work it easier.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

nwin posted:

holy crap just came in here to ask the same question

starter rules, instant yeast drools

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Really glad i bought the whole jar of instant yeast three weeks ago, and I been making two pies a week ever since i got the pizza steel.

For content, may I recommend people try makinf the Supino from Detroit's Supino's: tomato sauce, mozz, ricotta, kalamata olives, and roasted garlic. 🧚‍♀️

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The only good thing is I still have a case of Jersey fresh tomatoes I got last month, plus about 10 pounds of flour left. Cheese could be an issue-running low on polly-o

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

nwin posted:

The only good thing is I still have a case of Jersey fresh tomatoes I got last month, plus about 10 pounds of flour left. Cheese could be an issue-running low on polly-o

I couldn't find mozzarella anywhere last time I ventured to the store. I did discover Murray's ricotta is friggen' incredible, however.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Made a batch of dough on Saturday that I've got in my fridge still, in a steel bowl covered with saran wrap. I need to freeze it or use it. What could I do with it besides pizzas that you'd recommend? My wife and I are totally pizza'd out after this past week (heresey, I know).

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

VERTiG0 posted:

Made a batch of dough on Saturday that I've got in my fridge still, in a steel bowl covered with saran wrap. I need to freeze it or use it. What could I do with it besides pizzas that you'd recommend? My wife and I are totally pizza'd out after this past week (heresey, I know).

ive lightly oiled a plastic round container and tossed skins in there then into the freezer. works well.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
You could try focaccia but that’s sort of in the same family. Might be best just to freeze and save it for later. Just let it thaw for a 10-12 hours in fridge before you use it. Might need to take it out and let it thaw for 30-60 min at room temp too depending on your fridge temp.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

slave to my cravings posted:

You could try focaccia but that’s sort of in the same family. Might be best just to freeze and save it for later. Just let it thaw for a 10-12 hours in fridge before you use it. Might need to take it out and let it thaw for 30-60 min at room temp too depending on your fridge temp.

I let all my dough warm up to about 70F before I start working with it. Fridge temp is way too inelastic, I feel. Anyone have other opinions?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

VERTiG0 posted:

Freezing it is the safest bet and sticking to similar flatbreads is second-best (focaccia, naan). More exotic flatbread choices would include flammekeuke, Catalan coca, or Lahmucan. But if you really can't stomach another flatbread and don't want to make breadsticks out of it, then you can get into shenanigans to transform the dough.

If the dough has been through all its rests then you'll ultimately be making something a bit funky. If you're suffering cabin fever right now, then it's probably fine anyways.

If you have some spare gluten then you could probably up the hydration and do any variety of lean dough from the pizza dough. To go even further, I've had luck with a method of enriching dough where I knead the dough for a bit first before adding all the fat. The theory is that fat coats the proteins and makes it harder for the gluten to activate in enriched doughs. So you might be in a good place to do something like that right now as the dough is definitely read for fat. Going in the direction of a brioche dough would give you danishes or kolaches.

Type 00 flour is also used for pasta, so if you have a bunch of eggs, you could set them loose. However, the hydration if probably too high on the existing dough to make it into a pasta and you'll have to add more flour. You're then dealing with cutting it. I would consider this as inferior to keeping it as a bread.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I’ve had the opposite problem where if I let it get too warm it starts to tear, lol. There is probably a bit of a balance but I’m not sure where it is.

In FWSY, Forkish recommends for the levain pizza dough to refrigerate for 30 min after coming to RT for an hour.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

slave to my cravings posted:

I’ve had the opposite problem where if I let it get too warm it starts to tear, lol. There is probably a bit of a balance but I’m not sure where it is.

In FWSY, Forkish recommends for the levain pizza dough to refrigerate for 30 min after coming to RT for an hour.

After moving to a Gemignani New York dough recipe everything got way better w/r/t tearing. It's very strong dough.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Went for Sicilian. Threw some leftovers on top. Need to get a black steel pan.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I don't think I've ever made a grandma pie before, so I fixed that. I let it go a little long, but it still turned out delicious.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Pizzas looking on point folks.

On a tangent, do y’all have any recommendations for transporting pizzas outside of ordering actual cardboard pizza boxes? God willing when this quarantine is over in several months I wanted to make a couple of Kenji’s cast iron deep dish pizzas for my three person department at work since I promised like a year ago but I can’t think of a decent option. Last time I had to transport them I just grabbed some pizza boxes from the cafe attached to the bookstore I worked at but that option is happily gone now.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I had that same question and then I just bought some pizza boxes from a local restaurant supply shop.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
You might be able to buy a couple from a local pizza place. The one near me is completely full of pre-built pie boxes because all they do is delivery now.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
First try at a Detroit style pizza over the weekend. Probably could have cooked a tiny bit longer, but it was amazing and I will be doing it again soon. Used the King Arthur recipe. I used more cheese than it called for, but the world is ending, so why not?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

If I don't have crushed tomatoes is there any reason I can't use whole peeled tomatoes and crush them with a masher?

Does it matter?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

If I don't have crushed tomatoes is there any reason I can't use whole peeled tomatoes and crush them with a masher?

Does it matter?

Crush your tomatoes, see them simmering before you, and proceed with the creation of your pizza.

I'd hit them with a blender or immersion blender if you don't want chunks.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Does it matter?

If anything, whole peeled are preferred to crushed, as I've read the higher grade tomatoes are saved for whole while lower grade are diced/crushed. You can also drain them then blend, or even blend without draining as long as you are careful not to over-blend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Does it matter?

I always use whole peeled tomatoes, just crush them with my fingers.