Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

What did you do to SimonCat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

What did you do to SimonCat?

In the spirit of Easter, Simon cat is now Peter Cat.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Was our loving idiot President talk about pardoning Joe Exotic?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jarmak posted:

Yes because African American voters have never been important in democratic primaries before.

I love how libs only care about black voters when they're old and as conservative as you. The overwhelming majority of younger black voters who supported Bernie may as well not exist to you.

quote:

You don't win a primary with only a third of the voters.

...said Republican establishment figures throughout the 2016 GOP primary. Again, no one could have foreseen Obama stepping in and making Buttigieg and Klobuchar drop out right after SC.

e: weak hate av.:sad:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Jarmak posted:

Yes because African American voters have never been important in democratic primaries before.

You don't win a primary with only a third of the voters. If the three other candidates are all centrist and *surprise* their voters prefer a centrist candidate, of course they are going to coalesce as candidates drop out. Especially doesn't help that there's been a bunch of Bernie supporters like you being such toxic dickholes to anyone who dare prefer another candidate that Bernie couldn't even get the other progressive candidates voters when she dropped.

yeah, real poser why Elizabeth "actually never mind I'm sorry for being so divisive, Medicare for all sucks and SuperPacs are cool now" Warren decided not to endorse Bernie

probably people making fun of you on Twitter, it's the only thing that makes sense

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Don Jr said he had talked to his dad about it and joked that he was considering it.

Trump said his punishment was excessive.

But, there is no indication that he actually plans to pardon him.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Majorian posted:

It sure does, which is why it's appallingly stupid that Democratic leaders still insist that they have to cater to them. But God help you if you say the Dems need to reach out to independents.

Arent independents a tiny fraction of the voter base compared to disenfranchised young voters and minorities who have had their access to the political system sabotaged through decades of Republican gerrymandering and voting law fuckery?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Hey. Folks who support Sanders and want to push the "rigged" narrative.. can you answer me some questions?

A) Sanders was winning early with 30-40% of the vote in a split field. However, when it got to a one-on-one matchup with Biden, Sanders STILL only got 30-40%. Are you saying that all the other candidates (Buttigieg , Warren, Biden, Bloomberg, ad infinitum) waved some magic wand and hypnotized all their supporters into being Biden voters? Or did Sanders not look to improve his position by building bridges? (I mean, AOC even said that she had to reach out to Sanders to say "Hey, do you want me to support you out there?")

B) Under Sanders's support, the only way he could have won the nomination is if all the moderates stayed in the race and divvied up the 60-70% that wasn't going to vote for Sanders. Are you saying that they all should have wasted money and their campaigns time when it was realized that "yeah, none of us can beat Sanders solo, but there's enough of us that if we coalesce behind one candidate, we win?" And because Biden was the one with "momentum" at the time, it became pretty easy to determine who to coalesce behind?

C) Look, I get that the allure of Sanders is that he makes no deals, and won't bend to others, but if you're not in the majority in the party, how do you grow? Politics is not hitting someone with a hammer and saying "Are you ready to vote for me yet?" (wham) "How about now?" (wham) "or now?" (that's why I haven't joined in on the moderate supporters saying "HA HA. NOW vote for Biden or go to hell", it's kinda a low blow/kicking folks while they're down. I hope and pray that they do vote (even if Reluctantly) for the D-nominee in November, but right now trying to make that argument is the old saying "Beatings will continue until morale improves"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Majorian posted:

I love how libs only care about black voters when they're old and as conservative as you. The overwhelming majority of younger black voters who supported Bernie may as well not exist to you.

Biden won black voters over 30.

Black voters under 30 were a tiny fraction of the electorate.

Alabama had the most overall black voters and black voters under 30 were 3% of the electorate.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/03/us/elections/exit-polls-alabama-primary.html?action=click&module=ELEX_results&region=Sentence

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Majorian posted:

...said Republican establishment figures throughout the 2016 GOP primary. Again, no one could have foreseen Obama stepping in and making Buttigieg and Klobuchar drop out right after SC.

e: weak hate av.:sad:

That was because no one went to Cruz/Rubio et all soon enough to say "Look, this fucknugget is going to win, unless we get the not-crazy part of the party to coalesce behind one person (not to mention that they're all crazy to some degree, just not everybody says the quiet part loud like Trump does)

Again, did Obama "make" other candidates drop out? he's not the loving godfather here (as much as people would like to think so). Perhaps, just perhaps they looked at the situation and saw that dividing up the "moderate" voters 5-6 ways would hand someone less in tune with who they personally wanted to see win the nomination...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SirFozzie posted:

Hey. Folks who support Sanders and want to push the "rigged" narrative.. can you answer me some questions?

