Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Once a player is voted off, they get one goodbye and are not allowed to post anymore. I understand why this is important, but I have a concern: For a few people, this game I'm about to run will become their main source of social interaction... feels like just yanking that away from them could cause some issues. Is there a way of keeping dead people involved without them taking over the game because everyone trusts them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
There are various mechanics people use for that, from alternate means of involvement (all dead players have communal powers, resurrection mechanics, etc) to allowing social but non-game chat (hard to police this one), but the truth is that it’s a major downside of pretty much every social game that involves player death/removal as a component.

Try to find new things to do that branch off or segue from the game, rather than allow it to become a central thing, is my suggestion; people taking it too seriously/taking game-actions as reflections on their value or perception is a real danger, and god knows people in this forum (and I personally, frankly) have enough experience with that.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Jen X posted:

There are various mechanics people use for that, from alternate means of involvement (all dead players have communal powers, resurrection mechanics, etc) to allowing social but non-game chat (hard to police this one), but the truth is that it’s a major downside of pretty much every social game that involves player death/removal as a component.

Try to find new things to do that branch off or segue from the game, rather than allow it to become a central thing, is my suggestion; people taking it too seriously/taking game-actions as reflections on their value or perception is a real danger, and god knows people in this forum (and I personally, frankly) have enough experience with that.

Dead-Chat where all dead players can talk to each other is a very common one that lets players that want to stay invested, even after death.

Alternatively, I've seen some games where the dead can actually continue to talk after death, they just lose the ability to vote. In those games, the flips are usually non-existant or limited in some way thouh, to prevent people from becoming super trusted after death.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Fabulous, thanks. I have a section for non-game-related chat, already. I'll make another sub forum called "Club Dead" and emphasize how exclusive it is. I'll promote chat in it, and have some puzzles and games and cool stuff.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

Goons I am bored so empty quote this and I will assign you either a Danganronpa character or a JoJos character, or if nothing seems to fit I will pick something else weeby

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Wait Ernie showed up

Hi Ernie!!!

Would make sense that 2020 is a year for a mafia revival with all the other horrid poo poo going on

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

So help me I wanna say NEKOMARU NIDAI

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Chic Trombone posted:

Wait Ernie showed up

Hi Ernie!!!

Would make sense that 2020 is a year for a mafia revival with all the other horrid poo poo going on

HEY CHIC, it's been a minute!

Yeah, it's very much a "i'm locked in-doors what did i use to do in these scenarios before??"

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
we should have a game ready for some of the gbs newbies to land in after that wraps up and mine just filled up. anyone up for it?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Drunk Nerds posted:

Once a player is voted off, they get one goodbye and are not allowed to post anymore. I understand why this is important, but I have a concern: For a few people, this game I'm about to run will become their main source of social interaction... feels like just yanking that away from them could cause some issues. Is there a way of keeping dead people involved without them taking over the game because everyone trusts them?

To expand on the dead-chat thing, one thing I often do is make a chat page in my mod document and invite dead players in to see the setup and discuss/lol at the action, since Mafia games are often more entertaining from the omniscient perspective.

There are obvious risks to this, but it's never burned me. You would want to make sure you're not giving access to anyone who's super upset about getting killed or likely to fly into a rage because they didn't like the way you designed the setup. But generally speaking, people who ruin games do it without realizing that what they're doing is "that bad." Once someone has full mod information, they tend to take their responsibilities vis-a-vis game integrity very seriously IMO.

The only other caveat about it is that I don't always do this and don't tell people publicly whether I'll be doing this in any particular game until after they're dead. You don't want to encourage people to go looking at out-of-game stuff for clues, for one thing... but also, a fair number of my games have after-death mechanics, and naturally in those you can't be letting dead players know the setup. Ergo, telling people before the game that dead players will be invited into the mod doc for discussion would also tell them the game contains no such roles, while the absence of such an announcement would hint to them that such roles exist.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

One replacement requested for Cookfia, cooking is nice but not required.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

Somberbrero posted:

we should have a game ready for some of the gbs newbies to land in after that wraps up and mine just filled up. anyone up for it?

I plan on starting my harry potter game next week.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Is there a reason you're not running the chats and stuff through discord? Typically I'll make a deadchat with full view to the obs/mod doc for when people die.

