Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations. I'm gonna install those mods (and maybe some others, boy are there a lot) and see if that helps out.

Short story: One of my Sims was romancing this guy, and it was going well enough that she was going to propose to him. I held off on that while I built up some money to ensure she had a decent place to go once she moved out with her spouse (I didn't know if he had a house or not). Well, he calls her to come over to his house, so this is as good a time as any to pop the question. But she gets there and he's not at home, so she talks to a woman who's on the lot...who turns out to be the guy's new wife. I also met their newborn baby. That sneaky coward couldn't tell her face to face that he got married, so he pulled this stunt! I thought that was a cool unintentional character building moment.

I've only been playing this game for the past month, but it's taken over all my free time. It's scratching the same itch as Crusader Kings 2 for generational hi-jinks. Hopefully my workplace can get me working from home soon, so I can cut back a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Is City Life any good? I'm trying to decide whether to get that or Get To Work next.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Plastic Pal posted:

Is City Life any good? I'm trying to decide whether to get that or Get To Work next.

Both sound cruel in this world where we can neither get to work or go out to the city.

I just have Get to Work, but I have a feeling I'm going to get every pack I missed sometime in the near future.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I've been liking City Life, it's a good simulation of having lovely loud neighbors and landlords that get pissed off when you expect them to fix all the junk in your apartment that breaks all the time. Festivals are whatever, but I guess they can be a nice diversion now and then.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The Sims team posted a roadmap for the next while and long story short, looks like over the next six months we can expect a game pack and one other expansion pack along with the community stuff pack.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I really like City Life but I dislike most of the available lots in San Myshuno. :(

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I'm still mad about this basic-bitch female-identified-college-freshman-in-2002 knitting-rear end knitting pack. Which is totally what they should call it!

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

I'd totally vote for that name.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

I'd totally vote for that name.

Buy that pack in a heartbeat. Better include tomato pin cushions.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm still intensely curious about 2 of the listed possible expansions that were on that survey back around launch

Post-Apocalyptic

and

Superheros

Superheros seems straightforward on its face. It'd be like another magic/weird life states pack but with, presumably, hero and villain active careers of some kind.

Post-apocalyptic is the wild one. It would either have to ship with like a bombed-out cratertown neighborhood, or I think the funnier option would to have it be about playing as a family of Preppers. Either way, I actually would like better tools for making elaborate subterranean bunker homes.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

They’re both cool ideas but I’d rather have them as Sims Medieval-style spinoffs than stapled onto 4.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Superheroes would be so cool! Post-apocalyptic? Rather play Fallout; you can build poo poo there, too.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

They’re both cool ideas but I’d rather have them as Sims Medieval-style spinoffs than stapled onto 4.

We're almost certainly never going to get another spin-off game ever again, so I'd be pretty cool with a Strangerville styled contained campaign. Although if it's an expansion pack then it needs to be way longer and have actual branching paths and multiple approaches to problems instead of a dull checklist.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I want Sims Medieval 2. I want to scream at the sea.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I want Urbz 2

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Leal posted:

I want Urbz 2

I played The Urbz so much in university and would buy The Urbz 2 on announcement day.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Give me The Urbz 2 but specifically the Sequel to the Portable version.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I just want the building tools to let me do the cool stuff I could in 3. Split levels, spiral stairs and ladders, walkout basements, stuff like that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I saw Urbz cosplay earlier this year and was super shocked

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Medieval was nearly great.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Medieval was nearly great.

It’s a game that I’ll suddenly remember exists once every year or two, fire it up to mess around for a little bit, then get hardcore addicted for two weeks before forgetting about it again until next year

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It’s a game that I’ll suddenly remember exists once every year or two, fire it up to mess around for a little bit, then get hardcore addicted for two weeks before forgetting about it again until next year

Honestly, that's every Sims game for me.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Anyone know much about "The Tenants"? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1009560/The_Tenants/

It looks somewhat sims-like with a bit of a twist, and since I'm currently playing as a trailer park owner (with roommates as tenants) in sims 4 it could maybe be a replacement.

I hope whatever comes next is a good mix of all the sims games so far, I miss Sims 2 for some aspects of gameplay and Sims 3 for the open world, but the quality of life stuff in Sims 4 is just too good to drop. What usually ends up happening is I'll get some idea for a scenario to play, then spend a few days building a house for it, and then play an hour or two before I get tired of the game itself. My wife loves the game too and I think my favourite part of the game is when she just asks me to build a lot for her, and then I don't actually have to play after, I just check in with her for story updates occasionally.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

You're the landlord. You don't play one of the characters.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Koobze posted:

Anyone know much about "The Tenants"? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1009560/The_Tenants/

It looks somewhat sims-like with a bit of a twist, and since I'm currently playing as a trailer park owner (with roommates as tenants) in sims 4 it could maybe be a replacement.

I hope whatever comes next is a good mix of all the sims games so far, I miss Sims 2 for some aspects of gameplay and Sims 3 for the open world, but the quality of life stuff in Sims 4 is just too good to drop. What usually ends up happening is I'll get some idea for a scenario to play, then spend a few days building a house for it, and then play an hour or two before I get tired of the game itself. My wife loves the game too and I think my favourite part of the game is when she just asks me to build a lot for her, and then I don't actually have to play after, I just check in with her for story updates occasionally.