A) Sanders was winning early with 30-40% of the vote in a split field. However, when it got to a one-on-one matchup with Biden, Sanders STILL only got 30-40%. Are you saying that all the other candidates (Buttigieg , Warren, Biden, Bloomberg, ad infinitum) waved some magic wand and hypnotized all their supporters into being Biden voters? Or did Sanders not look to improve his position by building bridges? (I mean, AOC even said that she had to reach out to Sanders to say "Hey, do you want me to support you out there?")

B) Under Sanders's support, the only way he could have won the nomination is if all the moderates stayed in the race and divvied up the 60-70% that wasn't going to vote for Sanders. Are you saying that they all should have wasted money and their campaigns time when it was realized that "yeah, none of us can beat Sanders solo, but there's enough of us that if we coalesce behind one candidate, we win?" And because Biden was the one with "momentum" at the time, it became pretty easy to determine who to coalesce behind?

C) Look, I get that the allure of Sanders is that he makes no deals, and won't bend to others, but if you're not in the majority in the party, how do you grow? Politics is not hitting someone with a hammer and saying "Are you ready to vote for me yet?" (wham) "How about now?" (wham) "or now?" (that's why I haven't joined in on the moderate supporters saying "HA HA. NOW vote for Biden or go to hell", it's kinda a low blow/kicking folks while they're down. I hope and pray that they do vote (even if Reluctantly) for the D-nominee in November, but right now trying to make that argument is the old saying "Beatings will continue until morale improves"

A) It didn't take a magic wand. There was a concerted effort to get mostly-older Democratic voters who prioritized getting Trump out of office far above policy to coalesce around one candidate. No magic to it - just good ol' manufactured consent.

B) Hey, it happened in 2016 for the Republicans.

C) Bernie got a bipartisan bill through the Senate pulling the U.S.' support for the Saudi genocide in Yemen. Mike freaking Lee was a cosponsor. Bernie's good at bipartisan negotiations. His primary campaign was fueled by taking on the establishment, and had the Democratic leadership not stepped in and put their thumbs on the scale after SC, he probably would have won.

SirFozzie posted:

That was because no one went to Cruz/Rubio et all soon enough to say "Look, this fucknugget is going to win, unless we get the not-crazy part of the party to coalesce behind one person (not to mention that they're all crazy to some degree, just not everybody says the quiet part loud like Trump does)

Again, did Obama "make" other candidates drop out? he's not the loving godfather here (as much as people would like to think so). Perhaps, just perhaps they looked at the situation and saw that dividing up the "moderate" voters 5-6 ways would hand someone less in tune with who they personally wanted to see win the nomination...

Okay, so you're saying that Obama didn't make other candidates drop out...and then you're implying that he did?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Biden won black voters over 30.

Black voters under 30 were a tiny fraction of the electorate.

Alabama had the most overall black voters and black voters under 30 were 3% of the electorate.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/03/us/elections/exit-polls-alabama-primary.html?action=click&module=ELEX_results&region=Sentence

Gee, I wonder if voter suppression had anything to do with that, and with young voter turnout in general.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 9, 2020

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SirFozzie posted:

please decide whether you are arguing there was not a concerted effort by the party elders to shut down Bernie Sanders in favor of a senile segregationist rapist, or if their decision to do so was good actually. the two angles play poorly together.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Majorian posted:

Gee, I wonder if voter suppression had anything to do with that, and with young voter turnout in general.

You were just chastising someone for ignoring the black electorate that "overwhelmingly" supported Bernie.

Were you counting his 11% of black voters 30-44, the 9% of black voters 45-64, or the 5% of black voters over 65?

Seems kind of weird to chastise someone for ignoring black voters when they aren't convenient by focusing on 3% of the electorate and 5.8% of the total black voting population.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

SirFozzie posted:

This is what the democratic establishment does though? :confused:

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
You seem to think that "the party elders" do all the thinking for Kloubchar/Buttigieg etcetera).

They're not even top in the moderate category. So what makes them think that staying in will do them any good, and will it lead to a better outcome for what they believe? Or are you saying that they should've wasted their time (and their supporters time and money) to end up with a worse outcome (from their point of view)

Yelling "voter suppression" is not a magical panacea. Sanders appeals to 30-40% of the party. He doesn't appeal to 60-70% of the party. That's not voter suppression. That's basic math. And the math says that in both 2016 and 2020, voters preferred someone else.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

You were just chastising someone for ignoring the black electorate that "overwhelmingly" supported Bernie.