If someone's so salty that they're going to poo poo up a game there are a thousand ways to do it so typically it's not really a risk to let people have a look and chat about it.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

The GBS game has been successful more or less. The biggest issue has been getting involvement from the coaches. Either the coaches don’t really interact or the newbies ignore them

Which was hilarious in the case of the player Lumpen got. Just him screaming into the void (his player already died that’s why I’m saying this) helplessly, yelling at clouds.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If they've already learned to ignore lumpen, they're ready

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

I have a game ready if Cookfia is done by then. I think it's going to be a sequel to my Magic School Bus game. Either that or a Disney Classic.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mr. Humalong posted:

The GBS game has been successful more or less. The biggest issue has been getting involvement from the coaches. Either the coaches don’t really interact or the newbies ignore them

Which was hilarious in the case of the player Lumpen got. Just him screaming into the void (his player already died that’s why I’m saying this) helplessly, yelling at clouds.

my newbie died N1 :( completely unlike me in every game I've ever played

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

my newbie died N1 :( completely unlike me in every game I've ever played

Turbo sandwolf in my next game. Got it.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
hello, I've been tinkering with some ideas and I have some questions

an open game setup where all townies have two or three 1-shot abilities, but in different combinations

basically, everyone is a slightly different jack-of-all-trade

has it been done, what are the obvious obstacles

obviously scum would need to be pretty beef but I've got plans for dealing out fakeclaims, at least

(this is the start of a bigger, dumber operation but I'm looking at the basic logistical issues first)

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

The trickiest part with open setups is ensuring that scum can hide if everyone claims everything.

If your setup allows that, then it should be fine.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I had a dream the other night about a time when I was like 11 and my mom wouldn't buy me some cool face-morphing software in the $5 shareware bin at Wal-Mart. In retrospect it probably was a good decision on her part.

For some weird reason I really want to make a mafia setup about it.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Amnistar posted:

The trickiest part with open setups is ensuring that scum can hide if everyone claims everything.

If your setup allows that, then it should be fine.

so, my plan is to condense each JOAT combination into a sort of class flavor

each "class" has its two or three abilities it gets as town, and a separate list it gets as scum, like an alter-ego

so every scum player has an entire fake town alibi, and any "class" be could town or scum for any game

what I'm hoping to build toward is big, sexy reusable setups that can be replayed and fine tuned without them getting too repetitive

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
imo you should stagger when certain powers can be used to mitigate the town action economy advantage

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

It's possible that there may be a mafia game behind this image.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Somberbrero posted:

imo you should stagger when certain powers can be used to mitigate the town action economy advantage

I'm kind of curious about examples. Is there a way to stagger powers outside of odd day / even day limits and maybe inventors?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
abilities having some kind of cost and players gradually gaining a sort of MP could work, but I don't know if the juice is worth that particular squeeze

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

abilities having some kind of cost and players gradually gaining a sort of MP could work, but I don't know if the juice is worth that particular squeeze

what a delightful turn of phrase

if you don't want to go that hard, you could just say that certain powers are only active after so many days.

The concern is a scenario where, say, most town players have a wealth of investigative night actions that they use to gather enough information to lock down the game and then keep it that way with protective actions.

I would just say something like 'these x players can only use these x powers after this x night'

Or I could be thinking too hard idk

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

you could tie powers or chunks of players to different colors or some other such flavor thing and activate different groups or powers per night

like "tonight is blue night"

and players a-d are activated on "blue" night

or certain powers are activated so as to not front-load investigations and then back-load protections

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Track the days of the week in-game and have powers that work on the weekend or only on Monday or whatever.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

you could tie powers or chunks of players to different colors or some other such flavor thing and activate different groups or powers per night

like "tonight is blue night"

and players a-d are activated on "blue" night

or certain powers are activated so as to not front-load investigations and then back-load protections

some genius already thought of this

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Lol giant bolded “don’t loving lurk” message followed by replacing two players and mod killing two more

Mafia never changes

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Mr. Humalong posted:

Lol giant bolded “don’t loving lurk” message followed by replacing two players and mod killing two more

Mafia never changes
I think it was the last game I ever ran.

Also the forums weirdly lost the last half of the game as it it ended in the middle, which it did not.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
powers unlocking on alternating nights is a thing I'm gonna have to think about, that actually opens a lot of weird doors with the other poo poo I'm doing

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
Tiger king mafia when

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Listen you can't rush perfection

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Tommu posted:

Tiger king mafia when

how many cult leaders can you put in a game

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
at least one person in Tiger King mafia should in fact be Tiger Mask

or King from Tekken, who is not a tiger but I believe a jaguar

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Lunatic Sledge posted:

at least one person in Tiger King mafia should in fact be Tiger Mask

or King from Tekken, who is not a tiger but I believe a jaguar

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Mr. Humalong posted:

imagine being brand new to mafia and you get paired with Lumpen

it's like sitting down to play your very first game of chess and you're suddenly chained to a far more opinionated Garry Kasparov, and also he keeps touching your pieces and telling you to forfiet on turn four

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Lmao