Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Slings are dangerous as gently caress, and would be awesome to have added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
They have slings in Viking Conquest too, so I imagine it wouldn't be a stretch to include in Bannerlord.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
slings wildly don't fit the game as you'd have rag covered peasants hurtling baseball sized rocks at 200mph at your troops from 500 feet away and that would be insanely poo poo to play against. Really we should be grateful that they're only throwing the rocks. A world where looters have developed the sling is not a world I want to live in

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Is there a trick to getting the relative to show up in Family Feud quest? This seems like one of the more buggier ones, it's been flaky for me multiple times. But maybe I'm missing something.

-I got the quest
-went and spoke to the kid
-kid is in my party
-go to the other town, speak to the guy
-thugs are there as normal, but the kid never spawns in with me and the other NPC never triggers the quest dialogue

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Looters having some kind of ranged weapon is pretty important as an equalizer otherwise it becomes even more trivial for a single person to wipe out a 20-looter stack. The ranged attack means you need to provide more targets and you can't just ride up and stab guys from 117 away vs their 80 (at least until you get some doom armor).

Rocks are pretty historically accurate, fit the ragged theme of looters, and also fit the bill of "damaging if you are unarmored, weak if you have good armor".

Herstory Begins Now posted:

slings wildly don't fit the game as you'd have rag covered peasants hurtling baseball sized rocks at 200mph at your troops from 500 feet away and that would be insanely poo poo to play against. Really we should be grateful that they're only throwing the rocks. A world where looters have developed the sling is not a world I want to live in

You know we're not talking about Rail-gun slings here, right? Slings cannot launch things 200MPH, especially in the hands of someone only partially trained/experienced in using them like looters would be.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
In Warband looters also had rocks, but critically only a few so you didn't have a firing squad of them open up on you and your troops when you entered range, just a few standing in the back hucking rocks while the rest got butchered.

Lockback posted:

Looters having some kind of ranged weapon is pretty important as an equalizer otherwise it becomes even more trivial for a single person to wipe out a 20-looter stack. The ranged attack means you need to provide more targets and you can't just ride up and stab guys from 117 away vs their 80 (at least until you get some doom armor).

I broadly agree that it's a good idea on a tactical level, and it teaches the player to beware of ranged weapons when you're riding around, but the implementation could be better. Maybe change up the animation so they have to reach down to "reload" so it looks less like they're pulling rocks out their rear end and more that they're picking up a stone.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
is there any kind of follow option? I joined up with Monchug as a mercenary band and I wanna follow him around

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Pyrus Malus posted:

is there any kind of follow option? I joined up with Monchug as a mercenary band and I wanna follow him around

If he's formed an army then you can join that army to follow it around but otherwise no.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Nosre posted:

Is there a trick to getting the relative to show up in Family Feud quest? This seems like one of the more buggier ones, it's been flaky for me multiple times. But maybe I'm missing something.

-I got the quest
-went and spoke to the kid
-kid is in my party
-go to the other town, speak to the guy
-thugs are there as normal, but the kid never spawns in with me and the other NPC never triggers the quest dialogue

I got it to work by leaving all my other Companions in a nearby city, so I only had the one quest Companion in party

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
I picked this up after playing way too many hours of pre-bannerlord M&B. It's scratching that itch again but I'm getting decimated in the combat. I've leveled a bit, got clan level 1 can can lead around 50 guys but two rocks to the chest still takes 90% of my health and my horse isn't much better.

Is there a way to drop the difficultly mid-game or do I have to start my save again?

And does anyone have suggestions for starting out the merc business? I've just signed up with an empire but I'm either at full capacity with recruits and crawl on the map to the point I can't find anyone to join, or I'm at 10 people and I can't single-handedly win a battle like the old days.

I think I'd like an "arcade" single player version with heroic battle abilities and cut or stripped down politics/smithing/trade etc.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sounds like you should re-roll as a steppe nomad warlord, frendo

More seriously, you want a horse for each man in your army in your inventory to get you moving faster on the map. As a merc, you wanna go where the action is and pick your fights. Press N on the map, select the faction you're a merc for, and then find out who they're at war with. Go to the areas near enemy major cities and be a nuisance. Another tactic is to camp inside a neutral city between warring factions and to pop out and intercept caravans or other targets of opportunity that come by.