I actually called someone out for erasing the overwhelming majority of young black voters who supported Bernie. Your comeback seems to be, "Well, he didn't win all the young black people in Alabama!!!" which is a...peculiar comeback, to say the least.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

I would start couching those numbers with the phrase "of those in the party that voted"

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

If we are trying to do the whole technically correct song and dance

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Or, even more accurately, "of those in the party who voted and whose votes were counted..."

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

He'd probably agree to it on the condition that Joe let his son shoot some of his tigers from the safety of a helicopter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SirFozzie posted:

You seem to think that "the party elders" do all the thinking for Kloubchar/Buttigieg etcetera).

They're not even top in the moderate category. So what makes them think that staying in will do them any good, and will it lead to a better outcome for what they believe? Or are you saying that they should've wasted their time (and their supporters time and money) to end up with a worse outcome (from their point of view)

Yelling "voter suppression" is not a magical panacea. Sanders appeals to 30-40% of the party. He doesn't appeal to 60-70% of the party. That's not voter suppression. That's basic math. And the math says that in both 2016 and 2020, voters preferred someone else.
biden's already lost a lot of bernie voters just by mere virtue of his existence. people thought they might finally have a way out of the crippling financial debt they were under, it actually seemed like bernie might do it, and then it was taken away from them in literally a night. by a rapist. you can make any logical arguments you want, nobody even cares if they're true or not. if trump won based on emotion in 2016, not any real examination of facts, and if biden won mostly based on emotion in this primary, not any real examination of facts (peep all the people who support m4a but voted biden), than doesn't it follow that bernie voters will feel burned by biden just based on emotion, and not any real examination of facts?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Alright Lessail, I can agree to that. So why didn't Sanders increase his share of the votes once it was one on one?

(I do think electability was an issue, as well as the health scare he had around that time)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SirFozzie posted:

SirFozzie posted:

pick one. did the party elders demand their inferiors stand down or suffer the consequences, as you claim the republicans should have in 2016, or did the lesser candidates just simultaneously schedule flights to a Biden rally in Houston on a whim.

these two positions cannot be reconciled.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Thank you for title.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Endorph posted:

biden's already lost a lot of bernie voters just by mere virtue of his existence.

More than 85% of Democrats say that they are fine with either Bernie or Biden.

People who refuse to vote for either of them are around ~10% for each.

There's not a lot of Bernie or Biden hate among primary voters.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Endorph posted:

biden's already lost a lot of bernie voters just by mere virtue of his existence. people thought they might finally have a way out of the crippling financial debt they were under, it actually seemed like bernie might do it, and then it was taken away from them in literally a night. by a rapist. you can make any logical arguments you want, nobody even cares if they're true or not. if trump won based on emotion in 2016, not any real examination of facts, and if biden won mostly based on emotion in this primary, not any real examination of facts (peep all the people who support m4a but voted biden), than doesn't it follow that bernie voters will feel burned by biden just based on emotion, and not any real examination of facts?

Failing to convince a majority of a party's voters that he's the person for the job is not "being taken away from them in literally a night".

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

pick one. did the party elders demand their inferiors stand down or suffer the consequences, as you claim the republicans should have in 2016, or did the lesser candidates just simultaneously schedule flights to a Biden rally in Houston on a whim.

these two positions cannot be reconciled.

"Well. I was going to go for the "moderate" part of the vote, but now that's not a winning strategy, because I'm not the one in the lead, even amongst the moderates, so do I throw my support behind another moderate or the person I don't agree with"

Again, you're arguing that candidates should stay in the contest even though it's obvious that they cannot win. Rational actions here.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

SirFozzie posted:

Alright Lessail, I can agree to that. So why didn't Sanders increase his share of the votes once it was one on one?

(I do think electability was an issue, as well as the health scare he had around that time)

My argument would be that him being too nice and going on about how anyone could beat Trump or how these people are friends of his was not a winning move and was born out of a fear of the bernie bro lie.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SirFozzie posted:

"Well. I was going to go for the "moderate" part of the vote, but now that's not a winning strategy, because I'm not the one in the lead, even amongst the moderates, so do I throw my support behind another moderate or the person I don't agree with"

Again, you're arguing that candidates should stay in the contest even though it's obvious that they cannot win. Rational actions here.

evasion. which do you believe happened. both did not occur. which one did.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SirFozzie posted:

Failing to convince a majority of a party's voters that he's the person for the job is not "being taken away from them in literally a night".
What part of 'this isn't about any kind of facts or logic, it's about the narrative people have in their heads' isn't clicking.