Yeah...don't really want to play Landlord Simulator.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

How are:
University
Jungle Adventure
Outdoor retreat

Currently on sale in the PlayStation store. University is $20 and the other two are $15.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

fit em all up in there posted:

How are:
University
Jungle Adventure
Outdoor retreat

Currently on sale in the PlayStation store. University is $20 and the other two are $15.

All mediocre. Jungle Adventure is fun and has some nice items, CAS, and the archaeology skill. I was really looking forward to University but apart from its excellent CAS it's bland and boring and feels like a slog, so meh

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

University is way too finicky about being successful in class in my experience. One of my Sims ended up on academic probation in his second semester for reasons I couldn't figure out, so I made sure that he completed all his homework on time, left for class ASAP, and his papers and presentations were submitted at excellent quality. The semester ended and he failed another class, so I decided to just drop out. Also, this whole process took over the entirety of his young adult stage. If the intended message of the expansion is that going to college is a total waste of the best years of your life, then it did a marvelous job. I think I'll try a mod that reduces the number of classes required to graduate and see if that helps.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
How do lifespan changes actually work? Can you set it to Long, go to university for 3 weeks, set it back to Normal and not be halfway through the sim's lifespan?

I think probably not, if so I recommend going Long for the life stage of the student, then when they age up, turn it back to Normal. Pretty sure that way you lose nothing and it's a bit more like having a university-specific few weeks, like in Sims 2.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

eating only apples posted:

All mediocre. Jungle Adventure is fun and has some nice items, CAS, and the archaeology skill. I was really looking forward to University but apart from its excellent CAS it's bland and boring and feels like a slog, so meh

Doesn't it add roommates, though? So there is that.

I'm still not 100% how they work.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

ajkalan posted:

University is way too finicky about being successful in class in my experience. One of my Sims ended up on academic probation in his second semester for reasons I couldn't figure out, so I made sure that he completed all his homework on time, left for class ASAP, and his papers and presentations were submitted at excellent quality. The semester ended and he failed another class, so I decided to just drop out. Also, this whole process took over the entirety of his young adult stage. If the intended message of the expansion is that going to college is a total waste of the best years of your life, then it did a marvelous job. I think I'll try a mod that reduces the number of classes required to graduate and see if that helps.

Yeah; University is broken and I hate it.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I just bought The Sims 4 and have only played a few hours, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. I want to make a vampiric celebrity actress and started out in Forgotten Hollow to gain some experience, but want to move her to Del Sol Valley eventually. Can I move back and forth between FH and DSV without problems? Will my houses and relationships stay the same when I return?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Freudian slippers posted:

I just bought The Sims 4 and have only played a few hours, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. I want to make a vampiric celebrity actress and started out in Forgotten Hollow to gain some experience, but want to move her to Del Sol Valley eventually. Can I move back and forth between FH and DSV without problems? Will my houses and relationships stay the same when I return?

You can move her as often as you like and it won't affect relationships, but you'll have to keep rebuying the houses.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Thanks! Do I have to demolish the entire house and sell all inventory before I move, or will the value automatically be added to the sims account when she arrives in a new place?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Freudian slippers posted:

Thanks! Do I have to demolish the entire house and sell all inventory before I move, or will the value automatically be added to the sims account when she arrives in a new place?

No, you can just move. You can choose to keep or "sell" the furniture, in which case your furniture stays where you left it in the old house and you get the cash equivalent back.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
I actually really like University. Apart from the occasional “what the heck why did my sim fail that class” (which in many ways adds realism) I’ve had a lot of fun with it. The two different school options are great and although it’s hard work you do jump in very near the top of the career paths afterwards. If it bothers you that it takes most of a young adult lifespan there are easy ways to fix that (I usually just switch to long lifespan for the duration that my active Sim is in university, then switch back).

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I just get mad because no matter how hard my sims works- class performance, maxing term paper editing, etc- she will ALWAYS, without fail, get a D or worse in at least one class. I can sometimes avoid it if they only take 2 classes, but then graduating takes waaay too long.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
That's a little disappointing to hear about your frustrations with University. Supposing I've already kind of bought the expansion pack, though, are there perhaps any mods or anything that help to address some issues?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I've seen some videos about Paralives cropping up on Youtube, which seems like it's actually looking to challenge the Sims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Bobfly posted:

That's a little disappointing to hear about your frustrations with University. Supposing I've already kind of bought the expansion pack, though, are there perhaps any mods or anything that help to address some issues?

I'm not sure about mods- I just took a quick squizz at Google and didn't see anything- but I think one thing that affects me in particular is that I rarely have my Sims live on campus. Someone suggested a while back in this thread that timing seems to have a really crucial correlation with performance, and my Sims are usually flying on their brooms all the way from Sulani to attend class.

It does help to set the Sim's in-class performance standard to "Take Notes," but that doesn't seem foolproof. Honestly, it's kind of random- I'll have turned in all the homework, done the presentation well and early or editing the term paper way more than I needed to, and it'll still occasionally give me a D. Whereas I've passed classes where the work WASN'T finished with a B!

E: It's still a great pack in terms of CAS content! It's just not working for me right now. Then again, it took me until yesterday many years of playing before I actually used a thermostat, so...