Flavahbeast posted:

This was weird: the Vlandians retreated with over 2/3rds of their army remaining (They weren't doing great, but still)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL15-jZUekw

I had my guys pick up arrows instead of chasing them down because I thought they were regrouping with reinforcement troops and coming back :goleft:

How do you get your dudes to pick up arrows? Had no idea you could do that!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

If there's a spent arrow embedded in the ground nearby they'll go grab it automatically. As far as I can tell they won't refill from dropped quivers, though

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Destroyenator posted:

I picked this up after playing way too many hours of pre-bannerlord M&B. It's scratching that itch again but I'm getting decimated in the combat. I've leveled a bit, got clan level 1 can can lead around 50 guys but two rocks to the chest still takes 90% of my health and my horse isn't much better.

Is there a way to drop the difficultly mid-game or do I have to start my save again?

And does anyone have suggestions for starting out the merc business? I've just signed up with an empire but I'm either at full capacity with recruits and crawl on the map to the point I can't find anyone to join, or I'm at 10 people and I can't single-handedly win a battle like the old days.

I think I'd like an "arcade" single player version with heroic battle abilities and cut or stripped down politics/smithing/trade etc.

You can change the difficulty in the Campaign Options menu that shows up at the top of your esc menu on the main map.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I did a "X wants his daughter found" quest and didn't convince her to come home, so I had to murder her boyfriend. She said she'd hate me forever. I took her home to her father, he paid me, and then I noticed that I could talk to her. And when I did, I noticed I could hire her. So I did, for just a little more than her father paid for her return in the first place.

That's certainly one way to punish me for killing your boyfriend.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also think slings could have a large range from inexperienced to very experienced in terms of accuracy/rate of fire, and also would be interesting in that you couldn't use them on horseback but could use them with a shield, so they could be made into a high ammo option for infantry troops and skirmishers. Plus they totally fit the late roman period imo?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

gently caress Caravans between cities, how much do I have to pay for a Caravan that just goes out and buys food and brings it to my army?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

OwlFancier posted:

I also think slings could have a large range from inexperienced to very experienced in terms of accuracy/rate of fire, and also would be interesting in that you couldn't use them on horseback but could use them with a shield, so they could be made into a high ammo option for infantry troops and skirmishers. Plus they totally fit the late roman period imo?

pretty well into the medieval period, too, along with staff slings to throw incendiaries.

also, when you think about it, a trebuchet is the biggest sling of all?

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Lockback posted:

You know we're not talking about Rail-gun slings here, right? Slings cannot launch things 200MPH, especially in the hands of someone only partially trained/experienced in using them like looters would be.

the post you're quoting is a gross exaggeration but don't underestimate a half pound of lead going the same speed as a MLB fastball

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
slings are already in the game in MP tho?

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Gamerofthegame posted:

slings are already in the game in MP tho?

naw rock throwing is the sling placeholder rn

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

New patch

quote:

Crashes
Fixed a crash that happens mainly when exiting the game or leaving a scene.
A crash that occurred when making peace with lords in an army through barter has been fixed.
Fixed a crash that occurred when trying to execute a prisoner.
Solved some memory leak issues related to loading a game and entering a scene.
An infinite loading issue that occurred when the player was leading an army and attempted to defend a castle was resolved.
Fixed an infinite loading screen bug while starting a battle as an army.
Save & Load
Loaded games now start in a paused state.
Battles and Sieges
Fixed a menu bug that appeared when the defender side of a siege sallied out.
Clan and Party
Fixed a bug that allowed players to repeatedly create and destroy new parties after reaching each clan tier to take the starting troops of the new party into their own. Player created parties now start with just 1 hero.
In rare cases, a lord’s party was spawning at the centre of a settlement and was unable to move. This is now fixed.
Kingdoms and Diplomacy
Fixed a bug where ending your mercenary contract with a kingdom resulted in a loss of relationship with the lords of the kingdom.
Kingdoms at war with powerful enemies will now offer higher payments for mercenaries. In addition to this, the ruler's economical situation is important too while determining payment. With this change, mercenary factions will now generally prefer to take a contract from factions which have powerful enemies and rich rulers.
Mercenaries are less likely to join kingdoms immediately and will instead wait for a decent offer. With these additions, there is a bigger difference between payments offered by different kingdoms to mercenaries (changes between 30-300 denars per influence).
Players can now hire mercenary factions to their own kingdoms via dialogue (using the same formula as above).