If 10% more democrats voted for Hillary in 2016 she'd have swept. I'd imagine you'd have an easier time convincing the neverbernie types to go for him than neverbiden types to go for him, given that one is primarily based on social perception while the other is based on lived experience.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SirFozzie posted:

Well, now we're definitely hosed so thanks "majority of party's voters" (which isn't really a thing, considering the number of states that don't actually have votes). I'd call that "hope being taken away".

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Endorph posted:

What part of 'this isn't about any kind of facts or logic, it's about the narrative people have in their heads' isn't clicking.

i obviously hate this argument and fear it might be accurate

you've made a frankly pretty compelling case

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

That's because no one has gone negative on Biden in a concerted way yet. But Trump's going to, and it's going to hurt.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Look, I get it. While I'm not buried under a mountain of crippling college debt, I have a personal stake in this election. I'm in my 40's, have completely lovely health (so much so that if I don't get disability in June, I have two options. Sponge off my family for the rest of my life, or find a way out.)). I have friends whose fundamental right to exist are under assault (The gains that LGBTQ folks have made is under threat with Trump packing the judiciary). The women's right to choose (if RBG finally succumbs and Trump gets another four years, do you think we'll have a functioning right to abortion access post Trump?)

So I want Trump out. I NEED Trump out. I will vote for Biden, just like I would vote for Sanders. Or Warren, Or Buttigieg. Or... well anyone that's better than Trump."

Biden may be a 15 on a 0-100 scale of comparing to Sanders, but Trump is a -9Trillion on that scale'

edit: You know, saying I'm thinking of killing myself if I don't get disability is.. kinda alarming.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Like, I thought we all collectively understood going in to this thing that the DNC was gonna put every possible thumb on any scale they could get their hands on to keep Bernie from winning. None of this is surprising, nor is it mutually exclusive with a clear-eyed assessment of things the Bernie campaign did well and things they did no-so-well. I don't understand the point of this discussion unless anybody is affirmatively claiming either A) the DNC did not in fact try to make Bernie lose however possible, or B) Bernie's campaign actually did nothing wrong and only lost because of rat-fuckery

I don't see anybody actually asserting either of those things

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

sit on my Facebook posted:

Like, I thought we all collectively understood going in to this thing that the DNC was gonna put every possible thumb on any scale they could get their hands on to keep Bernie from winning. None of this is surprising, nor is it mutually exclusive with a clear-eyed assessment of things the Bernie campaign did well and things they did no-so-well. I don't understand the point of this discussion unless anybody is affirmatively claiming either A) the DNC did not in fact try to make Bernie lose however possible, or B) Bernie's campaign actually did nothing wrong and only lost because of rat-fuckery

I don't see anybody actually asserting either of those things

LT2012 is pretty close to option A there actually. Quelle surprise.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Majorian posted:

That's because no one has gone negative on Biden in a concerted way yet. But Trump's going to, and it's going to hurt.

Trump would go negative against the Pope. And with all the folks who are willing to believe what Trump says over anything else, it's going to hurt no matter what.

(now I'm transitioning to nothing matters? Geez, Foz)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SirFozzie posted:

Look, I get it. While I'm not buried under a mountain of crippling college debt, I have a personal stake in this election. I'm in my 40's, have completely lovely health (so much so that if I don't get disability in June, I have two options. Sponge off my family for the rest of my life, or find a way out.)). I have friends whose fundamental right to exist are under assault (The gains that LGBTQ folks have made is under threat with Trump packing the judiciary). The women's right to choose (if RBG finally succumbs and Trump gets another four years, do you think we'll have a functioning right to abortion access post Trump?)

So I want Trump out. I NEED Trump out. I will vote for Biden, just like I would vote for Sanders. Or Warren, Or Buttigieg. Or... well anyone that's better than Trump."

Biden may be a 15 on a 0-100 scale of comparing to Sanders, but Trump is a -9Trillion on that scale'

edit: You know, saying I'm thinking of killing myself if I don't get disability is.. kinda alarming.
That's fair for you. A lot of people are in the same situation as you but have become so burnt out by it that they refuse to vote for a centrist candidate who probably won't meaningfully improve their situations, just prolong the situation they're currently in rather than make it worse. Those people are going to do that no matter what kind of pitch or angle you try to give them. I don't think they're necessarily wrong to do that. If there's a way to convince them not to do it, chastising them about what they 'need' to do and obliquely threatening them via Trump definitely isn't it.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Majorian posted:

LT2012 is pretty close to option A there actually. Quelle surprise.

Ehhh not really, but also, what else is new right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SirFozzie posted:

Just a heads up, I would begin to temper your expectations that Biden would get a supreme court pick if he wins.

Even if Democrats somehow manage to retake the senate, the plan is to reinstate the fillibuster for SCOTUS nominees when they do.