Quests & Issues
Dialogue screen now returns to normal conversation after discussing the “Battle of Pendraic” with related nobles instead of closing.
Fixed a bug that showed some issue quests’ days remaining as a negative value.
Fixed a bug that caused some quests to fail immediately when activated.
Conversations & Encounters
Fixed a conversation bug that caused the conversation to get stuck after returning to the menu while the persuasion conversation is still active.
Fixed a bug that caused prisoners to smile. :smile:
Other
Made the splash screen intro when launching the game skippable.
Fixed the age of “Watchman” troops.
Fixed an exploit where hitting a shield in a town gave combat XP.
When we entered a scene, the clothing colours of our clan members are now the same as our clan colours.

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 8, 2020

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Great changes to mercenaries.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

marshmallow creep posted:

I did a "X wants his daughter found" quest and didn't convince her to come home, so I had to murder her boyfriend. She said she'd hate me forever. I took her home to her father, he paid me, and then I noticed that I could talk to her. And when I did, I noticed I could hire her. So I did, for just a little more than her father paid for her return in the first place.

Dang you recruited the comedy starter class from Dark Souls.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Flavahbeast posted:

New patch

Fixed an exploit where hitting a shield in a town gave combat XP.

i want to know what kind of sad fucker would level their weapon xp by hitting a shield in a town for hours instead of just console cheats

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Are these daily patches savegame compatible? I just started a new campaign last night and they already have a new patch my God.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah it seems to be fine, ive been playing with every patch

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

marshmallow creep posted:

Is that -209 xp?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

ughhhh posted:

Are these daily patches savegame compatible? I just started a new campaign last night and they already have a new patch my God.

they killed save games once for some people, but otherwise it's clean

it's EA tho so you should expect it to be killed at random

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This game looks super great except once battles get to any real size I have to throttle it down. It makes me want to buy a new computer.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Highly recommend the character import/export mod. It'll let you export your guy and then import him into a new game worst case scenario.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

ughhhh posted:

When they do eventually release a patch that is not compatible with old saves, they've been letting people choose the version of the game they want to play using steam betas, so that can mitigate problems with that. Or if you ever want to go back to janky v1.0 to play as a baby, you totally can.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
How is babby's kingdom formed?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
lmao I made a battanian guy who is on foot only. I cannot outrun looters, so as soon as I escape, they catch up to me and manhandle me.

Edit: Sumpter horse in the inventory, only thing I have other than my equipment.

My Speed: 3.3

Three Looters: 3.5

lol

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

How is babby's kingdom formed?

do dumb quest where you ask about some historical bullshit you get at the start of the game. Its only dumb because the people you need to talk to wander around and they're hard to find.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hav posted:

Is that -209 xp?

Yeah, if you kill a guy that a daughter has run off with, then drag her back, she becomes available to recruit but she is almost always - a ridiculous amount of xp.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

BULBASAUR posted:

Sounds like you should re-roll as a steppe nomad warlord, frendo

More seriously, you want a horse for each man in your army in your inventory to get you moving faster on the map. As a merc, you wanna go where the action is and pick your fights. Press N on the map, select the faction you're a merc for, and then find out who they're at war with. Go to the areas near enemy major cities and be a nuisance. Another tactic is to camp inside a neutral city between warring factions and to pop out and intercept caravans or other targets of opportunity that come by.
Yeah, Kerghit horse-achers used to be my go to. That faction is getting beaten back this play even before I got involved so I joined another lot. How much of an impact does your character race background have on the game after the initial stats/bonuses?

Sailor Dave posted:

You can change the difficulty in the Campaign Options menu that shows up at the top of your esc menu on the main map.
Thanks! I found the AI difficulty in the other Options menu but I somehow missed that one.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

lmao I made a battanian guy who is on foot only. I cannot outrun looters, so as soon as I escape, they catch up to me and manhandle me.

Edit: Sumpter horse in the inventory, only thing I have other than my equipment.

lol

Try a real horse instead of a pack horse.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

lol

You don't ride horses lower than tier 2 on the map.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Glenn Quebec posted:

lol

Sumpter horses, mules etc don't count as "horses" for the purpose of enhancing party speed on the map, they're pack animals. Try something in the next price tier up, like a midlands palfrey or saddle horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

it's dumb that all horses (including Sumpters) are called 'horse' at the top of the tooltip, but there's a 2nd 'horse' label down at the bottom which is the one that matters